Any Canadians using US netflix?

Tabby
Herd Member

Any Canadians using US netflix?

Postby Tabby » Fri Feb 12, 2016 12:57 am

Aside from the fact that they are cracking down and blocking us, I've been considering switching back to Canadian anyway. My Apple TV brings up ABC, CBS, FOX and a bunch of other networks - most of which I can't get with a subscription anyway. I was away when the new X-Files started and set my PVR but my sister in law was here and was taping a bunch of her shows so I only ended up with 1 1/2 episodes out of 4. It turns out CTV has free streaming of these but only for one week after they are released. I don't see CTV on my Apple TV because I'm on a US proxy (for the netflicks). We hardly ever watch Netflix and are actually rather disappointed with it. In any event - should I switch back to a Canadian proxy or is there any other reason to stay US? It could be harder later on to switch back so I want to make sure I don't shoot myself in the foot with this one. Thanks!

Minz
Novice

Re: Any Canadians using US netflix?

Postby Minz » Fri Feb 12, 2016 8:03 pm

I normally use Canadian Netflix, but occasionally there is something I want to watch on US Netflix. I don't use a proxy server, I just go online and get an American DSN code, watch my show or movie, and then reset it to Canadian when I am finished. I didn't know proxy servers work, so that is what I did. I will say it can be annoying to keep changing the codes, and Canadian Netflix is getting better, so I usually don't bother anymore. I share my Netflix account with my brother and his family, so I feel I am getting my money's worth. Both CTV and Global stream all of their shows, so if I am over the week, I just login with my satellite online billing info and I can see everything I want. Sorry, this probably isn't much help to you. I am guessing you don't have satellite or cable in addition to your Netflix.

Flight
Bringing Life to the DDBB

Postby Flight » Thu Feb 18, 2016 1:06 am

I gave up on the Aussie Netflix because it didn't have the main shows I was after.

Minz - get an American DSN code? I might go and google what that means :)

Minz
Novice

Postby Minz » Fri Feb 19, 2016 10:00 am

Flight wrote:I gave up on the Aussie Netflix because it didn't have the main shows I was after.

Minz - get an American DSN code? I might go and google what that means :)

Under the settings in your Apple TV box, your DNS code can be set automatically or manually. I go to a site like this
http://www.netflixfixer.com/2014/02/american-netflix-dns-codes-roundup-pt2.html
And get a code. I enter it manually and go to restart in the settings. Sometimes it takes a couple of tries to get a code that works, but I have always been able to find something. You know you have the American Netflix when you can search a show that is only available in the states. Revenge was always my check. When I want Canadian Netflix again, I go back, change the DNS setting to automatic and restart again.
The paranoid in me makes me change it back every time, but you can leave it. The free codes eventually get zapped and don't work anymore so you have to go online and find a new one. Sometimes they last months, and sometimes only days.

Flight
Bringing Life to the DDBB

Postby Flight » Fri Feb 19, 2016 10:15 pm

Cheers! Thank for that :)

Return to “The Observation Lounge/ Cookbook Forum even Hot Topics”