I just got a horse trailer, tips?

Lipsmackerpony88
Bringing Life to the DDBB

I just got a horse trailer, tips?

Postby Lipsmackerpony88 » Sun Mar 20, 2022 4:29 pm

I just got a horse trailer, first one I've had since I was a kid. Pretty excited. It's not fancy, just a 2h bumper pull. Sometimes I'll just be hauling Lynx, but sometimes my SIL will be with us and her 14.2 hand horse.

I have a few questions about hauling safely and some improvements that might need to be added to the trailer.

First off, there is no butt bar or chains. It's a step down trailer with a door. Should I look to getting butt chains added? Or just diligently work on teaching the horses to wait to start backing (obviously should do this anyway.)

There is also no real places to tie in the trailer. Besides just the bars. I'm not sure if that's too high for me or not I'll have to look again. Nothing on the inside or outside. So maybe I should look at adding some tie rings. I know that you have to be very careful about where you add them so that they are reinforced. And obviously they still need to be pretty high.

Any tips on safely loading and unloading in a 2h bumper pull? I'm more familiar with slant loads. But the market is tight right now and I think this trailer will be fine for now. I just want to make sure that we are safe as possible.

Lynx is good about Trailering but we will definitely practice. I am not sure if he's been in a straight load before.

Lipsmackerpony88

Re: I just got a horse trailer, tips?

Postby Lipsmackerpony88 » Sun Mar 20, 2022 4:30 pm

Here is the inside.
Attachments
Screenshot_20220320-101219_copy_364x453.png
Screenshot_20220320-101219_copy_364x453.png (91 KiB) Viewed 5636 times

Lipsmackerpony88

Postby Lipsmackerpony88 » Sun Mar 20, 2022 4:32 pm

I guess we can probably tie to the bars?
Attachments
PXL_20220319_202917264_copy_1209x1612_copy_483x644.jpg
PXL_20220319_202917264_copy_1209x1612_copy_483x644.jpg (135.99 KiB) Viewed 5635 times

Lipsmackerpony88

Postby Lipsmackerpony88 » Sun Mar 20, 2022 4:40 pm

I'm very safety cautious, so I'll admit I get nervous about Trailering. I'll definitely have my trainers help and won't haul alone (maybe ever.) But still. Just trying to figure out the best way to work with this type of trailer.
Attachments
Screenshot_20220320-101154_copy_336x387.png
Screenshot_20220320-101154_copy_336x387.png (165.53 KiB) Viewed 5632 times

Moutaineer

Postby Moutaineer » Sun Mar 20, 2022 5:22 pm

Congratulations! It looks like a nice rig!

I would absolutely add butt bars. You do not want to unlatch the door and have a horse flying back at you. And even the best trained horse have their moments, as we all know.

Do not stand directly behind the horse to do up the butt bar.

Isn't that a tie loop in the floor of the manger area? If so, stick a loop of baling twine around it and tie to that. Don't try and tie to the window bars, they really aren't designed for it, and the side bars would require your getting in the trailer with the horse. A really big no no without an escape door.

exvet

Postby exvet » Sun Mar 20, 2022 5:22 pm

I actually like your trailer quite a bit. The front end looks to be quite open and roomy/inviting. The last several I taught to load were babies which was far easier in my opinion because I could load mom and then the baby would hop right on. I purchased Brandon as a well-handled but never trained to do anything other than lead horse. His first time on the trailer EVER was when I pulled up with my trailer with the stinker pony on board. We unloaded the stinker and loaded Brandon first because mine is a slant and felt he would do better in the first position. Thank God for the Morgan's sense of stomach first because he saw the alfalfa and sailed on. I guess my point is a lot of bold, inquisitive types won't question the process unless you do.

I've had straight loads in the past and really like them. I always started with just getting my horses used to walking up and stepping up, one foot at a time with no real pressure and lots of praise. I would gradually build them up to being fed in the trailer. Sometimes this process took a couple of weeks but most of the time I could get it done in a day or a weekend. I did have one horse who was rather difficult and I ended up putting the trailer in his turnout (hooked to the truck) and the only time he was fed his grain was on the trailer. I had to start by feeding him towards the back (got two feet in) and then moving the food more forward. After a few days he was loading and unloading himself. It's obviously easier when you have your own property and can set up the situation without having time constraints to deal with. There's lots of threads on this and OTOB that goes through in more detail how to train your horse to load. I don't use my butt chains BTW but then my horses are easy to load and unload.

I'm afraid I don't have any real words of wisdom with regards to anxiety of the human when trailering. I've been driving since I was 8 years old and was hauling cattle and horses before I even had a driving permit. My mother lied about my birthday so I could get my driving permit and drivers license after that, a year early because she hated driving that much..........of course she's the one who had her driver's license medically suspended and has pissed and moaned about it every since :roll: Point being is that I've never been given an opportunity to question or think about it........just had to do it. I taught my kids to haul a trailer and actually parking and backing it up by taking them late at night or on Sundays to a local out-of-business KMart parking lot and simply let them loose. We all got along a lot better that way ;) They also had to haul it around our ranch property many, many times before they were allowed on public roads.

Congratulations on your new trailer. I find having one to be one of the most liberating aspects of horse ownership (outside of having the horse).

Moutaineer

Postby Moutaineer » Sun Mar 20, 2022 5:31 pm

Curious, how does that center divider stay put when in use without butt bars? There isn't a center post, which is a really good thing! In mine, the heavy butt bars provide the structure.

Lipsmackerpony88

Postby Lipsmackerpony88 » Sun Mar 20, 2022 5:44 pm

Exvet, thank you! So far Lynx loads well, so hopefully this straight load won't be a big deal. But as you said, I need to make it not a big deal to myself!!

And will definitely go practice in a parking lot. I'll probably rely on family members driving it for a bit. Everyone is more experienced than I as far as driving them.

Lipsmackerpony88

Postby Lipsmackerpony88 » Sun Mar 20, 2022 5:46 pm

Mountaineer, there actually is a bar for the middle that is removable. The lady only had one horse so she would use it as a slant load if she was alone. So if I'm hauling two, I will need to put the middle bar in again.

I do think I'll look for butt bars. I think they make it much safer.

Tanga
500 post plus club

Postby Tanga » Sun Mar 20, 2022 6:24 pm

OMG. Apparently I didn't save my post. Agree, I would add a chain or butt bars. You need to be able to open the door without anyone backing right out.

I don't tie my horses. I don't see the point in tying to the side.

If you want more room for a slant load, you can leave the divider to the side, but I always load mine straight and use the divider and chain because I think they like the support. I have a four horse stock.

Lipsmackerpony88

Postby Lipsmackerpony88 » Sun Mar 20, 2022 6:31 pm

Tanga, I hate when posts go poof! I'll definitely get butt bars.

Chisamba

Postby Chisamba » Sun Mar 20, 2022 6:40 pm

The person you purchased the trailer from must have removed the center support and the butt bars. I agree , you need both. I do tie to the trailer . I use a blocker tie but I would like to have something on the side to hook it to.

Congratulations, it looks like a nice trailer.

Lipsmackerpony88

Postby Lipsmackerpony88 » Sun Mar 20, 2022 6:54 pm

Chisamba wrote:The person you purchased the trailer from must have removed the center support and the butt bars. I agree , you need both. I do tie to the trailer . I use a blocker tie but I would like to have something on the side to hook it to.

Congratulations, it looks like a nice trailer.

It actually has a middle support bar but she would remove it if she was only hauling one horse. But no butt bars. The trailer is older (1989) but was completely rebuilt just a few years ago.

Definitely need hooks on the side! I'm surprised there aren't any. Her horse and her were pretty tall, I wonder if she tried to the bars on top? Awfully high though, definitely won't work for me!

Lipsmackerpony88

Postby Lipsmackerpony88 » Sun Mar 20, 2022 6:54 pm

Thank you guys. I'm excited to have a little freedom. :)

StraightForward

Postby StraightForward » Sun Mar 20, 2022 7:04 pm

That is exciting! A trailer place can easily add tie rings, either welded or bolted onto the frame. I think it was less than $20 apiece when I had some added to my old trailer. They might be able to fabricate butt bars for you too. I would prefer something solid rather than a rope or chain where the horse could push back and then potentially slip a foot of the edge while the chain is still done up.
Keep calm and canter on.

Lipsmackerpony88

Postby Lipsmackerpony88 » Sun Mar 20, 2022 7:32 pm

Straightforward, good point about the slipping and having a butt bar for more support.

I think there are a few trailer places near by us so that should be easy enough.

Flight

Postby Flight » Sun Mar 20, 2022 9:13 pm

We tend to only have ramps, rather than a big door like that at the back. I'd be more comfortable having bum bars too. Tips from me is untie first before opening the back and dont stand directly behind when opening the rear door.
I remember my first float, it was poo yellow. I was so excited!

Canyon
500 post plus club

Postby Canyon » Sun Mar 20, 2022 9:38 pm

That looks like a great refurbished trailer! Congrats!

I would definitely have tie rings added both inside and out. When I had my first trailer, a two-horse straight load, I usually only hauled one horse at a time and sometimes did not tie the horse. But, one time I arrived at a show, opened up the back to unload, and found my big warmblood with his head and neck bent around and stuck, looking back at me. Somehow he untangled himself without harm. And, as others have said, get butt bars added.

My current trailer, a three-horse slant, has a big heavy rear door like yours. It can be a pain when (un)loading in the wind or if parked on a slight slant. I have a piece of rope the right length with a loop on one end to go over the door bracket and a clip on the other end to fasten to the outside tie ring. That keeps the door from closing until we’re done (un)loading and saves a lot of aggravation.

Moutaineer

Postby Moutaineer » Sun Mar 20, 2022 10:25 pm

Learn to drive your own trailer. You can do it. Its always nice to know that you can hitch up and go in an emergency.

Consider some of the other people you see doing it. It can't be rocket science if they manage it :)

goldhorse
Herd Member

Postby goldhorse » Mon Mar 21, 2022 12:36 am

I carry a small box full of little doo dads that may come in handy. Screwdriver. Pliers. Carabiners. Baling twine. Hitch pin. Cotter pins. Coupler pins. I once gave a coupler pin to someone at the vet clinic who didn't have one installed on his hitch. And those things always go missing. Here's a site to give you an idea of stuff that you might want.
https://www.horsetraileraccessorystore.com/

Definitely take it into a trailer store for a once over. Make sure the electrical is compatible with your truck. Make sure the breakaway battery is still working. Have them make sure that your safety chains meet your state requirements.

demi

Postby demi » Mon Mar 21, 2022 1:58 pm

That’s great, LSP! Lots of good advice on the thread so far. I’ll add a few bits from my own experience.

I pulled a trailer in high school because I worked for a horse dealer. She was usually with me, and I didnt have to worry about anything other than driving carefully and safely. It was different when I got my own trailer after I graduated from college. Then I was usually alone. Even tho I already knew how to pull, I was nervous at first because the responsibility was all mine. I right off gave myself a lot of confidence by being fully prepared. My first truck and trailer were used, but like your trailer, they were in good condition. I made sure, and still do, that my truck was in good running order. I still check the tire pressures before most trips even if Im using it every week. It only takes a minute and I keep a good pressure gauge in the truck. I don’t let my gas tank get below half full. It’s possible where I live that I could get caught in traffic but I don’t have to worry I might run out of gas. I always worry that in an accident I might have to unload a nervous horse on a freeway so I also have the number of a local towing company that can load my truck on a bed, and pull the trailer. Ive never had to use them but I’ve talked the owner and am confident that if worse came to worse, my horse would be safe.

My current trailer is a step up and when it’s raining or wet, that first step into the trailer is slippery, even with shavings. So I keep a little bucket of sand in the trailer and sprinkle it for traction if necessary. I also keep a spare halter and lead. I use trailer ties that have an quick release snap on the trailer end, and I have them adjusted for the right length. I just leave them in the trailer and hook the horse after it’s loaded and doors are closed.

I also have a little ramp thing for a flat (it only works for two axle trailers). Ive never had to use it but it would be easier to use than a jack. I did have to jack a 4 horse stock trailer when I was in high school and it was a little scary.

Good luck, have fun and enjoy the benefits of having your own rig!

Lipsmackerpony88

Postby Lipsmackerpony88 » Mon Mar 21, 2022 6:25 pm

Thank you all for the great suggestions!!

goldhorse
Herd Member

Postby goldhorse » Mon Mar 21, 2022 11:44 pm

To paraphrase Mountaineer, if I can learn to pull a horse trailer, you can too. :lol:
Pretend you're about 40 years older than you are. Drive like a little old lady. Take forever to come up to speed and at least triple the time to come to a stop that you would do in a car. Don't accelerate in a 90 degree turn until your rig is straight. Leave lots of room on the highway and expect that idiots will jump into that space. Expect that people merging onto the highway are clueless and will expect you to move over. Hold your line!

Also, every time, and I mean every time, before I get behind the wheel, I triple check the hitch. It can even be a trip to the vet clinic and when I'm ready to go home, I triple check the hitch.

My first trailer was similar to yours. I bought it because I once felt stranded when my horse was having frequent colics and no one was available to take me to Davis. I swore "Never Again" and I pieced together my first rig. It was such a sense of freedom. You will have a blast!

Lipsmackerpony88

Postby Lipsmackerpony88 » Tue Mar 22, 2022 3:05 pm

I drive like a grandma anyways so that won't be hard! Ha ha

I'm definitely excited to get out a bit this summer, without begging for a ride!

blob

Postby blob » Thu Mar 24, 2022 2:35 pm

congrats, LSP!

Relevant thread for me. I also recently got a trailer--well put a deposit on it and am waiting for it to arrive. But I have 0 trailering experience, so I too will be wanting/needing to learn.

heddylamar

Postby heddylamar » Thu Mar 24, 2022 6:00 pm

Learn to park. You can't presume everywhere will have drive forward/through parking. Learn to back into a space, around things, much like backing a car into a parking spot. Empty parking lots with lines (and curbs, eventually) are perfect for practicing. It will teach the spacial awareness that you'll need for driving places like gas stations/Starbucks and merging on the interstate.

At my current teensy little barn, the only trailer parking is single file (awesome now that I'm the only trailer owner) that requires you to back in between a fence and trees, while missing the other fence that runs perpendicular with the nose of the truck. It's our form of hazing :lol:

Ditto all of the fabulous advice above. Spare halters/leads, tire jack, triple checking the hitch every single time. I'd add build out a thorough emergency kit. I keep all my meds and bandages in the horse trailer — quick-clot, wound glue, poultices, bandages, sterile gauze, sterile solution (so I can always irrigate a wound when we're out), gloves, various ointments, etc. And I have a box of fuses, WD-40, and grease stashed in the "brush box" in the trailer door.

StraightForward

Postby StraightForward » Thu Mar 24, 2022 6:18 pm

Oh yeah, backing up. It seems to be common knowledge to some, but I struggled with backing until someone gave me the tip of putting your hand on the bottom of the steering wheel and then moving your hand in the direction you want the trailer to turn. Makes it much easier at least until you get more used to backing.

Learning to back a gooseneck has been a whole 'nother learning curve and quite humbling. :lol:
Keep calm and canter on.

heddylamar

Postby heddylamar » Thu Mar 24, 2022 8:05 pm

StraightForward wrote:Learning to back a gooseneck has been a whole 'nother learning curve and quite humbling. :lol:

I'm trading rigs with my mom in a few weeks — we're moving, and my truck is not a fun drive on the interstate — and will be hauling her gooseneck. I've hauled her gooseneck several thousand miles, and that's the type of rig (2- or 4-horse gooseneck) that I grew up hauling. But it's been a few years.

Hopefully, I'll be able to back up like a pro by the time I get back here and need to park :lol:

StraightForward

Postby StraightForward » Thu Mar 24, 2022 8:38 pm

Another boarder at my barn has a gooseneck and said they need to be backed up "delicately" which helped me. Turn the wheel less than you think you need, and straighten the rig sooner than you think. Sometimes I can back it down the driveway on my first try, other days I'm stuck halfway out in the street straightening, adjusting, blocking traffic and swearing.
Keep calm and canter on.

demi

Postby demi » Thu Mar 24, 2022 9:03 pm

About checking the hitch, I have a routine that I say out loud the first time I hook up. Then I recheck right before I move the trailer to load up, and again right before I drive off. Unhitching isn’t quite as important as hitching, but you have to still be careful and remember stuff like unhooking the safety chains, and if you have a gooseneck, lowering the tailgate before you drive off.

I like my gooseneck because it seems more stable than the bumper pulls. I’ve had both and don’t think the gooseneck is any harder to back up. The key for me with either one is just to take time. In Texas, any trailer over 10K GVW has to be inspected yearly. I thought I was pretty at backing but the inspection station I use is small and tight-in, and I found out that I wasn’t all that good at backing! It took me forever the first time and when they were done with it, the owner whipped it around and back so fast I told him next time he could park it for me. Now I just park it on the street for inspection and they come out and get it for me!

exvet

Postby exvet » Fri Mar 25, 2022 6:09 am

Demi I'm so there with you. I grew up hauling a variety of trailers. Goosenecks are by far the easiest to haul. At the end of the day, I'm happy to have a two horse bumper pull because it's simply smaller. I can turn and park that thing on a dime, seriously. I think I'm going to trade my trailer in for a 3 horse bumper pull through for ease in going between our summer place and full time home. Ironic for me in many ways. Whatever you haul you simply have to get used to dealing with it. Once you get used to the play in the steering, well it's all good from there. But don't let anyone else know that you've got it down because if you do, you'll spend all your time backing everyone else's trailer at every event. Just sayin'

demi

Postby demi » Sun Mar 27, 2022 6:37 pm

Funny, Exvet, I’ve been thinking about trading my GN in for a little BP. I got the GN for my 16.1 HH Hanoverian mare, Demi, because I wanted to eventually show her. Unfortunately she got sick and I ended up using the big trailer mainly to haul her back and forth to Houston (3 1/2 hours one way) to the specialty vet. I don’t haul far anymore, I dont need a dressing room, and a little trailer wouldn’t need the yearly state inspection. They only check the brakes and lights which I do on my own anyway. A little run about BP would just be easier and simpler at this stage in my life.

My GN is a Platinum Coach slant load, 7.5’ wide and 7.5’ tall, with a dressing room. I didnt get the back tack room that slants often have so it has more room for the horses. Plus, i had a few feet taken out of the dressing room so the first stall (Demi’s) would have even more room. If I ever had to evacuate for a wild fire (a danger in this area), the divider is adjustable so I could open it all the way and load all three of my little horses without a divider. That’s not a good enough reason to keep the big trailer because my BFF is only 11 miles away, and she would come at a moments notice with her stock trailer to pick mine up and take them to her place.

I started looking at comparable BPs and was shocked at the price. The Platinum version is really nice, but it’s still over the 10K lb GVW. The Exiss CFX Express is smaller but very nice and under 10K lbs, but a new one is 3500$ more than I paid for my fancy GN. If I can get over the sticker shock (well, mainly, if I can get DH over the sticker shock :lol: ) I may trade for the little Exiss.

texsuze
500 post plus club

Postby texsuze » Sun Mar 27, 2022 9:31 pm

Demi, you have a PM.

demi

Postby demi » Sun Mar 27, 2022 11:24 pm

Oops. Accidentally replied here so i cut it and will paste it in PM.

Quelah
Herd Member

Postby Quelah » Mon Mar 28, 2022 6:41 pm

Couple of things, and I haven't read the whole thread so this may be repeats.

Don't tie to the bars. Get some rings welded inside. One of my trailers has mangers, I'll take a pic if you need them. I do a PSA on FB every year not to tie to bars. The most horrific trailer accident I was ever called to came from a two horse trailer with stock sides and the horses were tied to the bars. I'll give you the gory details if you want but suffice to say one horse was dead, the owner was in a state of catatonic shock, and the highway patrol officer was wondering if it should be considered a crime scene.

A little tip on driving reeeeeallll smooth. Emergency stops aside, when you go to decelerate or coast, lift your foot gently from the accelerator. *Most* trucks are geared a little tighter than passenger cars and depending were you are in the RPM power curve, quickly lifting your foot off the gas pedal causes a bit of a deceleration *bump*. No biggie and hardly noticeable if you're sitting comfy in a seat, a bigger deal if you're standing and unaware that it's coming. Think of standing on a subway train.

I have both butt chains and bars. Butt bars are way better. Way. Make sure they are installed so that they will actually prevent said butt from pushing on the door.

Always check that all aspects of your hitch are secure. Always. Always. If you have turned your back on your trailer, check your hitch before you drive again. Same with the back door. In checking your hitch, always make sure that the big nut that holds the ball on is tight. Carry a big ass crescent wrench the right size for that nut in case it isn't.

Don't talk to people while you're hitching your trailer. This is new to you, focus on what you're doing.

Get one of those drive on trailer jacks. Since sliced bread kind of thing. The bestest, they're inexpensive and last forever. Make sure your spare is solid and you have the right size tools for your lug nuts. If you want to be fancy, get a cordless impact wrench for that. Make sure battery is charged. These are the kinds of things that by having them, you may never need them. Even if you never need them, someday someone will and you will look like the bees knees when you have the cool things.

Congrats on your trailer, take your time, practice, get comfortable with it. You'll have a blast, your world has expanded!

Kyras_Mom
Herd Member

Postby Kyras_Mom » Tue Mar 29, 2022 2:28 am

What Quelah says!!!!

Susan

Lipsmackerpony88

Postby Lipsmackerpony88 » Tue Mar 29, 2022 7:16 pm

Quelah, thank you so much!! Lots of good tips. I get tie rings installed for sure. Can your elaborate on why time to the bars caused such a horrible thing? Just trying to work out where to put the rings and everything.

I'll definitely be practicing for a while before hauling. I'm a bit paranoid in nature so I definitely want to make sure that we are ready!

Quelah
Herd Member

Postby Quelah » Thu Mar 31, 2022 11:49 pm

Sure. So tying to the stock type bars. When you do that, and you will often see this, the lead rope (usually loop chained up) often winds up on the outside the trailer. By design, so the horses don't chew it, or the horse is led in, rope tossed out, tied from the outside so it can then be untied from the outside, etc.

Truisms. There is concrete that has cracks, and concrete that has not yet cracked. There are tied horses who have come untied, and horses that have not yet come untied.

In this case, a two horse trailer with what I call stocks sides, much like your new trailer Lipsmacker, but this was a slant with a front dressing room.

Two horses in the trailer. The lead rope of the rear horse had come untied, and had flapped around for how long no one knows, until it got caught up by the more forward of the two trailer tires on that side. This happened on the freeway, so, 55ish miles an hour. I don't know how long or what went on when that happened. As I said, the owner was in a catatonic state of shock in the back seat of the patrol car and was taken away by ambulance while I was there.

When I arrived the truck, trailer, and highway patrol were on the shoulder of the highway. The rear horse in the trailer was dead. Both horses were wearing rope halters with no hardware, the yacht braid lead rope loops through the chin of the halter if you know what I mean. The halter and lead did not break. It is my sincere hope that the horse's neck was broken or his brain was crushed fairly quickly or whatever it took and he lost consciousness quickly. I don't know, but that's my hope. His head was pulled part way through the side of the trailer and his neck was mostly severed by the halter. There was a lot of blood in the trailer. A lot.

The horse in front was shockingly ok. He was uninjured. That's why I think the rear horse died quickly.

After the ambulance took the owner away, cause humans come first in these things, they just do. I cut the lead rope between the wheel and the halter, then I drove the lady's truck and trailer off the freeway, the next exit was close, and it being farm country and an area that I knew, I knew the first thing off the exit was a dairy. We had to remove the dead horse to get the live horse out. UC Davis was already aware of the incident, that's where the highway patrol had gotten my number. The short drive off the freeway had been enough to get the dead horse's head unstuck and he was on the floor. I called UCD and got permission to sedate the front horse. I had to climb over the dead horse and duck under the divider. I gave him a stiff dose of dormosedan, then pulled the dead horse out with the help of the dairy guys and their tractor to whom I shall forever be grateful. Dragging the dead horse out swept some but not all of the blood out. Closed the back of the trailer, had the dairy guy *carefully* pull the trailer in a big u turn because I was soaked in blood from about the knees down and didn't want to get in the lady's truck like that.

Unloaded very sleepy live horsey. Handed live horsey to lovely dairy guy. Hopped in the back seat (cause i was all bloody and back seats of police cars can usually be hosed out to a large degree) of the patrol car, went back to my truck and trailer (remember it's back on the shoulder of the highway) grabbed my spare clothes and shoes out of the dressing room (another good thing to keep in your trailer), changed in the horse compartment, threw bloody stuff in the bed of the truck (and later the trash, the shoes weren't savable). Drove back to the dairy, took spare leather halter out of dressing room, swapped it for the rope halter ( I will not haul with a rope halter. Will.not.) loaded sleepy horsey into my trailer, sweet sleepy horsey, he was a good boy.

Suggested to CHP officer that lady's truck and trailer would be safe with dairy people. Also that if asked they could dispose of dead horse, and if asked nicely, would probably pressure wash out the inside the horse compartment.

Took sweet sleepy survivor to UCD for full check up and safest custody until his owner recovered or her family was contacted or whatever.

That's the end of the story as I know it. I didn't send anyone a bill for that. There's some stuff people don't need to see show up in their check register, no one needs a reminder of that.

So don't tie to the bars and don't haul in rope halters.

StraightForward

Postby StraightForward » Fri Apr 01, 2022 12:17 am

Wow Quelah, that is quite a story; I can't imagine. And very kind of you to take care of so much and not bill for it.

That seems like a good argument for trailer ties instead of tying with a lead rope too. What is your opinion on that? Lead rope out the side of the trailer is one situation where a Blocker wouldn't help. I used to have the kind of ties that were sandwiched Velcro, but my last mare learned a maneuver of her neck that would undo them immediately on every trailer ride, and I think I left them in my old trailer when I sold it. I tie to Blocker rings now, but my trailer is fully enclosed with screened windows.
Keep calm and canter on.

Lipsmackerpony88

Postby Lipsmackerpony88 » Fri Apr 01, 2022 4:53 am

Quelah, gosh that's awful. Traumatizing for sure. Yikes.

Okay so no rope halters, probably use trailer ties as well? And I'll get tie loops installed inside for sure.

Thanks for sharing even as gruesome as it is. Sobering.

Quelah
Herd Member

Postby Quelah » Fri Apr 01, 2022 4:08 pm

My trailer is fully enclosed with screened windows. Because it's a Hawk and they come that way, but I like the screens because of flying (stinging) insects and then in the years after I got the trailer I've evacuated horses from fires. I'm not driving into the heart of of a firestorm, no one should, you're going to put other people's (firefighters) lives at risk if you do that, but even on the periphery of a big fire, blowing embers are a risk.

I don't use trailer ties, I use long yacht braid type lead ropes with a snap as trailer ties. They're infinitely adjustable for length, and because 95% of the time I'm by myself with loading or unloading, I like to always have the option of a long lead attached. Usually the lead rope tied in the trailer stays in the trailer and I use the rope that comes with the halter for loading and unloading, but I like having the extra lead option available.

I'm not hauling other people's horses anymore but when I was I liked to have the option of exposing my body to the horse as little as possible in case the horse was sketchy. I *mostly* hauled show horses with a lot of miles, but when they're sick or hurting, they can get sketchy too. With trailer ties you've either got to get right up to the horse's head, or some degree of committed to disconnect the trailer tie from the trailer, but then you've got a horse with a trailer tie attached which is going to do nothing useful but whip around and hit you or the horse if the horse swings its head around, as even the best ones do when they first get out of a trailer.

Having a properly done up long lead as a trailer tie allows you to pull the tail of the rope and undo it while being the least vulnerable to getting stomped. You'll be hauling your own nice horse so probably not a worry but that's how I look at it.

If the rope is tied to a ring in the manger area, the rope shouldn't be able to get out the slats. If that's still a possibility, then I probably would use a trailer tie. Think about which end would be safest to access if the horse was having a moment, and put a panic snap on that end. Always carry a really sharp good sized folding knife in the tack compartment. And in the door pocket of your truck. You have a steel trailer. I would put a magnet on the wall of tack compartment and stick the knife to the wall. If you ever need it you won't want to be digging for it. You may never need it, I never have, but I've loaned it to other people. There's nothing like hearing thrashing horse sounds and someone yelling "I need a knife!" and you can be all "Here I come to save the day!" Real cowboys always carry a super sharp pocked knife, there's a reason. When you get your knife, sacrifice a lead rope and make sure it's sharp enough to cut through quickly. If it's not, have someone sharpen it for you.

Aleuronx
Herd Member

Postby Aleuronx » Fri Apr 01, 2022 8:26 pm

I defer to Quelah as the expert on this but there are few key things I had in trailer before it's first haul with me.

1. Sharp knife (One in truck, one in trailer dressing room)
2. Fire extinguisher (One in truck, one in trailer dressing room)
3. Rubber sledgehammer (small/12")
4. WD-40 (One in truck, one in trailer dressing room)

The rubber sledgehammer has been invaluable for winter hauling, removing frozen wheel chocks from the ground or all sorts of things that need a little 'umph.

Quelah
Herd Member

Postby Quelah » Fri Apr 01, 2022 10:35 pm

Yes all those things Aleuronx! I carry a regular 5 lb sledge, mostly because it's needed to open and shut the latches on the hydraulic dump trailer, and since I usually have the sledge, a box of nitrile gloves, and a roll of duct tape on the floor in the back seat, it's a good conversation starter too LOL

Lipsmackerpony88

Postby Lipsmackerpony88 » Sat Apr 02, 2022 6:05 pm

This is all so helpful guys, thank you!

Return to “The Observation Lounge/ Cookbook Forum even Hot Topics”