My new guy - Topper

jeniferkey
Greenie

My new guy - Topper

Postby jeniferkey » Wed Jan 27, 2016 11:09 pm

I finally started a web page for him. Here's a link to a recent lesson http://www.draftymanor.com/topper/160124/ He's changed from when he first arrived. It's like he has woken up. He's from the Amish and has some of the holdover worry from that. For example he'll still shy trotting past my trainer in a lesson or spook if a person standing on the ground makes a sudden move. But he's so much more comfortable with any work that I do around him while he's eating or anything that my husband does with him. The farrier saw him at day 3 and hated him. He said he didn't see how anyone could ever put a saddle on him or even catch him (I had already ridden him at that point and could easily catch him). Topper just didn't trust the farrier and was not easy. The second time the farrier said it was like he was a different horse and this last time there was absolutely nothing he could complain about. I did do a lot of work handling his feet, but he's also relaxed and gotten more trusting.

But, with having woken up he's so much more pony like now under saddle. Testing if I'm in charge over and over by trying to leave the arena or pulling toward the gate when he's ready to be done. He's hotter than my other guys, so I'm very careful to not start any fights with him. I have occasionally reprimanded if he does something that could be considered unsafe, but otherwise I try to point him toward the right choice instead of using discipline so much. It's very different than Miaren who wouldn't take a hint if it hit him over the head. In exciting situations he's shown that he can do a bit of broncing. It doesn't feel like he's trying to get rid of me, more like he's trying to play as a part of the excitement, like a loose horse in a field. Again, I don't think going to major discipline will help, so I do a lot of yelling and redirecting and try to distract some by asking him to do stuff he knows how to do like flexing and leg yields.

If Miaren did this crap I'm not sure I'd continue riding him. This guy is so little it make me feel like I'm a kid again riding my naughty pony. Here are some pictures schooling him.

I love how he bounces through the cavaletti with no feet touching the ground.

Playing around at home.

Anytime he does good he makes me smile.

He's really picking up the idea of jumping.

Josette
Bringing Life to the DDBB

Re: My new guy - Topper

Postby Josette » Wed Jan 27, 2016 11:54 pm

Huge fan of your new guy! I really liked him when you first posted about him -- now I like him even more!! He is obviously very smart and has bonded with you. You both are having so much fun! Enjoy him!

TeresaA
Herd Member

Postby TeresaA » Thu Jan 28, 2016 12:24 am

I love him- what a fun guy he looks to be.

demi

Postby demi » Thu Jan 28, 2016 1:09 am

T hanks for sharing Topper with us! Great story so far, and I look forward to lots of updates. You make an attractive pair.

stella
Novice

Postby stella » Thu Jan 28, 2016 2:01 am

That's one lovely horse. He really looks like a thinker.

Sunshine2Me
Herd Member

Postby Sunshine2Me » Thu Jan 28, 2016 2:32 am

Look at those knees while jumping!! (Him, not you!) ;-)

He's lovely!

M&M
Herd Member

Postby M&M » Thu Jan 28, 2016 3:21 am

He's great! What is he?

jeniferkey
Greenie

Postby jeniferkey » Thu Jan 28, 2016 4:49 am

He's a 6 yr old Morgan/Haflinger cross. He's not as confident in himself as Miaren, but he's braver. It's a strange contrast. Where Miaren might run away from something Topper walks up and sniffs it. Especially if food is involved. But you can wave your arms at Miaren all day long and clap and push him away and he'll stay right next to you. Topper's gone at the wave of a hand or a clap or a push. And I just recently got back on Miaren after his break. He's moving nicely and so far no stumbling at all. But what a different feel. He feels relaxed, even though when I thought trot we were off. Topper can be standing and I know he won't move, but he feels alert, even at home. Miaren at home, even after months off felt blasé. That changes for cross country, but Topper is reminding me of the rider I used to be. More tactful and balanced and softer. I wonder what Miaren wil lthink when I'm back on him.

StraightForward

Postby StraightForward » Thu Jan 28, 2016 2:18 pm

He's adorable and you're obviously having a blast with him. Thanks for sharing the pics!
Keep calm and canter on.

bascar
Herd Member

Postby bascar » Thu Jan 28, 2016 2:21 pm

Big smile says it all :D

piedmontfields

Postby piedmontfields » Thu Jan 28, 2016 3:33 pm

Nice jumping form! Love the smiles and update. I have a brave, sensitive hot horse that I adore---enjoy yours.

Tuddy
500 post plus club

Postby Tuddy » Thu Jan 28, 2016 4:07 pm

My goodness, what a looker! (He reminds me of my Tuddy, they could be twins!)

quinta
Herd Member

Postby quinta » Thu Jan 28, 2016 5:04 pm

OMG, I love him! What a cutie. Sounds like he is going to just be more and more fun as his comfort level increases. Keep us posted!

jeniferkey
Greenie

Postby jeniferkey » Thu Jan 28, 2016 5:50 pm

He does look a lot like your Tuddy. I'm guessing my guy is a bit smaller but they have a similar look.

boots-aregard
Herd Member

Postby boots-aregard » Thu Jan 28, 2016 6:14 pm

Jealous!

MissDee
Greenie

Postby MissDee » Thu Jan 28, 2016 6:21 pm

He's adorable!! Congratulations on the progress.

fergusnc
500 post plus club

Postby fergusnc » Sat Jan 30, 2016 1:00 pm

Holy crap that is a lot of cuteness! I cannot even imagine looking at him and thinking other than wonderful thoughts.

KathyK

Postby KathyK » Sat Jan 30, 2016 1:24 pm

Love him!

ProudHorse
Greenie

Postby ProudHorse » Sun Jan 31, 2016 6:05 am

I love your taste in horses and this one is just beautiful.
Compassion is not a four letter word.

Saddlebum
Herd Member

Postby Saddlebum » Mon Feb 01, 2016 2:39 am

He's beautiful and only 6, wow, he's just a baby yet. Have fun throughout this journey!

periastra
Novice

Postby periastra » Wed Feb 03, 2016 11:05 pm

Drooling over him. He is just the sort I love. Fantastic bascule and knees over that fence. I'm very jealous.

Paints
Herd Member

Postby Paints » Thu Feb 04, 2016 5:59 pm

What a kind face! (his LOL). And really versatile. I like him going through the caveletti - he looks so relaxed.

Racetrackreject
500 post plus club

Postby Racetrackreject » Thu Feb 04, 2016 10:08 pm

What a cute jump on that little guy! Love him!

klark_kent07
Novice

Postby klark_kent07 » Fri Feb 12, 2016 12:17 am

He's adorable! He looks like a cheeky little kid to me :)

martha sc
Novice

Postby martha sc » Wed Feb 24, 2016 7:51 pm

question, I'm catch riding something that size . Where do you put your lower leg? I end up either reaching back or twisting my knees until they hurt trying to make contact. Any suggestions? He is CUTE! I enjoy that personality, I rode one that always checked to see who was driving EVERY time I got on, but he was balanced and lots of fun.

Josette

Postby Josette » Wed Feb 24, 2016 8:59 pm

Martha - My guy is like Topper and I'm 5'2" so perfect fit for me. However, my trainer is taller about 5'6"ish with SUPER long legs. She is one of those very elegant lean body types - I swear her inseam is a 34". Anyway, she sits very erect with her legs hanging naturally at his sides during all gaits. The only time she really has to move is when she brushes her leg back for canter - - and then when he improves on aides she is able to get him off her seat aides with minimal/no back leg movement. Schooling lateral work she does have to put her leg back but then always returns it to "home". Her leg movement is never extreme and her upper body is always erect with perfect posture and position. Watching her has really helped me fix my posture. Hope this makes sense. I like to think of those elegant SRS riders who are quite tall riding the smaller round body Lipizzans. The riders legs are long and they maintain a perfect beautiful position with minimal body changes for aides/transitions. So think of that image when riding these smaller horses. :)

martha sc
Novice

Postby martha sc » Fri Feb 26, 2016 8:21 pm

I have trouble keeping my lower leg quiet when there is no horse down there to lay it on.

jeniferkey
Greenie

Postby jeniferkey » Tue Mar 01, 2016 2:37 am

In the dressage saddle I push my heels down every stride and my legs stay long that way. I do have my stirrups a little shorter than usual to have horse to put my leg on. I guess he's pretty well sprung because I don't have trouble keeping my leg on. I've ridden a lot of ponies where my lower leg did swing and I worked to not need my lower leg so much since they would become responsive to my upper leg and body.
These pictures are in my jumping saddle and I have more trouble with that. I've been fox hunting in my dressage saddle because I can stay right with him and keep my leg on. I'm testing jumping saddles and the next saddle I want to shorten the stirrups more. It has better knee rolls and I want to see if i can stay with him with my legs shorter.
I am getting a stronger core staying more upright and still. He's also reminding me of the rider I used to be. More and more confident that I can handle his silliness. He's coming out of his shell and I've had to ride a bolt and bronc and spooks and tantrums out hunting. He doesn't have Miaren's power and he reminds me of all the ponies I rode as a kid. It's tiring, but fun.

jeniferkey
Greenie

Postby jeniferkey » Tue Mar 01, 2016 2:54 am

image.jpg
image.jpg (168.33 KiB) Viewed 18581 times

You can see that if my saddle doesn't have too wide a twist my leg should lie mostly against him.

image.jpg
image.jpg (177.17 KiB) Viewed 18581 times

Out with the hunt in the dressage saddle.

image.jpg
image.jpg (96.15 KiB) Viewed 18581 times

We rode out with the huntsman on her new mount one ride. Topper was really eager, but always manageable, even with hounds around and other horses sometimes cantering and trotting around.

Return to “The Observation Lounge/ Cookbook Forum even Hot Topics”