Meat carving etiquette

Koolkat
500 post plus club

Meat carving etiquette

Postby Koolkat » Thu Jan 21, 2016 6:30 am

We are have some long time friends (that we seldom get to see anymore) over for dinner this weekend. They are decidedly "meat and potato" types and I was going to fix chicken picante for dinner. When my husband and I eat this, we cut the breasts in half as an entire breast would be way too much meat for one meal. Is it appropriate to cut the breast in half before or after cooking for serving? For some reason, my good manner instinct is a little queasy about this.

silk
500 post plus club

Re: Meat carving etiquette

Postby silk » Thu Jan 21, 2016 6:34 am

what about cooking the breasts whole, then slicing in half to serve, but allowing them to choose whether they want a half or a whole? If you prepare enough for them to each have a whole breast, and they only have a half, then you have leftovers for the next night's dinner.

FlyingLily
Novice

Postby FlyingLily » Thu Jan 21, 2016 12:14 pm

I really appreciate it when food is served in smaller pieces - like half a baked potato, small pieces of steak etc. When you get served a giant portion and can't eat it all, that's awkward.

So my vote is go ahead and cut them in half.

M&M
Herd Member

Postby M&M » Thu Jan 21, 2016 2:20 pm

I understand what Flying Lily is saying, and I completely agree with Silk. My sister is an amazing cook, but she serves the tiniest portions. I always eat something when I get home from having dinner at her house. (And she's significantly overweight, by the way, so something's happening when I'm not looking!)

bascar
Herd Member

Postby bascar » Thu Jan 21, 2016 2:28 pm

Before cooking and into thirds. No one will feel either greedy or hungry if they have two and then the option is also there for "oh this is so delicious, I simply can't resist"

KathyK
Bringing Life to the DDBB

Postby KathyK » Fri Jan 22, 2016 1:50 pm

I'm not sure whether we are we talking about chicken breasts, or chicken breast halves.

Koolkat
500 post plus club

Postby Koolkat » Fri Jan 22, 2016 6:21 pm

Halves, Kathy, I was going to prepare 3 for 4 people. Three fills the pan (although I could look for smaller, too).

Chisamba
Bringing Life to the DDBB

Postby Chisamba » Sat Jan 23, 2016 3:56 pm

I think it depends totally on what you are preparing with the chicken. if you have plenty of sides and veggies, then a small protein portion is okay. For me, half of a chicken breast halve is a very small portion, even when cooking for the group home, where some individuals are on diet, and we have to measure food quantities and count fat and calories, a complete chicken breast halve is considered one portion. jmho

Rhianon
Herd Member

Postby Rhianon » Sat Jan 23, 2016 4:58 pm

DH and I are small eaters compared to everyone I know. I always cook double what we would eat. But in case I'm guessing wrong or they hate it, I serve in small portions or self-serve on the table. I heavily encourage folks to take seconds and thirds, which my DH routinely does so everybody is happy.

Return to “The Observation Lounge/ Cookbook Forum even Hot Topics”