Ursala kitty update

PaulaO
Bringing Life to the DDBB

Ursala kitty update

Postby PaulaO » Sun Jan 03, 2016 7:12 pm

Ursala has been here a week and has settled in nicely. She's free range, except for my bedroom. I don't want her in there as I tend to be a finicky sleeper. She's been staying in her room at night (with water and litterbox) but this morning I found her in the closet. She had managed to work open the bi-fold door. I figure she's ready to free range at night.

She's fun and I enjoy her. She's been perfect with the box and scratches on her posts. She has a perch upstairs, and one downstairs. My only complaint is that she wants FOOD. ALL. THE. TIME. And is very vocal about it. She has transitioned to Nutro wet and dry. She gets one serving wet in the morning and evening, an 1/8 cup dry before bed. She wants more but I can't go free choice. She'll blimp up and have GI problems. I just know it.

She has her first vet visit on Thursday night and I know she's going to hate me for putting her in the carrier. I haven't picked her up yet; she doesn't feel comfortable with both me hands around her middle. But too bad--she needs her claws trimmed and I'll just have to stuff her in and not feel bad when she cries.

Chisamba

Re: Ursala kitty update

Postby Chisamba » Sun Jan 03, 2016 7:17 pm

i wonder if she will worm her way into your bed at night, lol.

LeoApp
Herd Member

Postby LeoApp » Sun Jan 03, 2016 7:22 pm

I am not sure what you mean by a serving, but that amount of food does not sound like enough if she is a big cat. How much does she weigh?

PaulaO

Postby PaulaO » Sun Jan 03, 2016 7:48 pm

She weighs 8 pounds and a serving of wet food is 1.3 ounces. She gets that twice a day. The brand is Nutro Perfect Portions. I'll keep her on it til we see the vet. I gave her free choice dry food (Purina Naturla) for the first 2 days and she never stopped eating.

viscountessleftfield
Herd Member

Postby viscountessleftfield » Sun Jan 03, 2016 8:25 pm

We just transitioned from free fed dry food to two wet meals a day.

The children are sure they're going to starve to death. There has been much angry complaining, cry at my door in the night, scratching, mournful wailing. It's been a week and it is getting a little better, just give it time!

PaulaO

Postby PaulaO » Sun Jan 03, 2016 9:00 pm

I have to apologize to Ursala and need to remember to read labels. The single portion is only 30 calories and the label says to feed 4 portions per day. Poor girl has been getting half that. So back to Petsmart for more food. She's now eating a makeup portion and I'll give her another portion before bed. Plus kibble.

Who would have thought feeding a cat would be almost as complicated as feeding horses?

VBOpie
Herd Member

Postby VBOpie » Sun Jan 03, 2016 11:24 pm

PaulaO wrote:I haven't picked her up yet; she doesn't feel comfortable with both me hands around her middle. But too bad--she needs her claws trimmed and I'll just have to stuff her in and not feel bad when she cries.

PaulaO, I always try to put one hand cupped under their front legs and scoop them up into my arm so that their butt is in the crook of my arm. That seems to help them feel more secure.

Tabby
Herd Member

Postby Tabby » Tue Jan 05, 2016 1:42 am

Beware of a cat's ability to charm more food out of you! They can be relentless! Both of my overweight couch potatoes can attest to this. They get measured out portions at set times of the day (not breakfast anymore - I had to stop that because they kept trying to convince me that breakfast should be earlier and earlier and earlier etc., etc., etc.). They are very gradually slimming down.

hoopoe
Herd Member

Postby hoopoe » Tue Jan 05, 2016 1:41 pm

agree the crying for food is often really a social behavior

distract her with toy. Dancing wands/ kitty fishing poles ( pole line and toy ) are popular

PaulaO

Postby PaulaO » Tue Jan 05, 2016 1:44 pm

I'm fine her with meowing at appropriate meal times but she is going to have to learn to wait til I'm ready to feed her. This morning she was meowing when I got up and I just ignored her while I washed up and put on the coffee. Then she got fed.

VBOpie, I used your method of picking her up (after she went bonkers, jumped on her perch, and the thing started to topple). She was good about it. Thanks for the suggestion.

amygdala
Herd Member

Postby amygdala » Tue Jan 05, 2016 10:22 pm

a dressage whip can be a great cat toy-- and the human can use it sitting down, while the cat gets all the exercise!

Return to “The Observation Lounge/ Cookbook Forum even Hot Topics”