Interesting weather …

Kyras_Mom
Herd Member

Interesting weather …

Postby Kyras_Mom » Mon Aug 28, 2023 1:00 am

:o :o
I was watching a thunderstorm that was 30-50 miles away to the northwest. Lots of lightening but comfortably far away. I went out to water plants and the sky looked really clear to the southwest. Moon shining with some wispy clouds. About an hour later, I heard this rumbling and the room was lighting up from outside. This went on for a good 10 minutes…constant lightening and thunder. We have a Weather Watchers FB page through one of the oval TV channels and everyone was posting wondering what in the heck was going on. I have seen one other storm like this from a distance several years ago. So, I guess everyone is getting weird weather anymore.

https://youtu.be/lZFvptmljFg?feature=shared
Sorry for the large tree blocking the really bright stuff. No way was I getting off my porch to get a better view.

Susan

texsuze
500 post plus club

Re: Interesting weather …

Postby texsuze » Mon Aug 28, 2023 4:27 pm

Cool video! NOAA always says if you can hear thunder you're close enough to be struck by lightning, so good idea to stay under cover. Over the years I've been able to observe some awesome lightning displays from the (relative) safety of our barn. We, too, can see about an hour away into the distance in a couple different directions. And on a similar, note, yesterday we got 0.29" RAIN! No drought buster, but a massive psychological uplift, for now :)

StraightForward
Bringing Life to the DDBB

Postby StraightForward » Mon Aug 28, 2023 5:42 pm

Yeah, that storm woke me up and all I could see was the sky lighting up. Didn't dare to go outside to watch it (and would have gotten soaked). Haven't had to water my garden as much this week though!
Keep calm and canter on.

Imperini
Herd Member

Postby Imperini » Mon Aug 28, 2023 7:53 pm

Wow lots of lightening! Weird weather everywhere for sure.

texsuze wrote:Cool video! NOAA always says if you can hear thunder you're close enough to be struck by lightning, so good idea to stay under cover.

This makes me feel better about my decision to abort one of my rides last week after about 10 minutes. I thought I could get a ride in but shortly after we got out there all sorts of thunder rumbling started up and decided it was better to be done than risk it.

Canyon
500 post plus club

Postby Canyon » Wed Aug 30, 2023 8:18 pm

We have had interesting weather this year: above-average snowfall in the mountains, lots of rain this spring (at one point we were 2x average for the year), then nothing. We had a lightning storm like Susan's on August 1, with mostly cloud-to-cloud strikes and scary loud thunder for about 30 minutes, but only 0.2" rain. While I was out of town last week, the airport received 0.8" rain, but according to DH, nothing at our house, 5 miles to the west. Thanks to irrigation water, our gardens and pastures are still looking fine!

The Front Range and Denver have had a very wet summer and are way above average. With four months left in the year, they are above the annual average precipitation.

Kyras_Mom
Herd Member

Postby Kyras_Mom » Thu Aug 31, 2023 3:21 pm

Yes Canyon…the rain in these pop up storms is so hit no miss. I maybe got 1/4 inch at my house but at the weather base at the airport where the official measurement is, they got 1.46 inches…maybe 2 miles as the crow flies from my house. So goofy.

We had another thunder boomer earlier in the week that I thought I would just see the edge of. It poured for nearly an hour! My guess is close to an inch. Not to mention I about got my butt fried by a very close bolt of lightening! I had just finished mowing…good thing because it wasn’t going to get done if it hadn’t already been done.

Susan

Return to “The Observation Lounge/ Cookbook Forum even Hot Topics”