Lyme disease - bit by tick again

Josette
Bringing Life to the DDBB

Lyme disease - bit by tick again

Postby Josette » Sun Dec 20, 2015 1:27 pm

This past summer I was treated for Lyme after being bitten by a tick in the late spring. I had systemic stage 2 with multiple body rashes, fever, head ache, elevated liver enzymes. Now with this mild winter and so enjoying this weather the ticks are still very active. I've pulled several crawling on my dog after our daily walk. So last night I discover a tick on my back while taking a shower. Red sore bite area. Question - should I start taking Doxy again or wait to see if bulls eye occurs? Anyone else have this happen with a repeat tick bite? :x :(

mld02004
Herd Member

Re: Lyme disease - bit by tick again

Postby mld02004 » Sun Dec 20, 2015 1:45 pm

If it was a deer tick, I wouldn't hestitate to get on antibiotics, esp given your past history. If it was some other tick I'd wait it out.

I got bit by a deer tick (ID'ed it from pics online) and my doctor prescribed just a day or two of tetracycline as a preventative. I had no rash.

Josette

Postby Josette » Sun Dec 20, 2015 2:28 pm

Thanks! This was one of those nasty little ticks that bit me in the spring. Maybe my anxiety level is making me feel achy today too.

hoopoe
Herd Member

Postby hoopoe » Sun Dec 20, 2015 2:58 pm

I would call the doctor that treated you earlier this year and see what they think. Seems to me a preventive course is less expensive than a disabling flair-up

westisbest
Herd Member

Postby westisbest » Sun Dec 20, 2015 3:02 pm

oh gosh Josette! fingers crossed it's not the bad kind.

M&M
Herd Member

Postby M&M » Sun Dec 20, 2015 3:05 pm

They typically will give you one day's worth of Doxy. It seems really strange, but it seems to work. In your case, they may do more, and I would definitely call - like today, even though it's a Sunday. If your only option today is to go to an ER, go, get your one day's dose, and follow up with your regular guy tomorrow.

And good luck!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Jingling that the little bastard wasn't a carrier!

Tarlo Farm
500 post plus club

Postby Tarlo Farm » Mon Dec 21, 2015 6:31 pm

Good luck to you, and this is another case where I'd like to know where geographically you are?

Josette

Postby Josette » Mon Dec 21, 2015 8:10 pm

Tarlo - we live in and are surrounded by woods. Lots of deer, wild turkeys and ticks. I had an additional Doxy script for 2 weeks and decided to use it. The bite site was inflamed and very itchy yesterday. I figure with my previous bad reaction and symptoms I'm not going to wait and see what happens. The elevated liver enzymes last time were also very scary. Frustrating because it is on my right buttock cheek. DH had to check it out because I couldn't twist around with a mirror. He said it looks good. :roll:

Return to “The Observation Lounge/ Cookbook Forum even Hot Topics”