General photography related stuff thread

Racetrackreject
500 post plus club

General photography related stuff thread

Postby Racetrackreject » Mon Oct 12, 2015 7:37 pm

I learned so much from our photography thread over on UDBB that I thought I would start one here.

What have you been shooting/working on? Any new equipment or techniques you are trying? Anyone selling any prints? If so, what sort?

I recently did a mini session for the cutest little girl and her barrel horse. Her mom sent examples of photos that she wanted to emulate with a sort of hazy backlit by the sun style, so that's what we went with.

Other than that, I've been shooting lots of playdays. I also just purchased a flash and a set of triggers to try out. I already had a vague idea of the basic way to set it up and use it, but I really need a lot of practice with it. I"m already wishing I would have purchased 2 flashes. I also picked up a softbox to play around with.

Still trying to figure out editing with my new Mac computer and matte monitor. Mac question btw, when I try to open something in preview, the photo will open quickly for like a half second then it disappears and doesn't show back up. Any ideas on what could be causing this?

Mini session sample.

Canyon
500 post plus club

Re: General photography related stuff thread

Postby Canyon » Mon Oct 12, 2015 8:00 pm

Rtr - I am a casual photographer, so I can't help you out at all. But, maybe you and others can help ME out.

I am looking for a small, decent camera, preferable $250 or less, to take on hikes and when traveling. I have had two Nikon Coolpix in the past, but DH broke them (don't ask!). I mostly take photos outdoors but would like something that takes decent shots indoors, too. I get overwhelmed when I start looking at everything that's available; I am not adverse to buying another Coolpix.

TIA!

Fatcat
Herd Member

Postby Fatcat » Mon Oct 12, 2015 8:10 pm

Canyon wrote:Rtr - I am a casual photographer, so I can't help you out at all. But, maybe you and others can help ME out.

I am looking for a small, decent camera, preferable $250 or less, to take on hikes and when traveling. I have had two Nikon Coolpix in the past, but DH broke them (don't ask!). I mostly take photos outdoors but would like something that takes decent shots indoors, too. I get overwhelmed when I start looking at everything that's available; I am not adverse to buying another Coolpix.

TIA!

Ooo, I can answer this! I recently got a refurbished canon powershot G15 for ~$299. It takes awesome pictures, and is small enough to wear around your neck while hiking. It's one step up from a p&s, but not a long lens DSLR either. The newer version is called a G16 but retail runs around $400, that's why I went with a refurbed last year's model. Here's a link to the refurbished canon I got, but there's a lot more models refurb on their site for less.

http://shop.usa.canon.com/shop/en/catal ... efurbished

TequilaMockingbird
Greenie

Postby TequilaMockingbird » Mon Oct 12, 2015 8:25 pm

Can anyone point me towards so Photoshop / photo editing tips? I'm pretty good at the shooting portion but I think my photos would look much better with some post processing.

WheresMyWhite
500 post plus club

Postby WheresMyWhite » Mon Oct 12, 2015 8:26 pm

RTR - You read my mind... there was such a wealth of information we exchanged OTFB (On The Former Board) that I was sad to loose that connection.

Nothing lately as until recently, weather was just too nasty (read that hot) to want to be outside for long.

But Wednesday, dragging the D750 with the 70-200mm over to Phoenix International Raceway where there is a practice day open to the public.

And, joined the Desert Botanic Garden and looking forward to their evening activities (Las Noches de las Luminarias and a Bruce Munro: Sonoran Light exhibit). I've done night photography at the Denver Botanic Garden but getting their Blossoms of Light shots during the holiday season often means shooting in the cold, cold (been there in the 15-20 degree range). Will be nice to shoot in slightly warmer weather :)

Also on tap as my life is settling down a bit is learning bird and wildflower "behavior" and what to see when...

WheresMyWhite
500 post plus club

Postby WheresMyWhite » Mon Oct 12, 2015 8:27 pm

TequilaMockingbird wrote:Can anyone point me towards so Photoshop / photo editing tips? I'm pretty good at the shooting portion but I think my photos would look much better with some post processing.

Do you shoot raw or jpg?

What camera?

There may be easier tools to post process than PS depending on what type of post- you are looking for???

TequilaMockingbird
Greenie

Postby TequilaMockingbird » Mon Oct 12, 2015 8:54 pm

I have a Nikon D5100. I use the kit lens and this zoom lens: http://www.amazon.com/Nikon-55-300mm-4- ... br%20/%3EH

I'm shooting in .jpg. I'd shoot in raw if I knew what to do with it.

I'm not looking to do anything crazy, just something to make them look more professional. Most of the things I read go way above and beyond what I'm looking to do, especially considering I've never used photoshop before.

Here's an example of a photo I took. Not the best thing ever yet it was better than the professional who took the official photo right next to me. https://scontent-dfw1-1.xx.fbcdn.net/hp ... 1242_o.jpg

Racetrackreject
500 post plus club

Postby Racetrackreject » Mon Oct 12, 2015 9:16 pm

TequilaMockingbird wrote:I have a Nikon D5100. I use the kit lens and this zoom lens: http://www.amazon.com/Nikon-55-300mm-4- ... br%20/%3EH

I'm shooting in .jpg. I'd shoot in raw if I knew what to do with it.

I'm not looking to do anything crazy, just something to make them look more professional. Most of the things I read go way above and beyond what I'm looking to do, especially considering I've never used photoshop before.

Here's an example of a photo I took. Not the best thing ever yet it was better than the professional who took the official photo right next to me. https://scontent-dfw1-1.xx.fbcdn.net/hp ... 1242_o.jpg

Just going with the photo you posted, I would like more space around the subjects. In other words, if you've cropped it this tight, I would try a wider crop. If this were in RAW, I would stick it in lightroom, play with the exposure, dial down the highlights, brighten up the shadows, and just because it's personal style, lower the saturation a bit. But, this is mostly just personal style/taste.

I rarely ever use photoshop, so I can't really speak to that part. I'm a photoshop dummy..lol. What I end up doing is, when I want to do something for a photo, I just google what I want to do, then read a few techniques, maybe watch a video, then I follow the steps I just read about and figure it out.

WMW- Oh, the raceway thing sounds fun!!

I went 2 weekends ago to an airshow thinking I would get some cool plane photos, paid $15 to get in, and there were like 6 planes in total. You couldn't even get within like 500 yards of them. It was awful, so I just left after taking like 10 photos. Apparently airshows today are not like the airshows of my youth. We used to go tons of them growing up since half of my family are pilots, but they were much different than this.

I wish our botanical garden wasn't so anti-photography. I love taking photos of flowers.

Canyon- For lower priced cameras, Panasonic and Sony have some great point and shoot type cameras, or save up a bit more and get one of the mirrorless cameras.

Inamo
Greenie

Postby Inamo » Mon Oct 12, 2015 9:18 pm

For Photoshop hints and tips check out Glyn Dewis, he's the guy who unlocked Photoshop for me, he's got lots of tutorials on YouTube and a book too. For plugins the Nik collection is brilliant, I love silver efex pro.

Suzon
Herd Member

Postby Suzon » Mon Oct 12, 2015 10:18 pm

Racetrackreject wrote:I learned so much from our photography thread over on UDBB that I thought I would start one here.

What have you been shooting/working on? Any new equipment or techniques you are trying? Anyone selling any prints? If so, what sort?

Love the photography threads!

Just got done teaching my first ever photo workshop with a friend of mine. She did the marketing portions, I did the Photoshop, and we both did the photography instruction. Here are some of my photos. I didn't shoot a lot because I was teaching and there was a lot of stuff I missed, but here's what I have:

https://fuzzywunkle.smugmug.com/Galleri ... /i-x6JBCXd

After listening to my friend's marketing stuff, I definitely need to work on my website/social media presence this winter!

WheresMyWhite
500 post plus club

Postby WheresMyWhite » Mon Oct 12, 2015 10:56 pm

I'm similar to RTR. I shoot raw and use LR for post. That allows me the flexibility to adjust the various settings to my personal taste (yes, raw will be larger files but there is more info in them to mess with.)

As for Nikon, look at ViewNX which is Nikon's free post processing software. It might do the trick and be easier to use as well.

RTR, why do you say your local garden is anti-photography? Seems like most are pretty cool with it if you don't plan on using the photos for commercial use. Sometimes, if you are shooting the work of an artist, the artist may have additional "restrictions" but they still usually only apply for noncommercial use.

The Pima Air Museum is south of Tucson and I'd like to get down there with my wide angle (14-24mm). Tons of static displays. Just a bit of a hike to get there and been too lazy (again, weather related as many of the displays are outside). The new power chair and mobility van should make it a bit more appealing to go visit :)

Pooh on the air show. I am waiting to see if Luke AFB has an air show this coming year. Although the air shows I am torn between shooting them and just plain watching the planes fly :D

Suzon, lovely photo. Would have liked to have been there for your workshop!

ProudHorse
Greenie

Postby ProudHorse » Mon Oct 12, 2015 11:25 pm

o
Last edited by ProudHorse on Sun Nov 01, 2015 2:53 am, edited 2 times in total.
Compassion is not a four letter word.

Spotted at X
Greenie

Postby Spotted at X » Tue Oct 13, 2015 4:02 am

I've been shooting client portraits and my kids photos with a Canon D60, I have a 50mm 1.8 lens I got recently that I'm just loving the bokeh on, but most of my horse portraits are still done with my (I think its a) 100-350mm 4-5.6f telephoto. I havent been aggressive about advertising at all with two small kids at home, and I need to work on that. I'm hoping to add a better telephoto lens for indoor equestrian events next year as the 4-5.6f just doesn't cut it!

I'm also planning to add lightbox to the new computer, once we move. My old laptop died and I think it's time to start using a real editing program!
Leopard and Spot fanatic! :mrgreen:

Spotted at X
Greenie

Postby Spotted at X » Tue Oct 13, 2015 4:09 am

It's telling me my horse portrait and wedding portraits are too large to add so meh, it's to late to fight with it! Lol. But here's the baby! :D
Attachments
FB_IMG_1442255155037.jpg
My son Carmine with the new lens
FB_IMG_1442255155037.jpg (36.05 KiB) Viewed 29922 times
Leopard and Spot fanatic! :mrgreen:

viscountessleftfield
Herd Member

Postby viscountessleftfield » Tue Oct 13, 2015 5:18 am

TequilaMockingbird wrote:Can anyone point me towards so Photoshop / photo editing tips? I'm pretty good at the shooting portion but I think my photos would look much better with some post processing.

Check out Creative Live or Lynda.com - they both have wonderful classes!

I finally bought the Mastin Labs presets and I'm loving them, but I did learn how to edit by hand before I made that jump.

viscountessleftfield
Herd Member

Postby viscountessleftfield » Tue Oct 13, 2015 5:40 am

So glad to see this over here!

We killed our D800 on Saturday at a wedding - the strap failed and it landed on the asphalt on it's top. I'm insured but it still sucks.

I have a ton of weddings this month, lots of travel.

And, I'm still in love with the D750 and my 105 2.8 Macro. It's amazing.

ProudHorse
Greenie

Postby ProudHorse » Tue Oct 13, 2015 6:28 am

o
Last edited by ProudHorse on Sun Nov 01, 2015 2:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
Compassion is not a four letter word.

Spiritpaws
Novice

Postby Spiritpaws » Tue Oct 13, 2015 10:59 am

I shoot with a Canon D 70 with a 75-200 mm lens, and the Fuji XT-1. My subjects are mostly wildlife, dogs, and show jumpers.

I am thinking of upgrading to the Canon D Mark 11. Anyone shooting with Canon?

Literiding
Herd Member

Postby Literiding » Tue Oct 13, 2015 11:53 am

Well, I am going to have to become a "Johnny Come Lately" to this thread. I'm off on a week long adventure (sleeping my my horse trailer's LQ) learning about Boarder Collie sheep dog hearding trials. I'm playing photopgrapher for my sister who came to Virginia's "Tripple Crown" of sheep trials. All kinds of new terminlogy, outrun, the lift, the fetch, the drive and the sheering circle and pen (not necessarily in that order). So you'll have to wait until next week to see if I got any decent photos and/or video.

TequilaMockingbird
Greenie

Postby TequilaMockingbird » Tue Oct 13, 2015 12:38 pm

Racetrackreject wrote:Just going with the photo you posted, I would like more space around the subjects. In other words, if you've cropped it this tight, I would try a wider crop. If this were in RAW, I would stick it in lightroom, play with the exposure, dial down the highlights, brighten up the shadows, and just because it's personal style, lower the saturation a bit. But, this is mostly just personal style/taste.

I agree with you on the cropping. I pulled a heavily cropped one off my Facebook which was only cropped that heavy for Facebook use.

I downloaded the ViewNX program. I've switched the settings on my camera to RAW so I will play with that some this weekend. I live on the back side of a reservoir so I have lots to take pictures of when the mood strikes.

Here's a few more:

And another that while not a particularly great picture technically, it's one of my favorite pictures. I was driving downtown one day and saw this group and had to pull over. All I had was my cell phone camera.

I've gotten some really amazing videos using the zoom as well. The video quality on my camera is great but I hate using it for video because it's so difficult to hold it steady when on the "live" view (ie through the LCD screen instead of the view finder).

I had to lay on my back in my front yard to get this one (will go to 1080HD).
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PG_vFINp9O0

Racetrackreject
500 post plus club

Postby Racetrackreject » Tue Oct 13, 2015 1:30 pm

Yay! So exciting to see so many posts and so many great photos.

My photo was shot with a Nikon D610 and nifty fifty 50mm prime lens. I also have my 2 older Nikon DX models, but I rarely even pull them out anymore. I even shoot my playday type stuff with my D610 and a 70-200 2.8 (cheaper, non -VR version). I love that lens!! The DOF is mind boggling to me.

WMW- Our local botanical garden doesn't allow photos unless you buy a permit, which is expensive (think commercial use expensive), and even then the photos are their property and you can't do anything with them. They have warnings all over the place saying that they will take your cards or your camera if you won't hand over the cards.

Not sure how these will show up (files too big to upload), but here are a few playday photos and some planes. Sorry about the watermarks, but for the big, non-charity shows, I watermark them on Facebook and reduce the quality. All shot with d610 and 70-200 2.8.

WheresMyWhite
500 post plus club

Postby WheresMyWhite » Tue Oct 13, 2015 4:53 pm

RTR, holy cow on the local gardens. Both Denver and Phoenix BG's allow photography for noncommercial use. I don't recall for Denver what the commercial use cost was (mostly weddings and such).

Wonder what the origins of that policy came from.

Love the planes!!! (But then again, I am an aircraft junky.) The colors make a nice shot!

Racetrackreject
500 post plus club

Postby Racetrackreject » Tue Oct 13, 2015 6:47 pm

WheresMyWhite wrote:RTR, holy cow on the local gardens. Both Denver and Phoenix BG's allow photography for noncommercial use. I don't recall for Denver what the commercial use cost was (mostly weddings and such).

Wonder what the origins of that policy came from.

Love the planes!!! (But then again, I am an aircraft junky.) The colors make a nice shot!

Yeah, it's pretty ridiculous. It doesn't sound like much $ at first, but it adds up quickly. You to be a blooming level member which is a minimum $150 donation, then you have to pay each time you visit at $150 for 2 consecutive hours plus entrance fees. You also have to purchase a permit which I think is also $150 when you apply and you are not guaranteed to be approved. There is another fee as well but I can't remember what it's for. Then, once you make it passed all of that, you cannot do anything with the photos except look at them on your computer or camera basically. If you print or post the photos anywhere, you have to have the gardens permission (for a fee of course), then the photos have to be credited to the gardens and your name cannot appear in conjunction with the photo.

Per their rules anyone who has a tripod, dipod, or any equipment deemed by the director to be beyond a casual observer is considered a photographer and must abide by the above.

Thanks, I wish they would have had more planes!

TequilaMockingbird
Greenie

Postby TequilaMockingbird » Tue Oct 13, 2015 7:05 pm

RTR, I think you may live near me. If you don't mind me asking, what garden is that?

Racetrackreject
500 post plus club

Postby Racetrackreject » Tue Oct 13, 2015 9:08 pm

Shangri-la

Does a UDBBer actually live near me??? :o

Racetrackreject
500 post plus club

Postby Racetrackreject » Wed Oct 14, 2015 9:36 pm

Best way to edit hay out of a horse's mouth? I have photoshop and I can fix most of it with heal or clone, but some areas, mainly where the clumps are at the meeting of the lips, I don't have anything to clone or heal from. Is this something that frequency separation would help with?

Suzon
Herd Member

Postby Suzon » Wed Oct 14, 2015 9:56 pm

Racetrackreject wrote:Best way to edit hay out of a horse's mouth? I have photoshop and I can fix most of it with heal or clone, but some areas, mainly where the clumps are at the meeting of the lips, I don't have anything to clone or heal from. Is this something that frequency separation would help with?

It depends on the photograph. Sometimes with FS you can paint in matching color detail on the Low layer and then fix your texture on the high layer.

Racetrackreject
500 post plus club

Postby Racetrackreject » Wed Oct 14, 2015 9:58 pm

Suzon wrote:
Racetrackreject wrote:Best way to edit hay out of a horse's mouth? I have photoshop and I can fix most of it with heal or clone, but some areas, mainly where the clumps are at the meeting of the lips, I don't have anything to clone or heal from. Is this something that frequency separation would help with?

It depends on the photograph. Sometimes with FS you can paint in matching color detail on the Low layer and then fix your texture on the high layer.

Hmmm, I may just have to send these out. I think I only have 3 that are this way.

viscountessleftfield
Herd Member

Postby viscountessleftfield » Thu Oct 15, 2015 3:40 pm

I'd try Elm photography in Cleveland for retouching. That's where my stuff goes when I don't have time to do it.

Anne
Herd Member

Postby Anne » Fri Oct 16, 2015 6:52 am

I had some hopes of developing a photography hobby, but find my time and interest is just not there for a DSLR - I love photos but am more the point-and-snap type.... so, I am about to try to sell my Nikon D5100, but find (as I took it out of its carry case) it looks rather dusty.... is that a big no-no? Is there an easy way to clean it? We do live in a dusty environment at present because we are pretty much on a building site (building our own house, and living in 'tiny house' units right there). Any advice appreciated!

Woost2
Herd Member

Postby Woost2 » Sat Oct 17, 2015 10:35 pm

http://shop.usa.canon.com/shop/en/catalog/powershot-g15-refurbished

Is that a viewfinder on the Powershot??

Racetrackreject
500 post plus club

Postby Racetrackreject » Mon Oct 19, 2015 2:02 pm

Anne wrote:I had some hopes of developing a photography hobby, but find my time and interest is just not there for a DSLR - I love photos but am more the point-and-snap type.... so, I am about to try to sell my Nikon D5100, but find (as I took it out of its carry case) it looks rather dusty.... is that a big no-no? Is there an easy way to clean it? We do live in a dusty environment at present because we are pretty much on a building site (building our own house, and living in 'tiny house' units right there). Any advice appreciated!

If it has been sealed up with the caps on, you could probably just wipe down the outside, but I would lean towards taking it to a camera shop and having it cleaned before you sell it. Buyers can be pretty picky, and it would be easier to have it cleaned than to sell it and deal with someone saying it was a bad sell because there was dust inside or something.

viscountessleftfield
Herd Member

Postby viscountessleftfield » Mon Oct 19, 2015 3:50 pm

Racetrackreject wrote:
Anne wrote:I had some hopes of developing a photography hobby, but find my time and interest is just not there for a DSLR - I love photos but am more the point-and-snap type.... so, I am about to try to sell my Nikon D5100, but find (as I took it out of its carry case) it looks rather dusty.... is that a big no-no? Is there an easy way to clean it? We do live in a dusty environment at present because we are pretty much on a building site (building our own house, and living in 'tiny house' units right there). Any advice appreciated!

If it has been sealed up with the caps on, you could probably just wipe down the outside, but I would lean towards taking it to a camera shop and having it cleaned before you sell it. Buyers can be pretty picky, and it would be easier to have it cleaned than to sell it and deal with someone saying it was a bad sell because there was dust inside or something.

And, the Nikon BST group on FB is a great place to sell - or at least I assume it's a good place to sell equipment, I've bought a ton off of it! :lol:

Racetrackreject
500 post plus club

Postby Racetrackreject » Mon Oct 19, 2015 4:04 pm

viscountessleftfield wrote:
And, the Nikon BST group on FB is a great place to sell - or at least I assume it's a good place to sell equipment, I've bought a ton off of it! :lol:

^^^ I see great stuff on there all of the time and very few issues posted.

Editing help please. I have a new matte monitor and I can't get my eye used to the way photos look on it. Is this too dark in you guys' opinion? Granted it was straight up noon, so I under-exposed them a bit in RAW. I just grabbed these off of my Facebook because after looking at them on my work computer, I thought they may be too dark, but it could be the computer.

I've only edited about 90 out of the 3k photos taken, so I can still easily change up my edits before I sync the rest.

WheresMyWhite
500 post plus club

Postby WheresMyWhite » Mon Oct 19, 2015 4:36 pm

Maybe a smidge dark but I feel that more of the last photo over the first two. First two look more like, to me, nice contrast, but could also be lightened just a bit...

My non-pro 2 cents and worth every penny you paid for it :)

TequilaMockingbird
Greenie

Postby TequilaMockingbird » Mon Oct 19, 2015 5:27 pm

Just a tiny bit dark but barely.

I took some pictures over the weekend. I've been playing with the RAW format and GIMP editor. I suck at trying to manually darken some areas. Other than that I really like this picture.

Tried to get this one to work too.

WheresMyWhite
500 post plus club

Postby WheresMyWhite » Mon Oct 19, 2015 6:01 pm

Indirectly from RTR's post... best to, if in doubt, underexpose rather than overexpose. The detail is there is the underexposed shots and can be brought out in post-processing. Much harder to "darken" an over exposed photo. This statement is true for digital (and counterintuitive for the film photogs :) ).

Suzon
Herd Member

Postby Suzon » Mon Oct 19, 2015 7:51 pm

RTR, 1/2 stop under at most. I would more like to see better detail in your shadows and better contrast in your midtones. Your whites are not blown out, and your blacks aren't blocky, but it's just kinda not *quite* there.

viscountessleftfield
Herd Member

Postby viscountessleftfield » Mon Oct 19, 2015 7:53 pm

WheresMyWhite wrote:Indirectly from RTR's post... best to, if in doubt, underexpose rather than overexpose. The detail is there is the underexposed shots and can be brought out in post-processing. Much harder to "darken" an over exposed photo. This statement is true for digital (and counterintuitive for the film photogs :) ).

I don't agree. We over expose everything by half a stop or so, especially at higher ISOs. You *can* bring exposure up at the lower ISOs without an issue, but over a certain ISO (depending on camera) you really can't bring exposure up without getting lots of color noise.

Ohhhh, have any of y'all heard of the "J Trick"?

WheresMyWhite
500 post plus club

Postby WheresMyWhite » Mon Oct 19, 2015 9:04 pm

LVF, didn't know that about over vs under exposure. Good to keep in mind...

What is the J Trick?

And, because you have more experience than I do :) - shooting at night with the D750, how far would you push ISO if you were shooting subjects that are emitting light (i.e., not reflective light) in the dark?

viscountessleftfield
Herd Member

Postby viscountessleftfield » Mon Oct 19, 2015 9:18 pm

WMW, I shoot the D750 at ISO6400 all the time and push it to ISO12800. Over that, it get's kind of fugly. Also, if you shoot custom Kelvin white balance, when you go higher in ISO, dial your kelvin number a little cooler and overexpose about half a stop. It'll help you out a lot in post!

http://support.mastinlabs.com/article/6 ... he-j-trick - J-trick. It works without Mastin, but OMG Mastin presets have made my editing much quicker. I've been deadset against presets and actions, but I can match all three cameras and film without pulling my hair out.

The attached photo was shot @ ISO6400 on the D750 at sunrise this past weekend. No noise removal was done and film grain added!

And, the ones in the orange shirt are at 3pm, open sun, no shade. Edited with their "all soft' that reduces the harshness.
Attachments
AlexisEngagement0108.jpg
AlexisEngagement0108.jpg (242.59 KiB) Viewed 29724 times
AlexisEngagement0106.jpg
AlexisEngagement0106.jpg (216 KiB) Viewed 29724 times

Racetrackreject
500 post plus club

Postby Racetrackreject » Mon Oct 19, 2015 9:42 pm

Suzon wrote:RTR, 1/2 stop under at most. I would more like to see better detail in your shadows and better contrast in your midtones. Your whites are not blown out, and your blacks aren't blocky, but it's just kinda not *quite* there.

Thanks everyone!

Yes, that's what I was thinking about the shadows, and better contrast in the midtones would make these look more dimensional (at least to me they look a bit flat, but everything looks flat to me on the matte monitor). When I brought the shadows up, the photos look flatter, but bringing out the mids would fix that, I think. At least that's what my mind is telling me..lol.

The monitor is driving me batty. If I edit for it to look right on the matte monitor, when I pull it up elsewhere, it's too light for my taste, but if I edit it a bit darker, then I feel it looks too dark, even on other machines.

This photo looks fine at home for the style mom wants, but way blown out on this computer and not enough contrast for me. Maybe it's a calibration issue and not a matte issue, idk.
Attachments
BWilliams2-Untitled Export-0060.jpg
BWilliams2-Untitled Export-0060.jpg (232.53 KiB) Viewed 29720 times

WheresMyWhite
500 post plus club

Postby WheresMyWhite » Mon Oct 19, 2015 11:23 pm

VLF, THANK YOU - will check those out!

RTR, what is your monitor?

Racetrackreject
500 post plus club

Postby Racetrackreject » Tue Oct 20, 2015 1:22 pm

WheresMyWhite wrote:
RTR, what is your monitor?

It's an HP monitor, but I'm not sure on the model. I couldn't afford the Apple monitor, so I just looked for something that would go with the rest of the Apple components. It has no bezel and the parts that show on the back are silver, it's micro-thin, and matte. Considering that my old monitor was a 10 year old HP monitor, it's a considerable step up..lol.

Better? Dark horse still looks to dark eh?

WheresMyWhite
500 post plus club

Postby WheresMyWhite » Tue Oct 20, 2015 3:30 pm

Maybe still feels a bit flat to me? And maybe try popping the blues in most of them and see if that helps?

I do like the composition of them :)

Racetrackreject
500 post plus club

Postby Racetrackreject » Tue Oct 20, 2015 6:04 pm

WheresMyWhite wrote:Maybe still feels a bit flat to me? And maybe try popping the blues in most of them and see if that helps?

I do like the composition of them :)

Thanks! And yes, that's what I keep thinking too, but I can't tell how much is because it's not on my super shiny old monitor screen. If you guys say it still looks flat though, then I know I need to fix something. Thanks! I will get the hang of this new monitor eventually.

Oh, I lost my watermark software when I switched platforms and it's not available for Mac. I've been using LR to watermark, but it's kind of pain to batch save the files with wms, and batch save them without. It takes much less time with my old software. Any suggestions?

I did try VLF's blogstomp software suggestion, but, based on the trial, the only thing I would use it for is watermarks. I hate to buy it just for that.

Josette
Bringing Life to the DDBB

Postby Josette » Wed Oct 21, 2015 10:39 am

Dummy here who cannot figure out how to post a photo. Can someone me point to a link with the instructions?

I downloaded some photos from cell phone to my Chromebook and then loaded some software to re-size it. I still get error that file is too large when I attempt to append it. :roll:

Windows software I could figure out but this Chromebook is frustrating me at times.....

TequilaMockingbird
Greenie

Postby TequilaMockingbird » Wed Oct 21, 2015 1:12 pm

How much do you guys use blur layer with a mask on your photos? I've tried it on a couple so far and really like the results. I notice a lot of pro photos have a soft, slightly glowly look and I assume this is all done mostly in post production. I'm not sure this is all created with a blur effect though.

I am quickly getting the hang of using GIMP but I have a feeling there are tons of options I don't even know exist but would use them if I did.

Racetrackreject
500 post plus club

Postby Racetrackreject » Wed Oct 21, 2015 1:37 pm

Josette wrote:Dummy here who cannot figure out how to post a photo. Can someone me point to a link with the instructions?

I downloaded some photos from cell phone to my Chromebook and then loaded some software to re-size it. I still get error that file is too large when I attempt to append it. :roll:

Windows software I could figure out but this Chromebook is frustrating me at times.....

I had the same problem so I am just hotlinking them from Facebook. The one photo I did re-size enough to upload was of the little girl and it is really small, something like 226kb. I just re-sized it through a free program (picmonkey).

Racetrackreject
500 post plus club

Postby Racetrackreject » Wed Oct 21, 2015 1:37 pm

TequilaMockingbird wrote:How much do you guys use blur layer with a mask on your photos? I've tried it on a couple so far and really like the results. I notice a lot of pro photos have a soft, slightly glowly look and I assume this is all done mostly in post production. I'm not sure this is all created with a blur effect though.

I am quickly getting the hang of using GIMP but I have a feeling there are tons of options I don't even know exist but would use them if I did.

Can you post an example?

Return to “The Observation Lounge/ Cookbook Forum even Hot Topics”