Tell us about YOU.

khall
Bringing Life to the DDBB

Re: Tell us about YOU.

Postby khall » Tue Oct 13, 2015 1:23 pm

khall there khall here was galliegirl many moons ago on UDBB. My DH and I own a 40+ acre farm in GA, I have bred and raised all but one of my 5 horses, started them all from the ground up except for first 20-30 rides on the last two (my gelding has some bronc moves so had someone get on him for first go around). 20 yr old Han/TB mare, her 9 yr old OLD son (g), her 7 yr old OLD mare, 15 yr old Han/TB mare and her yearling Lusitano X filly (my first foray into baroque and I LOVE her! she is a buckskin too) filly is 3rd generation mare line for me, so fun to see how she will develop. I have horses since I was 14, have been in love with them all of my life.

I have ridden dressage since a teenager, many years ago, evented for a bit, but love dressage more. Love the details that make up dressage and love that it is beneficial, makes them even more beautiful in their movement. Really feel like done well with correct biomechanics dressage prolongs their useful lives.

My other passion aside from my family (mother of 15 yr old DS here) is rescue of pets, cats/kittens/puppies and dogs. I have two foster dogs right now that i have had over a year, a pit bull X and an ACD X, both lovely dogs but harder to place adult dogs. Doing a clicker class with pit bull and loving it. Now have a kitten foster as well, picked him up on the road Friday night near busy highway, orange tabby half grown kitten not neutered and extremely friendly. Anyone in need of a kitten? I will vet him and find him a new home hopefully asap.

My work background was as a vet tech both as a small animal tech and as an equine tech (much preferred equine!) I also handled the stallions for breeding at the clinic. I love the babies and the stallions, love breeding which is why I have done so a bit over the years. I like raising and developing my own horses. I quit working to get pregnant (DH and I had trouble conceiving, had one miscarriage) then stayed out of the work force to raise my DS. Now he is 15 and is a typical teenager, with all of the attitude that goes with it. He really is a great kid though, recently became an Eagle Scout, is in marching band and robotics at school and makes great grades at a tough college prep private school. He wants to go to Ga Tech.

My DH who is a SS/disability attorney and I will have been married 23 yrs this December, can be rocky sometimes because we are both strong willed individuals but for us it is all about family, first our family unit then our parents and siblings and nieces etc (growing even more as nieces have their own children). Both of our parents are aging, with mine having some health issues. My Dad has COPD and had to go on O2 this year full time.

Our farm: https://www.facebook.com/Bent-Tree-Farm ... /timeline/

Amado
Herd Member

Postby Amado » Tue Oct 13, 2015 3:15 pm

Fantastic. It is very nice to read the stories of the posters names I do recognize, as many of you were on UDBB before I was, and so I've missed the history! Keep them coming! :) :) :)

quinta
Herd Member

Postby quinta » Tue Oct 13, 2015 4:01 pm

I was, and still am, quinta. Named after my old lady black Morgan. I am a biologist, transplanted from Canada and living in North Carolina. My other mount is the fabulous Welsh / TB chestnut mare, Autumn. Quinta is my semi-retired trail pony who wanted to be a endurance horse not a dressage pony. Autumn is dressage wonder pony and we are working up to an eventing debut. I only wish I were younger and braver... :)

autumn_quinta.jpg
autumn_quinta.jpg (66.53 KiB) Viewed 38362 times

redsoxluvr
Herd Member

Postby redsoxluvr » Tue Oct 13, 2015 4:19 pm

Tis I, redsoxluvr.

I have been riding dressage for more than twenty years. We have three horses right now. Mr. Perfect is the apple of my eye and the source of my nightmares. LOL. He's a 12yo Rhinelander gelding. The Rookie is my project child. He's an 18h, 7yo AQHA gelding. Finally, the Original Project Pony is our mostly retired OTTB. Mr. Redsox and I live on a tiny farm in AZ.

Sunshine2Me
Herd Member

Postby Sunshine2Me » Tue Oct 13, 2015 5:07 pm

redsoxluvr wrote:Tis I, redsoxluvr.

I have been riding dressage for more than twenty years. We have three horses right now. Mr. Perfect is the apple of my eye and the source of my nightmares. LOL. He's a 12yo Rhinelander gelding. The Rookie is my project child. He's an 18h, 7yo AQHA gelding. Finally, the Original Project Pony is our mostly retired OTTB. Mr. Redsox and I live on a tiny farm in AZ.

You have an 18H quarter horse?!?! That's GIANT!!! :o

demi

Postby demi » Tue Oct 13, 2015 6:07 pm

Another one here who is enjoying this thread.
For me visuals work best for remembering people so I am posting the horse that I got my screen name from. I've had horses for most of my life and kept most of them for their lifetimes, and while I only had her for 6 years, she was the hardest for me to loose. Demi was 12 when i got her and we bonded strongly. She had been a Hann. broodmare and came with some troubled history.
I took a couple of lessons from the UDBBer, Galopp, and she took this picture in 2006 when Demi was 13. (Galopp was the perfect teacher for us)
I am 62 and still attempting to be a dressage rider! I live in Texas with my animalloving husband, 2 horses, 3 dogs and 2 cats. No kids, but I often have a horseloving kid hanging around the place. I dont work anymore but worked as a quality control chemist in Silicon Valley for 18 years.
Attachments
demi in houston (2).jpg
demi in houston (2).jpg (47.86 KiB) Viewed 38329 times

Ike
Greenie

Postby Ike » Tue Oct 13, 2015 7:08 pm

I was mpearson on UDBB. I registered as Ike here. Not sure why I decided to change, but I did!
I'm a divorce attorney and I recently moved to Oklahoma with my DH and our brood of animals. I have a 28 year old Arab named Ibn, a 20 year old QH named Smurf, and an 8 year old OLD/TB named Ike. I'm finally getting settled into a routine in my new city and am making time to ride again. In addition to working with Ike and puttering around on Smurf, I ride a 7 year old Oldenburg mare for my BO a few times a week. I didn't post a ton on UDBB and will likely return to mostly lurking status here, but I do love to read about everyone's adventures and chime in from time to time.

goldhorse
Herd Member

Postby goldhorse » Tue Oct 13, 2015 9:32 pm

I was goldhorse on UDBB. I thought about being goldhorses here but eh, I'm not into change. 57 years old. Grew up in San Diego and had a 13.2h welsh pony cross that I learned how to ride on. I also showed saddlebreds on the local show circuit. Then I say life intervened. Off to college and sold the pony. Then graduate school in genetics. Then I got married, had kids, and continued to work in basic developmental biology research. About 10 years ago, I got jealous of watching my daughter ride so I started riding again. I bought a QH that was as safe as they come but in retrospect, too sensitive to a beginner's seat. Long story short, he got bad arthritis and is now retired at the ripe old age of 15. Here he is in disguise
IMG_0715.JPG
IMG_0715.JPG (164.47 KiB) Viewed 38287 times

During one of his many layups, I was free-leasing a Morgan. Guess what color? :lol: His owner needed to sell him and I couldn't bear to part with him so now he's my riding partner.
PigButt.jpg
PigButt.jpg (42.65 KiB) Viewed 38287 times

Last year, I did a major klutz move and fell out of the back of my pickup truck and landed head first. I still have complications from the concussion-mainly short term memory problems and an inability to focus for very long. So I retired at the ripe old age of 56 and haven't looked back. Right now, I'm in physical therapy rehab for a knee arthroscopy. My big dumb lab ran head first into my knee and tore a meniscus and knocked a huge hunk of cartilage into the joint. So riding is limited to just a walk for now.

Tarlo Farm
500 post plus club

Postby Tarlo Farm » Tue Oct 13, 2015 9:39 pm

;) Rockabilly. Thanks, you too, me too.

And apropos to nothing else at all, look what else is back!!! :roll:

:lol: :lol: :lol:

periastra
Novice

Postby periastra » Tue Oct 13, 2015 10:53 pm

All your horses are lovely. I have enjoyed reading all the posts.

redsoxluvr
Herd Member

Postby redsoxluvr » Wed Oct 14, 2015 3:46 am

Sunshine2Me wrote:
redsoxluvr wrote:Tis I, redsoxluvr.

You have an 18H quarter horse?!?! That's GIANT!!! :o[/quote

He is a giant! Every time I get on him I ask myself why the heck we got a horse this big. I have ridden big warmbloods for years but he makes the warmbloods look small. I had to build an extra step on my mounting block!

Anne
Herd Member

Postby Anne » Wed Oct 14, 2015 7:25 am

Hi everyone, I have very much enjoyed your stories and photos. I'll keep mine brief : was Hands_of_Cantu on UDBB, but find that too clumsy so have unimaginatively changed to my first name, Anne. Live in NZ's South Island, am 49, and work (mostly from home) as a geophysicist. Started riding around age 9, continued through my teens, then took a break for university, work etc. Got back riding around age 35, and currently working at 1st level with my partner's 1/2 Andalusian gelding. We own 78 acres of bush with some pasture (trying to develop more, roll on the warmer days of spring/summer!), and are currently building our house while living in 'tiny house' accommodation on our land. We have 4 horses (my partner rides too, so 2 are his), 2 dogs (german shorthaired pointer, and black-and-tan huntaway cross farmdog), no kids. Here's a pic, me and Carlo:
2015_07_26-carlo-trot-right1-sml.jpg
2015_07_26-carlo-trot-right1-sml.jpg (130.23 KiB) Viewed 38282 times

and, the dogs, Zak (GSP) and Tess (black-and-tan):
2015_08_08-snow-dogs2.jpg
2015_08_08-snow-dogs2.jpg (160.4 KiB) Viewed 38282 times

Crisscreek
Greenie

Postby Crisscreek » Wed Oct 14, 2015 3:47 pm

Loving this thread! When it stops being active, can we keep it near the top so I can remind myself who I am talking to?

Rhianon
Herd Member

Postby Rhianon » Wed Oct 14, 2015 3:54 pm

Crisscreek wrote:Loving this thread! When it stops being active, can we keep it near the top so I can remind myself who I am talking to?

Good idea!

Nijm
Greenie

Postby Nijm » Wed Oct 14, 2015 8:30 pm

Hello! I'm Katie, I am still using my username Nijm.
I was a horse crazy child, who rode from the age of six to sixteen. I owned a rescued retired grand prix Thoroughbred, Espresso. He was a gentle giant to my young self. He was 17.2, dark brown and full of heart. I had him from the ages of twelve to sixteen. He was retired, as he could no longer keep up with the level of competition I wanted to do. At age sixteen, I went to boarding school in CA where I read all of the UDBB post to try to keep in tune with the dressage world. :lol: From CA, my wondering feet took me to Seattle for univeristy, and South Korea where I taught English in Korea. Fast forward to today, I'm 29, horseless. I'm living in Sacramento, CA going through graduate school to become a speech-language pathologist. Hopefully one day I will own or lease a horse in the future. I drive my non-horse friends with my looking at the horse trailers and barns along the rode. My family still uses horses as a default gift. :D

no.stirrups
Novice

Postby no.stirrups » Wed Oct 14, 2015 9:20 pm

I don't know that I ever introduced myself on the original board. User name is the same, no.stirrups. I am the recently divorced mother of two grown children enjoying a level of freedom that I haven't known in a long time! My horse, a 15 yo OTTB, is probably permanently retired due to a torn hind suspensory he sustained earlier this year. I'm still getting my horse fix on the job as a saddle fitter, but to get my riding fix I may be taking on some training jobs at least until I figure out some other things. I recently relocated to central Ohio from the northeast part of the state to be better able to travel to all corners of Ohio to fit saddles and still be able to make it back home to sleep in my own bed, so I'm renting a place and getting to know the area and the people.

So to sum up, I've recently ditched my husband, my teaching job, my home and my kids have moved out. My life is very much in transition and I'm loving the adventure! What I still have is my sense of adventure, my passion for my work, and a lot of life experience. I'm a certified dressage and hunt seat instructor, a licensed science teacher, a certified independent saddle fitter, and an author (The Training Tree for Riders). I used to be a full time trainer of young horses, a faculty member at Lake Erie College, and founder and owner for 11 years of the largest craft and antique mall in Ohio, and a chemist, among other things.

Tarlo Farm
500 post plus club

Postby Tarlo Farm » Wed Oct 14, 2015 9:42 pm

Wow No.stirrups, Looking forward to your posts! Would love to meet you, since we have a few things in common. Let me know if you want to come to MI some time!

Love the idea of bookmarking this thread at the top so we can refresh our memories.

Rosie B
500 post plus club

Postby Rosie B » Wed Oct 14, 2015 9:58 pm

I'm Rosie B from the UDBB. Years ago I was Flipper but I changed my handle probably circa 2009 or so.

I have been riding since I was 12 (and am turning 34 tomorrow). I discovered dressage about 15 years ago but due to a dirth of instruction around here didn't get very far until I started leasing a trakehner broodmare named Prussia. She was training level ish when I started riding her and together we made it to third. I only got to show her at third once but I learned a ton with her.

In 2012 I bought Bliss, my current horse. He's 5 now and we have had a very successful show season at training level. I post frequent updates about him in the training forum.

I am a business intelligence solution designer by day and also mother to a very busy toddler (Max) and step mother to a lovely 11 year old (Lily). My husband and I also have three dogs. So life is very busy but very joyful. :)

In my "spare" time (of which there hasn't been much lately) I also paint.

Lovely to read about you all and see your pics!

Sue B

Postby Sue B » Wed Oct 14, 2015 10:48 pm

I have not changed my user name since before the UDBB, so I aint changin' it now. :lol:

I am what we call an "older" mom of a 13yr old boy (I gave birth to him at 41yrs old), the wife of a country veterinarian, the step mother to 3 more veterinarians and 1 nurse, an avid 4h volunteer and a country vet too. I currently have 2 horses...Rudy, a 10yr old TB whom I purchased and backed at 6yrs old and Tio, a 4yr old Belgian warmblood who is still in the early phase of breaking in. They live at home 24/7 on pasture and I am thrilled to have them. We also have 3 dogs (one of whom is still terribly ill), 2 cats, 1 goat and a pile of chickens. I ski, used to play tennis, and I have a 2nd degree black belt in taekwando. Ds and I soccer scrimmage in the kitchen most evenings to keep his feet "smart" for real soccer. Oh, and he got me hooked on Clash of Clans. :twisted:

I started riding regularly when I was about 12yrs old at the LA Children's Riding Center in Sun Valley, CA and later at Mill Creek. Funny thing is that we then moved to Sun Valley, ID. It was there I became enamored with dressage thanks to Mary Kimball and the newly formed, Idaho Dressage and Combined training Assoc. For my teen/20's years, I jumped and dressaged, guided folks on trail rides, learned how to rope a little and handled baby race horses. It was a wonderful way to learn about real horsemanship and I came to respect and admire quite a few "old" cowboys and their ways of handling the ponies.

I love living in Idaho and plan on staying here all the days the Lord allows. Having travelled a fair amount growing up and in my younger adult years, I can truly say there is no other place I would rather live. It works out well for me, because dh feels the same way, and ds is determined to remain a "country boy" like his brothers. :D So far, I've been a vet for 26 years, no plans to retire anytime soon. In case you can't tell, I have a wonderful life, warts and all.

KathyK

Postby KathyK » Thu Oct 15, 2015 4:31 pm

Tarlo Farm wrote:And apropos to nothing else at all, look what else is back!!! :roll:

Goody! I was prepared to use this:

betty3.jpg
betty3.jpg (2.5 KiB) Viewed 38148 times

I'm KathyK, been KathyK, and unless I meet a miracle man (whose last name doesn't start with K), I shall remain KathyK. I am 67, and I've been riding since I was 6, with a 12-year gap from the mid-80s to the mid 90s. Initially I rode hunters, did a lot of showing as a teenager, then transitioned to eventing and finally dressage. I got my first horse, a QH yearling, when I was 31. I grew up in Ohio and I've lived in Boston, central NY state, and Virginia. I'm back in Ohio until I win the lottery and can move someplace warm. I had to retire my current horse about three years ago due to chronic suspensory desmitis. He's 20, living the good life with a small herd at a friend's barn. I've leased and half leased since he's been retired, but at present I'm enjoying taking a lesson a week on my trainer's FEI schoolmaster.

MissDee
Greenie

Postby MissDee » Thu Oct 15, 2015 8:24 pm

I was Deedee on the old board – I wanted to be MissDee there too, but I had trouble signing up and I thought it was the user name I was trying to pick so I kept changing it . . . turns out it was my email address it didn’t like. But by the time I figured that out I was already Deedee, and it was too much trouble to change, so I just kept it.

I’ve ridden off and on since I was a kid (I turn 58 tomorrow!), with varying degrees of skill and/or dedication, but have been horseless for the last 6 years. I don’t know if I’ll ever have my own horse again, but I might look for a lease or share at some point. Currently live in the PNW with DH, our housemate and 2 elderly kitties. DH and I are seriously considering retiring next year (if all goes well), and while we’re planning to stay in the PNW we’re looking to move away from the Seattle metro area. I’d love to have a small piece of land, just an acre or three, so I can have a garden and a few fruit trees – and, more importantly, not be too close to the neighbors. I like to garden, cook and bake, and every summer I put up enough jam and preserves to give away as Christmas presents as well as to keep for us to eat. I’m very interested in dog agility work and think it would be a hugely fun activity in retirement, when I have more time to spend with a dog. I also want to keep bees; not sure if that will come about or not but I’m going to do some research on it.

I didn’t post much on the old board; usually by the time I figured out what to say someone else had already said it, and better . . . may or may not do more on this one, but I do enjoy keeping up with everyone’s news!

myleetlepony
Herd Member

Postby myleetlepony » Thu Oct 15, 2015 10:27 pm

I was MLP on UDBB, and on COTH as well. I actually was a member of UDBB in the early 2000's, but I can't remember my username (I mostly lurked). I took a many-year hiatus of message boards after the local IL horse board I ran became overwhelmed and I handed off the reins.

I have been around horses in some capacity as early as I can remember. My mom was part of a TB racing breeding farm/training facility since before I was born. My earliest memories are waking up and looking out onto the foal pasture, and venturing into the barn many times late at night while my mom was foal watching or babysitting a colic. After that ended, we had quarter horses and I spent many summers of my youth at the race track with my grandfather. When my grandparents moved to Iowa for retirement, we sent the QH's with them and then my summers were spent yahoo'ing around the pastures and the gravel roads.

When I was 14, the QH's became too old to ride, and the only way to get my horse fix was to ride my bike to the H/J barn down the road for lessons, where I eventually became a working student. Little did I know, the trainer there was a BNT and I didn't realize until many years later the significant opportunities she gave me. I was just there to work so I could ride many horses, including "riding down" the AA jumpers for their owners.

At 19, I bought my current TB mare, who I initially did hunters with. After a catastrophic injury and she was laid up for 6mos, I discovered dressage as a way to leg her back up. We dabbled in hunters after that, but I fell in love with dressage. She is now 22 and we still work 4-6 days a week. Out of all the horses I've been on, she has been my biggest teacher for a variety of reasons.

I have had many horse jobs as a working student, barn manager and retraining OTTBs. After kicking and screaming and working as hard as I could to make it in the horse industry, I gave up and followed my second choice of a career path in Law Enforcement. I started as a dispatcher with the intent of going to patrol, but I never got hired and subsequently aged out for patrol. I am still a dispatcher (I love that my job can be described as "telling officers where to go" :) ) and believe patrol was never meant to be, since by serendipity, I have fallen into a second job of rehab training horses (again). I consider myself fortunate to have gotten to the point where I am turning away clients because I don't have enough time.

Other than riding, I don't have much time for anything else as I work full time six days a week and ride three horses before work. On rare occasions, I like going out on the motorcycle with my SO and hitting a car show, knitting and spending time with my family. I am lucky to have a 2yo niece who has the "horse bug", so I try to make time to foster that, too.

I live with my SO of four years and his 9yo son, as well as our dog and two cats.

svvdressage
Herd Member

Postby svvdressage » Fri Oct 16, 2015 1:41 am

Hi! I am Sandie (svvdressage now & then) I am 38 and live in South Dakota. I am married to my best friend and have 2 boys...6 and 16. I just went back to teaching preschool after spending some time in MN as the assistant trainer and barn manager for Natalie Hinnemann. I still train and teach part time.

I lost my heart horse a year and a half ago. He was my everything and I have struggled to get past it. I am now starting to see the light at the end of the tunnel thanks to my new mare. She is a super sweet 6 year old Holst/West cross mare. I "rescued" her from a hoarder ("breeder"). He had 50 head on 3 acres. She was so malnourished that her skin tented and it took 3 days to wash the stench of knee deep sh!t off her. After only a year under saddle I showed her 2nd level and is schooling 3rd/4th. She gives me 100% every day. She is so quiet I have even taken her barrel racing, just to make sure she isn't getting sour :lol:

Here is a clip of us at our last lesson https://youtu.be/DkzdM36vVVo

and just for fun us at our first barrel race (after practicing 5 times!). I love how encouraging the crowd is 8-) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CseazorY5iY

Rooney
Greenie

Postby Rooney » Fri Oct 16, 2015 2:20 am

Rooney here. Was Rooney on the last blast of the UDBB but started as mg. I'm 61.......pressing 62 mother of an almost 44 year old! :-D

I'm a barefoot trimmer, a small breeder of Westphalians (always something for sale) and I also have a small direct marketing business.

I currently own 6 horses that I have to board! Yikes! I breed Westphalians......

Mouse my favorite broodmare. She makes the most amazing offspring!Image

Rubicon..............my other broodmare

Rooney my 3yo by Rousseau

Finsternis my yearling by Furst Piccolo.................apparently no recent photos!!! :-O

Furst Dance by Furst Romancier at 3 months (2015 foal)

Peregrine by Prado a 2015 colt as well

My dog Livie

Me riding a former broodmare................(ignore the no helmet...I don't do this anymore!)

Amado
Herd Member

Postby Amado » Fri Oct 16, 2015 2:45 am

Wow, gorgeous horses!

chenders
Greenie

Postby chenders » Fri Oct 16, 2015 3:08 pm

This is a great thread! I pretty much only lurked on the UDBB but since there is a new board I decided that maybe I will post more.

I'm 50, married, with two cats and my best boy, Raymond, who I have owned for over 8 years now. He's a 21yo Hanoverian/TB. Like others on here, we don't do much of anything. Minor injuries and seasonal allergies seem to thwart any progress and training goals. He isn't fully sound anymore so I am limited in what I can do with him. So we basically putz around and do arena work when he's sound, and hack when he's not sound enough to go around in circles.

Here is a pic of the two of us, taken on Wednesday:

I live in Kitchener, Ontario, Canada

KathyK

Postby KathyK » Fri Oct 16, 2015 3:42 pm

Beautiful pic, chenders. I'm loving this thread.

iriedogs
Greenie

Postby iriedogs » Fri Oct 16, 2015 9:25 pm

Hey Rooney (you are still MG to me!), your horses are beautiful! And I love the pic of you riding! (Hee hee, I took it!) :D

Suzon
Herd Member

Postby Suzon » Sat Oct 17, 2015 9:39 pm

We need the equivalent of a like button so I can like all these wonderful introductions.

BTW, Chenders, I love your browband!

carpevita
Herd Member

Postby carpevita » Sat Oct 17, 2015 11:02 pm

Oh my gosh--I LIKE you all!!

LindaJ
Herd Member

Postby LindaJ » Sun Oct 18, 2015 3:05 am

Hi :) I was originally LindaH when I first started the UDBB several years ago. Then wasn't on there for quite a while when I went back to college. When I came back, decided to change my name to LindaJ...since I got married and never changed it previously.

I've had my horse, Red, for a bit over 21 years. Got him when he was 3 and he'll be 25 this coming March. My sweet boy and the first horse that I've owned. (definitely my <3 horse :) ) He's an Appendix gelding and we managed to get to schooling 3rd level before life in general and his arthritis got in the way of that. He's semi-retired at this point due to the arthritis and misc issues after tendon injury about a year and a half ago. Still so blessed to still have him in my life.

I'm in N.E. Ohio. I was an optician from 1990 until 2009 when I went back to college. Now I am doing MRI at the Cleveland Clinic. LOVE my new career. Only downside is that it is presently an hour and a half away from where I live, so my time to ride has been drastically reduced. At some point my husband and I are wanting to move closer, but not into the city. I'm really not a city and traffic kinda person.....so presently trying to research nice areas with a bit of property ( that isn't going to kill us financially) in NE Ohio. (if anyone lives in NE Ohio and has suggestions, feel free to pass them my way ) :) Hubby is a union pipe welder, he understands my horse love/obsession, and I love him dearly. I also share in his love of shooting competitive rifles. He's hoping to get back into shooting competitively at Camp Perry next year. I also have a "princess kitty" named Samantha .....who is a total mommies girl LOL!! Speaking of....she just jumped up on the couch next to me for some scratchin :)

Just tried to attach a pic of my horse and I and of course the file is too large :-/

silk
500 post plus club

Postby silk » Sun Oct 18, 2015 7:19 am

I'm silk, no name change here either, silk is and always has been my forum handle. I am one of the handful of Kiwis, and can promise we are very hospitable! I've met several UDDBers, despite the geographical distance!

I am a very part time barefoot trimmer (weekends only) and have a full time office job, currently in project management (controls, admin, financial control, etc) for the 'design' team of a large roading project.

I have two horses. Scarlett, my heart horse, who I inherited at age 5. She's 20 now, still acting like a 5yo (thankfully, with a few more brain cells!). Indy, project horse, still here 5 years down the track, and soon-to-be-dam of my foal which is due within 2 months (hopefully, before Christmas!). I am looking forward to starting from scratch with the foal... Although I didn't plan to breed yet! I won a service to a Holsteiner x TB last year which was serendipitous timing as I'd just decided Indy is not my riding horse due to various things (mostly, I think she has some sort of physical problem that causes her to explode whenever it is aggravated). Foal pics WILL follow imminently!

I also have a Siamese cat, Oliver Twist (Ollie). Some of you may remember one of my previous Siamese, Bandito, who went missing, and was found 54 weeks later about 4 hours drive away - very, very surprising. Sadly he is not with us any more, but I do have a beautiful painting on my wall, gifted to me by a boardie as a Kringle in 2010/11(??).

chenders
Greenie

Postby chenders » Sun Oct 18, 2015 1:17 pm

Suzon wrote:We need the equivalent of a like button so I can like all these wonderful introductions.

Thanks! I wasn't sure if I should go with that much bling for a gelding but I think it suits him :D

Melody
Novice

Postby Melody » Sun Oct 18, 2015 5:36 pm

Want to say first that I am glad this board got going. I am not that big a fan of facebook groups. They are just not the same as a board like this. I was White Sapphire on the UDBB. Don't post a lot. From Ohio but moved to Oklahoma back in 1979. Have my own farm: www.blarneystonellc.com Website hasn't been updated in a long time, never really got it going like we planned to.
Got into Dressage when I turned 40, wanting to learn more so I had an edge at breed shows but got pushed into a schooling show and got hooked. Didn't hurt that I won one class and second in the other. Haven't shown in a while but might get back to it some day. Summers are just so hot it hasn't seemed like fun lately. We take care of our 10 horses ranging from ages 11 to 30 and two llamas (they are just for fun, always get asked why llamas, why not?) Of course dogs and cats. Have always been animal nuts and horse crazy. Also the wildlife, I feed the birds in a big way.

hooves17
Greenie

Postby hooves17 » Mon Oct 19, 2015 12:58 am

I started out as Posse977 on UDBB, then became Hooves17. I live in NE Ohio and work as a full time police officer, part-time firefighter/paramedic, and part-time park ranger. I am married with 4 legged kids.

Three horses- Sherman (17yo ASB/Clyde bay gelding- 17hh), Seamus (8yo Friesian/Clyde bay gelding- 17.1hh), and Sabre (4yo Shire/DWB/TB bay gelding- 17.1hh and not finished growing yet, ::sigh::).

Three house cats- Grendel (16yo brown tiger), Boris (16yo grey Russian Blue cross), and Georgie Boots (5yo? grey tiger).

One barn cat- Wow (no idea how old- black and white fella).

I've sat on horses since I was about 5 or 6, really started to learn to be a horsewoman in my mid-twenties. I have tried about every discipline- and I do everything with my horses- regardless of the fact that they are really not appropriate for some of it! We do hunter stuff, jumper stuff, cow work, hunting, eventing, obstacle courses, etc. I used to do WP, gaming, competitive trail...

Amado
Herd Member

Postby Amado » Mon Oct 19, 2015 1:31 am

hooves17 wrote: I have tried about every discipline- and I do everything with my horses- regardless of the fact that they are really not appropriate for some of it! We do hunter stuff, jumper stuff, cow work, hunting, eventing, obstacle courses, etc. I used to do WP, gaming, competitive trail...

I have always thought those competive trail classes looks like fun!

viscountessleftfield
Herd Member

Postby viscountessleftfield » Mon Oct 19, 2015 3:14 am

Tarlo Farm wrote:And I live in NW Michigan, am 57, and a retired high school biology teacher. Was one of those kids whose first word was probably "horse", took my first lessons at six, Mom and Dad bought me my first horse at eight. My older sister swore she wore them down...
After years of fooling around with horses, giving up/down lessons, breeding, and training, I'm down to just three, only one of which I ride. I've downsized from 40 acres to eight and a half and I'm close enough to Lake Michigan to hear the lake roar when it's windy, as it is now.

Can I move into your guest bedroom for the winter? I'm missing the lake and snow right now.

Tarlo Farm
500 post plus club

Postby Tarlo Farm » Mon Oct 19, 2015 12:24 pm

Awwww. No snow yet, fortunately. Where are you living now, and where did you live that you know the Lake? I'm in Ludington. The wind came up last night - posted "wind warnings" at 9:30pm. Possible 45 knot gusts today. Soooooooo windy so often the last ten years, like never before.
No guest room, but sleeper sofa in the winter, and little travel trailer parked in the yard in the summer. Her name is Ivy. Trailing Ivy.

Amado
Herd Member

Postby Amado » Mon Oct 19, 2015 10:35 pm

You are in Ludington?! I love Ludington! We spent our honeymoon there (almost 30 years ago!) - my husband's grandparents had a summer cottage at Epworth. The lake is so beautiful, and that state park north of there. Can't remember tht name. There was a fun ice cream place, house of flavors, or something like that? (not sure I'm remembering correctly). I haven't been there since my kids were little.

Paints
Herd Member

Postby Paints » Tue Oct 20, 2015 2:16 pm

Glad to find everyone again! I was in withdrawal

I was Paints do Dressage Too on UDBB but that was just too much of a mouthful.

I live in southern Ontario just between the reviving city of Hamilton and the Niagara wine region. DH and I moved there this year after I lost my job. It has been quite a year and I am still job searching. At 57 I hope this is my last every job search.

I have been riding since I was 20. I started out eventing with my first horse and dressage with my current horse. He is a 14 yo APHA gelding. A couple of years ago he developed some back issues and stringhalt. Although we never resolved the stringhalt he has had 2 years pain free until recently. This round of testing has shown an injury to his suspensory ligament. Sigh. He is on stall rest and interestingly has lost the stringhalt action. Fingers crossed we can get him sound enough to ride again. Or at least to turn out again. He is being his usual, extremely well mannered self through all of this.

I have the loveliest DH who is retired and 2 sweet cats. One is 17 and the other is more or less 10. He walked into our cat flap one day and never left.

My friends were surprised that we chose to move to Hamilton. I remember it being described once as the armpit of Ontario. It a steel town and has survived some challenging economic times. But it is serious revival mode. There is a wonderful, well respected university here (McMaster), great healthcare facilities, a thriving arts community and some great neighbourhoods. We are really enjoying what our new city has to offer.

Great thread - its wonderful to get to know everyone better. Please do stick it at the top of the OL!

piedmontfields

Postby piedmontfields » Tue Oct 20, 2015 4:02 pm

Hi everyone. I'm piedmontfields. I live in eastern Tennessee but am originally from the northeast (long, long ago). I currently make a living as a science writer, but I have also worked in higher education as an instructor, faculty program manager and communicator. I was originally trained as a cultural anthropologist! Before I had some major health issues, I also taught yoga for fun. I still enjoy yoga, pilates,swimming and hiking--such that my joints permit it. I'm not far from the Smokey Mountains and have enjoyed many trails since we've moved here.

I started riding as an adult and fairly quickly became interested in dressage. After about 17 years of leasing a wide variety of horses, I finally got my own horse in 2014. Her name is Emi, and she is a beautiful and kind Lusitano X Trakehner. These days we are schooling second and third. I am not a big competitor but do enjoy training and learning. Emi is also wonderful to hack and we spend many hours out in the fields and woods.

I also have a lovely DH who works too hard ;-) and two high energy English Pointers. We live on acreage in a passive solar house surrounded by gardens.

trot.jpg
trot.jpg (89.3 KiB) Viewed 37695 times

Lynne and Emi  2015.jpg
Lynne and Emi 2015.jpg (29.51 KiB) Viewed 37695 times

Amado
Herd Member

Postby Amado » Tue Oct 20, 2015 4:11 pm

Love the Lusitano cross. Aren't they fun?!

I'm glad so many people are participating in this thread. I've already had to look a couple names up to figure out who (from the old board) is posting!

Moutaineer

Postby Moutaineer » Tue Oct 20, 2015 8:04 pm

Ah! There you are Piedmont!

stella
Novice

Postby stella » Tue Oct 20, 2015 11:02 pm

I'm stella. I was stella on the UDBB. I have three dogs, one in obedience and two who don't have to do a damn thing but sit around and look cute.

I'm pleased to see old friends on this board.

hoopoe
Herd Member

Postby hoopoe » Wed Oct 21, 2015 1:05 pm

I am hoopoe elsewhere and have been so here, along with poopoe and Haynonny.

I was in Africa doing a science tourist project and while my back was turned **poof**

I retired from the riding world about 4 years ago . Nearing 60 and single I felt I need to maximize my savings and retirement potential. I also wanted to do other things in life so Jaybird went to live with a lovely trainer to live the life of a schoolmaster.

I work in a wonderful Biopharma focused on targeted cancer therapeutics. Prior to working in research I worked as a vet tech for 20 years.

These days I spend my time nature nutting and working with the Nisqually land trust doing environment preservation and restoration. I daydream about my next vacation and love doing long distance, Inn to Inn walking trips. I just learned there is a new trail going across Scotland, so that goes on the list next to the Naadam Festival in Mongolia.

I will always consider myself a horsewoman and leave open the possibility of a little project horse / pasture puff in the future.

Kyra's Mom
500 post plus club

Postby Kyra's Mom » Wed Oct 21, 2015 4:19 pm

I finally got around to wandering over here and very glad I did.

I was susamorg on the UDBB. Born of a total lack of imagination and user name/password burnout. So now Kyra's Mom. I live in Boise, Idaho.

I turned the big 6-0 this year. I am another born with the horse addiction gene. I drove my parents crazy and got my first horse when I was in Jr. High. Had no instruction and rode by the seat of my pants until late high school when I found a good 4-H group and finally got some good knowledge. I sold my first mount before I went to college where I became a pharmacist. I have been working in hospital pharmacy since I graduated. 37 years at the same place no less...kind of weird these days but that is where I am. I was hoping to go to part-time but think I will tough out full time for a couple more years and sock away more money.

During school I was able to free lease a wonderful middle aged gelding who was Morgan/Arab/TB. He looked like a little Lippizaner. He had had little done with him but he took to whatever I threw at him. We did trail, English, Western and I even borrowed a cart and harness and trained him to drive. By the time I graduated and was able to get my own horse, Surf was ready to retire. He was, I am sure, metabolic and had foundered several times. Way before the day of blood tests or even the knowledge of such stuff. I loved on him nevertheless and he made it to 29. I got a sweet arab gelding. Bought him as a long yearling and when he was 3 1/2...jumped on and did w-t-c on his first ride! Yeah, just started my first horse. He was a gem. Also amenable to whatever tack I wanted to put on him. I discovered dressage when he was about 5 and he became a dressage horse. I was able to qualify him for the Arabian Nationals and I took him! We didn't place but one thing off my bucket list. He was starting to show some not quite rightness and later found out he had early onset hock arthritis.
I found a home for him and he became a trail horse supreme after his hocks fused (again...before the day of common joint injections). I have had several other horses that for various reasons were sold on. I have always bought youngsters and started them myself. It takes me a while but they have all ended up solid citizens.

That brings us to my user name critter. Valkyra GPA or more simply Kyra. I bought her in 2004 as a coming 2 y.o. Kyra is 1/2 Andalusian and 1/2 appendix QH. She kind of turned out to be a ballerina. Pretty refined but she seems tough as nails on her dinky feet and fine legs. I got her started at 4 y.o. since she was somewhat of a 98 lb weakling so I didn't do much but w-t and get her out and around her first year. When we started dressage work in earnest, she was very tense and gnashed the bit constantly. Thinking that this was my doing, I worked hard on myself and was taking lessons. Her behavior was not better when my instructor rode her so I started looking for a physical problem. She has real fleshy redundant tissue in her cheeks stuffed into her fine, dry head and she was getting badly pinched by the bit. So, our show debut didn't happen until she was eight as it took me that long and many bit trials to find something that didn't pinch her. In her limited and local show career, she has done very well. She like blue ribbons :D . We were about 6 months from making the leap to 2nd level when my body started to go. I have had multiple surgeries and barely get over one when something else fails :P . I think I finally have a handle on that stuff and hope over the winter to get fitter and get back to that second level breakthrough. In the meantime, to keep us engaged and able to putter around and work at what I can do, I have been doing some online courses with Karen Rohlf. I have really enjoyed this and have seen some really positive changes in her relationship to the bit (after the above saga, she did become very 'hard' to get proper connection). Kyra is a keeper. She can be reactive but luckily, it doesn't stick and she is an absolute joy to work with.

Baby Kyra

Showing Off

I can ride ;) (pardon the shoes :oops: )

airefjordphil
Greenie

Re: Tell us about you

Postby airefjordphil » Wed Oct 21, 2015 4:29 pm

I was Aireperchphil on UDBB, signaling my three passions -- my pack of rescue Airedales (three at present, but two are fragile old men!), my silly draft cross, and my career as a philosophy professor (I'm now 65 and have just started a phased in retirement; good timing as I don't much like the new look of Higher Ed in the US.) Since there's now a new horse in the mix, a delightful 14.1 h 9-year-old Fjord gelding, I've changed my name to the unmelifluous airefjordphil.
I was a horse-crazy kid but I had timid parents -- children of immigrants who fled what is now Russia before the outbreak of WW1 -- who could barely deal w/ the automobile let alone equine transport. Throughout grade school and junior high I befriended classmates w/ ponies and horses so managed to catch some rides but never received instruction. As an adult I would look up "horse" in the yellow pages when I traveled and go on trail rides whenever possible. Not sure I'd be so brave today, though I did manage one splendid trail riding vacation @ Equitours' home ranch in Wyoming just before acquiring my first-ever horse @ age 55. Too late, imho, to become either brave or horse savvy!
For whatever crazed reason, I had my heart set on a Percheron. Thank god I ended up w/ a Perch cross -- beloved but basically dressage unsuitable. I had him for 9 years. By the end he was arthritic and grumpy. I found him what I hoped was a great adoptive home w/ a draft-experienced Humane Society employee who needed a companion horse for her old gelding.
I downsized to my current partner, a 9-year-old Fjord, as I wanted a gentle, laid-back horse but couldn't bear to give up that thick drafty neck.
My Fjord, Linden, spent his early years pulling a cart. Getting him supple and on the bit is no small task. My own impediments -- artificial hip, gnarly spine -- complicate matters considerably. But I greatly enjoy our time together and give constant thanks that I am not over-horsed I try to ride 6 days/week. So far, we've mostly been clinic junkies -- hope to make our show debut in the Spring if we can only make and balance his left lead canter.

Woost2
Herd Member

Postby Woost2 » Fri Oct 23, 2015 12:50 am

chenders wrote:
Suzon wrote:We need the equivalent of a like button so I can like all these wonderful introductions.

Thanks! I wasn't sure if I should go with that much bling for a gelding but I think it suits him :D

What I love is that is fits him! I hate hate hate droopy browbands. :x This one has swoop and bling while actually fitting. Good job!

Suzon
Herd Member

Postby Suzon » Fri Oct 23, 2015 2:17 am

Woost2 wrote:
chenders wrote:

What I love is that is fits him! I hate hate hate droopy browbands. :x This one has swoop and bling while actually fitting. Good job!

Preach, Sistah!

chenders
Greenie

Postby chenders » Fri Oct 23, 2015 5:15 pm

Woost2 wrote:
chenders wrote:

Awww thanks! I picked up that bridle at a tack store tent sale (ie. greatly reduced price). It *just* fits him. His head is too big for horse size but too small for warmblood so I usually have to make adjustments. I'd be happier if the cheek pieces (attached to the noseband) were on less of an angle. And I had to have a piece added to the chin strap because it was too short when I bought it. But I loved the bling!

Return to “The Observation Lounge/ Cookbook Forum even Hot Topics”