Speaking of audiobooks

Woost2
Herd Member

Speaking of audiobooks

Postby Woost2 » Tue Jan 26, 2016 8:22 pm

I listen to a lot. Mostly what I get from the library. Recently got The Golden Compass by Phillip Pullman. Youth fantasy/adventure. Read by him. Authors reading their stuff can be a crapshoot but the last few have been very good. Pullman is terrific. And, most fun ever, there is a cast of thousands doing all the parts. I've never seen this done before. Two or three occasionally, but this had a huge cast.

My recent fav have been the Longmire series read by George Guidall. If you've seen the TV show, you might not know how very funny these books are, written from the first person voice of Walt. I don't know if they read funny or if it's just Guidall. I found the TV show sooooo dark, gloomy. If you watch the show, you can still listen to the books. Story lines are similar but not exact.

Quelah
Herd Member

Re: Speaking of audiobooks

Postby Quelah » Wed Jan 27, 2016 1:33 am

I love love love audiobooks. I'm here by myself a lot, I think I'd go insane were it not for audiobooks LOL!

Hoof'n it
Herd Member

Postby Hoof'n it » Wed Jan 27, 2016 10:41 am

I drive a lot, so audiobooks are a great way to travel and remain alert. You can only listen to the radio and your iPod playlist soo much.

The only thing is, that comparatively they are bloody expensive and some readers/vocalists? just completely kill to story line and get on my nerves!

Woost2
Herd Member

Postby Woost2 » Wed Jan 27, 2016 1:39 pm

Thankfully, our city library has a plentiful supply of books on CD. And an increasing inventory of digital. And the listing includes the reader. Thank god for my public library!!!

PaulaO
Bringing Life to the DDBB

Postby PaulaO » Wed Jan 27, 2016 1:58 pm

I don't drive much (a 9 mile commute to work) so I don't listen to many audiobooks. My public library has a great selection--a few weeks ago I listened to about a third of "Heart of Darkness" but it was soooooo boring. My favorite has been Z, a fictionalized bio of Zelda Fitzgerald.

PhoenixRising
500 post plus club

Postby PhoenixRising » Wed Jan 27, 2016 7:10 pm

I'm subscribed to Audible.com and get 2 books a month with their platinum membership. I have the app on my phone so I'm able to listen with headphones wile working at the barn, while filing at work, etc. The great thing about being subscribed to audible is that if you don't like it, you can return it. I've returned a few that I found I disliked the narrator or that weren't at all what I was expecting. I listen to audio books a lot, I find I much prefer books and the "This American Life" podcast over the music in my Itunes. I always look for some of the longest, unabridged books I can find so that they will hopefully last me the month. It seems I still always run out with a week or two left to go though.
Go confidently in the direction of your dreams, live the life you've imagined!

Woost2
Herd Member

Postby Woost2 » Wed Jan 27, 2016 9:13 pm

I have a book going in my car at all times. even if just going to the gro. I do often spend a bit of time sitting in the parking lot.

Have also used the Audible, get one a month, in order to save up for a long trip. Didn't know you can return them.

jeniferkey
Greenie

Postby jeniferkey » Wed Jan 27, 2016 10:25 pm

I just recently did a return with Audible. I hadn't known it was an option before. My favorites are the Jim Butcher Dresden Files series. This is a good reminder to go get another book.

Woost2
Herd Member

Postby Woost2 » Wed Jan 27, 2016 10:34 pm

I've gotten a few of those from the library.

Tulsa
Greenie

Postby Tulsa » Thu Jan 28, 2016 12:38 pm

The Dresden Files are great as audios! Those, along with the Cormoran Strike novels, are both series I would far rather listen to than read. And if I end up rereading them in book form, its always with the narrators' pacing and inflection.

A good reader makes all the difference.

Return to “The Observation Lounge/ Cookbook Forum even Hot Topics”