Gift giving advice

Koolkat
500 post plus club

Gift giving advice

Postby Koolkat » Sat Dec 05, 2015 11:07 pm

So I pulled 2 "Fulfill a Wish" cards from our company Christmas tree. One is for a toaster, the other for a Men's winter jacket (sz M).

So I am contemplating getting a toaster oven, rather than a toaster. I'm thinking more versatility, and I'd like to over fulfill their wishes. I did wonder about space, etc. What do you think? Keep it to the letter or trade up?

I was going to see if Carhart made a slightly dressier version of their work jackets. We wear the work jackets on the farm and they are incredibly durable, warm, and washable. Hard to imagine someone at this economic level needing anything too dressy and so I'm hoping for at least street wearability and a range of possibilities. Again, other point of view are welcome. . .

Some of these "wishes" brought tears to my eyes - although all the child requests were gone the day that I went down, I saw things like a "Seahawks Poster" - and way too many of the children wore XL and XXL.

boots-aregard
Herd Member

Re: Gift giving advice

Postby boots-aregard » Sat Dec 05, 2015 11:19 pm

Bless you.

I used to do that with my kids. Each would choose a child's wish from a child the same age they were. I think it gave perspective.

That said, I have no response to your toaster oven question.

periastra
Novice

Postby periastra » Sat Dec 05, 2015 11:37 pm

We are collecting Toys For Tots and also items for a homeless shelter at work. The shelter said their most requested item was socks. I got packages of men's, women's and kid's socks for the collection. I also bought a bunch of warm winter hats. I am going to donate toiletries as well. I got small stuffed toys, books and coloring books for Toys for Tots. I think a toaster oven is a good choice. I like the versatility to bake as well.

Saddlebum
Herd Member

Postby Saddlebum » Sun Dec 06, 2015 5:23 am

You could get the toaster oven then include the receipt maybe? That way, if it is too big for their space, they can return it and you will still be over fulfilling their wish.

I know it's tacky but it's also thoughtful.

KathyK
Bringing Life to the DDBB

Postby KathyK » Sun Dec 06, 2015 1:03 pm

Because you have no way to know whether to "trade up," I'd go for the toaster oven. Even wondering about it is very thoughtful and kind of you.

orono
Herd Member

Postby orono » Sun Dec 06, 2015 8:12 pm

I would probably stick with the toaster. I have both, and love my T.O. but don't like it for straight up toast..and that might be what they're after. Just a suggestion, you can't go wrong either way!

Chisamba
Bringing Life to the DDBB

Postby Chisamba » Mon Dec 07, 2015 12:51 am

I do not like toaster ovens for making toast, but I have a real oven too, so I am not sure my advice is good. But I would probably just get a nice four slice toaster.

It does sound rather fun though, to consider how pleasantly surprised some one might be at getting a toaster oven. Hmmm, maybe the toaster oven and gift receipt is a great idea.

ironbessflint
Greenie

Postby ironbessflint » Tue Dec 08, 2015 5:53 pm

Another thought on the toaster is that it's less wattage (and therefore less expensive to run) than a toaster oven. IF the family has an oven, they can already do the things a toaster oven can do. My vote might be to stick with the regular toaster.

OR get a combo? Something like this? http://www.amazon.com/Hamilton-Beach-22 ... 515&sr=8-1

Return to “The Observation Lounge/ Cookbook Forum even Hot Topics”