What ELSE do you do for fun?

PhoenixRising
500 post plus club

Re: What ELSE do you do for fun?

Postby PhoenixRising » Wed Oct 14, 2015 4:41 pm

Thank you! I do have a hard time putting it down after I've started. I get very focused when I draw, and find it easier if I have a couple hours at a time to work on it. I do think it would be good for me to do again, it helps me get out of my head. Not much else crosses my mind once I get into a project.
Go confidently in the direction of your dreams, live the life you've imagined!

kande50
Bringing Life to the DDBB

Postby kande50 » Wed Oct 14, 2015 5:07 pm

PhoenixRising wrote:Thank you! I do have a hard time putting it down after I've started. I get very focused when I draw, and find it easier if I have a couple hours at a time to work on it. I do think it would be good for me to do again, it helps me get out of my head. Not much else crosses my mind once I get into a project.

I wanted to learn to draw too, but it was very time consuming for me because by the time I had the time I was usually out of energy. For some reason, drawing seemed to take a lot of energy, which is probably because it takes a fair amount of energy to be able to focus well enough to be able to do it.

The way I work on projects now is to leave them out where I can see them, and then I'll walk by and see it and decide to work on it for a little while, and then once I get started I'm into it. Too bad that didn't work better for riding! :-)

angela9823
Herd Member

Postby angela9823 » Wed Oct 14, 2015 6:30 pm

Janet wrote:I also really enjoy teaching kids to wakeboard. They are so amazing! What took me years to learn - they get in just one or two sessions. My best friend is a fabulous driver, which also is key to teaching wakeboarding. Between the two of us we can get just about any kid up on a wakeboard in one session - often on the first try. Adults are harder to teach as it requires a fair amount of core muscle and many adults just don't have it.
I watched youtube video after video of how to get up before I tried it. We bought a really good wakeboard and boots - went to a place that specializes in fitting them to the person and skill level. I got up on my first try but I did the same with skis too. I'm lucky with good mobility and since I do lots of squats at the gym, the idea of just staying in squat form was perfectly normal until I felt comfortable enough to just get up. I've only been out on the board a total of five (?) times now. DH bought a Tige competition ski boat this year. Got on skis for the first time in thirty years this summer. I'd love to get a wakeboard instructor in person though to tell me more about what I might be doing incorrectly. DD is out there jumping wakes already as is her boyfriend....young people. :roll:

chantal
500 post plus club

Postby chantal » Thu Oct 15, 2015 12:24 am

Bike-mountain, road, whatever. Hike/bike with the dog-chancellor-we now have a Vizsla and he is very high energy. Travel with DH. Cook. Wine. Spend time with friends doing all of the above.

And yes, the kids also take a lot of time. And they are fun, emotionally consuming, challenging and amazing all rolled up into one. Even at their older ages.

KathyK

Postby KathyK » Thu Oct 15, 2015 12:25 am

kande50 wrote:I made quite a bit of pottery until I decided that I'd better leave that alone and ride more while I still could. I never got very good at throwing because I was too interested in experimenting with clays and glazes, so as soon as I get tired of riding my plan is to get back to throwing pots.

I thought I liked to draw and paint too, but eventually realized that it's actually the shapes, colors, and patterns that I'm most interested in, so I've been painting eggs and rocks because I like the shapes of them.

painted rocks and eggs (2).jpg

Beautiful! How do you prepare the surface of a rock before you paint it?

emmalou
Novice

Postby emmalou » Thu Oct 15, 2015 5:32 am

My kids take up most of my free time. I love watching them play their sports and I love the friends I've made. My son is playing football for the first time this year. I avoided it for the past few years because it scared me, but it's been so amazing for him.

Other than that, I started running again. I do very much like running after the first horrendous few weeks of getting in shape. I'm not going long distance yet - about 2 miles 4 to 5 times per week. My sister has a Cross Fit gym and I think I'm going to give it a try when the kids' fall sports are over and I have some more time. I'm a wee bit scared. LOL.

bailey
Herd Member

Postby bailey » Thu Oct 15, 2015 5:52 am

I love spin classes for exercise. I'm also an avid 'vintage store' shopper. I wish I was more creative or artistic!

The calmer I am, the stronger I am.

carpevita
Herd Member

Postby carpevita » Thu Oct 15, 2015 11:51 am

Chancellor wrote:
carpevita wrote:I need a new hobby, so this thread is really good for me. You guys are SO talented!!!!
Lifting was so fun, I loved it but developed huge nck muscles so I stopped---maybe I need a better trainer?

Would love to dive, but that will have to be on the back burner for a while I think.
I guess I'm going to get back to pilates at least---that and stalls twice a week should get me fit again at least.

Suse,
Come down to Chez Cote at the next UDBB (Now DDBB?) get together. Valerie and I will get you hooked on spinning! It is so very zen.

I DO want to learn to crochet and spinning sounds really fun.
Now that I am back in Vermont mostly full time, I can join you again--YAY!!!!!!

Moonshine
Greenie

Postby Moonshine » Thu Oct 15, 2015 12:04 pm

Swim! Now that I don't ride anymore, it's the new dressage! Seriously, they have a lot in common: no matter how often you practice, there is always something new to work on, and the slightest change in body position can mean a world of difference. Plus, with both, you end up with horrible looking hair afterwards!

I'm good at speed, but not at distances. I get too out of breath too quickly. Still trying to learn to love freestyle, but I did a 50 yard butterfly yesterday! I even have a college student giving me lessons.

carpevita
Herd Member

Postby carpevita » Thu Oct 15, 2015 12:09 pm

That is SO cool--I wish I liked swimming better--I've read its just the best thing for your body.

kande50

Postby kande50 » Thu Oct 15, 2015 12:10 pm

KathyK wrote:Beautiful! How do you prepare the surface of a rock before you paint it?

I just wash and dry if it's dirty, and then use acrylic paints. I spray them with an acrylic sealer and let them dry for a couple of weeks before I put them outside. I left some outside all summer and the paint didn't fade, but I think if I left them outside all winter it probably would?

I have a few ceramic ones that I leave outside, but my glaze palette is much more limited:

mandela balls1.JPG
mandela balls1.JPG (77.26 KiB) Viewed 21255 times

mandela ball.JPG
mandela ball.JPG (199.94 KiB) Viewed 21255 times

Astral
Herd Member

Postby Astral » Thu Oct 15, 2015 12:43 pm

-Another photography person (still working on going through all my dark room stuff to sell the lot of it... sad but necessary)
-Painting.
-Used to do a bit of pottery, but haven't had easy access to a kiln in a few years... which puts a damper on things :lol:
-Writing (I have my novel from last year's "NANOWRIMO" just sitting there... I should probably do something with it!)

I haven't had much spare time lately - full time job, part time job, horses, grad school (which is over as of now, but took up my life over the last few years) - but I do what I can!

Imperini
Herd Member

Postby Imperini » Thu Oct 15, 2015 1:12 pm

Loving the pottery and the art. I always liked the artistic stuff when I was younger, but I was too impatient to ever get really good.

Thought I'd share a pic of my blooming Phal to go along with the other pretties :) I find the key to keeping what I call "grocery store orchids" (mass produced Phals) is to repot as soon as they are done blooming. They typically come packed in super tight moss, for shipping maybe or to make sure they die after they're done blooming so people will buy more I don't know. In any case the roots can't breathe so they lose all their roots and can't survive. Hoping to actually try growing some from seed some day but that's a very involved process and requires a sterile environment.

Anyway without further delay, my currently blooming Phal which was actually my first ever orchid:
Attachments
phal_small.jpg
phal_small.jpg (72.83 KiB) Viewed 21247 times

angela9823
Herd Member

Postby angela9823 » Thu Oct 15, 2015 1:33 pm

emmalou wrote:My sister has a Cross Fit gym and I think I'm going to give it a try when the kids' fall sports are over and I have some more time. I'm a wee bit scared. LOL.
It is sooo addictive!!! I feel really good after the workout every day. Maybe it is because I've survived another one. Just kidding!! Our gym has gotten into a new routine and it is great. We do five week rotational weight lifting moves. So everyday we have a weight lifting portion - takes about 15 minutes easy pace type of thing. Then a skill - like climbing ropes, double unders or hand stand pushups. Then we do the workout which usually incorporate the weight lifting exercise for the day. After five weeks, the weight lifting will change as will the skill sets.

angela9823
Herd Member

Postby angela9823 » Thu Oct 15, 2015 1:34 pm

What a fun thread learning about what other interests people have!

Ryeissa

Postby Ryeissa » Thu Oct 15, 2015 2:49 pm

Last edited by Ryeissa on Sat Sep 07, 2019 6:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Crisscreek
Greenie

Postby Crisscreek » Thu Oct 15, 2015 3:37 pm

Kande love those rocks! Now that my 3 horses have 8 good legs between them, i have time for other things. Love to cook, along with a good glass of wine. Summer hobbies flower gardening/landscaping our place, kayaking and fishing. Once winter draws in its pretty much knitting while hockey's on, and genealogy. I just wrote a book about my husband's maternal ancestry and this winter i will do his paternal. My family is already done, and i hate to admit it but his is much more interesting!

emmalou
Novice

Postby emmalou » Thu Oct 15, 2015 4:37 pm

angela9823 wrote:
emmalou wrote:My sister has a Cross Fit gym and I think I'm going to give it a try when the kids' fall sports are over and I have some more time. I'm a wee bit scared. LOL.
It is sooo addictive!!! I feel really good after the workout every day. Maybe it is because I've survived another one. Just kidding!! Our gym has gotten into a new routine and it is great. We do five week rotational weight lifting moves. So everyday we have a weight lifting portion - takes about 15 minutes easy pace type of thing. Then a skill - like climbing ropes, double unders or hand stand pushups. Then we do the workout which usually incorporate the weight lifting exercise for the day. After five weeks, the weight lifting will change as will the skill sets.

We'll see. My son has worked his butt off and is in incredible shape from football and it would be a shame to lose that between now and baseball so my plan was to send him a few times a week. I might as well go with him and try it. I don't know how I'll handle having my baby sister tell me what to do. :lol:

Valerie
Greenie

Postby Valerie » Thu Oct 15, 2015 9:18 pm

I so want to try pottery! There is a place around here that does lessons. But I just don't have time! Carpevita- next visit to Chancellor's for a New England get together, come down here and we can drive together! Spinning is cool and addictive. The last week was a competitive spinning thing called Spinzilla. I spun a mile plus! We will find out Monday how our team did.

Rockabilly
Herd Member

Postby Rockabilly » Thu Oct 15, 2015 9:41 pm

My husband and I are raising 16 baby ducks. He built a beautiful condo for them with screens and doors that go up and down. We got them just as they hatched from their eggs because we didn't want them on the pond where they would disappear. They are the cutest things ever!

Valerie
Greenie

Postby Valerie » Thu Oct 15, 2015 9:59 pm

Trying a picture again... This is what I did last week during Spinzilla.

Amado
Herd Member

Postby Amado » Thu Oct 15, 2015 10:11 pm

Such pretty yarn colors!

carpevita
Herd Member

Postby carpevita » Fri Oct 16, 2015 3:05 am

Wow those are gorgeous!
I really am called to luscious yarn, lol.

Chancellor
Site Admin

Postby Chancellor » Fri Oct 16, 2015 1:09 pm

yarn.jpg
yarn.jpg (69.8 KiB) Viewed 21145 times
Here are some of my latest skeins. The two to the left, I dyed myself. The one on the right is lovely rabbit plied with silk/merino blend.

PhoenixRising
500 post plus club

Postby PhoenixRising » Fri Oct 16, 2015 1:54 pm

I LOVE all these yarns! I am getting more and more excited to get my yarn in the mail and start my angora/merino afghan!
I'm trying to bargain my way into buying my own angora, if that happens I hope to learn to spin sooner than later. I cant keep a sheep at my house but surely I could buy the fiber. :lol:
Go confidently in the direction of your dreams, live the life you've imagined!

MissDee
Greenie

Postby MissDee » Fri Oct 16, 2015 2:36 pm

Those yarns are all gorgeous - such lovely colors and textures. I don't knit or crochet, but I'm drawn to them anyway! I could totally see myself learning to spin. My MIL has a big floor-standing jack loom that was her mother's, that I will inherit some day. I could probably have it now, as she doesn't use it, but I don't have anywhere to put it at the moment; will have to make sure the retirement house (wherever that ends up being) has a spot for it. And THEN I'll have to learn to use it!

chenders
Greenie

Postby chenders » Fri Oct 16, 2015 3:33 pm

So many creative people on here! And people with energy! I dunno how some of you find the time or the energy to do all the extra activities in addition to having horses.

I fight the never-ended battle with my weight. Joined a gym back in May that has a women's only pool so I try to do aquafit at least 3x a week. Plus I try to fit in riding 4x a week. None of that has helped my weight go down but I figure that at least I'm trying to be active.

In June, I graduated (at 50) with a BA in Medieval Studies. I didn't sign up for a course this Fall but I may continue with post-grad studies starting in the Winter/16 term. I love learning and going to classes and being around people who could be my children lol! Plus I think that continuous learning helps to keep my mind active and sharp and working.

I also volunteer on our local CADORA club, helping to run the shows in the summers. Right now we are planning our awards banquet that will be happening on Nov 1st. A short breather over the holidays then we are back at it in January, starting to plan for the 2016 show season.

If I'm not too tired in the evenings (once I get home from the barn or aquafit) I like to do cross-stitch. And of course, watch TV with one or two cats curled up on my lap :)

M&M
Herd Member

Postby M&M » Sat Oct 17, 2015 3:57 pm

Ganas, how did you make sure the camera was in the same place for your pumpkin video? It was really well done.

Janet - great photo!

I fell in love with gardening after my horses crossed the bridge. I didn't have time or energy before! I'm surprised to find that I love it almost as much as I love horses. If only the silly vegetables would whinny to me when I show up!

Phoenix Rising, maybe try African violets? I'm not great at houseplants, even though I'm pretty good at gardening, but they thrive on neglect. The only real trick is finding the right window for them.

Suzon
Herd Member

Postby Suzon » Sat Oct 17, 2015 9:29 pm

I think it's no secret I try to spend my time behind a camera. Not the greatest in the world, but I'm always working on it. Taught my first workshop in September, which was scary, and fun, and I think ended up as a success. Would love to do more teaching. Right now I spend way too much time keeping our "real" business running. However, we just bought property in Oregon and are formulating an escape plan. DH's part of that plan is to retire, my part is to build my photography business into something more than part time. So right now I'm honing who I want my target audience/clients to be and what I really want to focus on. This winter I'll be redesigning my website to better fit my vision...IF I ever get downtime. :roll:

Anyway, here are a few examples:

Oops, guess I've gone a little heavy on the black and white. :lol:

Here's a color one.

WheresMyWhite
500 post plus club

Postby WheresMyWhite » Sun Oct 18, 2015 1:22 am

[quote="WheresMyWhite"Barn Hunt and Nosework with my Border Terriers.[/quote]

Whoo-hooo - got my RATN (Novice Barn Hunt) title today!!! :mrgreen:

PS - Suzon, love the b&w of the cowboy and horse in the snow!!!!

Suzon
Herd Member

Postby Suzon » Sun Oct 18, 2015 1:31 am

WheresMyWhite wrote: Whoo-hooo - got my RATN (Novice Barn Hunt) title today!!! :mrgreen:

PS - Suzon, love the b&w of the cowboy and horse in the snow!!!!

Thanks!...it's one of my favorites. :D

And Congratulations!

Kirby's Keeper
Novice

Postby Kirby's Keeper » Sun Oct 18, 2015 1:46 am

I started sabre fencing about 8 years ago and love it! I was looking for something totally different from riding a saw an ad in the paper. I never knew that there was any fencing club in my area but there are actually 3 in Kingston which is about 45 minute drive from me. It's great fun and I have made some new friends. This weekend I have my first tournament in about 2 years. I had to stop when my husband's health began to worsen. I have to work at getting my national ranking back. I compete in the veteran's category (50+ years of age) which means that I usually end up fighting against the guys since there usually aren't enough women registered for a separate competition.

It's a great stress reliever as well. Where else can you beat someone up with a weapon and not get charged? Don't worry, I get beaten up as well. LOL

PS. It never ceases to amaze me what interesting and knowledgeable people who are members of these boards. Cheers!
Proud member of the Ilks Club ;)

Amado
Herd Member

Postby Amado » Sun Oct 18, 2015 2:00 am

Beautiful photographs, Suzon.

silk
500 post plus club

Postby silk » Sun Oct 18, 2015 2:15 am

I don't have a lot of spare time as I fill it up with all the horse things (I have a full time office job, and am a very part time barefoot trimmer)!!!

I love photography but do not make time for it. Naughty, I know, but some days I need to get out and ride. I also sew, but have not made anything in a VERY long time. I tend to start projects, get annoyed at some trivial mistake or error, and give up. I think I'm somewhat of a perfectionist, without a "staying" gene LOL. The cupboards are full of half-started projects that may one day be turned into something else ;)

I really enjoy cooking and swear there is a fat person inside me begging to be fed. I run on my stomach and I love good food (I'm also particular/picky).

If I didn't have horses I'd have cats... I am onto my third Siamese and absolutely love the breed.

I have just got 5 chickens, which are pretty cool. They have given me 25 eggs since we collected them one week ago! I wouldn't be a crazy chicken lady though, just a crazy cat one ;)

Now I'm feeling inspired and I promised someone I would take progress photos of my heavily in-foal broodmare, so I best haul myself and my camera outside :D

Amado
Herd Member

Postby Amado » Sun Oct 18, 2015 3:00 am

I used to make these intricate braided horse-hair and seed bead bracelets, but they took far too long (and my eyes got old :D) and I haven't done any in ages. But I still have a ton of beads (because you can never go into a bead store and buy just one thing) so I recently made a simpler bracelet for a friend - with just a small amount of tail hair made into a tassel charm, and I shrunk down a photo I'd taken of her horse (whose name is Pearl) and made a little teensie picture charm using modge podge.

Helygen
Greenie

Postby Helygen » Sun Oct 18, 2015 2:33 pm

My DH and I are involved in dog agility. We got two new pups last year so are in the midst of training. They are almost old enough to compete now so hopefully will get to a trial in the new year once we get those weave poles taught.

I'm trying to improve my photography skills. I just found out that there are some courses taught by a pro-photog close by so may do a couple of those over the winter.

I'm no longer riding due to back issues so I decided this summer that I'd like to learn how to ride a motorcycle. I took the course in July and passed! DH bought me a sweet little red motorbike which I'm thoroughly enjoying. :)
Attachments
first-ride.jpg
first-ride.jpg (213.78 KiB) Viewed 21019 times

Rosie B
500 post plus club

Postby Rosie B » Sun Oct 18, 2015 4:57 pm

I don't have much spare time either, and I have way too many hobbies for the spare time I do have. My primary hobbies are painting/drawing, cooking, and gardening. I also really enjoy hiking, photography, snow shoeing, and sewing. When I was on maternity leave last year I did quite a bit of seeing but haven't had time lately. My husband and I used to be avid rock climbers and spent every spare minute doing that, but it's been s year now since we've been climbing.

I'm going to try to attach a recent drawing but it might be a bit before I can get it up.
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg (107.05 KiB) Viewed 21002 times

Suzon
Herd Member

Postby Suzon » Sun Oct 18, 2015 6:16 pm

What I've always loved about the UDBB and now this board is there is such a diverse group of people with so many different interests and talents.

Amado
Herd Member

Postby Amado » Mon Oct 19, 2015 1:07 am

That's beautiful, Rosie - I love how you made the eyes blue!

Abby Kogler
Herd Member

Postby Abby Kogler » Mon Oct 19, 2015 3:30 am

I love this thread. its really nice to hear what you all are doing and how you are doing it. What an interesting bunch and talented!

I love projects and like fixing up old or neglected houses. We bought our bank owned junk heap house in 2011 and are still working on it. We just bought the house next door so are starting that one as well. I like designing yards and patios. I really love gardening. I went through the Master Gardening program while in North Carolina. I love gardening here in Cali. Our yard is full of roses and perennials. Its my favorite thing. I do not have any drawing talent though I tried hard to develop some; I think gardening and landscaping makes up for the inability to draw; I can still create things with shape and color.

I play the piano and used to teach.

I have 7 horses at home now and do most of the work myself so I don't have a lot of free time. At night I read. I just discovered Elizabeth McKaskill. I am currently rereading Lark Rise to Candleford which I have loved for years. I tend to read the same books over and over. I love Jane Austen.

I love words and love etymology. DH spent 12 years studying ancient languages and we read dictionaries in German, Spanish, and English and talk about words. I used to do a lot of writing as work but not now.

Return to “The Observation Lounge/ Cookbook Forum even Hot Topics”