What ELSE do you do for fun?

Chancellor
Site Admin

What ELSE do you do for fun?

Postby Chancellor » Tue Oct 13, 2015 6:51 pm

Michael and I are avid wine drinkers as anyone who goes to UDBB Northeast parties knows. Of course, our dogs are our children and Sherman does agility.

I have recently discovered spinning yarn. I adore it. I MIGHT have a fiber fetish! I just ordered more gloriously soft black alpaca mixed with blue silk to spin.

khall
Bringing Life to the DDBB

Re: What ELSE do you do for fun?

Postby khall » Tue Oct 13, 2015 6:59 pm

Oh yes, wine is a good hobby, but don't know too much about it. I tend to pick the wine based on the label, if it has horses on it then I will give it a try.

I have foster dogs and I enjoy working with them (well one right now the other is undergoing HW treatment), doing a clicker training class with my pit bull foster. Great fun.

I love to read, wide variety of books from autobiographies to true stories to epic fantasy books.

ProudHorse
Greenie

Postby ProudHorse » Tue Oct 13, 2015 7:01 pm

o
Last edited by ProudHorse on Sun Nov 01, 2015 2:52 am, edited 2 times in total.
Compassion is not a four letter word.

Ike
Greenie

Postby Ike » Tue Oct 13, 2015 7:03 pm

I do CrossFit, run ultramarathons, do triathlons, and enjoy remodeling and decorating projects around the house.

kande50

Postby kande50 » Tue Oct 13, 2015 7:35 pm

I made quite a bit of pottery until I decided that I'd better leave that alone and ride more while I still could. I never got very good at throwing because I was too interested in experimenting with clays and glazes, so as soon as I get tired of riding my plan is to get back to throwing pots.

I thought I liked to draw and paint too, but eventually realized that it's actually the shapes, colors, and patterns that I'm most interested in, so I've been painting eggs and rocks because I like the shapes of them.

painted rocks and eggs (2).jpg
painted rocks and eggs (2).jpg (124.39 KiB) Viewed 29192 times

Canyon
500 post plus club

Postby Canyon » Tue Oct 13, 2015 7:50 pm

I like to cook (and eat!), sew, hike, scuba dive (a great excuse to go somewhere warm in the winter), and garden. I am so happy when the seed catalogs start arriving in the winter; I love to try out a few new things every year. This year, designer pumpkins have been a big hit.

StraightForward

Postby StraightForward » Tue Oct 13, 2015 7:57 pm

Kande, I love those! Someday I want to do a mosaic-tiled rock in similar style to your painted stones, to put in our yard with our house numbers.

I keep pretty busy with my vegetable garden and running a few races per year. I have a half marathon coming up November 7th. I also seem to get in over my head with house projects and Pinterest-y things and like to cook from scratch. The creativity side of my cooking has kind of declined lately because I've been too busy to really get lost in the kitchen, but I'm having fun learning to do stuff like make my own fermented hot sauce. I just harvested some Bloody Butcher corn that I'm planning to turn into corn meal. That will be really scratch-cooked cornbread!
Keep calm and canter on.

PetraRiedel
Greenie

Postby PetraRiedel » Tue Oct 13, 2015 8:33 pm

I have two horses now (both rideable) so I don't have a lot of time for any other hobbies!
I run a bit, used to run more (10km races and half marathons) but honestly riding is more fun. I also have my Padi Open Water Diver but only dive on tropical vacations (warm water wimp), I also have my skydiving license but I am taking a break from the sky. Photography is another expensive hobby of mine - and horses are my favourite subject!
Otherwise I read voraciously on my Kindle.

Tuddy
500 post plus club

Postby Tuddy » Tue Oct 13, 2015 8:38 pm

Weight room at the gym is my other home. I love lifting heavy things. Other than that, movies with my daughter. We loooove going to movies!

boots-aregard
Herd Member

Postby boots-aregard » Tue Oct 13, 2015 8:56 pm

305913 (640x427).jpg
305913 (640x427).jpg (157.41 KiB) Viewed 29150 times

OK, JK, I only did that once.

Snorkling. That's fun. Kayaking, I like that. Mostly I paint (walls) and clean up gardens and browse appliances and deal with houses.

Avola
Herd Member

Postby Avola » Tue Oct 13, 2015 9:03 pm

I garden, I cook, I play with the dogs, I love to read and yes, we drink wine (didn't know that counted as a hobby but I'm liking the justification - a lot).
Oh, and DH and I go fishing at least once a week. Right now is salmon season so we troll in the bay. I drive and call it boating, he sits and calls it fishing, when the fish bite it's very exciting, everybody is happy.

kande50

Postby kande50 » Tue Oct 13, 2015 10:11 pm

StraightForward wrote:Kande, I love those! Someday I want to do a mosaic-tiled rock in similar style to your painted stones, to put in our yard with our house numbers.

I smash up all my broken pottery with the idea that I'm going to use the pieces to make something someday. Got into making ceramic buttons for awhile and made way too many of them. I'd use them to make something else but I don't like the holes in them. I like the colored circles, and would have used them to make tiles or something, if they didn't have holes. Maybe I'll set them on tiles and try filling the holes with glazes?

Spotted at X
Greenie

Postby Spotted at X » Tue Oct 13, 2015 10:40 pm

Reading sci-fi, fantasy, and urban fantasy (love it!) I dabble in writing, but can't finish a book, photography, one step quilting, sewing projects I've made stuffed animal horses and a pleated riding coat that I want to re-do as it came out too bulky to be practical. I love to cook, and eat, and bake! I love running, or I did before having kids, being 40 pds heavier is killing my feet/knees!
Leopard and Spot fanatic! :mrgreen:

Valerie
Greenie

Postby Valerie » Tue Oct 13, 2015 11:02 pm

I think I'm the one who got Chancellor hooked on fiber! I spin yarn. I am hooked on the feel of fleece! I have put things into 2 juried fiber fests- we will see how I do in the second one this coming weekend at Rhinebeck fiber festival. Just finished "Spinzilla"- a "monster week of spinning" where you spin on a team and compete with other teams. We had a blast, and I made well over my goal of a mile of yarn.

Silverado
Herd Member

Postby Silverado » Tue Oct 13, 2015 11:06 pm

Here's goes….I jog/run/workout…run 5K races ( I may move up to 10K & a sprint triathlon)…all in an effort to get in shape and stay in shape. We have two dogs that I play/train/show them, basically simply having fun with them. I also quilt (and yes, I have a zillion unfinished quilting projects) and Chancellor…I also spin (okay..it's been a while…I have three spinning wheels) and I also have a loom which I am seriously considering selling. It's in like new condition but I simply don't have time to weave. Farm projects/house projects (anyone want to help sand and paint our front door?) I love to cook/bake. And I enjoy reading especially during the winter months in the evenings.

WheresMyWhite
500 post plus club

Postby WheresMyWhite » Tue Oct 13, 2015 11:10 pm

Let's see (some you might have guessed :) ).

Photography (primarily landscape/outdoor stuff).
NASCAR (PIR about 20 minutes from home).
Barn Hunt and Nosework with my Border Terriers.

mzloolue
Greenie

Postby mzloolue » Tue Oct 13, 2015 11:12 pm

Valerie wrote:I think I'm the one who got Chancellor hooked on fiber! I spin yarn. I am hooked on the feel of fleece! I have put things into 2 juried fiber fests- we will see how I do in the second one this coming weekend at Rhinebeck fiber festival. Just finished "Spinzilla"- a "monster week of spinning" where you spin on a team and compete with other teams. We had a blast, and I made well over my goal of a mile of yarn.

I have never heard of this before.

What about spinning ginned cotton?
I work with cotton samples and have wondered if they could be spun into some something cool.

I garden, but not sure if that is fun or an addiction.
And DH and I have an antiques booth so we spend a lot of time picking and working on stuff.
Plus we are still working on the damage done to our house in the 2010 May Day Flood.
Last edited by mzloolue on Tue Oct 13, 2015 11:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

RedMare
Greenie

Postby RedMare » Tue Oct 13, 2015 11:13 pm

We are avid boaters! I also enjoy drag racing, autocrossing, and car shows in my free time.

Imperini
Herd Member

Postby Imperini » Tue Oct 13, 2015 11:41 pm

I have orchids, DH has cacti/succulents. The majority of my collection is Phalaenopsis with no ID, but I have a couple of special ones too, not that I don't thoroughly enjoy the Phals and their beautiful flowers

My favorite, a Neofinetia Falcata 'Akogare'
Attachments
akogare.jpg
akogare.jpg (16.94 KiB) Viewed 29086 times

Chancellor
Site Admin

Postby Chancellor » Wed Oct 14, 2015 12:12 am

Valerie wrote:I think I'm the one who got Chancellor hooked on fiber! I spin yarn. I am hooked on the feel of fleece! I have put things into 2 juried fiber fests- we will see how I do in the second one this coming weekend at Rhinebeck fiber festival. Just finished "Spinzilla"- a "monster week of spinning" where you spin on a team and compete with other teams. We had a blast, and I made well over my goal of a mile of yarn.

You certainly helped but I blame my friend Dawn. She started me on the spindle and it has been all over since then!!

Amado
Herd Member

Postby Amado » Wed Oct 14, 2015 12:51 am

Kande, those rocks are wonderful! And I have so much smashed pottery that I've saved to make mosaics "some day"!

I haven't done it in a couple of years, but I fell in love with pottery about 5 years ago, the wheel did not come naturally to me - it's taken awhile, but it has slowly gotten better. What I really love, though is playing with the glazes. Here are a couple using a resist wax from about 2010:

And some majolica work from 2013 - It's low fire, and I love doing it because it's almost like painting a watercolor!

Amado
Herd Member

Postby Amado » Wed Oct 14, 2015 12:52 am

Imperini wrote:I have orchids, DH has cacti/succulents. The majority of my collection is Phalaenopsis with no ID, but I have a couple of special ones too, not that I don't thoroughly enjoy the Phals and their beautiful flowers

I adore orchids, but I have had limited success in getting them to re-bloom. (and I killed them all accidentally before our last move ! :(

Ganas
Herd Member

Postby Ganas » Wed Oct 14, 2015 1:11 am

For a while I was pretty focused on riding but in the past few years I've loosened up some and have dusted off some other activities...

My main focus this year was hiking, I'm trying to hike all the peaks over 4,000 feet in NH and VT and so spent most of my days off in the mountains.

I also started running again, last year I injured my knee/ITB on a mountain run so have had to take it easy this year. (Oddly, hiking doesn't bother it, just running up hills) I also kayak, snowshoe quite a bit and ski. There's always something to do around here.

I don't do it every year and never expect to grow anything massive because of my locale (zone 3), but I enjoy growing giant pumpkins.

Here's a time lapse I did of one before it got squashed by a broken tree limb from Hurricane Irene.https://youtu.be/_sFL9P7c5jA

Snork
Herd Member

Postby Snork » Wed Oct 14, 2015 1:12 am

I have two young girls. My biggest joy is seeing them discover the world and become their own persons, so that's what we do for fun. I travel with them, trying to combine fun with education. The oldest swims. The youngest is obsessed with dinosaurs and crocodiles. They have a pony (which, unfortunately, they don't get to see very often). It makes for a full life, and although it is work, it is also really, really fun.

TeresaB
Greenie

Postby TeresaB » Wed Oct 14, 2015 1:22 am

Since we bought property and have the horses at home, I haven't managed to do anything but horses. I ride, clinic and show along with all the chores.

Things I really enjoy are hiking, biking, going out to eat (which we actually do a fair bit of) and wine tasting. We've become a bit particular about wine and really enjoy trying new cabs. We used to take two vacations each year and I really miss that. I need to figure out how to leave, and not be worried about leaving.

Ganas
Herd Member

Postby Ganas » Wed Oct 14, 2015 2:17 am

I'm envious of you Amado, pottery is on my list of things to try. We have a great little school that started up a few years ago, I just need to get off my butt and get to it!

Kelo
Herd Member

Postby Kelo » Wed Oct 14, 2015 2:42 am

Kande and Amado, those are so pretty!

Amado
Herd Member

Postby Amado » Wed Oct 14, 2015 2:54 am

That giant pumpkin video is awesome! :D

Spiritpaws
Novice

Postby Spiritpaws » Wed Oct 14, 2015 10:12 am

Photography, growing vegetables, doing rally and obedience with my Australian shepherds. Love taking long walks through the forest with the dogs and my camera. Restoring the soil and applying permaculture principles to the farm has become a passion.

I meditate every day which may not sound like 'fun' but the result is I'm lighter and more buoyant and laugh more.

LeoApp
Herd Member

Postby LeoApp » Wed Oct 14, 2015 11:44 am

I water ski, love working out at the gym and doing Yoga. I love to hike and kayak and just generally spend time outdoors. That is why I love trailriding so much. I also used to love to travel but haven't done it much lately.
Amado - I love that pottery. It is something I have always wanted to get into. I am artistic but haven't drawn or painted anything in ages.

carpevita
Herd Member

Postby carpevita » Wed Oct 14, 2015 12:29 pm

I need a new hobby, so this thread is really good for me. You guys are SO talented!!!!
Lifting was so fun, I loved it but developed huge nck muscles so I stopped---maybe I need a better trainer?

Would love to dive, but that will have to be on the back burner for a while I think.
I guess I'm going to get back to pilates at least---that and stalls twice a week should get me fit again at least.

kande50

Postby kande50 » Wed Oct 14, 2015 12:47 pm

Amado wrote:Kande, those rocks are wonderful! And I have so much smashed pottery that I've saved to make mosaics "some day"!

I haven't done it in a couple of years, but I fell in love with pottery about 5 years ago, the wheel did not come naturally to me - it's taken awhile, but it has slowly gotten better. What I really love, though is playing with the glazes. Here are a couple using a resist wax from about 2010:

I pretty much only only smash up the ones that crack in the kiln, but do have a lot of ugly mugs, dog bowls, and plant saucers. :-)

Your work is just beautiful, Amado. Every piece looks perfect!

Chancellor
Site Admin

Postby Chancellor » Wed Oct 14, 2015 12:49 pm

carpevita wrote:I need a new hobby, so this thread is really good for me. You guys are SO talented!!!!
Lifting was so fun, I loved it but developed huge nck muscles so I stopped---maybe I need a better trainer?

Would love to dive, but that will have to be on the back burner for a while I think.
I guess I'm going to get back to pilates at least---that and stalls twice a week should get me fit again at least.

Suse,
Come down to Chez Cote at the next UDBB (Now DDBB?) get together. Valerie and I will get you hooked on spinning! It is so very zen.

angela9823
Herd Member

Postby angela9823 » Wed Oct 14, 2015 1:07 pm

I work to pay for all my hobbies. I do get to work from home much of the time but then have to travel a lot during certain times of the year. It has been novel to not have to travel for work since June. This is the longest stint I've had not traveling for some time.

I love to go camping. Don't care if it is in a tent or our 35' camper. Just drop me in the woods or next to a lake and I'm one happy "camper". We try to do that at least once a month. My family (DH, DD and her boyfriend) usually go with my sister's family and anyone else we can drag along. Making great memories!

Kayak - joined a few Meetup groups and try to go new places with them to kayak (they camp too but haven't been able to join them on the camping trips yet).

I like to do water sports - knee board, learning to wake board, getting better at skiing. But just as happy to ride in the boat all day long. Recently went to Lake Jocassee in the upstate of SC and the scenery is amazing.

Workout at a Crossfit gym though much of the time, I'm doing the work in my own home gym. I did like motorcycling but sold my motorcycle to buy a nice gym setup for my home. With my travel I couldn't consistently go to the gym at my scheduled class time so I get the workout everyday and do it at home if I can't make it to the gym.

I feel like I also keep my house under a constant reconstruction. I get bored with the same home very easily so I change it up majorly every three years. Our last overhaul was huge. We removed many walls, rearranged dining room and kitchen and gave it an open floor plan. This year, I'm bored again so we are adding a huge addition - three car garage and a new area for my gym, master bedroom above it with new bathroom, etc. Of course all the rain SC received over the last two weeks completely undid the work that was started so I redug the footers on Monday and ready for work to restart. After this project is complete, I have plans to move our living room wall back four feet, put in a new fireplace with french doors on either side.

I stay pretty busy and love life in general because of it.

Janet
Greenie

Postby Janet » Wed Oct 14, 2015 2:36 pm

I am really enjoying hearing what everyone does for fun besides horses! So many neat hobbies. I think I could really enjoy spinning. I have done just a little bit with some lambs wool and found it to be so relaxing - and I loved the way the lanolin made my hands feel! As I don't knit I could never figure out what to do with the thread I had made. If I could figure that out, I might try it again!

Besides riding and caring for my farm, I enjoy wakeboarding. I also slalom ski, but wakeboarding has been my water sport of choice for the past 15 years. Like riding, I am a slow learner, but with steady practice and determination, I am finally starting to be a respectable wakeboarder. I am very fortunate in that I live less than a mile from a large recreation lake, and my best friend has a professional wakeboarding boat at her house on the lake. I practice a lot! Two years ago, at age 49, I jumped the wake for the first time. This year I have finally perfected my jumps and gotten them consistently over the wake with soft landings. I am now starting to work on some basic grabs.

Wakeboard 2015.jpg
Wakeboard 2015.jpg (226.66 KiB) Viewed 28945 times

The combination of riding and wakeboarding has played havoc with my back and spine. I should probably give up one or the other, but not yet! When that day comes, wakeboarding will go, but for now it is a very fun way to cool off on a hot summer day.

WheresMyWhite
500 post plus club

Postby WheresMyWhite » Wed Oct 14, 2015 2:48 pm

6c legs wrote:2 words: Marcus Ambrose.

:D

He was one of my favorite drivers... just could never get connected with the right team and car. Having said that, one of my most favorite interviews.

Hope he's doing well back down under.

Fatcat
Herd Member

Postby Fatcat » Wed Oct 14, 2015 3:00 pm

Amado wrote:
Imperini wrote:I have orchids, DH has cacti/succulents. The majority of my collection is Phalaenopsis with no ID, but I have a couple of special ones too, not that I don't thoroughly enjoy the Phals and their beautiful flowers

I adore orchids, but I have had limited success in getting them to re-bloom. (and I killed them all accidentally before our last move ! :(

I also love orchids, and am new to collecting them. I got a great book called "Orchids for Dummies", that has been a big help with the reblooming and "pruning" issues. So far so good! :)

Fatcat
Herd Member

Postby Fatcat » Wed Oct 14, 2015 3:05 pm

My hobbies depend on how my health is doing. When I'm well, I love outdoor stuff, skiing, (used to downhill every weekend), now I'm a back country skiier and snowshoer. I also love our hard apple cider orchard & production, hiking, photography, fiber arts ( I need to hook up with some of you spinners!), and gardening (I'm a heirloom peony collector).

PhoenixRising
500 post plus club

Postby PhoenixRising » Wed Oct 14, 2015 3:26 pm

I don't have time for all of the activities I enjoy on a regular basis. However there are a lot of things I really enjoy doing.
I try to go camping at least once a year, it does me good to get away and spend some time in nature. I prefer to go alone, but sometimes will take a friend. I tried kayaking this year for the first time, I really enjoyed it and could see it being something I'd like to do again on my camping trips.
I have been crocheting a lot lately, I'm working on trying to crochet in the round, which I find surprisingly difficult. I'm attempting to make my first beanie hat, before I've only made afghans. I am really wanting to learn how to spin yarn. I would love to own a few angoras and a couple sheep to spin wool from, but until I live on a farm I'll have to make do with store bought yarn, or yarn I talk others into spinning for me. I'm especially excited to be starting an angora/merino afghan in the near future that I've talked a lady into spinning for me!
I was an art minor in college (talked about that in my "about me" post). I haven't done many projects in awhile. I got very discouraged when in the separation and divorce I lost every piece of art I had made and still had in my possession at the time. I still have pictures of a few of my pieces, it makes me sick to look at them and know they're gone to who knows where. Its been hard to find the motivation to do it again. My favorite medium is graphite. I really wish I was good with paint, but I just cant seem to make it work for me.

I love reading. Fantasy novels are my typical genre but I've been known to branch out. I've been listening to a lot of audio books lately from audible due to a lack of time to actually sit down and read. I'm looking for some great book suggestions if anyone has some favorites. I just finished re-reading (listening) to the Eragon series. One of my all time favorites.

I also keep a small menagerie of animals going. Three dogs, Four hens, tons of rabbits, and my horse Phoenix. I cant wait to live on a farm and add to my collection!

I wish that I was good with plants. I love having house plants but there are very very few I've been able to keep alive... maybe its just not meant to be.
Go confidently in the direction of your dreams, live the life you've imagined!

angela9823
Herd Member

Postby angela9823 » Wed Oct 14, 2015 3:37 pm

Janet wrote:Besides riding and caring for my farm, I enjoy wakeboarding. I also slalom ski, but wakeboarding has been my water sport of choice for the past 15 years. Like riding, I am a slow learner, but with steady practice and determination, I am finally starting to be a respectable wakeboarder. I am very fortunate in that I live less than a mile from a large recreation lake, and my best friend has a professional wakeboarding boat at her house on the lake. I practice a lot! Two years ago, at age 49, I jumped the wake for the first time. This year I have finally perfected my jumps and gotten them consistently over the wake with soft landings. I am now starting to work on some basic grabs.

Very impressive! I'm still at the stage where I'm just trying to turn the wakeboard without face planting! :shock: I can get up now in either direction and turn from bad side to good side...but going from good side to other - wham - face first. :x

PaulaO

Postby PaulaO » Wed Oct 14, 2015 4:14 pm

I got into yoga after I retired Bob. Yoga became my dressage. I do it twice weekly, and am taking a weekend course once a month on integrating yoga into life. I also work out with a personal trainer once a week, and twice a week repeat our session on my own. Despite this activity, I still have 30 pounds to lose so I'm a WW member.

I recently redecorated my entire townhouse--new carpeting, new furniture, new kitchen. I love spending time sitting in my new furniture, just looking around. I read constantly--I'm at the public library at least 2 times a week. Fortunately it's a mile from my house. I love to travel and just returned from a 2 week adventure in Paris. Almost as much fun as travel is planning the travel, and talking about our previous vacations.

My artistic hobby is rubber stamping. I belong to a group that meets monthly. I'm not an original artist, but I can copy real good!

I also like to cook and recently bought a 1967 mint edition of Mastering the Art of French Cooking. Every winter I swear I'm going to make Julia Child's boeuf bourginon, and this is the year!

kande50

Postby kande50 » Wed Oct 14, 2015 4:17 pm

PhoenixRising wrote:I was an art minor in college (talked about that in my "about me" post). I haven't done many projects in awhile. I got very discouraged when in the separation and divorce I lost every piece of art I had made and still had in my possession at the time.

Something like that would be very hard for me too, because after spending so much time on a project it's worth so much more to me than to someone else. :-(

pawsplus
Herd Member

Postby pawsplus » Wed Oct 14, 2015 4:18 pm

Because one expensive and time-consuming hobby just wasn't enough, I have taken up sea kayaking. In summer '14 I went on a 5-day kayak trip in the San Juan Islands and fell head over heels in love with the sport. I now have my own boat, which I paddle on local Tennessee lakes and rivers, and make the most of my visits to my mom in Canada. I did a 4-day trip in Johnstone Strait (N. part of Vancouver Island) this past summer. I'm planning a solo trip in the Gulf Islands (near Vancouver Island) for next summer.

Me in a rental boat in English Bay (Vancouver) this past summer:
ET_crop.JPG
ET_crop.JPG (168.62 KiB) Viewed 28908 times

Here I am in my own boat (Wilderness Systems Tsunami 140 for those in the know) at a bracing class last month (red boat in the back):
high_bracing2.jpg
high_bracing2.jpg (53.43 KiB) Viewed 28908 times

Chancellor
Site Admin

Postby Chancellor » Wed Oct 14, 2015 4:19 pm

PaulaO wrote:I got into yoga after I retired Bob. Yoga became my dressage. I do it twice weekly, and am taking a weekend course once a month on integrating yoga into life. I also work out with a personal trainer once a week, and twice a week repeat our session on my own. Despite this activity, I still have 30 pounds to lose so I'm a WW member.

I recently redecorated my entire townhouse--new carpeting, new furniture, new kitchen. I love spending time sitting in my new furniture, just looking around. I read constantly--I'm at the public library at least 2 times a week. Fortunately it's a mile from my house. I love to travel and just returned from a 2 week adventure in Paris. Almost as much fun as travel is planning the travel, and talking about our previous vacations.

My artistic hobby is rubber stamping. I belong to a group that meets monthly. I'm not an original artist, but I can copy real good!

I also like to cook and recently bought a 1967 mint edition of Mastering the Art of French Cooking. Every winter I swear I'm going to make Julia Child's boeuf bourginon, and this is the year!

DO it! It is sooooo worth the effort!

PhoenixRising
500 post plus club

Postby PhoenixRising » Wed Oct 14, 2015 4:31 pm

kande50 wrote:
PhoenixRising wrote:I was an art minor in college (talked about that in my "about me" post). I haven't done many projects in awhile. I got very discouraged when in the separation and divorce I lost every piece of art I had made and still had in my possession at the time.

Something like that would be very hard for me too, because after spending so much time on a project it's worth so much more to me than to someone else. :-(

Exactly! Most of my projects I spend/spent countless hours on. I've lately been feeling the urge to break out my supplies and give it a go again, but have yet to have the time. These are a few projects I did in Highschool, among the ones I lost. Everything I did in college is also lost, and unfortunately I didn't get pictures of any of those.
Attachments
dressage horses.jpg
dressage horses.jpg (35.38 KiB) Viewed 28900 times
Arabian.jpg
Arabian.jpg (27.82 KiB) Viewed 28900 times
Boot.jpg
Boot.jpg (26.39 KiB) Viewed 28900 times

PhoenixRising
500 post plus club

Postby PhoenixRising » Wed Oct 14, 2015 4:32 pm

Last one, it wouldn't let me put them all in one post
Attachments
Mare and foal.jpg
Mare and foal.jpg (28.73 KiB) Viewed 28900 times

Fatcat
Herd Member

Postby Fatcat » Wed Oct 14, 2015 4:33 pm

PhoenixRising wrote:I have been crocheting a lot lately, I'm working on trying to crochet in the round, which I find surprisingly difficult. I'm attempting to make my first beanie hat, before I've only made afghans.

I'll PM you some good patterns for beanie hats ;)

PhoenixRising
500 post plus club

Postby PhoenixRising » Wed Oct 14, 2015 4:34 pm

Fatcat wrote:
PhoenixRising wrote:I have been crocheting a lot lately, I'm working on trying to crochet in the round, which I find surprisingly difficult. I'm attempting to make my first beanie hat, before I've only made afghans.

I'll PM you some good patterns for beanie hats ;)

That would be great! Thank you!

Janet
Greenie

Postby Janet » Wed Oct 14, 2015 4:37 pm

angela9823 wrote:Very impressive! I'm still at the stage where I'm just trying to turn the wakeboard without face planting! :shock: I can get up now in either direction and turn from bad side to good side...but going from good side to other - wham - face first. :x

Ugh! The face plants are the worst! I once fell so hard I had two black eyes for a week! Little wonder I had to have a fusion in my cervical spine last year... Learning switch foot took me a long time - learning to get up on your off foot is the best way to start to learn - then it is all about balancing on the center of a good rocker board to make the switch above water. I was a good 5 years learning to do this well!

I'm not sure what type of board you are using, but it really does make a difference. I wakeboarded for 5 years on a board that wasn't big enough for me and didn't have a 3 stage rocker. Once I got the correct board, switch foot was much easier and the face plants became fewer. I have taken quite a few lessons with professional boarders - that helps a lot too. Like dressage, seeing it done correctly really helps.

I also really enjoy teaching kids to wakeboard. They are so amazing! What took me years to learn - they get in just one or two sessions. My best friend is a fabulous driver, which also is key to teaching wakeboarding. Between the two of us we can get just about any kid up on a wakeboard in one session - often on the first try. Adults are harder to teach as it requires a fair amount of core muscle and many adults just don't have it.

kande50

Postby kande50 » Wed Oct 14, 2015 4:38 pm

PhoenixRising wrote:Last one, it wouldn't let me put them all in one post

Yes, definitely get out your supplies and make some more, because it would be such a shame to let that kind of talent go to waste. I do most of my painting a few minutes at a time when I'm waiting for the dogs to come back in, or waiting for someone to drop something off, or only have a few minutes. I think drawing would be something that could be done that way too--f it's not too frustrating to have to put it down once you get started?

Return to “The Observation Lounge/ Cookbook Forum even Hot Topics”