Gee, what an opportunity!

Abby Kogler
Herd Member

Gee, what an opportunity!

Postby Abby Kogler » Fri Jan 08, 2016 1:33 am

Not sure where to put this...was just reading Craigslist and saw this ad. Is it me? I am sick with a fever and cough, so maybe my judgement is skewy, but it cracked me up.

" FEI Dressage trainer seeks lesson horse

FEI Dressage trainer in (anonymous location) seeks bomb proof lesson horse. All lesson horses in our program are turned out 7 days a week, schooled by a trainer at least one day a week, and used for lessons no more then 5 days a week. The only expenses you would be responsible for would be board and regular maintenance (vet, blacksmith,ex). For more info please call or e mail "

=8-D

Seriously? You want me (rhetorical me here) to pay board and expenses?! on a bombproof wonderful teaching horse that you will use five days a week for lessons? Are they serious?! I have never heard of or seen any one ever do this...I have loaned lesson horses to fellow trainers in the past or done various free/feed lease arrangements, and have leased lesson horses...it would never occur to me to ask someone to give me a horse, and pay its bills! so I can teach on it for income. FEI trainer or not! Unbelievable! I cant imagine anyone going for this.

Rhianon
Herd Member

Re: Gee, what an opportunity!

Postby Rhianon » Fri Jan 08, 2016 2:43 am

Very strange. Perhaps they think that being schooled by a trainer is the big pay off?

M&M
Herd Member

Postby M&M » Fri Jan 08, 2016 3:32 am

I'm with you on this one, Abby.

Such a deal - but wait! There's more! As long as you provide the blankets, we'll take them off before the lesson, AND put them back on after!

Chisamba
Bringing Life to the DDBB

Postby Chisamba » Fri Jan 08, 2016 3:59 am

strange indeed

kande50

Postby kande50 » Fri Jan 08, 2016 11:33 am

Abby Kogler wrote:it would never occur to me to ask someone to give me a horse, and pay its bills! so I can teach on it for income. FEI trainer or not! Unbelievable! I cant imagine anyone going for this.

Sounds pretty clueless, doesn't it? Or maybe it's one of those shot in the dark things that sometimes work?

KathyK

Postby KathyK » Fri Jan 08, 2016 1:47 pm

Unreal! I can't imagine anyone falling for this.

westisbest
Herd Member

Postby westisbest » Fri Jan 08, 2016 2:24 pm

I can't imagine anyone who HAS such a horse, that would turn it over to be "schooled" by a new entity, then ridden by a bunch of unknowns 5x a week. Let's hope that this doesn't happen. Poor horses. Always at the mercy of economics, the changing whims of their custodial humans.

KathyK

Postby KathyK » Fri Jan 08, 2016 3:49 pm

westisbest wrote:I can't imagine anyone who HAS such a horse, that would turn it over to be "schooled" by a new entity, then ridden by a bunch of unknowns 5x a week.

Not only that, but pay board for the horse to be used like that, too.

angela9823
Herd Member

Postby angela9823 » Fri Jan 08, 2016 4:07 pm

Rhianon wrote:Very strange. Perhaps they think that being schooled by a trainer is the big pay off?
But really...the horse is schooled once a week? And then possibly ruined five days a week after that?

I do know someone that tried that. The owner of the horse wizened up to it fast. Trainer just didn't see what she was doing was wrong and was charging something like $400-450 per month board.

The trainer needs to get a clue! How much would it cost for me to just take my horse to that trainer once a week and have that person sit on the horse? Then I could take the horse back home or to boarding barn of my choice. Crazy the way people think.

Volte
Greenie

Postby Volte » Fri Jan 08, 2016 6:50 pm

Two classes at PSG with scores under 60% doesn't make me want to rush right out and hand over my awesome schoolmaster. LOL

orono
Herd Member

Postby orono » Sat Jan 09, 2016 3:55 am

Took me about 2.5 seconds to find the trainer in question.

I would consider this type of arrangement if Stephen Peters offered it. ;)

Though I do know a local woman who went her horse to be a lesson type horse, where she pays full expenses. So I guess it happens...

Idofly
Greenie

Postby Idofly » Fri Jan 15, 2016 8:03 pm

I paid "board" and maintenance (shoes, shots, etc.) to an outfitter to take a "project horse" gelding I stupidly bought and use him for the summer/fall hunting pack string one year. Somewhere along the way the horse found his brain and ended up being a solid citizen but it took from April to the end of October.

I could see someone doing this actually in the right circumstances for them and the horse.

Return to “The Observation Lounge/ Cookbook Forum even Hot Topics”