Clinic organizing 101?

Avola
Herd Member

Clinic organizing 101?

Postby Avola » Thu Dec 03, 2015 6:06 pm

Just got word that one of my very favorite trainers will be coming to Oregon in the Spring. The original location of the clinic is a bit far from me but I will be attending it regardless because I absolutely love riding with this person and since I moved from California to the big black hole of serious trainers that is the Southern Oregon Coast, I have not been able to do so. Good enough, right?
Well....I am being asked, if I can rouse up enough interest, to see about organizing a clinic here!
I know of a facility, I can post flyers on the local riders FB group, I've ridden in numerous clinics but I've never organized one.
What do I need to know? I'd like to be able to generate enough interest that this trainer will actually 1) come and 2) have a good experience. Being that he's not strictly into dressage, I "think" I might be able to get together a local bunch of "cowgirls' but would love some input from the collective wisdom of the BB as to what I actually need to do.

Tuddy
500 post plus club

Re: Clinic organizing 101?

Postby Tuddy » Thu Dec 03, 2015 9:48 pm

I have organized a few clinics... And it is a lot of work. Find out the clinicians rates and requirements are, find out how much the facility rental is and then go from there. Then there are many questions that need to be answered. How many students max? Where will the clinician stay? Hotel? Stay with someone? What are the requirements of the facility? Vaccinations? Coggins test? How much per day to keep a horse? Can they supply hay and shavings? How much? Haul in option available? Then food? Cater food? Brown bag it? There are probably things I am forgetting, but, at the end of the day, if you are up to the challenge, go for it!

Avola
Herd Member

Postby Avola » Fri Dec 04, 2015 2:52 am

No doubt it is a lot of work. Clinician would be staying at my house which is about 15 minutes from the facility, so that is one less expense/headache. The facility is as lax as it gets but they are full so no room for overnight stays which could be a problem. There is another place not quite so close so I'll have to look into that if overnight stabling is required as far as availability for transient riders. Haul in fee at the facility close by is ridiculously low so that wouldn't be a problem. Not sure about the other place. Lunches would have to be brown bagged (I'll provide for clinician and wife) but from what I understand people are used to that around here. I'll need for sure to find out about the clinician minimum requirements (how much guaranteed per day in order to even show up?) and maximum amount of riders per day. Auditors.....typically do the auditing fees go towards paying the facility, or do they go to the clinician, or.....? Who does typically pay for the facility? Does it come out of the riding fees or....? Thanks Tuddy!

Kelo
Herd Member

Postby Kelo » Fri Dec 04, 2015 2:27 pm

I've only done this a couple times, but found it to be a real pain. Necessary to get the clinician here, but a pain.

Start with how much the clinician costs -- their day fee, travel, other expenses and how many hours they will work. Then add in the facility costs and all other expenses. When I did it they were all lumped into the amount the riders would pay.

So if the clinician costs $1000 per day, and the facility is $500, and clinician will work 8 hrs, that's $190/hour that you have to make up. Not including any other expenses.

Then you have to figure up the format of how you want the clinic to run. In my western sports, it's often just the whole group of riders (let's say 8-15) who sit on their horses all day. Clinician talks, sometimes demos, then the riders go one at a time, clinician coaches/corrects and everyone else watches. Over the day you move through different exercises or maneuvers. If you did a group clinic, you can get 15 people for $100 each. Dressage is usually one-on-one, which means each individual rider has to pay more. So if you have 10 45-minute private lessons in that 8 hours, you're talking $150 per lesson. Or you could get *your* lesson free (to allow for the work of organization) and charge $170.

Then you have to think about insurance and liability issues (does the clinician and facility take care of those? or do you need to do event insurance?), who does arena maintenance and how often, do you need additional arena items (dressage arena, letters, mounting block, etc), are there bathrooms or do you need to rent a porta potty?

You'll have to look at it from the participants standpoints. Can they get the stuff they need -- stabling (if applicable), shavings, a place to park their rig, water, hotel (if applicable) etc. -- in a fairly convenient matter. What kind of paperwork will they need? (coggins, etc).

How are you going to handle money? Do they pay in full up front? or a deposit? Discount for early-bird signup? What happens if someone can't make it? How many auditors do you expect and how much do you think you can charge?

Then you have to advertise....flyers, social media, word-of-mouth....to drum up business.

Food is also something you need to consider, will you provide food for sale? or no?. We provided lunch as part of the clinic -- my husband made chili in a big pot (it was pretty cold), and we had paper bowls and various fixins for it. And water and tea. It was a nice way for everyone to sit around and visit. The facility had some small items for sale, as well (hot chocolate, snacks).

And then are you able to take a loss if, heaven forbid, you can't get the clinic filled?

Just a few thoughts from my experience. I'm not an expert, though, so I'm sure I'm missing plenty.

Avola
Herd Member

Postby Avola » Fri Dec 04, 2015 3:34 pm

Oy....it sure sounds like a pain but....if it's what it takes to get the man here so be it....and if it becomes too much of a hassle I can still haul for the weekend to the closest place he'll be going to. Thanks!

khall
Bringing Life to the DDBB

Postby khall » Fri Dec 04, 2015 6:42 pm

I organize clinics on my farm at least 3 times a year and have for years now. Yes it is a huge PIA but I do it so I can afford to ride with the instructor of my choice on a semi regular basis.

I'll tell you what I do to keep it affordable for my riders. No facility rental, so that does not go on top which it would if I had to rent a facility, clinician stays here on the farm, clinician only teaches 8 riders a day, run 8-5 with hour lunch break, I do have lunch to buy that I cook (kind of famous for the lunches here) soups, different lunch meats, salads, usually some good desserts (charge $10 if you want lunch provided), auditors fees come to me to help offset expenses, stabling or paddock rentals are $20 per night shavings included, they have to clean the stall when they leave if possible, I charge $120 per ride and I try to make it so that I pay little for my rides, subsidize my lessons which is what makes it worth the work of hosting a clinic, we usually go out one night for dinner and sometimes have a lecture by DVM and potluck dinner (great fun, lots of wine is drunk! separate charge paid to DVM) I provide food and lodging for clinician, water sometimes snacks for riders and a safe place to ride/learn. Went from barely filling 2-3 days to filling 4-4 1/2 days. Having the right clinician really helps.

The clinician has website and FB page that helps to get the word out about clinics. I have FB page for my farm and email list of all who have ridden and continue to ride with clinician. I try to accommodate my regular riders first before new riders fill spots. The only time I refund is if I can fill the spots, so far I have been able to fill all spots that unexpectedly have come open.

I am 15 minutes from small town with quite a few hotels because they are on the interstate. Sometimes I will have riders stay overnight in their trailers, don't have RV hookups but 110 that some use, I don't charge for them staying.

We come into the house to eat to cool off or warm up depending on the weather and be able to sit down and eat, all are welcome. Bathroom is at house or at barn whichever is closer they are welcome to use.

Clinician brings his own sound system, nice portable one, I provide the power.

There is always something to manage and I still have to care for the farm and all the animals on it, play hostess and ride! But it is so worth it to be able to work with this clinician. I have learned so much from him.

Maple
Greenie

Postby Maple » Sat Dec 05, 2015 4:00 pm

As someone who has organized clinics and shows for close to 20 years, my most important piece of advice is: after you ascertain what you are going to charge (taking into account all expenses), make sure that everyone who signs up pays up front. EVERYONE.

No exceptions, no excuses.

Otherwise you get the situation where day of clinic, someone calls and says "oh, my horse pulled up lame yesterday, my FIL showed up unexpectedly, my trailer reg. expired, yada yada yada". I have seen this over and over and over (and the excuses can be downright amazing!). And then you are left short of funds to pay expenses and have to pay the difference out of your own pocket. It's even more disastrous if more than one person backs out. Don't put yourself in that situation; be very firm. "If you want to ride with this clinician, we need your full payment by xx/xx in order to reserve your spot".

If you or the canceler can find someone last minute to fill a scratch, that's fine - the replacement person can pay the person who backed out. But you need all the money up front or it's going to end up being YOU that gets burned.

svvdressage
Herd Member

Postby svvdressage » Sat Dec 05, 2015 6:55 pm

I agree with Maple. I have orginized clinics monthly for the last 5 years. I have checks in hand before plane tickets are purchased. Everyone is aware that they are non refundable, period. People can "sell" there spots, but that is up to them but I will help if I can. I have learned that you need to have rules and stick to them. People are PITA :) "I can only ride at x time", peoplr needing to change time the day before..then change back again, chronically late people, people who want to talk to the clinician during lessons, people who wnt to only ride when the moon is full and the wind is blowing from the north. You have to be assertive enough to deal with issues

silk
500 post plus club

Postby silk » Sat Dec 05, 2015 9:16 pm

I also agree with Maple! I have riders sign a registration form and return it with their deposit to secure their spot. Deposit is usually 20% of the clinic fee. We have a clause that says full refund if organiser/clinician cancels, but otherwise completely non-refundable (though in the instance of dr or vet cert, we would be as helpful as possible in terms of finding a replacement rider - to date I've always been able to find some workable solution for cancellations).
I then set dates for the remainder of the fee to be paid by; people are welcome to pay in small instalments but have to have 50% paid by XX and 100% paid by XX. I always remind them 2 and weeks out from the due dates (I make it as easy as possible for them to remember to pay me, and how much!).

In terms of pricing... Clinician has a daily clinic fee, plus an agreed portion of expenses eg flights, depending on how many clinics she's running on this side of the world (Aust/NZ). Then there's an allowance for the facility hire (cheap). Auditor fees do not have to be paid to the clinician, but we usually do, as it helps cover the costs. We supply tea, coffee and some type of morning/afternoon tea "sweet" - these are paid for out of the auditing fees - but riders bring their own lunches.
There is a minimal fee for horses to stay on site overnight that each rider pays (some riders bring one horse, some bring two, so it's not fair to build that into the clinic cost). Riders can camp for free (no facilities eg shower or hot running water) or travel home or stay with friends who live nearby.
Clinician expenses while in the country (airport collection, food, etc) are usually covered by the organiser and the host (also an instructor).

I find that an early bird fee doesn't really help early sign ups, as we have such a small rider base for this clinician. But I also expect people to sign up early, in order to start arranging dates and whatnot, so they are told "if we don't get enough riders by XX date, then the clinic won't happen."

boots-aregard
Herd Member

Postby boots-aregard » Sat Dec 05, 2015 11:24 pm

Think about all the clinics and shows you've been to and spend a little time remembering the stuff you hated about them. Then don't do that. :twisted:

Avola
Herd Member

Postby Avola » Sat Dec 05, 2015 11:49 pm

Thank you everyone for the input. I will mull this over and see if I can generate enough interest in this particular clinician to justify the headaches then take it from there.

Return to “The Observation Lounge/ Cookbook Forum even Hot Topics”