Tank de-icers - stray voltage

dressagefan
Greenie

Tank de-icers - stray voltage

Postby dressagefan » Sun Nov 29, 2015 8:24 pm

Posting here because I need some ideas quickly because horses aren't drinking :( and the facilities forum doesn't get quite as much traffic.

New sinking type tank heater/de-icer. Aluminum disk sits on bottom. Connected with a heavy duty extension cord to GFI outlet, end connection to de-icer cord is laying on ground in a low-ish spot probably wet ground but not standing water. GFI hasn't tripped.

Inexperienced but wants to do the right thing barn owner sees some horses drinking, so assumes all will. However, the sensitive horses are clearly sensing something - they snort and blow and dance back. Have seen this other places and been told it was stray voltage. Brought out a volt tester (beeps near voltage but doesn't measure) and get mild reaction if I hold down near water surface. This is a fairly sensitive meter but should not be reading anything I would think.

If I hold the de-icer out of water the horses are less suspicious but still won't drink. One did take a sip then decided he wouldn't drink more but was calm about it not snorty like when it's in the water.

If I buy a new sinking de-icer is this likely to fix the problem? Not sure if the current one is new or older. We had a different type last year (with the frame that holds it off bottom). Not sure if type makes a difference? I believe this one is supposed to be more energy efficient than the other one. The water seems colder than the other one did.

Is the cord being on ground an issue? It's not quite long enough to tie up on fence. Last year this wasn't a problem but owner has some physical issues this year and just did it in a rush. If I am tactful she will be open to help as long as I do it myself.

Just trying to get them some water before someone colics. This just went in and some have been drinking from puddles but clearly is not workable longer term... :(

Sue B
Bringing Life to the DDBB

Re: Tank de-icers - stray voltage

Postby Sue B » Sun Nov 29, 2015 9:29 pm

Buy a new de-icer. I like the ones in the frame better because, like you said, the water is a little warmer and if one of the horses plays with it, it is less likely to be damaged or cause injury.. Tie the cord up with baler twine to the fence so it isn't on the wet ground where the horses walk. Super important to get on this ASAP, even if you are just a boarder because your horse's health is indeed at stake. Hope that helps!

bascar
Herd Member

Postby bascar » Sun Nov 29, 2015 11:34 pm

yeah, buy a new deicer - a floating one in a cage if you can. I had a sinking one do this - also found that cord connections on the ground or even just above could short out in snow.

Tarlo Farm
500 post plus club

Postby Tarlo Farm » Sun Nov 29, 2015 11:42 pm

I prefer the frame style. I've had naughty horses pull the others out of the water.

dressagefan
Greenie

Postby dressagefan » Mon Nov 30, 2015 12:44 am

Thanks everyone! I'll get a new heater and a better extension cord to get it off the ground. :)

Alex
Herd Member

Postby Alex » Mon Nov 30, 2015 1:17 am

You might also consider putting the extension cord inside some heavier duct tubing. I also have SMALLER, MORE ROBUST PLASTIC electric tubing (very heavyweight grey plastic that I cut into to insert the heater unit's cord) on the heater unit that goes nearly to the base plate of the heater. Putting duct/electric tubing on both helps to prevent horses nibbling the cords to either one. Always check the unit for wear along the length of the cord and at the insertion point of the cord. They don't last more than a few seasons for me...

Saddlebum
Herd Member

Postby Saddlebum » Mon Nov 30, 2015 7:31 pm

PVC plastic pipe large enough to get the plug through is super easy to cut to length and it will keep it off the ground for you. I drilled two small holes on the end of a pvc pipe to hang off the hydrant and shoot the water into the water tank with.

Good luck and hope this new heater solves your problem!

NancyP
Novice

Postby NancyP » Tue Dec 01, 2015 12:35 am

This happened at a local barn where my guy was used as a schoolie.
He would not drink from their auto waterer... he was the only one who would not and he was called 'stubborn' and 'stupid' for not 'figuring it out'.
However...I insisted that there was a problem with the waterer and kept insisting until they had it tested... and it was actually a problem with the power source at the hydro pole out on the road.

Return to “The Observation Lounge/ Cookbook Forum even Hot Topics”