Are all cats...

viscountessleftfield
Herd Member

Are all cats...

Postby viscountessleftfield » Tue Dec 22, 2015 1:37 am

Hopeless A**holes who enjoy breaking things, sleeping where they don't belong, stealing food, and knocking over glasses just for the hell of it? Or, are there good cats that exist somewhere in the universe? :lol: :lol: :lol:

Just pondering as I, once again, try to drink a glass of milk without the children's help.

pawsplus
Herd Member

Re: Are all cats...

Postby pawsplus » Tue Dec 22, 2015 2:32 am

I have one perfect cat, Calvin, and then the 6 year old permakitten from hell, Jonah.

So there are both kinds. Equally beloved, but one a helluva lot easier to live with!

Suzon
Herd Member

Postby Suzon » Tue Dec 22, 2015 2:37 am

:lol: Just to rub it in...our cats don't do any of those things. :lol: :lol: :lol: :twisted:

zevida
Herd Member

Postby zevida » Tue Dec 22, 2015 3:46 am

Awww, my cats do all those things but that's what makes them so lovable!

Inamo
Greenie

Postby Inamo » Tue Dec 22, 2015 8:59 am

Sorry, they're not all like that, ours is very civilised, it might be due to her age though. ;)

Tabby
Herd Member

Postby Tabby » Tue Dec 22, 2015 1:22 pm

Mine don't knock over glasses but they do have a way of rubbing up to them so that I have not had a cup of coffee without cat hair in years.

emmalou
Novice

Postby emmalou » Tue Dec 22, 2015 2:07 pm

I have to watch what I do with my glass of water for bedtime. If I leave it unattended, Jasper Cat drinks out of it. I love him, but not enough to share water with. Black Cat is a vicious heathen who would like to rip apart anyone but my son. Other than that, they are pretty civilized.

Astral
Herd Member

Postby Astral » Tue Dec 22, 2015 2:26 pm

I had a perfectly behaved kitty who had impeccable manners throughout her 20 year life. Even as a kitten. I do accept her as the anomaly.

(A picture illustrating her equivalent of bad behavior - she decided, in her dotage, that she was going to sleep on the buffet. End of story. No amount of barricading or moving furniture was going to deter her. But considering that was the "worst" of her behavior... it was okay.)
kitty2.jpg
Kitty at 20 years old.
kitty2.jpg (246.2 KiB) Viewed 25830 times

The other cats, though... they had their moments. Frequent moments. Nothing that I would classify as evil, but just a lack of manners and boundaries :lol:

hoopoe
Herd Member

Postby hoopoe » Tue Dec 22, 2015 2:39 pm

yes all cats are like this

Isn't it wonderful?!??!!?

typed while felinieicly impaired

M&M
Herd Member

Postby M&M » Tue Dec 22, 2015 2:45 pm

Permakitten - perfect word!

Our previous group of cats were awesome. I sorta knew it at the time, but it wasn't until this band of hellions that I really appreciated how many good cats I've had in the past.

We can't have a Christmas tree. We can't have any knick-knacks unless they are behind glass. We can't have house plants. We drink water out of plastic glasses with lids. We can't open windows more than 2 inches, except in the kitchen where the storm door has the screen on top and the glass on the bottom.

But you know how it is with these guys. You try and try and try, but you still love them, and decide not to sell them on E-bay! ;)

I tried to attach a photo, but my files were too large.

Astral - beautiful cat!

angela9823
Herd Member

Postby angela9823 » Tue Dec 22, 2015 3:01 pm

I think they are all evil. Mine has been an unmanaged diabetic for the last year. We just haven't been able to get diet and insulin to the place it needs to be yet. We changed his food in the beginning and were able to take him off insulin completely for three months. That quit working and since we haven't been able to get him to stabilize. He has his monthly vet visits and is on people insulin now and is costing a fortune. And it seems the people insulin is starting to work so now we are getting the evil version back (rather than the one that just lays around all the time). He has been known to bring in live mice and free them in front of house guests. It puts everyone in panic mode trying to catch the mouse (good thing we have a Dachshund that is a hunter/killer!). If he's not doing that, he wakes everyone up at 4:00 am. He doesn't often climb the Christmas tree but does like to sit on all the presents especially as you are trying to wrap them. I keep threatening to leave him in the boxes we are shipping off but he's grown wise to my ramblings and knows they are just that. He walks across the dogs under covers at night and makes them growl at him. Then he'll lay on them daring them to actually move. If they do, they get a claw to the nose. He claims all blankets as his own and leaves puffs of hair on any sweater sitting out. He has another vet appt today...wonder if I can convince them to keep him this time?

Sunshine2Me
Herd Member

Postby Sunshine2Me » Tue Dec 22, 2015 3:18 pm

Tabby wrote:Mine don't knock over glasses but they do have a way of rubbing up to them so that I have not had a cup of coffee without cat hair in years.

Wait! Are you saying coffee is not supposed to have hair in it?!?!?!?

Saddlebum
Herd Member

Postby Saddlebum » Tue Dec 22, 2015 4:19 pm

I feel blessed, my coffee also has a whisker, hehehehe.

viscountessleftfield
Herd Member

Postby viscountessleftfield » Tue Dec 22, 2015 5:46 pm

Suzon wrote::lol: Just to rub it in...our cats don't do any of those things. :lol: :lol: :lol: :twisted:

But, you have a broken goat, so Scrunch probably makes up for it.

Yesterday I had cat hair in my glasses of milk all.day.long.

And, the desire to run in and out of my office - I get up, let someone in/out and two minutes later they want in/out again. My gosh kitties, make up your mind!

I do love the boys, but since our old man died none of the three know what to do with themselves and they've been up to mischief for three weeks!

Suzon
Herd Member

Postby Suzon » Tue Dec 22, 2015 6:00 pm

viscountessleftfield wrote:
Suzon wrote::lol: Just to rub it in...our cats don't do any of those things. :lol: :lol: :lol: :twisted:

OMFG. She is currently pushing my chair all over the room rubbing her horns...and she gave me a heart attack this morning by jumping off the bed before I could catch her. And she challenged my assistant to a duel just a few minutes ago. I think the prune juice worked. She was a little constipated yesterday because she isn't drinking enough, so I filled her full of prune juice...apparently it turns good little goats into monsters. :lol:

Melody
Novice

Postby Melody » Tue Dec 22, 2015 6:22 pm

I have had a lot of cats over the years. Right now my three house cats are siblings. Found them when they were tiny kittens. They get along great. Only thing they do is want to chew on plants or dried flower decorations so have to have everything out of reach. The Christmas tree is in the great room which has a door so they are off limits to that. The ornaments were too much for them (I have a collection of bird ornaments among others). Only issue now will be when the new kitty is ready to try and join them. Found this young girl hanging around outside. Got her shots and her spay was done yesterday. She is recouping in a spare bedroom. I worry about my three happy, no fighting cats, that the new one "Gabby" will upset this but she really needs a home and is so super over the top loving. Will be interesting what kind of cat she will be. Right now all she wants is petting and food. She will have to learn to play with the others. She has no clue what a cat toy is.

Moutaineer
Bringing Life to the DDBB

Postby Moutaineer » Tue Dec 22, 2015 7:26 pm

My Christmas tree is wired to the ceiling and has unbreakable ornaments again this year--the heirlooms are packed away as Sage does love to climb...

And no houseplant or bunch of flowers is safe from Holmes, so we don't do them any more... too worried about him poisoning himself, to say nothing of the multicolored floral puke piles.

viscountessleftfield
Herd Member

Postby viscountessleftfield » Tue Dec 22, 2015 8:06 pm

Today they're being kinder.

Currently cat nuts are roasting by an open fire, one kitty is in his bed asleep, and the third is sitting on the window sill watching the boys next door play football in our side yard.

No assholeness today.

Kyra's Mom
500 post plus club

Postby Kyra's Mom » Tue Dec 22, 2015 8:47 pm

Gosh...how have I been lucky...twice. And these, my first 2 of the feline persuasion...and Oscar is very needy and more like a dog but he isn't destructive :D .

Maybe the sleep where they don't belong but really...they are home a lot more than me. I tend to keep the house on the cool side so if they want to dive under the covers on the bed...oh well, they are warm and nevermind that cat beds abound all over the house. Still not a big deal for me.

Oh yeah...one other vice they have is using the newly picked tomatoes as cat toys. Something about a red ball I guess. I have learned they have to be secured in something, and problem solved.

Susan

Baroque
Herd Member

Postby Baroque » Tue Dec 22, 2015 9:01 pm

Mine are angels. :roll:
zorrosm.jpg
zorrosm.jpg (25.33 KiB) Viewed 25746 times

Except when they do this...
cables.jpg
cables.jpg (185.62 KiB) Viewed 25746 times

temptingfate.jpg
temptingfate.jpg (51.73 KiB) Viewed 25746 times

Zorro likes to cuddle on my lap especially when I am making something like a shawl. The rest of the time he terrorizes poor Karma [the Bengal].

Karma has a "thing" for cables.

Especially charger cables, earbuds, shoe laces..... anything which looks like a cable, and she once chewed up a set of $500 Sennheiser noise cancelling headphones in less than 10 seconds so she is banned from the office. These 2 cables were chewed when she was left unattended in the lounge. :evil:

Baroque
Herd Member

Postby Baroque » Tue Dec 22, 2015 9:03 pm

Suzon wrote:
viscountessleftfield wrote:

OMFG. She is currently pushing my chair all over the room rubbing her horns...and she gave me a heart attack this morning by jumping off the bed before I could catch her. And she challenged my assistant to a duel just a few minutes ago. I think the prune juice worked. She was a little constipated yesterday because she isn't drinking enough, so I filled her full of prune juice...apparently it turns good little goats into monsters. :lol:

Wait! You have a GOAT inside?! :o
20151103_165459.jpg
20151103_165459.jpg (166.39 KiB) Viewed 25746 times

Suzon
Herd Member

Postby Suzon » Tue Dec 22, 2015 9:12 pm

Behold! A goat in her natural habitat. :lol: :lol:

12374851_10207376302000268_3942530094822465067_o.jpg
12374851_10207376302000268_3942530094822465067_o.jpg (137.38 KiB) Viewed 25743 times

Not to steal Viscountessleftfield's thunder or anything.

Moutaineer

Postby Moutaineer » Tue Dec 22, 2015 10:19 pm

Sage in tree.jpg
Sage in tree.jpg (204.67 KiB) Viewed 25733 times

I think this sums it up, really...

Baroque
Herd Member

Postby Baroque » Tue Dec 22, 2015 11:13 pm

Suzon wrote:Behold! A goat in her natural habitat. :lol: :lol:

12374851_10207376302000268_3942530094822465067_o.jpg

Not to steal Viscountessleftfield's thunder or anything.

Aww it's cute!

What happened to its leg? Broken or are you stretching the tendons?

I found the cardboard tubes that plastic wrap or paper towels are rolled on make great splints for goat kid tendon stretching when split down one side and covered in ducttape. ;)

Wrap leg in gamgee and put splint tube over the top then tape on with more ducttape.

Also toddler sized girl nappies are wonderful for house bound kids. Cut a hole for the tail and all is good. :lol:

Suzon
Herd Member

Postby Suzon » Tue Dec 22, 2015 11:24 pm

Baroque wrote: What happened to its leg? Broken or are you stretching the tendons?

She fell down a flight of stairs (we think her brother may have pushed her) and dislocated her shoulder. She had to go to UCDavis to get put back together.

Interesting about the stretching. I didn't know baby goats needed their tendons stretched...is it similar to foals who come out a bit contracted?...BTW, Scrunchy is full grown. She has dwarfism.

StraightForward

Postby StraightForward » Wed Dec 23, 2015 12:33 am

Chloe and Cleatus were pretty well-behaved kitties. They never destroyed furniture or climbed the curtains or anything like that. However, Cleatus was not above drinking out of your glass of water, or the aquarium if you gave him the chance. People would ask me if Chloe was declawed because she was so soft with her paws. I have a theory that long-haired kitties are a little more domesticated than the shorthairs. We had two male long-haired cats at different times when I was a kid and they were both way more docile than any of the shorthair cats we had.

Keep calm and canter on.

pawsplus
Herd Member

Postby pawsplus » Wed Dec 23, 2015 2:00 am

M&M wrote:We can't have a Christmas tree. We can't have any knick-knacks unless they are behind glass. We can't have house plants. We drink water out of plastic glasses with lids. We can't open windows more than 2 inches, except in the kitchen where the storm door has the screen on top and the glass on the bottom.

That's my life with Jonah, too. I also can't put TP on the roller--still. He's 6. I have to tell guests that the TP lives in the cabinet behind the toilet. <sigh> I keep waiting for him to grow up, but that seems to be a vain hope.

M&M
Herd Member

Postby M&M » Wed Dec 23, 2015 3:00 am

at least we can put the toilet paper on the roller!

Tabby
Herd Member

Postby Tabby » Wed Dec 23, 2015 2:12 pm

It just occurred to me that my big cat has the uncanny ability to know exactly where I intend to go and manages to constantly trip me up while I walk. I don't have to be walking a common path - ie to the fridge or the telephone. Even if I need to go to our almost never used front room - he is right there in my way. Not sure how he does it.

M&M
Herd Member

Postby M&M » Wed Dec 23, 2015 5:18 pm

This morning, my cat has been busy being a pain in the ass. And absolutely adorable. Pretty much at the same time. Survival techniques are impressive!

Suzon
Herd Member

Postby Suzon » Wed Dec 23, 2015 5:27 pm

Just so you know, while my kitties may be well behaved, they certainly enjoy hearing about the antics of their more outgoing brethren.

Melody
Novice

Postby Melody » Wed Dec 23, 2015 5:33 pm

I forgot about the toilet paper thing. Had a cat named Ivan who would shred it. Started when he was young and we had a Pyrenees puppy. Not sure which one started it but they worked together at it. The dog grew out of it but Ivan never did. Never put the toilet paper on the roller and tried to train the family to keep the bathroom doors shut. The picture of the computer cords cracked me up. My male cat Collin that I have now chewed on things like that when he was a kitten.With him and his two sisters, thought I was raising puppies instead of kittens but they all outgrew that too thank goodness. I got that plastic tube cover thing to put on the cords he was going after. He is such a wimpy cat. Was afraid of the first mouse they ever saw. His sisters have killed a few but Collin runs and hides. He is now hissing at me when he smells the new cat on my hands after I pet her. I just hope he can get over it when she is ready to join the gang. The one poster saying longer haired cats are more docile, he is long haired and pretty sweet. Just wish he wasn't afraid of everything!

Moutaineer

Postby Moutaineer » Wed Dec 23, 2015 8:10 pm

Holmes is 15 now and he still gets occasional urges to sculpt the toilet paper, I'm afraid.

Tarlo Farm
500 post plus club

Postby Tarlo Farm » Wed Dec 23, 2015 8:20 pm

I have always had well-mannered cats - once they passed the kitten stage. I had my Christmases with trees either wired up, or just out on the deck, sans ornaments. Cats are as trainable as any other animal, and more so than many. Be patient and firm.

KathyK

Postby KathyK » Wed Dec 23, 2015 9:51 pm

viscountessleftfield
Herd Member

Postby viscountessleftfield » Wed Dec 23, 2015 10:26 pm

Tarlo Farm wrote:I have always had well-mannered cats - once they passed the kitten stage. I had my Christmases with trees either wired up, or just out on the deck, sans ornaments. Cats are as trainable as any other animal, and more so than many. Be patient and firm.

I've had a few trainable kitties. Two that walked on a leash consistently.

The three that live inside now, one is mentally handicapped from an accident as a young kitten, one has panic attacks, and one just doesn't give a shit about anything. No one is horribly ill mannered, but they do enjoy drinking from my glass, knocking aluminum cans over, eating my food off my plate, sitting on my head/lap/feet while I work. And, worst of all, one cat ninjas his way into rooms that we keep shut and we don't realize it until a few hours pass and we think about not having seen him. Good god cat, wouldn't you learn your lesson after shivering in my laundry room a few days in a row? :lol:

Figgy
Herd Member

Postby Figgy » Thu Dec 24, 2015 8:20 am

In my haste to head off interstate to go see my very sick mother, I forgot to remind the cattery that my kitty is allergic to seafood.

She's been back from the cattery, its become very obvious that because I forgot to remind them of her allergy, i'm now paying the price.

Seafood goes straight through my kitty, gives her the runs in fact. There is nothing so awful than a cat with 'the runs' (runny, yellow smelly poo) - its revolting. Its been more than 48 hours since she's been back and on her regular diet and the problem doesn't seem to be letting up.....

its Christmas, its hot and humid, smell travels so quickly in the heat...

remind me why cats are forever and not just for Christmas

other than the runs she's a picture of health and very smooch. She's drinking well, she's eating. I've taken her off her wet food today because all she does at the moment is vomit that up, usually on the carpet. No. just no. so its just her dry food and i'm getting yelled at about it....but i'm over runny yellow smelly poos.

pawsplus
Herd Member

Postby pawsplus » Fri Dec 25, 2015 2:54 am

Tarlo Farm wrote:I have always had well-mannered cats - once they passed the kitten stage. I had my Christmases with trees either wired up, or just out on the deck, sans ornaments. Cats are as trainable as any other animal, and more so than many. Be patient and firm.

Not when they were orphaned at 3 weeks, and hence, never had a litter to learn from. It's like locking a kid in a closet until he's 7 and then sending him to school and expecting normalcy. Jonah just does not have normal responses to cats, people, or situations, and I learned a long time ago that sometimes there is actually nothing I could possibly do, short of almost killing him, that would make him stop a behavior. Since I'm not going to do that, I tolerate his undesirable actions, and manage them. My other cats have always been great. Calvin is so perfect it's absurd.

If I am ever stuck with an orphaned kitten again (god forbid!), I'll move heaven and earth to get him into a litter. It really is important.

Tarlo Farm
500 post plus club

Postby Tarlo Farm » Fri Dec 25, 2015 3:49 am

Kittens, puppies, foals, kids.... For sure! :D

Tabby
Herd Member

Postby Tabby » Fri Dec 25, 2015 1:09 pm

Pawsplus, don't feel bad. Some kittehs are just wired differently. I had one that not only grew up in a litter, he was from a family that had produced the nicest cats for at least 3 generations that I know of. He was simply cracked. He made us laugh - I'll give him that - but was he ever bad. Once I caught him dragging a loaf of bread up the stairs. Yes bread. A whole loaf which was approximately the same size he was. When I spotted him, he dashed up the stairs under my bed where I found a pound of butter that he'd brought up earlier. I guess he figured he might want a sandwich in the middle of the night?

SnowHorse
Herd Member

Postby SnowHorse » Fri Dec 25, 2015 3:56 pm

We don't even have a roller. Would be absolutely no use putting anything on one. One of our cats is a serial roll killer, two others do it when they happen to think about it.

And then, we have the Ornament Thief --

She's balancing on a rocking chair here.
Face masks! Bandanas! Posters, mugs, cards etc - http://www.zazzle.com/okiepony/products -- Horses, cats, butterflies, Hummingbirds, quotes, sillies, patterns - everything!

Suzon
Herd Member

Postby Suzon » Fri Dec 25, 2015 7:33 pm

SnowHorse wrote:Image

Why my sweet little tot,
The fake Santie Claus lied.
there's a light on this tree that won't light on one side.
So I'm taking it home to my workshop, my dear.
I'll fix it up there, then I'll bring it back here.

That's what that caught in the act face reminds me of. :lol:

M&M
Herd Member

Postby M&M » Sat Dec 26, 2015 4:11 am

Tabby, your bread and butter story are hilarious!

As is this from Figgy -
"remind me why cats are forever and not just for Christmas"!

khall

Postby khall » Sun Dec 27, 2015 5:01 pm

I have two orange kitties right now. I agree with Straightforward re long haired cats, I came to that conclusion as a vet tech when I had to bath cats that came into the clinic. Long haired cats at least the ones that I have been around are just more laid back than most short haired cats. I have one long haired orange tabby and one DSH orange tabby, definitely the long haired is a quieter cat, more of a lap cat. My DS can sling him across his shoulders and take him for a ride on the bike, he comes into the house and finds a place to lay never bothering anything. Now the DSH, Leo, is a romping stomping busy body who will destuff a cat toy (I have never had a cat destuff a toy!), make confetti out of toilet paper and sound like a herd of elephants as he gallops around chasing his destroyed toys. He can also turn over his litter box just for the sake of it. BTW I am trying to find Leo a home if there are any takers! I picked him up on the road a few months ago by a busy highway to keep him from being a pancake and vetted him fully. Any takers for the juvenile delinquent?

myleetlepony
Herd Member

Postby myleetlepony » Mon Dec 28, 2015 9:46 pm

Any takers for the juvenile delinquent?

NOPE! I have an orange DSH. I swear he's the devil in an orange suit.

What is it about the oranges???

carpevita
Herd Member

Postby carpevita » Wed Dec 30, 2015 12:22 pm

I kinda like rowdy orange kittys--where are you?

khall

Postby khall » Wed Dec 30, 2015 1:38 pm

carpevita, Georgia, but I can get him on transport if you are interested! I work with rescue here in Georgia and they transport quite regularly north.

Baroque
Herd Member

Postby Baroque » Mon Jan 04, 2016 8:12 pm

Suzon wrote:
Baroque wrote: What happened to its leg? Broken or are you stretching the tendons?

She fell down a flight of stairs (we think her brother may have pushed her) and dislocated her shoulder. She had to go to UCDavis to get put back together.

Interesting about the stretching. I didn't know baby goats needed their tendons stretched...is it similar to foals who come out a bit contracted?...BTW, Scrunchy is full grown. She has dwarfism.

Hope she's improving by now.

I haven't had many kids that had contracted tendons, but yes they are like foals where the tendons need a bit of work to help them stretch out so the bandaging using a supportive splint worked well on the wee goat kid I was fostering.

Return to “The Observation Lounge/ Cookbook Forum even Hot Topics”