French horn almost 2yrs in

Sue B
Bringing Life to the DDBB

French horn almost 2yrs in

Postby Sue B » Thu Feb 02, 2023 7:23 pm

It's been about 20/21 months since I first attempted to play the horn. On occasion, I play for my church or friends, solo or duets, but that's all so far. Apparently in more urban areas there are bands older, adult musicians can join, but not so in very rural Idaho so until I get good enough to join the local symphony, I'm sol playing in any kind of ensemble. Nonetheless, I need to practice putting myself "out there" because one's mental state greatly affects one's ability to play music, particularly the horn where higher notes are excruciatingly close together. For those who don't know, notes on the horn are primarily achieved via breath control and lip vibration, valves are there just to help clarify the tone or, sometimes, to reduce the amount of air needed. So, I have decided to take a leap and subject any of you willing volunteers to a video of me practicing a new piece I've been working on for about 8 weeks. :roll: The last bit I was sight reading for the first time, which puts me about 3/4 of the way through this piece. Planning on getting all the way through and making it technically correct by the end of March--then it's on to musicality!!!

https://youtu.be/JL3A0Kl0H4Q

demi

Re: French horn almost 2yrs in

Postby demi » Fri Feb 03, 2023 1:37 am

Bravo SueB! Some very pretty parts there. Keep it up!

Chisamba

Postby Chisamba » Fri Feb 03, 2023 6:15 am

I did not know that about the French horn. I probably would not have been able to pick out which was the French horn playing without a visual. But i am not very tolerant of botched music and I listened all the way through. Well done.

Flight

Postby Flight » Fri Feb 03, 2023 10:25 am

Clever!

Sue B

Postby Sue B » Fri Feb 03, 2023 6:26 pm

Thank you so much, Demi, Chisamba and Flight.
The fact that you survived listening all the way through, Chisamba, means a ton to me because my brother is also not tolerant of botched music. maybe I'll be brave and send him the link as well!

texsuze
500 post plus club

Postby texsuze » Fri Feb 03, 2023 9:24 pm

Well done! I love the sound of the French horn. As a (used-to-be) violin player, I so appreciate anyone who plays an instrument, especially taking on a brand new endeavor at a 'mature age' vs junior high/high school when I first learned how and was playing! Onward, and keep us posted!

KathyK

Postby KathyK » Tue Feb 14, 2023 1:44 am

Great job, Sue. Less than two years in, and you're playing what sounds like a moderately difficult piece. I can't want to hear what you can do in another two years.

chantal
500 post plus club

Postby chantal » Mon Mar 13, 2023 9:06 pm

I'm impressed. Those are certainly muscles that have to be conditioned, gosh! Well done!

All 3 of my kids did music in high school and I really learned a lot. I wasn't exposed to that much music growing up. It's not easy, I did learn that. My youngest tried to teach me clarinet, granted I was trying to play a 75 year old Buffet. It did not take. So again, well done!!

musicdoc
Greenie

Postby musicdoc » Mon Jun 12, 2023 4:26 am

Great job! I can't believe you're playing this in such short time. The horn is the most difficult brass instrument because, as you know, the partials are so close together up high. Because you are (thankfully) playing on a double horn, at least you can choose whether to play the notes on the F or the Bb horn.

Here's a link to the parts and recordings for the Eb Mozart horn concerto. There's all kinds of free music at IMSLP. If you get a chance, please check out the recordings by Dennis Brain (I'm sure you have).

https://imslp.org/wiki/Horn_Concerto_in ... ng_Amadeus)

The funniest thing I've ever heard was when the horns stood up and played the horse whinny in Sleigh Ride when my 1st trumpet was out sick. It sounded like a herd (heard?) of elephants.

Keep up the great work!

Return to “The Observation Lounge/ Cookbook Forum even Hot Topics”