Headed to Glacier NP

Racetrackreject
500 post plus club

Headed to Glacier NP

Postby Racetrackreject » Wed Jan 13, 2016 4:36 pm

The SO and I think we have decided on our vacation location this year and it will be Glacier NP. Who has been? Where did you stay? What did you do? Any must-sees? Is it best to fly into Kalispell? Best time to go?

It looks like we will be there for around 10ish days. I'm hoping to maybe do a horseback ride there just for the experience. We are pretty active and will likely do lots of hiking too. I'm thinking of maybe splurging to do a private wildlife tour, wolves specifically are what we would like to see, but all other would be great as well.

Chisamba
Bringing Life to the DDBB

Re: Headed to Glacier NP

Postby Chisamba » Wed Jan 13, 2016 5:06 pm

i have not been there, so this would be a very unhelpful, but slightly envious post! but it sounds like a really grand plan!

Suzon
Herd Member

Postby Suzon » Wed Jan 13, 2016 5:11 pm

No help at all. Just jealous all around!

Fatcat
Herd Member

Postby Fatcat » Wed Jan 13, 2016 5:58 pm

We've been twice and loved it! Re: places to stay, we stayed at the Silver Wolf log chalets once, very nice: http://Www.silverwolfchalets.com

Another vacation we visited this lodge and wished we stayed at Many Glacier Lodge, an historic 100 year old lodge on the east side of the park.

Do make time to visit the Canadian side of the park, Waterton Lakes NP. Very underused park, and a stunning hotel we stayed in there is the Prince of Wales Hotel. Another beautiful historic hotel perched on a cliff overlooking the lake. Take the boat ride on the lake out to the many islands.

We did a few guided trail rides, loved it and you'll see the unexplored places that most folks can't get too. The outfitters had nice horses, well cared fore and well trained. Saw some bear and the horses were unfazed. Also rented a canoe and rowed out on one of the many lakes. Then just hiking the rest.

We drove once and flew into Spokane and rented a car the second time. You can fly into Spokane Wa or kalispell MT.

We got snowed on big time in June once. We were trying to get back across the park to fly home and they closed the only road going east to west, the Going To The Sun Road. We ended up having to skirt around the bottom edge of the park during a howling snowstorm. The wind was so strong it was peeling the door and window trim off our rental car! :shock: I'd say travel in July or August to ensure good weather.

Enjoy! And give yourself lots of time, you'll need it!

Canyon
500 post plus club

Postby Canyon » Wed Jan 13, 2016 6:13 pm

I need to visit my cousin who lives outside of Kalispell. I would time my trip to coincide with The Event at Rebecca Farm (3-Star).

Racetrackreject
500 post plus club

Postby Racetrackreject » Wed Jan 13, 2016 6:56 pm

Fatcat wrote:We've been twice and loved it! Re: places to stay, we stayed at the Silver Wolf log chalets once, very nice: http://Www.silverwolfchalets.com

Another vacation we visited this lodge and wished we stayed at Many Glacier Lodge, an historic 100 year old lodge on the east side of the park.

Do make time to visit the Canadian side of the park, Waterton Lakes NP. Very underused park, and a stunning hotel we stayed in there is the Prince of Wales Hotel. Another beautiful historic hotel perched on a cliff overlooking the lake. Take the boat ride on the lake out to the many islands.

We did a few guided trail rides, loved it and you'll see the unexplored places that most folks can't get too. The outfitters had nice horses, well cared fore and well trained. Saw some bear and the horses were unfazed. Also rented a canoe and rowed out on one of the many lakes. Then just hiking the rest.

We drove once and flew into Spokane and rented a car the second time. You can fly into Spokane Wa or kalispell MT.

We got snowed on big time in June once. We were trying to get back across the park to fly home and they closed the only road going east to west, the Going To The Sun Road. We ended up having to skirt around the bottom edge of the park during a howling snowstorm. The wind was so strong it was peeling the door and window trim off our rental car! :shock: I'd say travel in July or August to ensure good weather.

Enjoy! And give yourself lots of time, you'll need it!

Oh, this is great information!! We tend to stay at small cabins when we head to parks, but maybe we could do some lodges this time. For Yellowstone, we stayed in Island Park at some cabins on the Snake River. They were pretty nice and fairly convenient since everything in West Yellowstone was expensive and booked.

I wanted to go earlier in the year, but I hadn't thought about the majority of the access roads in the parks being closed until May. I guess we will have to do June or later due to that. We did Yellowstone in July and it wasn't bad at all. There weren't too many people and the bugs weren't terrible either. Snow would be awful for me, I'm so not built for cold weather..lol.

I hadn't thought about the whole Canadian side thing either! Silly question, but do I need to bring my passport to get into Canada, eh? lol

The SO wants to do the canoe thing which is fine with me. As long as I get to take photos, I'm good.

Technically, I could fly into Idaho Falls since that is close to SO and we could drive up, but I don't really want to waste all of that time driving.

I would love to do The Event, but SO is not very horsey, even though his mother had horses, so I'm not sure he would enjoy it.

Thanks for the tips!! Feel free to add more or link to photos from your trips.

Fatcat
Herd Member

Postby Fatcat » Wed Jan 13, 2016 7:17 pm

Yes, you'd need your passport. We didn't when we went, but that was over 15 years ago. :)

Here's some snaps from our vacation, this was before we had a digital camera so please excuse the quality.

13-redrockcanyonwaterton.jpg
13-redrockcanyonwaterton.jpg (56.81 KiB) Viewed 21696 times
8-manyglacier.jpg
8-manyglacier.jpg (33.58 KiB) Viewed 21696 times
11-dudes.jpg
11-dudes.jpg (72.91 KiB) Viewed 21696 times
Last edited by Fatcat on Wed Jan 13, 2016 7:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Fatcat
Herd Member

Postby Fatcat » Wed Jan 13, 2016 7:19 pm

Here's some more pics:
loganpass.jpg
loganpass.jpg (29.02 KiB) Viewed 21695 times
sunpoint.jpg
sunpoint.jpg (32.57 KiB) Viewed 21695 times
redrockfallsglacier.jpg
redrockfallsglacier.jpg (35.84 KiB) Viewed 21695 times

Fatcat
Herd Member

Postby Fatcat » Wed Jan 13, 2016 7:21 pm

and one last one (it'll only let me post 3 at a time)...
swiftcurrentlake.jpg
swiftcurrentlake.jpg (15.34 KiB) Viewed 21695 times

WheresMyWhite
500 post plus club

Postby WheresMyWhite » Wed Jan 13, 2016 8:02 pm

What Suzon said! Haven't been and very jealous!! :D - need someone to carry your camera equipment? ;)

Racetrackreject
500 post plus club

Postby Racetrackreject » Wed Jan 13, 2016 8:18 pm

OH, I love the photos!! I'm so glad that you posted them. Every time I googled for photos of GNP, you could tell that all of the photos were taken of the same range around the same lake. I kept thinking to myself that surely there was more to photograph than that!

WMW- I think I may need someone..lol. I've been looking at wide angle lenses to rent or buy, I may buy a wide angle since I could use it pretty often, then rent something big for wildlife. I'm not sure yet..lol.

orono
Herd Member

Postby orono » Wed Jan 13, 2016 11:20 pm

Are you thinking summer or winter? There's great skiing in the area.

WheresMyWhite
500 post plus club

Postby WheresMyWhite » Wed Jan 13, 2016 11:28 pm

Rental can be your friend for fancy lenses you know you wouldn't use often enough to justify the $$ :)

I rented the 58mm f1.4 before I bought it and was glad I had a chance to mess with it before spending the $$ on it... :)

And borrowlenses.com was super easy to deal with.

orono
Herd Member

Postby orono » Thu Jan 14, 2016 12:14 am

Agree about coming across to Canada. Take the 'going to the sun road', and head straight to waterton. You'll be able to go on mountain trail rides, hike, canoe, golf, TONS of wildlife in the area and a wonderful small town. Comfortable but not glitzy, fun places to eat and a beautiful lake. Really unbeatable. Very scenic golf course too if either of you are golfers. :)

Racetrackreject
500 post plus club

Postby Racetrackreject » Thu Jan 14, 2016 2:52 pm

orono wrote:Are you thinking summer or winter? There's great skiing in the area.

I'm thinking summer because I don't really "do" cold weather.

We will definitely have to do the Canadian side of the park. You had me at TONS of wildlife..lol.

Yes WMW, I'm thinking of renting the 150-600mm to take with me. If the light is not great, I will have my 70-200 2.8 and both an fx and crop body to make do with.

Josette

Postby Josette » Fri Jan 15, 2016 1:57 am

This looks like an AWESOME trip you have planned! Never been but will add to our bucket list. I admit the comments and photos of bears is a negative for me - saw recommendation to carry bear spray while hiking. Sounds like a guided hike with a ranger would be good. This Sun Road looks incredible from these photos.

http://www.tripadvisor.com/Attraction_R ... ntana.html

viscountessleftfield
Herd Member

Postby viscountessleftfield » Fri Jan 15, 2016 2:11 am

I love my 28mm 2.8 and paid $100 for it used.

On the other hand, I don't like my 18mm 3.5 Quantary and would part with it for $60 if you want it.

I also have a 35mm 2.0 manual and a 19-35 Promaster.

Yeah, I'm a lens hoarder.

bailey
Herd Member

Postby bailey » Fri Jan 15, 2016 3:27 am

I took a road trip from Seattle to Kalispell and spent one day at the event at Rebecca Farm before visiting my brother. It was awesome at the event, beautiful horses, talented riders, fun spectator crowd. The area is amazing, flathead lake is so clear you can see the bottom in 10 feet deep water. There was a forest fire, and GP was closed, so no park for me. I stayed in a hotel in Kalispell, but there were a lot of rentals available, depending on what you'd like ie cabins, B&B or other. I'd like to go again and rent a place, maybe VRBO type condo or cabin. I have got to figure out how to post pics, I'd love to show you the flathead lake pics and the pictures from Rebecca farm, which is a gorgeous equestrian property with beautiful gardens and small lakes. I also saw several moose which to my surprise were are large as my gelding!
I hope you have fun planning and have a wonderful trip! Wish I was going with you.....

The calmer I am, the stronger I am.

Racetrackreject
500 post plus club

Postby Racetrackreject » Fri Jan 15, 2016 4:16 pm

viscountessleftfield wrote:I love my 28mm 2.8 and paid $100 for it used.

On the other hand, I don't like my 18mm 3.5 Quantary and would part with it for $60 if you want it.

What do you not like about the 18mm, if you don't mind me asking? Definitely interested

SO is being difficult about going to Canada. He said that all of his friends said that everyone will tell you to go to Canada, but that it's no different so don't bother. I was feeling a bit grumpy so I told him that was fine because I could just go without him..lol.

Oh yes, please post photos bailey! If you have them on flickr or something like that, you can just link them.

Josette- I'm petrified of bears, but that's part of what makes me want to see them..lol.

Fatcat
Herd Member

Postby Fatcat » Fri Jan 15, 2016 4:22 pm

Racetrackreject wrote:
viscountessleftfield wrote:I love my 28mm 2.8 and paid $100 for it used.

What do you not like about the 18mm, if you don't mind me asking? Definitely interested

SO is being difficult about going to Canada. He said that all of his friends said that everyone will tell you to go to Canada, but that it's no different so don't bother. I was feeling a bit grumpy so I told him that was fine because I could just go without him..lol.

Oh yes, please post photos bailey! If you have them on flickr or something like that, you can just link them.

Josette- I'm petrified of bears, but that's part of what makes me want to see them..lol.

Yes, go without him ;)

Waterton NP and the Prince of Wales hotel was the highlight of our trip!

If this pic doesn't sell it, nothing will (not my pic):
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (43.59 KiB) Viewed 21598 times

image.jpeg
image.jpeg (87.62 KiB) Viewed 21597 times

image.jpeg
image.jpeg (116.75 KiB) Viewed 21597 times

Josette

Postby Josette » Fri Jan 15, 2016 4:55 pm

Yikes - that last photo sold me!! Showing to DH and will be an easy arm twist LOL! Thanks so much for posting these photos! Oh my - they are stunningly beautiful!

WheresMyWhite
500 post plus club

Postby WheresMyWhite » Fri Jan 15, 2016 6:16 pm

RTR, I agree... leave your SO and bring me instead :D

I'll bring the 58mm and the 80-400 so we can share :mrgreen: :lol:

Racetrackreject
500 post plus club

Postby Racetrackreject » Fri Jan 15, 2016 8:22 pm

WheresMyWhite wrote:RTR, I agree... leave your SO and bring me instead :D

I'll bring the 58mm and the 80-400 so we can share :mrgreen: :lol:

Oh, that's tempting! lol Actually, SO just relented and is getting his passport so that we can go across to the land of Eh?. I told him that he could just get the passcard since weren't flying into Canada and I think that clinched it for him. Well, that and he was pretty sure that I was serious that I would go without him..lol.

VLF, if you want to send a paypal invoice for the lens and shipping to me, I'll just go ahead and buy it. piplingrl(at)hotmail.com is my ppal addy

WheresMyWhite
500 post plus club

Postby WheresMyWhite » Fri Jan 15, 2016 8:48 pm

Rats, and I was already starting to pack :D

Racetrackreject
500 post plus club

Postby Racetrackreject » Mon Jan 18, 2016 5:08 pm

WheresMyWhite wrote:Rats, and I was already starting to pack :D

LOL! You and I could head out for photos before he even got out of bed. He would never even know! :lol:

WheresMyWhite
500 post plus club

Postby WheresMyWhite » Mon Jan 18, 2016 7:02 pm

:lol: and I don't each much ;)

And for photos, yes, I can get up early!!!

For animals - early and late are so much better - as well as softer light...

When you going again? For overall softer light, the closer to winter solstice where the sun is lowest in the sky is also a help :)

Racetrackreject
500 post plus club

Postby Racetrackreject » Mon Jan 18, 2016 7:16 pm

I think I survive on beef jerky and water the whole time we are out in the parks. I will have lost 10 lbs by the time we come back. =P

It's looking like July, so bright light..lol. I'll have to make sure I pack some polarized filters for the lenses. I used them in Yellowstone around the same time we will be at Glacier and they worked out pretty well, considering the light.

I can never figure out what time it is up there. The sun just starts to go down at like 9-10pm and we head back to the room at that time, then my internal alarm clock has me up at 5am. By day 5 I look like the walking dead.

Random thought, but I guess it's ok to drive a rental car across the border?

WheresMyWhite
500 post plus club

Postby WheresMyWhite » Mon Jan 18, 2016 8:26 pm

FWIW, and yes I have an iPhone, but there is an app that I have installed Sunrise & Set (Lite). I *think* you can change the location but by default it uses your current location but displays sunrise and set times including begin/end civil twilight and solar noon. You can also change the date.

Pretty cool app if you ask me ;)

I also have an altimeter app - although altimeter off GPS is not as accurate as the "flat" location.

orono
Herd Member

Postby orono » Tue Jan 19, 2016 12:00 am

Btw, the Prince of Wales hotel is beautiful from the outside, but in dire need of updating (as in horribly run down, not quaint and charming), it's a little ways out of the town, I would stay in the townsite, and visit the hotel and grounds. I think they offer a decent afternoon tea (with a fabulous view), but you have to pre-book.

Fatcat
Herd Member

Postby Fatcat » Tue Jan 19, 2016 12:16 am

orono wrote:Btw, the Prince of Wales hotel is beautiful from the outside, but in dire need of updating (as in horribly run down, not quaint and charming), it's a little ways out of the town, I would stay in the townsite, and visit the hotel and grounds. I think they offer a decent afternoon tea (with a fabulous view), but you have to pre-book.

How recent was your visit? We were there in 1999 and 2000 and it was very nice!

viscountessleftfield
Herd Member

Postby viscountessleftfield » Tue Jan 19, 2016 7:14 pm

PM me your email and I'll send over an invoice and ship the lens tomorrow!

Racetrackreject
500 post plus club

Postby Racetrackreject » Tue Jan 19, 2016 7:54 pm

Sent! Thanks!

orono
Herd Member

Postby orono » Tue Jan 19, 2016 10:49 pm

Fatcat, i was there this summer and fall!

Racetrackreject
500 post plus club

Postby Racetrackreject » Fri Jan 22, 2016 1:57 pm

orono wrote:Fatcat, i was there this summer and fall!

Were there any cabin type places that you would recommend? We aren't really big hotel or resort people, we just need a place to shower and sleep because other than that, we won't spend any time there. I would love to get photos of the hotel and area though, so we might just do a stop by for that.

Our cabin at Yellowstone had electric and hot water, but no a/c or anything like that and it worked fine for us. It did have a refrigerator which was nice, but not something we had to have. We bought ice every day anyway for our cooler.

What were you guys "must see" places?

VLF- I didn't receive your invoice. Not sure if something glitched or what, but can you try again please? Sorry!

orono
Herd Member

Postby orono » Sat Jan 23, 2016 4:17 pm

We normally camp, but have also stayed at the waterton lakes lodge,very basic chalet style buildings (a few units per). This site has listings for all of the accom- it is a very small village, so there aren't many choices. None would be considered luxurious, but anything in the townsite has a great location.

http://mywaterton.ca/stay/watd55275f4ff05ee241

As for must sees, the boat ride to the US is fun, you are likely to see a lot of bears (black & grizzly) on the road to red rock canyon, cameron lake is stunning (have to drive from town) and has lots of hiking options. If you are more adventurous, check out the Crypt Lake Hike, you take the boat to a drop off point, have to crawl through a rock tunnel and then walk along ledges while holding onto a cable tied into the rock wall. I haven't one this because a) I'm a chicken and b) we have young kids. But people who have been on it say it is absolutely unforgettable. Takes all day and the boat will pick you up around 5. As for hikes, there are many, ranging from 20 mins to overnight, so you'll have lots of choices. There is a riding stable for trail rides, they head up the mountains and have breathtaking scenery. The golf course is also set right in the mountains and has spectacular views (and occasional bears). Most of the restaurants are great, and you don't want to miss walking/hanging out along the lakeshore. If you like waterfalls, Cameron falls (north end of the town) are a great spot, especially early in the morning before they are swarmed for photos lol. Bertha Falls are accessible by hiking trail, I think they are only a mile or so from the start point, but lots of vertical gain.

Let me see what else I can come up with! How long would you be planning to stay in the area?

P.S. I found a blog post describing the Crypt Lake Hike.. http://hikingwithbarry.com/2011/08/14/c ... ng-alberta

MidgetMustang
Greenie

Postby MidgetMustang » Mon Jan 25, 2016 6:29 am

I live in Missoula so I thought I'd chime in. Keep in mind that we have a WICKED fire season-and we haven't gotten much moisture this winter so next summer has the potential to be nasty. The later parts of the summer are always worse than June/early July. The drive up from Missoula is pretty gorgeous so you might think about flying in here...fares might also be cheaper since it's a (slightly) bigger airport.
I HIGHLY recommend arranging your trip to coincide with The Event. Many non-horsey folks come to watch, especially on Cross Country day. Rebecca Farm is simply stunning. I go every year :)

Racetrackreject
500 post plus club

Postby Racetrackreject » Mon Jan 25, 2016 1:56 pm

orono wrote:We normally camp, but have also stayed at the waterton lakes lodge,very basic chalet style buildings (a few units per). This site has listings for all of the accom- it is a very small village, so there aren't many choices. None would be considered luxurious, but anything in the townsite has a great location.

http://mywaterton.ca/stay/watd55275f4ff05ee241

As for must sees, the boat ride to the US is fun, you are likely to see a lot of bears (black & grizzly) on the road to red rock canyon, cameron lake is stunning (have to drive from town) and has lots of hiking options. If you are more adventurous, check out the Crypt Lake Hike, you take the boat to a drop off point, have to crawl through a rock tunnel and then walk along ledges while holding onto a cable tied into the rock wall. I haven't one this because a) I'm a chicken and b) we have young kids. But people who have been on it say it is absolutely unforgettable. Takes all day and the boat will pick you up around 5. As for hikes, there are many, ranging from 20 mins to overnight, so you'll have lots of choices. There is a riding stable for trail rides, they head up the mountains and have breathtaking scenery. The golf course is also set right in the mountains and has spectacular views (and occasional bears). Most of the restaurants are great, and you don't want to miss walking/hanging out along the lakeshore. If you like waterfalls, Cameron falls (north end of the town) are a great spot, especially early in the morning before they are swarmed for photos lol. Bertha Falls are accessible by hiking trail, I think they are only a mile or so from the start point, but lots of vertical gain.

Let me see what else I can come up with! How long would you be planning to stay in the area?

P.S. I found a blog post describing the Crypt Lake Hike.. http://hikingwithbarry.com/2011/08/14/c ... ng-alberta

Oh, thanks so much!

We tried to flesh a few details out last night. It looks I'm going to be flying into the SLC or Idaho Falls on a Thursday, driving up to Whitefish/Kalispell area on Saturday, then driving back on the next Friday to fly back on Saturday, possibly Sunday if I can get an early am flight. The SO wants me to spend a day (the first Friday) at his house and visit his mother. The live in Inkom, Idaho, so Idaho Falls is closer, but SLC is much cheaper.
If I can work things out at work, I may not fly back until the following Monday and give us another day or so in MT.

Racetrackreject
500 post plus club

Postby Racetrackreject » Mon Jan 25, 2016 1:57 pm

MidgetMustang wrote:I live in Missoula so I thought I'd chime in. Keep in mind that we have a WICKED fire season-and we haven't gotten much moisture this winter so next summer has the potential to be nasty. The later parts of the summer are always worse than June/early July. The drive up from Missoula is pretty gorgeous so you might think about flying in here...fares might also be cheaper since it's a (slightly) bigger airport.
I HIGHLY recommend arranging your trip to coincide with The Event. Many non-horsey folks come to watch, especially on Cross Country day. Rebecca Farm is simply stunning. I go every year :)

I was thinking Julyish, but SO wanted September. I mentioned The Event and he said that we could do July instead if I wanted to go there too. It's later in July though.

Thanks!!

MidgetMustang
Greenie

Postby MidgetMustang » Tue Jan 26, 2016 11:57 pm

Racetrackreject wrote:
MidgetMustang wrote:I live in Missoula so I thought I'd chime in. Keep in mind that we have a WICKED fire season-and we haven't gotten much moisture this winter so next summer has the potential to be nasty. The later parts of the summer are always worse than June/early July. The drive up from Missoula is pretty gorgeous so you might think about flying in here...fares might also be cheaper since it's a (slightly) bigger airport.

I was thinking Julyish, but SO wanted September. I mentioned The Event and he said that we could do July instead if I wanted to go there too. It's later in July though.

Thanks!!

September is often full of smoke-most of August and September are always smokey...like really, REALLY smokey. As in you cant go outside without a mask/respirator

orono
Herd Member

Postby orono » Wed Jan 27, 2016 2:54 pm

Waterton was like that in late summer as well this year...but isn't normal for the area. We cancelled a trip there because of it. :/

Racetrackreject
500 post plus club

Postby Racetrackreject » Mon Mar 14, 2016 1:41 pm

Trip planning has been fun, and we just have a few more things to put together. We've decided to stay most of the time at little cabin about 20 minutes from Glacier with a few other options added in. I'm so excited about this cabin! When we first saw it, we both freaked out and wanted to live there (in warm months for me). lol.

I've ordered a new camera, and bought a new lens, with plans to rent a bigger lens for the trip. We are going to go to XC at the Event at Rebecca Farm while there too. So exciting!! Come on July!

This is the cabin:

Return to “The Observation Lounge/ Cookbook Forum even Hot Topics”