Riding vacations

PaulaO
Bringing Life to the DDBB

Riding vacations

Postby PaulaO » Wed Dec 02, 2015 2:40 pm

I am rubbish at trot-canter transitions. I always was. Bob was wonderfully trained to canter from the walk so I just did it that way. Anyway, being horseless I decided that if I want to ride ONE PERFECT trot-canter transition, I should go to a dressage camp. Equitours has the dressage program in Portugal (riding Lusitanos--could it get much better?). I'm not adverse to traveling to accomplish this. Anyone now of any other program where I don't have to bring my own horse? I'm o.k. with anywhere in Europe or the U.S.

Decades ago I rode at Castle Leslie in Ireland. That was mainly cross country. They are still in business and have school horses for arena work. That is a possibility, but I've already been there.

westisbest
Herd Member

Re: Riding vacations

Postby westisbest » Wed Dec 02, 2015 4:20 pm

You could check this out. Paul used to come out up here regularly for clinics.

http://www.paulbelasik.com

KathyK

Postby KathyK » Wed Dec 02, 2015 5:13 pm

westisbest wrote:You could check this out. Paul used to come out up here regularly for clinics.

The short course might be just what you're looking for, Paula.

boots-aregard
Herd Member

Postby boots-aregard » Wed Dec 02, 2015 5:19 pm

Last time someone posted (on the UDBB) about a riding vacation, I horned myself right in.

Paula, you want company?

PaulaO

Postby PaulaO » Wed Dec 02, 2015 5:31 pm

westisbest wrote:You could check this out. Paul used to come out up here regularly for clinics.

The website says best for a serious amateur or professional. I'm not either one, plus my BMI is a skoosh too high.

Boots, I'd welcome company, but be warned, I don't share bedrooms! :D

boots-aregard
Herd Member

Postby boots-aregard » Wed Dec 02, 2015 5:54 pm

Well, let's see what suggestions come up. I'd enjoy Portugal, even though I said after Ireland that I wasn't going to fly that long again. (I get restless leg. Probably just need more booze, because I am SO not a drinker.)

AmityBee
Herd Member

Postby AmityBee » Wed Dec 02, 2015 8:01 pm

Dressage in portugal is on my short list of destinations for riding vacations.

I really like the look of this one:

http://www.inthesaddle.com/rides/view/1 ... o_portugal

After Wales this spring, I decided that I really have to go on riding vacations more often. In 2016 I would really like to go to Morocco, on a trip to the Sahara dessert. That's a rough one, tents, camping, no showers, I really hope that one will work out, I'm not getting any younger...

Portugal is next on my list, and then the Pyrénées maybe. And, one day, Iceland!

Kelo
Herd Member

Postby Kelo » Wed Dec 02, 2015 8:47 pm

I've said this before, but I did a vacation at Epona in southern Spain (I imagine you can google it...) several years ago and had a woooooonderful time. Highly recommended.

I did the trail-and-dressage package because, well, I'm not a die-hard dressager :-) So I got to check "Ride In The Ocean" and "Ride an Upper Level Andalusian" both off my bucket list in the same week :-)

PaulaO

Postby PaulaO » Thu Dec 03, 2015 12:59 am

Kelo, I spent a lot of time this afternoon looking at Epona, particularly the dressage and trail. That was before you posted, so I'm glad to hear positive things. I'd have to go fall 2016 because of the hot summer.

scruffy the cat
Herd Member

Postby scruffy the cat » Thu Dec 03, 2015 1:01 am

Boots- you'd be surprised how much better restless leg feels in BUSINESS CLASS. Or First. I got bumped to first coming home from Athens a couple of years ago and my legs felt GREAT. Must have been all that champagne. :lol:

I'd probably invite myself to Paula's trip too. I get a sense she really knows how to enjoy herself. :-) And I love a traveler who doesn't share rooms.

bailey
Herd Member

Postby bailey » Thu Dec 03, 2015 2:45 am

In September my husband and I were able to do the two hour beach ride done at Epona, and it was awesome. The people there were so helpful even though we weren't able to stay with them (this time!). I'll try to post pics later so you can see the terrain and the horses. I'd love to go to Epona too....some day!

The calmer I am, the stronger I am.

PaulaO

Postby PaulaO » Thu Dec 03, 2015 2:55 am

Hmmmm, I sense a group traveling to Spain. I read it's best to fly to London, then get a cheap flight to Seville. Yes, Paula knows how to enjoy herself....

bailey
Herd Member

Postby bailey » Thu Dec 03, 2015 3:24 am

I'm in!

scruffy the cat
Herd Member

Postby scruffy the cat » Thu Dec 03, 2015 3:49 am

I'm good with flying to London. Especially if we can stop over a day or so first to enjoy some London-ish treats. 8-)

Chancellor
Site Admin

Postby Chancellor » Thu Dec 03, 2015 3:38 pm

Can I horn myself in too?

PaulaO

Postby PaulaO » Thu Dec 03, 2015 3:51 pm

Hey, as long as the riding center (Epona in Spain, right?) has room, everybody can join.

Here are my 2 conundrums. 1. My friend Patti and I have travelled together the last 3 years. If we decide to really do this, I will invite her, but I feel bad because I planned a trip without her. Who knows maybe she'll want to go especially is London is included. 2. I want to be in riding shape before the trip, but I haven't found a ride here. And if I do find a ride here, do I really need to go to Spain???

The answer to #2 is Yes.

Me, boots, scruffy, bailey, chancellor. Who else wants to join?

khall

Postby khall » Thu Dec 03, 2015 5:52 pm

I am looking at 2017 for Spain, made it a bucket list item, I turn 50 in 2017 and it will be our 25th wedding anniversary. Not sure how DH would take to an all horsey vacation though since he is not a rider!

Kelo
Herd Member

Postby Kelo » Thu Dec 03, 2015 8:25 pm

Re: Epona, a few more thoughts (since there seems to be a lively interest).

I went in the dead of winter (February), mainly because the rates were drastically cheaper. Also their "winter" - HA! - gets down to, like, a low of 50 at night and I'm not a hot-weather person. So it was a perfect combo. The weather was still phenomenal (I just took long sleeve shirts to wear under my riding vest).

The people and horses were lovely. The horses are well cared for. Even the retirees.

Here's video of my beach ride (the trail ride out there, then the beach itself): https://youtu.be/lowx8gw7K94 and https://youtu.be/gVuPl6UvRME

They do have "intensive lesson" options as well, but for me the trail riding was very desirable. We rode in the mornings for several hours, then lunch and siesta, then I had a dressage lesson. I got a pleasant packer horse for my trail riding, and an UL dressage Andalusian -- the glowing white unicorn horse that dreams are made of (laugh) -- for my dressage lesson.

My non-riding now-husband went with me. He's a pretty easy going guy, but he still had fun. You take a trip in to Seville, and we got to go trinket shopping, and went to a semi-fancy restaurant another night, and just lounging and walking. Then the meals at Epona were fantastic every day. There was an option to get a taxi into town other days, but he just enjoyed relaxing and hanging out on his vacation. They have a nice lounge area and lots of dogs to pet.

One thing they have changed since I went, now you stay in town instead of there at the farm. Before your room was right there in the complex, and now I guess they shuttle you. Not sure how that effects the experience, but I'll just mention it.

I would go back in a heartbeat if I could, but sadly not in the budget for me.

scruffy the cat
Herd Member

Postby scruffy the cat » Thu Dec 03, 2015 10:54 pm

Oooh, that sounds wonderful. I love that there would be something for DH as well. This year is our 25th wedding anniversary, too. I wonder how he would take it?

And Paula- why not say right now- "Hey Patti, I really want to go on a riding vacation. Do you want to go on a riding vacation? Let's plan!"- voila- Patti is included. If Patti doesn't ride, then "Hey Patti, I really want to go on a riding vacation that would also be fun for you- can we work on this together?" Patti probably knows how to have a good time, too.

Artemis
Greenie

Postby Artemis » Thu Dec 03, 2015 11:53 pm

Why are you all deciding on Spain over Portugal? Both places look amazing - just curious.
I've heard Portugal is incredible. I've wanted to go for ages.

PaulaO

Postby PaulaO » Fri Dec 04, 2015 12:06 am

Scruffy, that is exactly what I'm going to say to Patti. Patti used to ride, and knows how to have a good time!

Artemis, we haven't 100% decided on Spain, but Epona does offer the option of the lesson/trail ride package which is a nice option for those who would like "dressage light."

scruffy the cat
Herd Member

Postby scruffy the cat » Fri Dec 04, 2015 3:07 am

Patti sounds like a good friend. :-)

AmityBee
Herd Member

Postby AmityBee » Fri Dec 04, 2015 6:17 am

Artemis wrote:Why are you all deciding on Spain over Portugal? Both places look amazing - just curious.
I've heard Portugal is incredible. I've wanted to go for ages.

I'm not ;) Epona looks and sounds lovely, but the accomodations away from the actuall riding compelex plus the size of the whole operation are cons for me. I would like something smaller. Plus, I really want Lusitanos and not PREs. :D

The trail/dressage combos are pretty common and "Monte Velho" in portugal offers that too. Just not with beach rides...

piedmontfields

Postby piedmontfields » Fri Dec 04, 2015 12:28 pm

I encourage you all to pursue your holiday plots! I do want do a riding/training trip to Portugal in the next year or two. I was thinking in the fall, but actually winter could work well a la Kelo.

My DH and I went to Seville and southern Spain last year for holiday and really enjoyed it. Lots of horsey culture everywhere (although this was not a riding vacation).

Artemis
Greenie

Postby Artemis » Fri Dec 04, 2015 3:38 pm

Hmmm, so maybe there's a sub-group for Portugal?
I would enjoy the lessons with trail ride option. I love being with the locals, learning about culture, cuisine, etc...If anyone else is into that sort of thing.

PaulaO

Postby PaulaO » Fri Dec 04, 2015 4:46 pm

I don't favor one over the other as far as countries or breeds go. I just want a relatively laid back vacation where I can ride and not feel I'm in "training." Remember my goal is perfect trot canter transitions. The idea of down time with the opportunity to explore the local culture is appealing. Nothing has to be decided now.

Talk to me about the difference between PREs and Lusitanos.

I'm open to other countries too (like France, etc.).

What I really want????? A riding vacation at the SRS.

AmityBee
Herd Member

Postby AmityBee » Fri Dec 04, 2015 8:27 pm

PaulaO wrote:I

Talk to me about the difference between PREs and Lusitanos.

In my experience the PRE is the extovert of the two. The ones I've met were quite the show-offs, though usually very easy to control. They will try hard and work for any rider. We used to have a girl at the barn who imported PREs to sell them. They were mostly more modern sport horse type PREs. Many of them stallions. Most of them had incredible temperament and work ethic. She basically pulled some of them off the trailer, hopped on and they went straight to work.

The Lusitano is the intovert, more of a one-man's-horse and not as showy. My trainer owns two of them. They tend to be a little more tricky to ride. A Lusitano might let you work a little for it's trust.

I think both breeds are a fun choice for a riding vacation.

bailey
Herd Member

Postby bailey » Sat Dec 05, 2015 2:59 am

I'm open to going to Portugal, it would be great to get know and ride a Lusitano. My trainer describes them as the ' Spanish QH'. used to working with Spanish bulls ie the meaner, fistie type bull! How fun to have so many options, especially this week with so much sadness going on.

Snork
Herd Member

Postby Snork » Sat Dec 05, 2015 3:35 am

Edited because i committed the cardinal sin of not reading the entire thread before posting.

Paula, how about learning the canter transitions at home and then going for a relaxed riding vacation afterwards? You could get a 5-7 day lesson session with a good local trainer so you can get all the benefit of instruction and still sleep in your own bed and then just go and enjoy the PREs or PSLs or whatever you decide. For example there are 5 FEI level trainers at Sunflower alone: Amanda, Darcy, Connie, Jennifer and Andre, all with proven track records and each a bit different. There is also Sarah who is a young trainer but very kind and effective. And there is Kristina who is a western dressage person but very kind and has the most amazing schoolhorse you can possible imagine (love you Parsley!). He lives across the isle from my pony and I see him regularly with all kinds of riders. That is one well trained equine. In short, I'm sure you can get your canter transitions done splendidly within an hour of home and you don't have to feel like you're in training. As an added bonus, after you are done with your own lesson you can sit and watch the same trainers ride their training horses. It is very educational. Sure it is not Portugal but then, again, travel expenses are quite reasonable and you can save Portugal for more fun stuff.

The riding vacations sound divine though, speaking of which, are any of these places open to kids? The prices do not seem outrageous compared to, say, Caribbean beach vacations so now I'm curious if I could pull this off with my two girls in tow. I read the "kiddie" section for Epona and it seems that it might be possible there although they do not encourage it. Then I went to Equitours and inquired about their Belize Mayan jungle ride which is listed as "family friendly."

AmityBee
Herd Member

Postby AmityBee » Sat Feb 13, 2016 2:20 pm

AmityBee wrote:Dressage in portugal is on my short list of destinations for riding vacations.

After Wales this spring, I decided that I really have to go on riding vacations more often. In 2016 I would really like to go to Morocco, on a trip to the Sahara dessert. That's a rough one, tents, camping, no showers, I really hope that one will work out, I'm not getting any younger...

Portugal is next on my list, and then the Pyrénées maybe. And, one day, Iceland!

I'm so excited, I just had to share:

I justed booked a two week trail riding vacation in the Pyrénées in august this year! *yay* This is going to be quiet an andventure and so much fun!

http://www.cheval-en-pyrenees.com/EN/ra ... trek-.html

Kelo
Herd Member

Postby Kelo » Mon Feb 15, 2016 5:38 pm

AmityBee wrote:I justed booked a two week trail riding vacation in the Pyrénées in august this year!

That is so exciting AmityBee! Be sure to post photos and a review when you get back :)

PaulaO

Postby PaulaO » Mon Feb 15, 2016 6:23 pm

That looks like a tough ride, AmityBee. I certainly would not be in shape for it. But what an experience you will have.

Hayburner

Postby Hayburner » Tue Feb 16, 2016 3:52 pm

I agree that learning/practicing at home is a great idea. Then when you do go for your dream riding vacation you can hone in on what you already know and enjoy even better riding and instruction.
I'd love to join a group that is traveling to Epona or even to Paul Belasik's. I've even thought of going down to Lynn Palms for a few days of sun and riding.

PNG_Pony
Herd Member

Postby PNG_Pony » Tue Feb 16, 2016 9:16 pm

Depending on how you define "vacation" you could also go the short-term working student route somewhere. I did that last year and it worked well. Just be upfront and clear about expectations and such!

This year, on my travels back to the US, I'm going on a couple-day horse trek in New Zealand's South Island. Very excited :D :D

demi

Postby demi » Wed Feb 17, 2016 7:29 pm

Hayburner wrote:
I'd love to join a group that is traveling to Epona or even to Paul Belasik's. I've even thought of going down to Lynn Palms for a few days of sun and riding.

I have also been thinking about the Paul Belasik short course. I could pass the BMI requirement, but I wonder if my age (62) would be a problem. I am fairly sure I could handle it physically but maybe they wouldn't want to bother with a Senior...I just think it would be so helpful. And I love working on position and seat.

scruffy the cat
Herd Member

Postby scruffy the cat » Fri Feb 19, 2016 10:46 pm

My DH and I just decided to go to the Royal Windsor Horse Show this May to see the dressage. Charlotte Dujardin will be debuting her new Olympic freestyle with Valegro. We're going to tack on a riding vacation around it. I'm disappointed because the hotel we're staying at normally does riding through the Windsor Great Park, but they're not doing it that week because of the horse show. So we are looking for other riding options. My husband is an absolute beginner, so we have to factor that in. Now I'm just trying to find good places to go.

Baroque
Herd Member

Postby Baroque » Thu Feb 25, 2016 8:49 pm

Regarding the difference between PRE and Lusitanos, both are normally very sensitive horses to ride, but the PRE are generally much more accommodating and calmer to work with than the Lusitanos which can get rather cross if aids are not to their liking. So the Lusitanos are generally sharper and hotter than the PREs which will work well for most riders.

Both breeds are really lovely horses to ride and I have ridden quite a few wonderful PRE & Lusitano stallions, PRE mares and Spanish / Lusitano partbreds. 8-)

I'm planning another classical dressage training trip to Spain next year to visit my instructor for some more intensive training. 8-)
He does not take in new students anymore so Epona would probably be a great place for you all to go as the instruction there is very good I have heard.

It'll be interesting to hear of your experiences there as I have often thought they may be worth a visit. Of course you should also visit Jerez and the Real Escuela while in that part of Spain, it is well worth spending a few days watching the training and performances! ;)

Baroque
Herd Member

Postby Baroque » Thu Feb 25, 2016 8:50 pm

PNG_Pony wrote:Depending on how you define "vacation" you could also go the short-term working student route somewhere. I did that last year and it worked well. Just be upfront and clear about expectations and such!

This year, on my travels back to the US, I'm going on a couple-day horse trek in New Zealand's South Island. Very excited :D :D

Hope you enjoy your South Island trek!

scruffy the cat
Herd Member

Postby scruffy the cat » Fri Feb 26, 2016 2:52 am

Update: We will be riding 3 days in the Cotswolds AND riding in the Windsor Great Park AND seeing Charlotte Dujardin. Hot diggity.

AmityBee
Herd Member

Postby AmityBee » Fri Aug 12, 2016 11:39 am

AmityBee wrote:
AmityBee wrote:Dressage in portugal is on my short list of destinations for riding vacations.

I'm so excited, I just had to share:

I justed booked a two week trail riding vacation in the Pyrénées in august this year! *yay* This is going to be quiet an andventure and so much fun!

http://www.cheval-en-pyrenees.com/EN/ra ... trek-.html

It is time! I'm so excited! We are leaving for Toulouse tomorrow! *yay*
My friend is bringing a the GoPro. There are going to be plenty of pictures for sure!

PaulaO

Postby PaulaO » Fri Aug 12, 2016 11:51 am

Have a wonderful time! I'm so excited for you.

piedmontfields

Postby piedmontfields » Fri Aug 12, 2016 1:14 pm

Have a great trip! And share some photos later if you can.

BTW, my DH and I are now thinking of a non-riding trip to Portugal this winter...and then I need to follow-up and make riding holiday plans! I am getting close to age 50---and this needs to happen :-D

Hayburner

Postby Hayburner » Fri Aug 12, 2016 6:58 pm

Well Ladies. Are we getting a group together for Epona? As a sensitive PRE owner, I would love lessons and a riding vacation.
i

Flight

Postby Flight » Fri Aug 12, 2016 11:45 pm

I'd love to go to! Not sure I'd get more leave this year, considering I've just had 4 months off, but worth a try :)

piedmontfields

Postby piedmontfields » Sat Aug 13, 2016 12:22 pm

When are you thinking Hayburner?

Flight

Postby Flight » Sun Aug 14, 2016 12:54 am

I can go end of Nov, start of Dec ????? :D ?? :D

PaulaO

Postby PaulaO » Sun Aug 14, 2016 1:11 pm

I've decided against going. Too much scary stuff in Europe plus I'm riding regularly now. But don't let that stop a group of you going!

piedmontfields

Postby piedmontfields » Sun Aug 14, 2016 9:20 pm

Well, I'm going to Europe twice this fall, but neither will be a riding holiday. I think I need to be properly organized for 2017!! I also need more vacation time LOL!

Hayburner

Postby Hayburner » Mon Aug 15, 2016 2:47 pm

Piedmontfields - I would like to go when the weather is around 70 -75 and not during a rainy season.

Demi - I am 59 - I would pass the BMI - but, being on the green side I'm not sure if Belasik they would take me...I definitely need work on my position - rising trot sucks - my sitting isn't bad since my PRE is a dream to sit. No bouncing around on her - she's super smooth....

scruffy the cat
Herd Member

Postby scruffy the cat » Tue Aug 16, 2016 2:35 am

Just wanted to say that I had a superb riding vacation in the Cotswolds in May at http://www.cotswoldsriding.co.uk/
Wonderful lessons where I really learned something, followed by hacks out in the gorgeous countryside and even a ride to a nearby town for lunch in a pub, followed by a ride home. My husband is a total beginner and he was happy in his up-down lessons and his very safe mounts for our hacks. Our B&B was owned by the stables owner and was beautiful, and the pub in the village of Stanton had fabulous food and incredibly warm people. Highly recommended- we will be back.

Return to “The Observation Lounge/ Cookbook Forum even Hot Topics”