Where is "Home"?

Sunshine2Me
Herd Member

Where is "Home"?

Postby Sunshine2Me » Mon Dec 07, 2015 2:17 am

I've lived in my current house 3 1/2 years. My oldest DD (29 y.o.) has never lived in this house, and in fact lives in a different state. My youngest DD (27 y.o.) lived here for about 4 months and now lives about 30 miles away. Both DDs say they are coming "home" for Christmas. I find it interesting that they consider this home, sort of wherever your parents are is "home."

I like my house and where I live, but I am not attached to it. If my job required me to move, I would happily pick up everything and move elsewhere. I believe this comes from moving so many times in my lifetime.

So, where do you consider "home"?

Moutaineer
Bringing Life to the DDBB

Re: Where is "Home"?

Postby Moutaineer » Mon Dec 07, 2015 3:10 am

Home, to them, is you. How nice!

For me, this is my home now. I have lived here for 17 years and it's my perfect spot. My "Blue Castle."

My father moved from our family home years ago and his new home is not my home.

Fatcat
Herd Member

Postby Fatcat » Mon Dec 07, 2015 3:33 am

Home is my parents house, they've lived in the same house for over 40 years and it's where I grew up.

Niki
Greenie

Postby Niki » Mon Dec 07, 2015 3:52 am

Home for a long time has been where ever i happened to be living at the time and my parents place. There current place i have never lived at though so its not home.

As of last weekend though my OH and i moved into our own little acerage so that is now "home" and will be hopefully for a long time :)

AnnCohrs
Greenie

Postby AnnCohrs » Mon Dec 07, 2015 6:30 am

We lived in our first tiny house for 12 years, and I was eager to move to our current place. We've been here for 28 years and I would love to spend the rest of my life here.

However, my only child lives in Oregon and is expecting her first child and constantly begs me to move out there. We probably will. The farm behind us is being developed into crowded ugly houses and that helps me sever the emotional ties I have to this place.

Figgy
Herd Member

Postby Figgy » Mon Dec 07, 2015 8:16 am

Home is my current house, home is my parents house, both are home. I could move house tomorrow and I'd like to get a job outside of Brisbane in the next year or two, but home is where my stuff is and home is where my family is.

Chisamba

Postby Chisamba » Mon Dec 07, 2015 10:45 am

Home is for me where we now live. We have been here about fifteen years and it feels like home. Where my mom now lives is not even on the same continent as when we were children so it is not home to me, if fact I felt quite rootless and unhomed for a while .

It is nice that your kids equate you with home.

carpevita
Herd Member

Postby carpevita » Mon Dec 07, 2015 12:29 pm

Home is where my community and loved ones are. I lived in Vermont for 32 years and left a couple of years ago. I spent many months checking out areas around the country to settle in, but as it turns out no where felt as homey as Vermont, and so I returned.
Just bought a homestead a couple of weeks ago and it feels like home already.

khall

Postby khall » Mon Dec 07, 2015 1:55 pm

Home is where we live right now on a 43 acre farm that we built ourselves for the horses and me. We have lived in the house for 11 yrs now, designed and had it built and the horses have been here since July of '05 (took us 6 months of working every weekend to install our fence, 10,000 ft of flex rail). Our son was 3 when we bought the property, 4 when we moved into the house and is now 15. So he has pretty much grown up here on the farm. We built this place to live here until we are dottering, we joke they will have to wheel us out in wheelchairs. We will see, simply because 43 acres is a big place to take care of, lots of grass to mow.

PaulaO

Postby PaulaO » Mon Dec 07, 2015 2:47 pm

My right now home is my townhouse in South Elgin, Illinois. I've lived here for 10 years and have finally gotten to where everything inside is "mine." My future home will somewhere in Kentucky when I retire in 5-6 years. Home was the barn when Bob was alive. Home is also my work, the yoga studio, and London. Home is where my heart is.

Tarlo Farm
500 post plus club

Postby Tarlo Farm » Mon Dec 07, 2015 5:18 pm

Home is wherever I live. "Home" is my hometown, where I was born and raise, and returned time and time again, until settling here.

Snork
Herd Member

Postby Snork » Mon Dec 07, 2015 5:32 pm

Home is wherever my dad is. I never lived in the house he lives now but it is still home to me because he is there. In a broader sense, home is the entire little country where i come from - the air, the sky, the sun, the woods and the fields are different because it is home.

In a less visceral sense, home is also my house but it isn't so much "home" as headache and money pit and Oh My God I wish I didn't have to live in a city kind of a place. But ... you grow where you're planted, and so i'm here dreaming of sitting on the couch with my dad an ocean away.

Suzon
Herd Member

Postby Suzon » Mon Dec 07, 2015 6:54 pm

Home is Maine. More or less where my parents live, but moreso the central and southern part of the state. Just anywhere.

Sunshine2Me
Herd Member

Postby Sunshine2Me » Mon Dec 07, 2015 7:25 pm

Really interesting responses!

Suzon
Herd Member

Postby Suzon » Mon Dec 07, 2015 8:00 pm

Oh and it seems like my second home is going to be the Coastal Range of Oregon. I really love the feel there. It just feels good, like a hug. We just bought land along a creek there and will eventually be rehabbing the cabin for our "retirement" home.

BTW, Sunshine, thanks for adding an avatar...I was beginning to feel like a freak. LOL

SnowHorse
Herd Member

Postby SnowHorse » Mon Dec 07, 2015 10:02 pm

For me where I live now with my husband is "home". It's the only place in my adult life that ever felt like home.

For my husband "home" is NW Georgia, that's where all of his family is.

For my kids "home" is in Finland - my daughter has her own little place, and my son just signed a contract for his first ever home today.

My Mom's place (in Finland) I have never seen, so if "home" was where my Mom was many many MANY years ago, it changed after she moved several times.

And yeah, my husband would like to move "home" - but then I'd be out of mine :|
Face masks! Bandanas! Posters, mugs, cards etc - http://www.zazzle.com/okiepony/products -- Horses, cats, butterflies, Hummingbirds, quotes, sillies, patterns - everything!

Rockabilly
Herd Member

Postby Rockabilly » Mon Dec 07, 2015 11:33 pm

Home is Middle Tennessee where I was born and raised. My husband also. We traveled the world and my husband always said whenever I retire I'm going back to Tennessee and get me a farm and we did, Deer Wallow Farm.

bascar
Herd Member

Postby bascar » Mon Dec 07, 2015 11:56 pm

The US of A. Specifically "The West". America has been good to me..... I am honored to call it Home.

bailey
Herd Member

Postby bailey » Tue Dec 08, 2015 2:13 am

Home is where my family is, the PNW. I sometimes dream of moving the south of USA or to my husband's home of Munich, Germany but couldn't leave my family and friends. On days like today with constant rain, it's very tempting! In terms of actual home space, as long as I have a comfortable, clean bed I'm pretty good to go. Computer access is also a must have-for connecting w you guys!

The calmer I am, the stronger I am.

scruffy the cat
Herd Member

Postby scruffy the cat » Tue Dec 08, 2015 2:37 am

I don't know where home is. My parents are dead, their home sold, so there is no house to go back to. But the city in which I grew up is sort of home. My parents were Greek and we had a house there, on the coast, where we spent several summers. That home is sold, but when I went back a few years ago to scatter my sister's ashes- that also felt like sort of home- a place where I knew every secret path up to our house, the hidden caves in the mountain side, the best place to walk into the water so you don't step on a rock.

I now live in a house that I have to leave within the next year or so because the town needs our property to build up the school next door. It has been home for 13 years but soon will not be. So it feels both home and not-home.

I think my home is wherever my husband, children, and animals are.

Hoof'n it
Herd Member

Postby Hoof'n it » Tue Dec 08, 2015 7:50 am

Home is where the heart is....

For me that's my new farm.

It may be a bit different if my mum were still alive, as we had a really good relationship. But it's definitely not Dads place or anywhere else. It's where I am the happiest... On my farm, with all my animals!

Astral
Herd Member

Postby Astral » Tue Dec 08, 2015 1:11 pm

Wherever I happened to be living.
Honestly, I've never lived anywhere that feels like "home."
It's just been a series of temporary stop-overs...
(I think it's a genetic problem - no one really stayed in the same state/country for more than a generation or so anywhere in my family tree :lol:)

Return to “The Observation Lounge/ Cookbook Forum even Hot Topics”