Chickens

demi
Bringing Life to the DDBB

Chickens

Postby demi » Tue Feb 07, 2023 2:36 am

When DH was in the hospital for his stroke, I didnt have time to coop up my chickens at night so I let them free range 24/7. I ended up losing 3 of the 4 to foxes or coons. I moved the lone hen, Yoko Ono, to the main barn so she wouldn’t be so isolated out in the pasture barn but still, I think she needs to be with other hens. I found a great home for her with the friend of a friend who has 12 hens of the same breed as Yoko (New Hampshires). I’ll deliver her Wednesday. I’ll deliver her in a large dog crate with her familial nesting box inside where she can live till she acclimates. I think it’s for the best…

Texsuze, I remembered your hen, Bertha?, and considered asking you if you’d like to have Yoko. But then my BFF told me her neighbor might want her. And they live only a few miles from here so that’s a lot closer than Hill Country where you live.

With the increasing price of eggs i may be sorry for letting my little hen go :lol: but she’ll be happier in the long run.

Sue B

Re: Chickens

Postby Sue B » Tue Feb 07, 2023 6:25 pm

When son was young, I had around 35 laying hens that he took care of and sold the eggs from. Made enough over the years, to buy his first car (used of course) and help fund college. Foxes, hawks and stray dogs took their toll, but what ultimately wiped them out was a mink! Later, in high school, ds raised turkeys for 4H; they were so much fun to play with and watch, and really good eatin'. Now I'm down to 2 laying hens and two brown Chinese weed eater geese that also lay eggs. I inherited them when a friend from high school past away in her sleep. I think I will probably always have some kind of poultry wandering the yard. ;)

texsuze
500 post plus club

Postby texsuze » Tue Feb 07, 2023 10:34 pm

Demi, so sorry to hear of your husband's situation--hoping he is well on his way to recovery. And the loss of your chooks during that time must have added huge stress. Thanks for considering me to take on Yoko! It sounds like you've found a soft landing for her. Lone chickens sometimes do ok, but often do not, so the fact that she will be back in a flock of her own breed is very fortunate.

Sadly, my Little Brown Hen Bertha passed away last March. She was 8 1/2 years old and such a delight. Her demise took place less than 24 hours after my heart horse and beloved equine companion went to the Rainbow Bridge. Needless to say 2022 has been the worst.

Right now I am at 5 hens. One of my young hens, Blanche, is a Bertha look-alike, both in manner and appearance! A friendly little brown chatterbox, who happens to be a cross-beak. I keep wondering if this might be my last flock, especially if they live as long as my oldest hens have in the past. But without a horse in my barn now, it would be even emptier without the girls. The pleasure of having them greatly lessens the pain of losing them.

SnowHorse
Herd Member

Postby SnowHorse » Wed Feb 08, 2023 8:15 pm

I also have only one hen left...

Some years back we had way too many bantams (of assorted breeds and crosses of thereof), and we gave dozens of them away to neighbors and friends.

Then the rat snakes joined forces with all the rest of the wildlife - skunks, raccoons, coyotes, hawks and who knows what else. They demolished the rest of the flock, cutting the numbers from a few dozen to a dozen really fast, and from there down even faster. The last hen has a coop and a run all to herself, and I've had to reinforce the run against skunks a couple of times to keep her safe. She's not laying any eggs and I'm not sure how old she even is. I've thought about getting her some friends. Maybe later, as the spring gets closer?
Face masks! Bandanas! Posters, mugs, cards etc - http://www.zazzle.com/okiepony/products -- Horses, cats, butterflies, Hummingbirds, quotes, sillies, patterns - everything!

Chisamba

Postby Chisamba » Thu Feb 09, 2023 1:26 pm

I am sure once spring is spring l will have to fortify my chicken house and run again. I have silky bantams and one polish with his ridiculous top hat. I have an assortment of regular hens, two guinea fowl and five turkeys. I have an ever increasing flock of African geese. I guess the flock is big enough to intimidate the predators. My dairy farm neighbor waged warfare on the coyote because they were killing the calves so my geese and lambs are safer and I didn't have to electrify everything.

StraightForward

Postby StraightForward » Thu Feb 09, 2023 2:03 pm

I have three right now: two Americanas and one Sapphire Gem. I raised up a dozen year before last and sold two. I thought my old dog was past his chicken killing years, but he managed to dispatch three in the last few months of his life. I'd like to add a couple more to the flock this year, but it's tricky since I travel for work in the spring. Maybe some pullets, but OTOH, three is a very easy, manageable number.
Keep calm and canter on.

chantal
500 post plus club

Postby chantal » Mon Mar 13, 2023 9:09 pm

We have so many fox (is that correct?) in our area, I think it would be difficult. DH wanted a coop but I knew who would wind up taking care of them and said absolutely not. I pretty much never say no to stuff, but this was a definite no. It doesn't help that I can't eat eggs. I do love the chickens at our friends farm in PA.

Return to “The Observation Lounge/ Cookbook Forum even Hot Topics”