Leather care saddle versus boots

Josette
Bringing Life to the DDBB

Leather care saddle versus boots

Postby Josette » Fri Jan 29, 2016 9:34 pm

What leather care products do you use on your saddle and boots? I'm guessing different boot care products? Best way to get the dirt grime off reins - obviously scrub but any preference. I have been buying cheap cotton wash cloths lately for cleaning tack - sponge seemed to smear dirt around.

westisbest
Herd Member

Re: Leather care saddle versus boots

Postby westisbest » Fri Jan 29, 2016 11:21 pm

I use saddle soap lightly on my saddle, it's buffalo leather. I use a cellulose sponge and really rub well to get the dirt off, it's very dry and dusty in our facility. Same with bridle, take off bit soak in plain hot water, scrub all leathers well with saddle soap. Then I lightly rub Lederbalsam in. Wipe off excess. My boats are Der-Dau they say to only wipe with damp cloth and use their conditioner which I do weekly, then give them a good paste wax polish every 3 weeks or so. That's it!

hoopoe
Herd Member

Postby hoopoe » Sat Jan 30, 2016 12:09 am

ditto

my saddle wash damp washcloth after each use and conventional saddle soap every week or so, more in the winter with mud.

boots were damp cloth after use and Kiwi boot polish as needed.

I also use overshoes if the ground is muddy, but the barn I was at had a breezeway from barn to arena so I tried to never take my horse out to his paddock wearing my best boots

boots-aregard
Herd Member

Postby boots-aregard » Sat Jan 30, 2016 2:49 am

Show boots I only used polish. Work boots I used same leather cleaner as saddles.

I'm a straight glycerin bar kind of gal, though some of the softer jar leather cleaners are easier to use. I do a big oil soak when I buy new tack, and then only about 1Xyear after that.

horsepepsi
Greenie

Postby horsepepsi » Mon Feb 01, 2016 3:28 pm

Boots I use my husband.
Saddles and stuff. .. well since Murphy's no longer makes the gel soap. I started to use castileo (sp) soap.

Return to “The Observation Lounge/ Cookbook Forum even Hot Topics”