How much do I hate mud???

PaulaO
Bringing Life to the DDBB

How much do I hate mud???

Postby PaulaO » Fri Jan 13, 2023 2:58 pm

Yesterday was, shall I say, interesting. The ground here is very soft and very clay like mud at the gate of the horses pasture. I put Ariel back in her pasture after riding and as I turned to leave my boots got stuck and I fell in front of her. As I am lying in the mud like a stuck turtle, her best friend sticks her nose up Ariel‘s butt. Ariel jumps over me which is very scary because all I see are horse hooves coming at my head, and Ariel runs out of the pasture. Fortunately she was the only one who escaped and the rest of the horses ran to the other side of the pasture leaving me still stuck in the mud. I managed to get up but fell again. By this time Ariel has run up and down and around . I looped the lead rope around the gate and heaved myself up literally covered in mud. I captured her. No damage was done but I had to drive home in my underpants because my britches were solid mud.

Fortunately I had long underwear on so I wasn’t totally nekkid on the drive home.

P.S. I still had my helmet on when I fell. From now on I will take someone with when I go to her pasture. Also, there is a second gate in a much less muddy area that up until my accident was hot wired. Gabriel cut the wire so now I can go in and out safely.

Chisamba

Re: How much do I hate mud???

Postby Chisamba » Fri Jan 13, 2023 5:11 pm

Well that's quite an experience!

piedmontfields

Postby piedmontfields » Fri Jan 13, 2023 5:56 pm

Whoa, I am really glad you are okay Paula! It's these kinds of "simple" accidents that can catch up to us sometimes.

Your risk management plan sounds good (and keep up with the helmet wearing!).

Tanga
500 post plus club

Postby Tanga » Fri Jan 13, 2023 8:23 pm

Glad you are OK! Same conditions here. I have to be very careful walking to get the horses for getting stuck in the mud or falling. I have all of the equipment to deal with it, but I am getting a whole new level of workout with the waterproof riding boots and walking in mud and in them all day.

So far the road to the barn hasn't collapsed, just part of it past where I turn into the barn. Mud, mud, everywhere.

PaulaO

Postby PaulaO » Fri Jan 13, 2023 9:08 pm

Today was a much less interesting day. I brought someone with me while getting Ariel and we went through the side gate. The side gate has very little mud and Ariel comes when I call her so I didn’t even have to go into the pasture except to snap on her lead rope. The ground froze last night so the mud is slowly turning into ruts which I’d rather have than mud. The odd thing is the mud literally appeared overnight. The good thing is I came home with my pants on today.

Kyras_Mom
Herd Member

Postby Kyras_Mom » Fri Jan 13, 2023 9:19 pm

I feel ya’. The last barn I was at, one particularly wet winter while I was cleaning and sieving the water from the poop, My boots got stuck and I fell in a giant puddle which also happened to be the pee spot. No horses over the top of me or loose though. Glad Miss A didn’t get herself in more than trouble but that kind of mud is just horrible.

Susan

heddylamar

Postby heddylamar » Fri Jan 13, 2023 9:23 pm

My older mare and I were entering the arena to start a dressage test and something set her off. She twirled and twirled, and eventually I came unglued and went off her like a discus and landed face first in a mud puddle. In all my white finery. Mom caught it all on video, and I probably have it somewhere.

The judge was a friend and she let me start over. We hadn't even gotten to the salute (-‸ლ)

Moutaineer

Postby Moutaineer » Sat Jan 14, 2023 4:54 am

Oh, dear...

khall

Postby khall » Mon Jan 30, 2023 10:56 pm

No stories of splatting in mud recently ( though I’ve certainly done it !) but dang I’m tired of mud and rain! Very very wet winter this year. Bleh.

I do have to say we did some mud maintenance at our gates though one needs it again. We use a very tiny rock that works great. Highly recommend it. Of course right now we have mud wherever you walk. A bit like walking on ice with Georgia red clay

Return to “The Observation Lounge/ Cookbook Forum even Hot Topics”