Dear creative DDers (?)

RedMare
Greenie

Dear creative DDers (?)

Postby RedMare » Wed Oct 14, 2015 2:04 am

I want to do something creative, I am just not sure what.

My heart horse left me several years ago, I sadly couldn't afford her purchase price. Her current owner is uninterested in keeping in contact with me, which is entirely understandable. Anyways, I recently stalked down some professional photos that her current owner had taken of her and bought the electronic rights to them. The mare isn't particularly beautiful, she isn't particularly photogenic, and the photos aren't exactly striking. That being said, I am thrilled to have them. I love this mare more than I ever imagined possible.

Which leads us to the creative portion, I would love to have something really neat to display in my home. I do not just want to frame a picture and put it on the wall. I want something stunning, she deserves something stunning. I just have no idea what that would be. Of course, you folks have more creativity in your little finger than I do in my whole body. I would love for some ideas.

What I have of her's is a few shoes, her turnout halter (nothing fancy), a couple of nice photos, a very tiny bit of her tail (which I always planned to turn into jewelry, but am open to other options), a few journal pages that I wrote about my early encounters with her, and lots of memories from all of our adventures.

Last but not least, I am on a major budget. The kind of budget where one's diet consists mainly of Lean Pockets and Easy Mac.

ProudHorse
Greenie

Re: Dear creative DDers (?)

Postby ProudHorse » Wed Oct 14, 2015 2:37 am

Talk to Om. She just purchased a kiln and is making stunning pieces. She may be able to do a three dimension wall sculpture portrait of your mare. Om is also generous and works from the heart.
Compassion is not a four letter word.

Amado
Herd Member

Postby Amado » Wed Oct 14, 2015 2:50 am

Michaels makes some nice shadow boxes. It might be fun to do a sort of shadowbox scrapbook of her, a 3D sort of collage with the photos and the shoe, and the halter, or maybe even just part of the halter, an old bit, or some old dressage tests (if you have anything like that) maybe the tail braided with some beads or something.

snftrs2
Greenie

Postby snftrs2 » Wed Oct 14, 2015 3:02 am

Hmmmm, well, what about a wall display made from a wood pallet turned into a shelf system (stain/lacquer or not)? I saw one recently that I just loved, very clever. It’s rustic, kind of like a nice barn or tack room, and would give you a special place to keep and display your mare’s things. I’ve started seeing photos printed on metal or aluminum and I think they’re absolutely beautiful. Somehow the metal seems to add luster and depth. I especially like the ones with a satin finish texture… it might go well with a rustic setting.

Here’s a picture of the shelf unit. It could hung as is or turned on its side. Take a look through the whole site … these people stay awake at night thinking of things to do with pallets, lol.
http://www.1001pallets.com/2015/03/upcycled-pallet-shelving/

Here’s a link to a place that does the metal photo prints but I’m sure there are tons of places that do them. An 8x10 is $20.
http://www.bayphoto.com/wall-displays/metalprints/single-metalprints/

And I’m so sorry that you and your heart horse aren’t together  :|

Alex
Herd Member

Postby Alex » Wed Oct 14, 2015 5:53 pm

I'd consider a quilt if you can find a place to do photo transfers of your mare onto durable fabric (and if the photo transfers themselves would be durable enough for quilt use).

Don Giovanni
Novice

Postby Don Giovanni » Wed Oct 14, 2015 6:52 pm

I saw this earlier today and thought it looked nice
halter.jpg
halter.jpg (123.08 KiB) Viewed 12467 times

Here's one with a regular halter and plastic pot, but the metal bucket looks nicer imho
halter2.jpg
halter2.jpg (117.5 KiB) Viewed 12467 times

If you want to use a shoe, I liked this idea
cross.JPG
cross.JPG (10.85 KiB) Viewed 12467 times

Don Giovanni
Novice

Postby Don Giovanni » Wed Oct 14, 2015 6:53 pm

these are nice too
traditional-home-decor.jpg
traditional-home-decor.jpg (51.67 KiB) Viewed 12466 times

live laugh love horseshoes.jpg
live laugh love horseshoes.jpg (8.34 KiB) Viewed 12466 times

clanter
Herd Member

Postby clanter » Wed Oct 14, 2015 7:03 pm

Don... this is how you are supposed to hang a bucket

Don Giovanni
Novice

Postby Don Giovanni » Wed Oct 14, 2015 11:25 pm

:D :lol: :D :lol:
Good one!

Don Giovanni
Novice

Postby Don Giovanni » Wed Oct 14, 2015 11:26 pm

How?!?!?!

mzloolue
Greenie

Postby mzloolue » Thu Oct 15, 2015 12:32 am

What about transferring the photographs to needlepoint canvas?

There are instructions on how to McGyver it yourself on the internet.

And I will be poking around the barn looking for old halters soon.

clanter
Herd Member

Postby clanter » Thu Oct 15, 2015 9:22 am

Don Giovanni wrote:How?!?!?!

if question was to the mini post... never, ever figured out how the little filly did that.... there were no marks on her, we had to take bolt cutters to remove the handle... its one of those mysteries of horses

Return to “The Observation Lounge/ Cookbook Forum even Hot Topics”