Favorite sore throat remedies

Chancellor
Site Admin

Favorite sore throat remedies

Postby Chancellor » Thu Jan 28, 2016 1:39 pm

I have been sick for more than a week. I went back to work yesterday and managed an entire day but woke up this morning coughing like crazy again. The cough is completely non-productive (and yes I have been to the doctor). Unfortunately, the cough has created a nasty nasty sore throat (this is not strep throat).
So, what are you favorite sore throat remedies? Right now, I am taking 600 mg of Ibuprofen to knock back the inflammation and that helps some. But not completely. I am sick of feeling sick!

hoopoe
Herd Member

Re: Favorite sore throat remedies

Postby hoopoe » Thu Jan 28, 2016 1:46 pm

I cannot do garggles so salty soup can help pull down inflammation.

otherwise old fashioned warm water and salt garggle can pull edema.

I went through tonsils from hell last Spring ( took about 5 months to clear) so you have my complete sympathy

angela9823
Herd Member

Postby angela9823 » Thu Jan 28, 2016 2:03 pm

Chance, if you have what has been going around here in SC, there is just nothing that works. I've been trying to get over a cold (or whatever this is) for three weeks. I don't feel bad, but have had a cough the entire time, sore throat off and on, some congestion in my head. I've taken lots of stuff, tried lots of things and everyone that has had this so far has said the same thing. I've seen two YOUNG people now that it has turned into pneumonia so take care!

demi
Bringing Life to the DDBB

Postby demi » Thu Jan 28, 2016 2:10 pm

DH has told me for years to gargle with Listerine for a sore throat. I have been affected by Texas "cedar fever" increasingly, and this year has been the worst yet. I finally did what DH told me and It worked. I hate to gargle because it's messy and I end up swallowing a bit but it's totally worth doing it to get rid of a sore throat. I think it helps not only because of the numbing affect, but it also kills the bacteria in the throat.

Hope you feel better soon.

bascar
Herd Member

Postby bascar » Thu Jan 28, 2016 2:23 pm

Squeeze the juice of a lemon into a mug. Add 3 cloves, 3 slices of ginger root, a small piece of cinnamon, and a teaspoon of local raw honey. Add boiling water and leave to steep for 10 minutes. Sip away.

Amado
Herd Member

Postby Amado » Thu Jan 28, 2016 2:41 pm

Oh my gosh, I have the same thing. It's going around work. Two weeks now, and I keep feeling like it's getting worse! Coughing wakes me up in the middle of the night. Throat is not as bad as yours. Ive always gargled with either warm water or warm tea. Ibuprofen helps too.

Josette

Postby Josette » Thu Jan 28, 2016 3:30 pm

First sign sore throat I take Emergen-C supplement in drink. High dose of Vitamin C.

Fatcat
Herd Member

Postby Fatcat » Thu Jan 28, 2016 4:57 pm

Traditional Medicinals Throat Coat tea!

Mareless
Herd Member

Postby Mareless » Thu Jan 28, 2016 5:01 pm

I have had the same thing since Christmas time. I like warm water & lemon juice, with a spoonful of honey stirred in.

I ended up going to the dr twice in less than a week earlier this month. Was coughing so badly I could not sleep. First visit, they gave me prescription cough med with codeine to help me sleep at night. Second visit (because they said if I was worse to come back, and I came down with 3 cold sores and pink eye about 48 hrs after the first visit--my immune system was definitely whacked!) they finally gave me a z-pack and some steriods to help with the lungs (by then I was very short of breath just from walking). That seems to at least have gotten me bolstered up enough that I'm slowly kicking this cough. Feeling much better now; 10 days after the meds, than I did a few weeks ago.

MissDee
Greenie

Postby MissDee » Thu Jan 28, 2016 6:17 pm

Mareless wrote: I like warm water & lemon juice, with a spoonful of honey stirred in.

This is my remedy too - plus a wee splash of bourbon if the sun is over the yardarm. :D

Chancellor
Site Admin

Postby Chancellor » Thu Jan 28, 2016 6:35 pm

Mareless wrote:I have had the same thing since Christmas time. I like warm water & lemon juice, with a spoonful of honey stirred in.

I ended up going to the dr twice in less than a week earlier this month. Was coughing so badly I could not sleep. First visit, they gave me prescription cough med with codeine to help me sleep at night. Second visit (because they said if I was worse to come back, and I came down with 3 cold sores and pink eye about 48 hrs after the first visit--my immune system was definitely whacked!) they finally gave me a z-pack and some steriods to help with the lungs (by then I was very short of breath just from walking). That seems to at least have gotten me bolstered up enough that I'm slowly kicking this cough. Feeling much better now; 10 days after the meds, than I did a few weeks ago.

I was trying to think what else the doctor could do for me...because like you, I get out of breath just walking. I feel much better right now but man, mornings are killer. After I wake up and I need to clear all the crap in my lungs. I'm exhausted by coughing so much.

Josette

Postby Josette » Thu Jan 28, 2016 6:49 pm

My uncle getting over bronchitis and our doctor recommended Mucinex.

http://www.mucinex.com/?gclid=CMmz67qWz ... lsrc=aw.ds

heddylamar

Postby heddylamar » Fri Jan 29, 2016 1:37 am

Mucinex, gargle with warm salt water, and hot toddies of whiskey, honey and lemon.

Rosie B
500 post plus club

Postby Rosie B » Fri Jan 29, 2016 12:23 pm

I am a big fan of raw honey... by the spoonful if necessary. It provides almost instant relief!

Plus raw honey is also a soporific, so if I need some help sleeping when I'm sick I like to mix raw honey, lemon juice, and hot water. It's almost as effective as neocitrine for putting you to sleep, and tastes waaaaay better.

StraightForward

Postby StraightForward » Fri Jan 29, 2016 2:34 pm

bascar wrote:Squeeze the juice of a lemon into a mug. Add 3 cloves, 3 slices of ginger root, a small piece of cinnamon, and a teaspoon of local raw honey. Add boiling water and leave to steep for 10 minutes. Sip away.

I do something like this, but let it simmer in a small pot and drink as needed. 1 large or 2 small lemons juiced, and then put the rinds in the pot. Add ginger slices and honey. Allow to simmer and add water back in as you drink it and top back up with lemon/honey as needed.
Keep calm and canter on.

myleetlepony
Herd Member

Postby myleetlepony » Fri Jan 29, 2016 3:17 pm

I was trying to think what else the doctor could do for me...because like you, I get out of breath just walking. I feel much better right now but man, mornings are killer. After I wake up and I need to clear all the crap in my lungs. I'm exhausted by coughing so much.

I do an essential oil mix of lavender, tea tree, lemon, eucalyptus and peppermint oils; add a few drops of the mix to a small simmering pot of water, or water microwaved to almost boiling and inhale the steam. It's rough, but it helps move the mucus and clear your lungs and sinuses.

Wicky
Herd Member

Postby Wicky » Fri Jan 29, 2016 5:31 pm

Ricola works pretty well (I like the lemon ones - So do the horses).

Mirabella
Greenie

Postby Mirabella » Fri Jan 29, 2016 10:27 pm

Take 800mg of Ibuprofen every 6 hours and see if that helps and doesn't bother your stomach. Most people don't take enough.

Saddlebum
Herd Member

Postby Saddlebum » Sat Jan 30, 2016 4:16 am

Colloidal Silver - BAM, gone.

zevida
Herd Member

Postby zevida » Sat Jan 30, 2016 5:53 pm

I just suck on cough drops non stop. The lemon honey flavor is not too medicinal tasting.

Return to “The Observation Lounge/ Cookbook Forum even Hot Topics”