Good Things that Happened Today

Suzon
Herd Member

Good Things that Happened Today

Postby Suzon » Mon Feb 29, 2016 5:22 am

I always go to my internet friends when things get tough for jingles, good ideas, general commiseration. But I tend to be silent when things are going well. Hmmmm. So I'm starting a new thread. Say one good thing that happened today.

Here's my first contribution:

I was driving to the barn today and as I got off the highway, there was a flock of four domestic geese walking single-file down the middle of the road. I did convince them to get over to the side but I couldn't figure out where they belonged or stop them from relentlessly trekking down the road. As it turns out, I was in a serious hurry this morning and had to get back for an inspection in San Francisco. I debated calling animal control but figured they probably wouldn't come out on a Sunday. So I made the horrible decision to abandon them to their fate.

I thought about them all day and felt horrible that I left them. So this evening, I drove to the barn dreading that I would find at least one dead goose beside the road. Fortunately, the road was goose free. I pulled into the ranch...and who did I see pecking around the old barn? Four lost geese. They walked a minimum of a mile and a half down a busy road with barbed wire fencing down the side of the road (sp they had no choice but to follow the road). When they came to the ranch driveway, they made a great decision to turn in to safety. So we now have four lovely geese. :D

Kyra's Mom
500 post plus club

Re: Good Things that Happened Today

Postby Kyra's Mom » Mon Feb 29, 2016 6:14 am

:mrgreen: .
Lucky geese.

Susan

WheresMyWhite
500 post plus club

Postby WheresMyWhite » Mon Feb 29, 2016 2:08 pm

Very nice :)

Glad you found 4 happy geese in residence after quite a trek.

Hopefully later today I will have something to add. Getting ready to leave shortly for nosework class. This class is fun as often we take field trips to work the dogs. Last Monday was a Lowes with hides outside in the parking lot and in the garden department (totally cool, in the covered section of the garden/outdoor department was a great horned owl in the rafters who supervised the nosework activities). Today is an Ace Hardware... won't know where the hides will be until we get there and set up :) . My dog has been rocking the containers with food distractions (no hits on the brisket or donut). Today, we'll see as I'm bringing cheese and he's a cheese hound.

Sue B
Bringing Life to the DDBB

Postby Sue B » Mon Feb 29, 2016 3:33 pm

It was an absolutely gorgeous day yesterday and i finally recovered from the flu enough to be able to ride both horses. Rudy, as always, was a joy, but Sunday even Tio (the baby) was a blast to ride! So, yesterday was a wonderful day for me. :D (Made all the nicer because Saturday was my birthday but the weather was horrid, I was still in recovery mode AND my dh forgot to wish me a happy birthday! :evil: ) :lol:

kande50

Postby kande50 » Mon Feb 29, 2016 4:52 pm

I'll have to go with yesterday as it's still raining today, although I'm getting some cleaning and organizing done which is always rewarding. But yesterday was another gift day (50 degrees in February in New England) so we saddled up the mules and went for a ride. Dh is riding a relatively green mule, and she did really well so we're both happy about that. And, we saw the porcupine who lives in the culvert both on our way out and coming back. We got pretty close before she noticed us and went in the culvert, and of course, as soon as she moved my mule saw her and grew 6 inches. But then he just stared for awhile and went along, instead of wheeling around and bolting like he sometimes does.

Now that I'm slowing down (understatement) the mules are doing a lot better, because all they really want most of the time is to stand and stare until they're satisfied that whatever they're looking at isn't dangerous, and then they'll just go on without a fuss. I used to have to try to pressure them to go before they were ready, which wasn't too bright and never really worked, anyway. But it took me a long time after I retired to really buy into the idea that there really is no rush to get anywhere, or do anything.

chantal
500 post plus club

Postby chantal » Tue Mar 01, 2016 3:03 am

The new horse I'm riding is sound and I got to play with him today. He's very forward and sweet and fun and loves to have his face brushed. And, I actually rode 2 horses today. And I'm feeling better after being sick for almost a week. It was a good day!

carpevita
Herd Member

Postby carpevita » Tue Mar 01, 2016 10:25 am

I visited with Tundra and it was lovely. Almost felt like my old self for a few hours yesterday, it was good.

Josette

Postby Josette » Tue Mar 01, 2016 11:58 am

We also had beautiful weather the past 2 days and even last weekend. I think it was a first time for me to ride outdoors in February. Ice, snow and frozen ground usually made it miserable. I actually went out to the barn this morning in a hoodie sweatshirt to feed! In February - unheard of!! :)

chantal
500 post plus club

Postby chantal » Thu Mar 03, 2016 2:10 pm

A good mountain bike ride and my lungs felt clear. Only an hour, but I'll take it! I had the flu for the past week or so not what I expected, woo hoo!!

Mareless
Herd Member

Postby Mareless » Thu Mar 03, 2016 5:02 pm

I was approached about possibly leaving my job at the barn I currently work at and following the trainer and about six-seven boarding horses to a different barn she will be leasing on her own. Very flattering to the ego :lol: and has given me a lot to think about. It will be about six weeks or so before the other barn is available for her to move in, so I have time to think about it.

bailey
Herd Member

Postby bailey » Sun Mar 06, 2016 3:20 am

I've also been sick w a bad cold the last 8 days and finally feel better. Plus it was a sunny, warm day in the PNW and I rode w a friend. The icing on the cake, I got my canters outside on a straight sand path and we were able to the hold canter for 200 feet! Our personal best!

The calmer I am, the stronger I am.

exploding pony
Novice

Postby exploding pony » Mon Mar 07, 2016 10:32 pm

My list of good things is very long: my mare is doing well, my little orange gelding is starting to figure out second level and my new horse is beyond fabulous, business is very good (though exhausting), I received a huge professional award and celebrated 22nd anniversary with DH this weekend.

Lots of bad crap going on too, but I'm choosing to be excited about all the fabulous parts :)

WheresMyWhite
500 post plus club

Postby WheresMyWhite » Mon Mar 07, 2016 11:05 pm

My Border Terrier absolutely rocked his inaccessible hide in nosework class today for the first time. Sniffed up and actually put feet on the wall to tell me where it was!!! :D

Kelo
Herd Member

Postby Kelo » Tue Mar 08, 2016 2:58 pm

My baby dog decided to lay down and sleep, all on his own, during his usual reign of terror (which is basically 14 hours a day, when he's not kenneled during work hours). :lol:

He is 2 years going on 6 months old, and is typically up in everyone's business -- constantly. ("let's go! let's play! let's chew stuff! come ON!" - Baby Dog) No amounts of walking and play will settle him down for more than the time it takes to catch his breath.

We've been working on relaxation techniques. And lo and behold, without prompting, it occurred to him that maybe it would be fun to just lie down and chill for a few minutes. I felt like getting a cake and celebrating :lol:

And, yes, I took this photo just to capture the moment. :P
Attachments
IMG_2674.PNG
IMG_2674.PNG (214.76 KiB) Viewed 12253 times

PaulaO

Postby PaulaO » Tue Mar 08, 2016 5:40 pm

Going to yoga tonight for the first time in 2 weeks (travel then illness) and I am excited. My instructor just returned from a 2 week trip to India training with her teacher. Should be learning lots of cool stuff.

Paints
Herd Member

Postby Paints » Wed Mar 09, 2016 2:23 pm

On Monday got the wonderful news that my boy who reinjured his suspensory ligament 7 months ago can now trot 3 min. per day under saddle! Woohoo! We did our first trot yesterday and we both had grins from ear to ear. LOL. Too funny - I have been telling him whoa for so many months and I was asking for trot very quietly so we didn't get a big explosion - at first he didn't believe me and I had to cluck at him.

Kelo - that is one cute puppy. We had a neighbour who had a Jack Russell/ Chihuahua cross that just bounced off the walls. There was no fence between our yards and we permitted them to let her run in our yard. One of our cats was endlessly amused by her. He would be asked to be let out when she was in the yard and he would find a good spot to sit in the sun and watch her run.

WheresMyWhite
500 post plus club

Postby WheresMyWhite » Wed Mar 09, 2016 8:43 pm

Just got back from a visit to the local organic farm... scored fresh strawberries, butter lettuce, tomatoes, bread and had a salad for lunch with the lettuce, tomatoes and spring onions... yum

and...

found one that one of the people there raises heritage turkeys for Thanksgiving!!! Yay, I've sent her email to get on the list. I've never before found someone who does this so really looking forward to trying a heritage turkey!

And we haven't even got to beginner nosework class yet :)

PaulaO

Postby PaulaO » Thu Mar 10, 2016 2:35 pm

White, where are you that you already got strawberries??? I'm jealous.

Chisamba

Postby Chisamba » Thu Mar 10, 2016 9:51 pm

I have a hot headed nervous sensitive mare. Did all the usual things, exposing her to many things, patiently training, getting her to trust the aids, over and above the usual level. She still had a way of scaring me, when she scared herself. Things like running full speed into the wall of the indoor at A when a dog came in through the open door at C, ( while i was mounted) hitting and flipping over a fence when a noise startled her, ( while i was mounted) , and in general responding very rapidly and being tense much of the time.

I gave up on her, well , gave up on enjoying riding her and turned her out with the retirees. I decided it was too stressful for her, and for me, to continue with the idea of riding and training. I theorized that if riding is so fearful to her, it is similar to an unsoundness, and i would not continue to ride an unsound horse.

Well, things do change, and my hubby lost his job of 18 years, and had to find a new one, of course the new one is going to require moving and it does not look like i am going to be able to maintain my happy field of retirees. sooo, i told Deneb she was on her last chance, and brought her back to the barn to ride.

This is the GOOD THING thread, and this has been a good thing. Except for the occasional, normal kind of bolt/shy, that returned to normal after a few strides, she is showing herself to have developed a sense of restraint and trust. I am very happy.

Suzon
Herd Member

Postby Suzon » Thu Mar 10, 2016 10:04 pm

:D YEAH!!!! DH passed the kidney stone he's been fighting for over a week. FINALLY!!! That counts as my "good thing" for today. :D

Return to “The Observation Lounge/ Cookbook Forum even Hot Topics”