More gift advice

pawsplus
Herd Member

More gift advice

Postby pawsplus » Sun Dec 06, 2015 10:37 am

The co-worker I drew for Secret Santa is fairly new, tends not to be talkative so no one knows much about him, young (late 20s), and male. I have ABSOLUTELY NO IDEA what to get him!! Everyone else is easy--tree ornaments, mugs, cute stuff, whatever. I am at a total loss.

$15 is the limit. Suggestions?? He has never mentioned hobbies, is not married, has no kids or pets, etc. Scarf???

Minz
Novice

Re: More gift advice

Postby Minz » Sun Dec 06, 2015 12:32 pm

Consumables!! Men love to eat, and if it isn't his thing, consumable are always useful as hostess gifts etc. For KK gifts when I don't know the person, I always buy something I would appreciate as a hostess gift, so I know if they don't like it, it can easily be regifted. Bottle of wine, liquor (if appropriate at your office) but by usual KK gift buying plan is that I like to support local artisan food makers. I pick up a couple of little things that fit into the KK budget, and then compile them into a cute basket or box from the dollar store. Some of the products I have used include: local handmade chocolates, cheese, crackers, shortbread cookies, sauces, seasonings, jams. Not all, at once but I can usually find 1-3 yummy things and then go nuts with dollar store decorations.

pawsplus
Herd Member

Postby pawsplus » Sun Dec 06, 2015 12:42 pm

I don't like giving food. No one needs that crap and since I don't buy it for myself, I prefer not buying it for others, especially my staff. Sorry--should have mentioned that food was out. I don't know if he drinks or not.

KathyK
Bringing Life to the DDBB

Postby KathyK » Sun Dec 06, 2015 12:54 pm

I would give him a $15 Amazon gift card. I'm not ordinarily a fan of gift cards, but since you don't know this person well enough to pick out something you think he will like, in this case I think it's acceptable.

piedmontfields

Postby piedmontfields » Sun Dec 06, 2015 12:59 pm

Poor Paws.

That is all the advice I can offer.

scruffy the cat
Herd Member

Postby scruffy the cat » Sun Dec 06, 2015 1:33 pm

SmartWool socks.

no.stirrups
Novice

Postby no.stirrups » Sun Dec 06, 2015 2:34 pm

Better hone your investigative skills! Engage him in a conversation. Ferret out some clues. :)

angela9823
Herd Member

Postby angela9823 » Sun Dec 06, 2015 3:38 pm

Does he have any pictures in his office? Does he like any sports that you know about? Golf? Is he a gaming person? Know any friends that you can call of his? Or family? What about those with whom he works directly? Do they ever talk to him?

bascar
Herd Member

Postby bascar » Sun Dec 06, 2015 3:39 pm

Interesting. I always go for a food option precisely because it gets consumed and isn't a useless piece of crap. But moving on

Smartwool socks - lovely option. Scarf less so, but a wooly cap/beanie is still terribly fashionable with the young folk of today.

Booze is always acceptable unless he doesn't drink. Those large festive bottles of ale (bombers? Anyway) eg Arrogant Bastard or Olde Grumbler etc etc

Festive themed thumb drives - always useful

Sunglass chains/cords - eg croakies

Or eminently practical - a gas gift card

orono
Herd Member

Postby orono » Sun Dec 06, 2015 8:10 pm

If gift cards are ok I'd go with gas, groceries, coffee or something like itunes/amazon.

pawsplus
Herd Member

Postby pawsplus » Sun Dec 06, 2015 10:18 pm

Gift card is a great idea. That covers everything. I stalked him on FB (not his FB friend but he seems to have no privacy protections), and other than gospel music, which he sings at church and with a group, I turned up nothing! We've all tried to get to know him but he's really cagey.

I might get him a nice scarf and a gift card. I'm his supervisor so I can get away with going over the limit, I think. It's not really cold enough around here for wool sox if you're a city person. I mean, I need them, but he's not doing chores in 20F--just walking 200 feet from his car. ;-)

Maybe itunes--since I know he's into gospel.

The food thing--I'm vegan and into healthy eating. I'm also the only person in the office who is not always sick. This includes this guy. So I don't want to buy foods containing animal products, or give someone food I consider unhealthy, esp as IMO that just contributes to me dealing with my staff calling in sick yet again! There is enough food available around the hols without my adding to it. And while I would love to get some really nice fruit, I find that is not true of many people.

Chisamba

Postby Chisamba » Sun Dec 06, 2015 11:02 pm

Most of my friends, self included, love a nice fruit basket. However, asking for advice does not always equal being willing consider any opinion other than your own, so I am sure you will do as you see fit under the circumstances.

hoopoe
Herd Member

Postby hoopoe » Sun Dec 06, 2015 11:18 pm

when you mentioned gospel music what flashed through my mind is a winter scarf with the black and white pattern of a keyboard.

there it is, no explanation as to why that popped out

http://www.amazon.com/Gift-House-Music- ... B008O73K30

pawsplus
Herd Member

Postby pawsplus » Mon Dec 07, 2015 12:57 am

Oh, that is a good idea! Thanks!

pawsplus
Herd Member

Postby pawsplus » Mon Dec 07, 2015 1:02 am

Chisamba wrote:Most of my friends, self included, love a nice fruit basket. However, asking for advice does not always equal being willing consider any opinion other than your own, so I am sure you will do as you see fit under the circumstances.

Not sure what your problem is. I have a right to not want to spend my I money on food I consider crap, and generally speaking, most men would not welcome a fruit basket. I've gotten some good ideas on this thread, but that doesn't mean that all are ones I will use. I think most people asking for advice accept some and discard others. That's kinda the point of asking, isn't it???

DD2
Greenie

Postby DD2 » Mon Dec 07, 2015 2:09 am

I think the point is that Minz wrote a thoughtful and I'm sure what she thought was a helpful post. To respond with "no one needs that crap" is a bit harsh and perhaps better to just disregard the advice without being demeaning,

Rhianon
Herd Member

Postby Rhianon » Mon Dec 07, 2015 2:20 am

DD2 wrote:I think the point is that Minz wrote a thoughtful and I'm sure what she thought was a helpful post. To respond with "no one needs that crap" is a bit harsh and perhaps better to just disregard the advice without being demeaning,

Ya, I agree.

Cookie
Greenie

Postby Cookie » Mon Dec 07, 2015 2:41 am

scruffy the cat wrote:SmartWool socks.

Yes.
Or a scarf is OK. Or coffee. Or a gift card.

If you think he celebrates Christmas, ornaments I think are good for anyone, male or female.
AKA LaurieB :mrgreen:

scruffy the cat
Herd Member

Postby scruffy the cat » Mon Dec 07, 2015 3:45 am

FWIW, SmartWool socks are not just for farmers in freezing weather. Lightweight SmartWool is appropriate even for summer- merino is a great temperature regulator, keeping you cool in hot weather and comfortable in cold.

The guy might not be a scarf-wearer, but he could be a sock-wearer. You'd hope.

Though an ITunes gift card always fits and is the right color.

FlyingLily
Novice

Postby FlyingLily » Mon Dec 07, 2015 10:17 am

I'm still trying to wrap my head around how this list of things could be referred to as "crap":

"local handmade chocolates, cheese, crackers, shortbread cookies, sauces, seasonings, jams."

pawsplus
Herd Member

Postby pawsplus » Mon Dec 07, 2015 11:18 am

FlyingLily wrote:I'm still trying to wrap my head around how this list of things could be referred to as "crap":

"local handmade chocolates, cheese, crackers, shortbread cookies, sauces, seasonings, jams."

Well, other than seasonings, which I can't see a guy who isn't a cook wanting, they are all pretty much fat, animal products, sugar, and highly processed. The fact that people seem to think that's OK shows why the world is obese and unhealthy, I guess. I don't eat any of that stuff myself, and, while others have the right to do so, I don't buy stuff for people that I wouldn't eat myself.

Does anyone really think that the world needs more chocolate or cookies in the holiday season? I get my 2 vets fruits baskets and both clinics always say they are a huge relief from the piles of fatty, sugary stuff that inundate them throughout the hols.

I apologized for failing to say "no food" at the outset. I have appreciated many of the suggestions. Let's drop the food thing, OK? :-)

amygdala
Herd Member

Postby amygdala » Mon Dec 07, 2015 2:34 pm

:lol: i'm with pawsplus-- the last thing anyone needs during the holiday season is more fatty sugary crap!

FlyingLily
Novice

Postby FlyingLily » Mon Dec 07, 2015 8:25 pm

I don't think presents are intended to address needs, solely. Come to that, no one 'needs' an office gift at all.

We all need to get out more, so should Paws just shove this guy out the office door and yell at him to run?

angela9823
Herd Member

Postby angela9823 » Mon Dec 07, 2015 8:44 pm

pawsplus wrote:Does anyone really think that the world needs more chocolate...?
(raises hand) Just kidding. :lol:

I think Paws has a valid point. I'm guilty of sending stuff that I know is crap to my business colleagues knowing they would eat it but that I really don't want them sending it to me. I like the idea of the fruit basket (if you were going to do food). I do also love the idea of something like homemade jams. Could there have been a nicer way to put it? Definitely. But the other ideas given were fabulous and her argument against the food makes some of us think twice about giving it to others.

boots-aregard
Herd Member

Postby boots-aregard » Mon Dec 07, 2015 8:53 pm

I personally love fruit baskets, but I have a family of people to eat it. If someone sent me Harry and David fruit-of-the-month, no way could I get thru 12 pears before some spoiled. And if he doesn't (appear to) have many friends, who is he going to share them with?

But a Safeway or Whole Foods gift card? I could use that, easy. I could even buy myself a "gift" rather than staples with it.

Canyon
500 post plus club

Postby Canyon » Mon Dec 07, 2015 10:29 pm

Here you go. No junk calories involved.

Walk around the block.jpg
Walk around the block.jpg (19.64 KiB) Viewed 21425 times

I am going to make some as gag gifts, print out the words and glue to a block of wood.

carpevita
Herd Member

Postby carpevita » Tue Dec 08, 2015 12:24 am

I like to give movie theatre tickets when I need a gift card.

PaulaO

Postby PaulaO » Tue Dec 08, 2015 1:13 am

Oh, I like the movie gift card idea. Who doesn't like to go to the movies?

pawsplus
Herd Member

Postby pawsplus » Tue Dec 08, 2015 1:47 am

Oh, movies are good. Where does one get those? Just go to the theatre--they do gift cards now?

angela9823
Herd Member

Postby angela9823 » Tue Dec 08, 2015 11:53 am

pawsplus wrote:Oh, movies are good. Where does one get those? Just go to the theatre--they do gift cards now?
That or go online. Some - like Regal- allow gift purchases online.

Chancellor
Site Admin

Postby Chancellor » Tue Dec 08, 2015 7:00 pm

pawsplus wrote:Oh, movies are good. Where does one get those? Just go to the theatre--they do gift cards now?

Raises hand....I don't like going to the movies...BUT, this IS something that could be re-gifted.

Chancellor
Site Admin

Postby Chancellor » Tue Dec 08, 2015 7:31 pm

How about coffee?

pawsplus
Herd Member

Postby pawsplus » Tue Dec 08, 2015 9:47 pm

Haven't seen him drinking coffee at all.

emmalou
Novice

Postby emmalou » Tue Dec 08, 2015 10:10 pm

All our grocery stores have a gift card wall that includes cards for local movie theater chains. Or you can get a Fandango card.

Mirabella
Greenie

Postby Mirabella » Tue Dec 08, 2015 11:07 pm

I think that is odd that a supervisor would be involved in a gift giving. That would not be tolerated where I work.

ironbessflint
Greenie

Postby ironbessflint » Tue Dec 08, 2015 11:48 pm

Mirabella wrote:I think that is odd that a supervisor would be involved in a gift giving. That would not be tolerated where I work.

My current workplace doesn't do a gift exchange, but prior to that my supervisors always participated in the secret santa. My mom's supervisor also participates in their secret santa. I think as long as it's a random drawing with a price limit, then there's no favoritism shown so there's no problem. The more the merrier? :)

pawsplus
Herd Member

Postby pawsplus » Wed Dec 09, 2015 12:54 am

We try to avoid the whole hierarchy thing where possible. Even including the other office (which we do in things like this), there are only 7 of us, and 2 are supervisors. I don't see any reason why we shouldn't all get to have whatever fun we can get out of a day at work ;-)

Return to “The Observation Lounge/ Cookbook Forum even Hot Topics”