OK, I finally read Outlander ...

Woost2
Herd Member

OK, I finally read Outlander ...

Postby Woost2 » Mon Jan 25, 2016 11:17 pm

do I need to read the rest? The next one is 900 pages of Scots political history (per bad reviews) which sounds a bit daunting.

Quelah
Herd Member

Re: OK, I finally read Outlander ...

Postby Quelah » Mon Jan 25, 2016 11:36 pm

Well I listen to them on audio, the narrator is brilliant, and I've listened to several of them multiple times. I did read Outlander in its entirety one long hot weekend when it first came out though. I would say if you're not feeling driven to read the next after reading the first, it might not be for you. I don't find them overly done in political history, and generally think of them as pretty light, like I can mentally multitask while listening, but then I was a History major :lol:

Astral
Herd Member

Postby Astral » Tue Jan 26, 2016 12:13 am

Well, I almost put it down after the first one. It was engaging enough, but I really wasn't as sold on it as I felt like I was supposed to be.

I'm glad I kept going - the series definitely has its ups and downs, but I ended up enjoying the second and third books more than the first (admittedly, 900 pages of 18th century political history sounds like something I would pick up to read anyhow :lol:).

So... it's up to you, but if you liked the first one, it might be worth giving the second one a go. Plus, if you're watching the show, it might help for the next season to read the second book - you know, so you can be appropriately critical of the things that they decide to change :lol:

Rhianon
Herd Member

Postby Rhianon » Tue Jan 26, 2016 1:32 am

Well, I never got the big deal about this series. And I'll stick it out through most historical fiction.

emmalou
Novice

Postby emmalou » Tue Jan 26, 2016 3:59 am

The second book is my favorite of the series.

Josette
Bringing Life to the DDBB

Postby Josette » Tue Jan 26, 2016 1:12 pm

I read Outlander so MANY years ago when it first came out. I can't recall if I read beyond the first book - - certainly not the third book.

However, I will put in a great review for this historical fiction book. It was hard to put down once I started and got into the various characters.

The Sunne In Splendour: A Novel of Richard III - by Sharon Kay Penman

http://www.amazon.com/The-Sunne-In-Sple ... 031237593X

Woost2
Herd Member

Postby Woost2 » Tue Jan 26, 2016 2:59 pm

Thanks. It has taken me several goes to get started on this one. Over several years. Partially because it's on my ipad and I just wasn't into reading on it except on an airplane. Have been struggling with reading glasses that work and just figured out ... Kindle. Adjustable type size. D'uh Problem solved.

VBOpie
Herd Member

Postby VBOpie » Tue Jan 26, 2016 4:43 pm

I had a hard time warming up to Outlander, too, despite my friends' raves. I ended up going for the audio version and loved it. Ended up going back to reading for the last couple of the series.

emmalou
Novice

Postby emmalou » Wed Jan 27, 2016 3:29 am

Josette wrote:The Sunne In Splendour: A Novel of Richard III - by Sharon Kay Penman

http://www.amazon.com/The-Sunne-In-Sple ... 031237593X

Loved this book.

digihorse
Novice

Postby digihorse » Thu Jan 28, 2016 6:53 pm

Keep going.... Where I think people fail, is they expect the story to "end" It doesn't. It is about a life long commitment of two people and those around them who shape and manipulate their lives.

IF you do go for the second book, Dragon Fly in Amber, please note: It starts off in strange place... and you may think you have the wrong book. You don't. Remember, it IS about time travel ;P

Return to “The Observation Lounge/ Cookbook Forum even Hot Topics”