Ah Modern Voyeurism....

Suzon
Herd Member

Ah Modern Voyeurism....

Postby Suzon » Sun Dec 20, 2015 8:14 pm

My husband is on his way to our Oregon property today. He left at 4 am (Bay Area of California). I've been watching his progress on the Find Friends app on my phone. We set it up eons ago and mostly haven't used it. But he called me at 9:00 to say the snow in the mountains was making driving slick and no one was moving much past 5 miles per our. So I opened the app and have been watching him drive up I-5. He's almost to Roseburg. I've been overlaying that info onto the weather map to see what conditions he's driving in. I've also been texting him road condition updates ahead. He should now be totally out of the wet weather and fine.

People like to complain about how tethered to our phones we are but it sure beats worrying for 10 hours until you get a phone call that they made it in one piece.

Rhianon
Herd Member

Re: Ah Modern Voyeurism....

Postby Rhianon » Sun Dec 20, 2015 9:20 pm

Wow, that is so cool. I do wish we had cell coverage out here.

AirsAboveNC
Novice

Postby AirsAboveNC » Sun Dec 20, 2015 9:41 pm

That is a cool app. I set my mom and stepdad up with it before I moved from AZ back to NC, so that they could find me on my cross-country drive if they had reason to be worried.

hoopoe
Herd Member

Postby hoopoe » Sun Dec 20, 2015 10:49 pm

Oh that stretch through the Siskyous can get real dicey . I can see having something like this is quite comforting, particularly if his ability to call out is challenged.

Code3
Herd Member

Postby Code3 » Mon Dec 21, 2015 3:09 am

Very cool. It is wet up here. How is your creek handling all the rain?

Suzon
Herd Member

Postby Suzon » Mon Dec 21, 2015 5:06 am

Code3 wrote:Very cool. It is wet up here. How is your creek handling all the rain?

Well, I'll find that out as soon as DH can get to somewhere with a signal...there isn't any cell service at our place. He'll have to go to the Deadwood store to check his email and get any messages. One of the things he is up there for is to have phone/internet installed. It's kinda weird to have him completely non-reachable.

No one on the Deadwood Outreach FB group has said anything about Lake Creek (our creek) rising, just the Siuslaw.

Chancellor
Site Admin

Postby Chancellor » Mon Dec 21, 2015 3:01 pm

I need to get that for DH who sometimes forgets to call!

Quelah
Herd Member

Postby Quelah » Mon Dec 21, 2015 10:09 pm

Still jealous you're going to be living in Deadwood.

khall
Bringing Life to the DDBB

Postby khall » Mon Dec 21, 2015 11:53 pm

Yep, I follow my DH on flight aware especially when the weather is dicey while he is flying. He is a private pilot that flies as part of his job to get to other states for hearings. Not always fun when storms are closing in on him!

Suzon
Herd Member

Postby Suzon » Tue Dec 22, 2015 2:21 am

Quelah wrote:Still jealous you're going to be living in Deadwood.

Don't get too jealous. DH says currently part of the property is underwater. I said, "good, that will tell us where NOT to build the barn." He couldn't argue with that.

Code3
Herd Member

Postby Code3 » Wed Dec 23, 2015 9:12 am

Suzon wrote:
Quelah wrote:Still jealous you're going to be living in Deadwood.

Don't get too jealous. DH says currently part of the property is underwater. I said, "good, that will tell us where NOT to build the barn." He couldn't argue with that.

this weather will give you excellent information and it is unusual to get this much rain so you won't have to deal with it often.

Suzon
Herd Member

Postby Suzon » Wed Dec 23, 2015 5:42 pm

OK, he's on his way home today, so back to Find Friends. He's currently at Big O tires in Roseburg, probably trying to buy chains in case he needs them to go over the mountains.

Says the weather was miserable the whole time, but he did get the TV, phone, and internet installed andhe spent all day yesterday leveling and stabilizing the trailer so it doesn't act like a bouncy house when you walk through it (eventually, we'll be living in it while we do a major gut and reno of the house).

So that means next on the list is finalizing plans for a barn!!!!

outsiderein
Greenie

Postby outsiderein » Wed Dec 23, 2015 8:15 pm

Suzon, you may be moving to the "Middle of Nowhere, OR", but you will be quite close to me. I will PM you my email. Let me know the next time you will be up and maybe we can have lunch. With any luck Code3 will be able to join us!

Tarlo Farm
500 post plus club

Postby Tarlo Farm » Wed Dec 23, 2015 8:27 pm

I'm a sailor, and all big races use transponders on the boats. It's really fun to watch your friends and/or family as a multi-day race progresses. One year in the Chicago to Mac, boats were becalmed for three days with no end in sight. I watched an unknown boat drop out of the race and go into what I know to be a lovely little port. To my surprise, a few hours later they were back in the pack! A few days later, at an after-race-party, I happened to be standing near a crew member from that boat as he explained they gave up, sailed ashore, bought steaks and more booze, then reboarde, and sailed on the the Island.
Other boats dropped out, but sent their transponders on to the finish. You could go online and see these little boats "sailing" up I-75! :lol:

Return to “The Observation Lounge/ Cookbook Forum even Hot Topics”