The Little Red Barn Has TWO Occupants! 4-6-16 photo

fergusnc
500 post plus club

The Little Red Barn Has TWO Occupants! 4-6-16 photo

Postby fergusnc » Wed Mar 02, 2016 1:46 pm

image.jpg
image.jpg (225.44 KiB) Viewed 25444 times
So, like all good plans, life threw a curve ball. Got an 8:45pm text on a Tuesday evening that the farm where we boarded for over three years was closing to boarders and they'd like "most boarder horses gone within 30 days". It was totally out of the blue, and a real gut punch to me since I planned to move my horse home in early summer (we had/have a crap load of things to do to set it up to run smoothly). DH and I made a fire drill plan, as I could not stand the idea of another boarding barn search...I really felt my horse just didn't have it in him. Over the last year there had been so very many changes and inconsistencies that he was over it....he and I both just wanted one last move home, where I would be able to keep the status quo for him. I asked advice of friends who own their own place, the vet, barn manager friends, and they all told me I could pull it off.

So in 34 days, in horrible muddy, sloppy, sometimes absurdly cold for us, conditions, and with the help of old and new friends, we got the barnyard fenced (a little over an acre) enough to be safe and functional for a very respectful horse, but is not "finished" to its ideal state yet. Everything took three times as long as anticipated due to the amount of rain we have gotten this winter. We got The Little Red Barn set with poles to build stalls as we have time, but functional as a run in, and we also got the ones set to build the actual run in off the side of the barn once stalls are built. We were trying to plan ahead for not having gaping holes where a horse would have access, take advantage of help when it was offered, and get as much done as we could. I had TLRB wired, inspected, and hooked up (complete with the trenching and burying in between the crappy weather). Running water had to wait, so we have lots of hoses connected and use the house. The Little Gray Barn's repairs continued, and will be done as of this morning. I bought metal trash cans and grain, 21 big bales of hay, dug out buckets and supplies from our showing days, and took over the garage. I had trees taken down before the fence was up so that it would be less of a mess and less expensive than working around fences. Tarps became my friend. I undid some of the work the grader did (wheat straw raked up, graded areas that turned to bare muddy areas fenced off within the barnyard with temp fencing). I bought a round pen and used it to extend off of one fence line into another pasture space we didn't have time to fence in yet...it was a contingency plan in case the trenching became a safety issue, etc. I tried to also find time to develop a buddy plan, but I couldn't pull that off. I am picking up more of the hay i found tomorrow. I honestly cannot believe how many people outside my circle of friends came through for me...tree guy, barn guy, grader, inspector, power company folks, hay contact, round pen guy, farm store manager...it's humbling.

So I rolled in with my boy about 10am on Sunday. There are no horses within eye sight. Cows are sometimes visible next door. He has been so good. Not too much running, next to no calling, just lots of walking...so not enough grazing. I started him on Gastroguard on Monday, and started using a bit of Ace now and then yesterday to stop the walking. DH and I got one stall build out on Monday evening but not finished, but my horse seems worried being locked in. When I can pull it off, I put a leadrope on him and just stand with him, and that is usually enough to get some grazing or some napping. He has enjoyed the company of the barn guys and DH and I while we continue construction stuff. The buddy plan has taken center stage, but even that has challenges based on the set up we were able to pull off, borrowing a horse and then having to give it back, etc etc etc. I actually have a great option for a permanent buddy, but just don't have the lay out right for introductions yet.

It is better each day. I am trying to make logical decisions, but emotions make that hard. I am so proud of my boy and how good he is being. I had our massage/body work person work on him Monday and she said he wasn't scared or stressed, but very alert and 'busy'. Like a watchdog. And that goes along with his herd leader, stallion wannabe tendencies. DH and I are absolutely exhausted, but not sleeping well due to busy brains and really sore muscles.

Here are some photos from arrival time. I am making myself take time to be excited. It was not the homecoming complete with rainbows and butterflies and warm fuzzies I had planned for, but he is HOME! :-)
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg (211.04 KiB) Viewed 25444 times
image.jpg
image.jpg (254.97 KiB) Viewed 25444 times
Last edited by fergusnc on Wed Apr 06, 2016 11:49 am, edited 3 times in total.

PaulaO
Bringing Life to the DDBB

Re: The Little Red Barn Is Occupied! (My boy came home...)

Postby PaulaO » Wed Mar 02, 2016 2:26 pm

Sometimes life gives you lemons, but you made wonderful lemonade. I can't believe all the work you did in 34 days. I wouldn't even know where to start. Your boy will settle in and you will get him a buddy and a few months from now you will be like "I don't even remember having to rush to finish." Enjoy your boy at home.

Sunshine2Me
Herd Member

Postby Sunshine2Me » Wed Mar 02, 2016 2:57 pm

WOW! Great job and how nice that you have your boy home! The rest will fall into place. He looks happy!

demi

Postby demi » Wed Mar 02, 2016 3:06 pm

Yay! It's so nice to see him running in his new field. You AND the DH are good horse people!

Kelo
Herd Member

Postby Kelo » Wed Mar 02, 2016 3:14 pm

What PaulaO said :-)

Congrats on having him home!

KathyK

Postby KathyK » Wed Mar 02, 2016 3:27 pm

I'm happy for all of you. :)

Rockabilly
Herd Member

Postby Rockabilly » Wed Mar 02, 2016 4:39 pm

You will always do great and make good decisions because you care so much. Despite all the work it is fun having him home, right?

fergusnc
500 post plus club

Postby fergusnc » Wed Mar 02, 2016 4:50 pm

Thanks everyone for the kind words!

It really IS fun having him home! The work to get him here was back breaking, exhausting and nerve wrecking. The work having him here is just fun. :D :D :D now that so much of the adrenaline has worn off, I look at the other 7 acres that I'd planned to fence in as pasture, and pray that DH and I have enough steam to do it, lol. I am planning on having the two hay fields cut and baled this spring...the grading guy and I have already talked about him doing it, as he used to do it as a teenager for the last owner and does tons of acreage in hay now...so it's actually good that it isn't fenced yet.

I took a few days off of work to try to get some aspects of life back under control, and it just doesn't get old looking out any back window of the house and seeing him. 8-) 8-) 8-) Even DH, who works from home, has gotten into the habit of watching him. It's fun to see them together after work, as DH works on TLRB...Fergus meets him at the gate, walks with him, checks to see what the chore is, and wanders off....then checks back in periodically. I have eavesdropped now and then to listen to DH's commentary to Ferg, and it makes me smile. Before this, their time together was extremely limited, and DH really had no horse experiences before me. Fergus is being extremely sensible and very polite around DH, and I can see the bond forming before my eyes...

Canyon
500 post plus club

Postby Canyon » Wed Mar 02, 2016 5:22 pm

Isn't it priceless to look out the window see your horse? I'm so glad that Fergus is settling in at your place.

I am not surprised that so many people helped you in the push to get Fergus home. I think you still probably have a big positive balance in your cosmic piggy bank.

Fatcat
Herd Member

Postby Fatcat » Wed Mar 02, 2016 5:25 pm

Yippee! I agree there's nothing better than looking out your window and watching your horse graze. Unless it's sitting in the barn at dinner time listening to them munch hay. :)

M&M
Herd Member

Postby M&M » Wed Mar 02, 2016 5:49 pm

But the looking out your window is something that not all horse owners get to enjoy. We all get to enjoy the hay eating sounds.

I used to frequently house sit where my horses lived. It was a great second best!

Chisamba

Postby Chisamba » Wed Mar 02, 2016 10:19 pm

congratulations, i you need a barn companion, i am in need of downsizing lol

Rhianon
Herd Member

Postby Rhianon » Thu Mar 03, 2016 12:24 am

Well done, you! What a happy looking boy.

I have to say, getting set up takes as much time as you have. Being forced to do it fast, as we found out, has a kind of "completeness" to it.

TeresaA
Herd Member

Postby TeresaA » Thu Mar 03, 2016 1:17 am

He looks very happy. You worked very hard to make this happen. Good for you.

fergusnc
500 post plus club

Postby fergusnc » Thu Mar 03, 2016 6:18 pm

Awwww, Canyon, that was very sweet...thank you.

Rhiannon, I was just thinking about that a day or two ago...maybe I was glad we had such a fire drill experience...otherwise maybe we wouldn't have been as far along as I'd hoped even by summer when there was "no rush".

Chisamba, too bad we don't live close...I know any buddies coming from your would be pretty fantastic.

I do think he is happy. He acts like he wants to be up at the house with us, pays attention to our vehicles coming and going, wanders over when he hears the dogs being taken out into the back yard for potty trips. He is still on patrol, but doesn't seem worried....just confused or lonely maybe?

Feeding time has been my favorite. Something about meal prep for your own horse at your own place is just a happy thing. And I will say, for the first time in 16 years, it felt FABULOUS when I did NOT have to write out a board check!!!!

LeoApp
Herd Member

Postby LeoApp » Fri Mar 04, 2016 4:55 pm

He will settle in just fine, I am sure.
Congrats on having him home!!

fergusnc
500 post plus club

Postby fergusnc » Sat Mar 05, 2016 12:24 pm

each day he is more settled. It has been nice that DH works from home and can give me updates. Yesterday he was settled for the vast part of the day without patrolling, no Ace for two days. More snoozing, lots of grazing. He enjoys watching the goings on at the pond outside his fence, and keeping an eye on the new baby calves next door. Loving it....

Suzon
Herd Member

Postby Suzon » Sat Mar 05, 2016 6:18 pm

Can you get him a goat?

fergusnc
500 post plus club

Postby fergusnc » Sun Mar 06, 2016 1:30 am

Goats actually creep me out a bit. :oops: :lol:

Chisamba

Postby Chisamba » Sun Mar 06, 2016 11:01 pm

goats are very narcissistic, clever as heck, into everything, entertaining as can be, but also have a high nuisance value!

Suzon
Herd Member

Postby Suzon » Sun Mar 06, 2016 11:21 pm

BTW, we need more pictures of happy horse!

fergusnc
500 post plus club

Postby fergusnc » Tue Mar 08, 2016 1:41 am

Would love to add more photos…need to make time for that and quit being too busy, lol. I got a text from a friend last night…he had snapped a photo of a sign he'd seen at a store and told me it reminded him of me and DH. Sign said, "I am so busy I don't know if I found a rope or lost my horse." :-)

fergusnc
500 post plus club

Re: The Little Red Barn Has TWO Occupants! 3-19-16 Update

Postby fergusnc » Sat Mar 19, 2016 8:32 pm

Exciting news! This morning I brought home a gelding from a rescue facility! I had been emailing with the director for the last two months, explaining what I thought would be the traits to match up well with my boy. Filled out an application and got approved but was too busy getting the place ready to bring Fergus home that I couldn't go any further with getting him a buddy.

Two weeks ago I went up with an open mind to meet their geldings, and it became clear very quickly that I had found exactly what I was looking for. I went back the next weekend to be responsible and see him again. If anything, I was more sure. My goal was to find a buddy that was a great fit for my horse, and I had no real concerns about whether or not he was a riding horse for me...I don't have time to ride Fergus right now, so why add another I don't have time to ride. But this guy is a great package.

11 years old, sensible, sound, smart. He is by no means finished, but the volunteer hopped up after months and months of no riding, and he could have cared less. There is spunk in there I think, and some opinions, but he learns fast about expectations of manners. Too much to type, but loading him this morning was an accidental cluster (we were not in charge), and despite that and despite being confused/nervous, he got on faster than my horse gets on. Hauled well. Unloading needs work...but even when confused and choosing an alternate way to do things, he didn't do anything stupid.

He is little, and may prove too little for me to ride too much, but would be a nice surprise if he isn't. 14.2hh (maybe 14.3hh but I tend to inflate where to measure) but solid. He comes across as more whoa than go, but I have a feeling that if you were to actually ride him with a purpose, he wants to be forward (in a nice way). Based on his tantrums so far (about being alone in a paddock beside Fergus who is in a bigger pasture) he can move very nicely and has lots of 'go'. I wish he wasn't so good at the head slinging bucks though. :lol:

He was an encouraged owner surrender, too thin, with a buddy that was actually in the way-too-thin category. Owners had no idea about horses but ended up with two of them. What is fun for me to watch is how Fegus is being the voice of reason...the pony gets goofy and Fergus ignores him. I was looking for a calming influence on Ferg, but it is going the opposite way. 8-)
Nothing has been perfect in this moving home adventure, and today's weather does not inspire calmness in the horses, so I am proud of both of them.

The rescue calls him Dallas, and at first that didn't seem right to me...funny how in spending time with him, I can see it. And when I said his name while talking to him and his ears perked up, I was more convinced. Maybe hearing familiar words in the middle of nothing else familiar feels good to him.

I will add photos when I can get IPad to cooperate...

Rockabilly
Herd Member

Postby Rockabilly » Sat Mar 19, 2016 9:31 pm

I will love seeing them together.

Suzon
Herd Member

Postby Suzon » Sat Mar 19, 2016 9:56 pm

Need Mo' Pitchers! :lol:

fergusnc
500 post plus club

Postby fergusnc » Sun Mar 20, 2016 12:32 am

Sorry, seems like they are either too big to be accepted, or look small when I get them to go through. :oops: Hope this gives you an idea...

Dallas has been pretty full of himself a few times this evening, but I have to hand it to him, he is very balanced and is getting around a space not quite the size of a small dressage arena really well while weaving between a few well-spaced trees, negotiating slight undulations (sp?) of the ground, and throwing his back feet over his head when snaking his neck like a champ. :shock: At one point, DH and I watched him do that bucking bronco bounce/snort/fart with his head underneath his belly button…all while he bellowed. I told DH that I really hope he uses his powers of athleticism for good and not evil once it's time to play with some training. I really get the sense of "still waters run deep" and smart. He is very people oriented. And he is a redhead. He seemed confused and frustrated and a bit insecure with this huge change, and I don't blame him one bit.

He was at the rescue in a herd of 6 or so, with 35 horses on the property and 2 farm dogs and free range chickens and roosters and ducks, so lots of company. Poor guy had a hissy fit watching the neighbor 2 doors down riding her horse up and down their driveway over and over. Fergus has gone the opposite direction…at first concerned, I think he knows it's nothing for him to handle, and he ignores the antics. The rodeo demo happened while I was putting Ferg's sheet on in his field, and non-horsey DH was holding Ferg (just in case)…and Fergus maybe glanced over half way. Even the screaming about the neighbor horse got a half a head lift from Ferg, and he had that "oh yea, I've seen them around, no big deal" reaction for 1/2 a second before he buried his head in his hay again. Now when he perceived a threat in the woods at the edge of his pasture farthest away from the pony, and the pony acted scared, Fergus charged across the field at the woods, and when he came back, kept the pony behind him at the fence line while getting really big and tall and snorting while monitoring the woods. Boy oh boy was he offended later when that cheeky little pony reached across the fence to sniff him all lovingly while I was fitting Ferg with a new halter, only to nip him right in the butt!! Fergus squealed in disbelief, spun his butt around and kicked the gate when the pony was standing, all while Dallas looked at him with wide, innocent eyes. :roll:
Attachments
Dallas2.jpg
Dallas2.jpg (39.24 KiB) Viewed 25044 times
Dallas3.jpg
Dallas3.jpg (35.15 KiB) Viewed 25044 times
Dallas4.jpg
Dallas4.jpg (35.08 KiB) Viewed 25044 times

fergusnc
500 post plus club

Postby fergusnc » Sun Mar 20, 2016 12:32 am

And one more...
Attachments
Dallas.jpg
Dallas.jpg (45.05 KiB) Viewed 25044 times

boots-aregard
Herd Member

Postby boots-aregard » Sun Mar 20, 2016 1:05 am

I am JEALOUS! I want that pony, and I've had my feelers out, but so far haven't come upon anything yet that I couldn't say no to. (DH is *really* *really* hoping I continue to say no. We got out of horses several years back and he's not at all excited about owning again. I do ride with a trainer now, so I get my riding in.) BUT I WANT A PONY!!! For me, and for my granddaughter.

Chisamba

Postby Chisamba » Sun Mar 20, 2016 2:19 am

He is very cute, red waters run deep ;). Glad you have a companion, hope he turns out to be fun, thanks for taking a rescue.

fergusnc
500 post plus club

Postby fergusnc » Sun Mar 20, 2016 1:01 pm

Here are a few that a friend sent taken right after unloading. He was pretty sweaty from the trailer, and in one photo he was trying to share my boots with me, but he is really doing well overall for all the change he is going through.
Attachments
Dallas12.jpg
Dallas12.jpg (50.13 KiB) Viewed 24996 times
Dallas11.jpg
Dallas11.jpg (29.67 KiB) Viewed 24996 times
Dallas10.jpg
Dallas10.jpg (46.28 KiB) Viewed 24996 times
Last edited by fergusnc on Sun Mar 20, 2016 1:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

fergusnc
500 post plus club

Postby fergusnc » Sun Mar 20, 2016 1:05 pm

and...
Attachments
Dallas14.jpg
Dallas14.jpg (21.53 KiB) Viewed 24995 times

fergusnc
500 post plus club

Postby fergusnc » Sun Mar 20, 2016 1:08 pm

him getting in my boots... :lol:
Attachments
Dallas13.jpg
Dallas13.jpg (172.27 KiB) Viewed 24993 times

Suzon
Herd Member

Postby Suzon » Sun Mar 20, 2016 4:13 pm

Such a cutie!

fergusnc
500 post plus club

Postby fergusnc » Sun Mar 20, 2016 6:20 pm

I put the boys together this morning…it was the non-issue I expected. This video clip is from the very beginning, and it repeated itself a few times for about 30 minutes before Dallas gave up the ghost and joined in the grazing from a respectable distance. Fergus was the responsible adult, setting a good example for the new guy. https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=y ... pp=desktop

As of a few minutes ago, they are side by side in their grazing endeavors.
Attachments
Dallas 22.jpg
Dallas 22.jpg (44.01 KiB) Viewed 24967 times
Dallas 21.jpg
Dallas 21.jpg (51.28 KiB) Viewed 24967 times
Dallas20.jpg
Dallas20.jpg (48.91 KiB) Viewed 24967 times

fergusnc
500 post plus club

Postby fergusnc » Sun Mar 20, 2016 6:25 pm

And in case you wanted to see the current state of The Little Red Barn, here it is. Still a big work in progress, but it looks more like a barn now! :D
Attachments
LittleRedBarnMarch20.jpg
LittleRedBarnMarch20.jpg (38.41 KiB) Viewed 24967 times

hoopoe
Herd Member

Postby hoopoe » Sun Mar 20, 2016 7:37 pm

Ah Dal And Fergus look like fast friends

Fergus clearly does not understand why Dal is wasting calories.

eating is priority and I suspect Dal already knows Fergus is top dog and first at the best pile

airefjordphil
Greenie

Postby airefjordphil » Tue Mar 22, 2016 1:33 am

What a enviable adventure you're having. Thanks for rescuing that spunky little pony. I hope he and Fergus become gelding-style best friends (which I understand involves a fair amount of friendly nipping...)

fergusnc
500 post plus club

Postby fergusnc » Wed Mar 23, 2016 2:52 pm

Thanks all. So to add to the fun, our taxi ride to bring Dallas home warned me that he was sick but felt he was past 'contagious stage'. When i saw him in person, i was pretty sure he was wrong…and turns out i was right, dang it. Dallas came home Saturday AM and I was coughing by late Sunday afternoon. By Sunday night, I was in full-blown, some sort of flu mode, and I haven't been to work all week. DH has been a great help and pretty friggin' adorable stretching his wings with horse assistance at meals…until this AM I was too wobbly to walk down there without back up in case i fell over. DH's cough started yesterday and he was full-blown by this morning. We both had our shots so either we are getting an "easy" version or have a different strain, but it's not been fun. Thankfully I felt a bit better this AM and handled all animal duties alone, as DH could barely get upright. Upside, due to zero appetite, I have lost 7.5 pounds since Sunday.

Yesterday the farrier was coming, so I called our petsitter and luckily she was free for a trip out here to hold the horses and groom the boys and make them feel less abandoned. I didn't feel like DH was familiar enough to be responsible for controlling a horse with a human underneath it just yet. I was sleeping and our pet sitter filled me in via text re: how well Dallas did. When I shared that with DH he said, "I know, I was down there. I helped with Dallas." He was so proud of himself…it was adorable. I asked if he held Dallas, and he said no, but that Dallas seemed scared, so he pet him and talked to him to help him feel safe while the pet sitter held him. He denies it, but I have a feeling he and Dallas might just become "his horse" even though I doubt he will ever get on due to his asthma/horse allergies and the fact that the only time he went on a trail ride with an ex GF, the horse "took off" (whatever that translates to) and he did not enjoy it.

Seeing him this AM, I am hoping he didn't breathe on anyone, and that being in the great outdoors will save the farrier and pet sitter from this mess. The pet sitter's hubby is who got me sick, and I have no clue how she has avoided it.

Suzon
Herd Member

Postby Suzon » Wed Mar 23, 2016 7:21 pm

:D Except for the flu part, most excellent updates. :D

exploding pony
Novice

Postby exploding pony » Wed Mar 23, 2016 9:33 pm

OK so you know you actually need to get one more ... because now the two are going to be too bonded to take one anywhere :lol: :lol: :lol:

And so the herd begins!

Rockabilly
Herd Member

Postby Rockabilly » Wed Mar 23, 2016 9:53 pm

Well, I actually did do that and then I had 2 calling at the top of their lungs to Billy and me. :lol:

Ryeissa

Postby Ryeissa » Wed Mar 23, 2016 10:25 pm

I'm so happy for you~

fergusnc
500 post plus club

Postby fergusnc » Thu Mar 24, 2016 1:10 am

Yep, I know, I bet more may come. I'd really like a rescue donkey when life settles a little more. :D

I was looking out the window while making DH some tea...he is in the please kill me stage and I have moved onto making it through the day with no nap stage, so my turn to take care of him a little more....and I saw this red streak fly by. Dallas was full out running away from the cow neighbors' side of the pasture, tail flagged. He stopped, spun, stared and snorted. Ferg continued eating hay with his butt to the cow neighbors. Dallas ran back and forth, made some laps of Ferg, stopped right beside him, like he was saying "danger Will Robinson" and Fergus literally never lifted his head once. It cracked me up. Fergus can get nervous, and takes protecting his herd seriously, so his complete lack of response says a lot to me about where Dallas' head is at right now. And it was really funny watching Dallas puzzle over Fergus' non-reaction...hoping that will help him feel more safe and settled the more he sees it.

LeoApp
Herd Member

Postby LeoApp » Thu Mar 24, 2016 1:26 pm

Awesome. Hope you guys are both feeling lots better soon.

demi

Postby demi » Sat Apr 02, 2016 5:10 pm

This thread makes me happy.

fergusnc
500 post plus club

Re: The Little Red Barn Has TWO Occupants! 4-4-16 UPDATE

Postby fergusnc » Mon Apr 04, 2016 7:00 pm

The boys are an absolute trip to watch. They are interacting exactly as I'd hoped and predicted in their relationship. We have started calling them Batman and Robin, and once I taught Dallas about how to wear a fly mask, the names are even more appropriate (see photos of their matching crime-fighting masks).

I really wish I was able to know more about Dallas' history before the people who had him/his friend taken away. The other day I was watching the boys stretch their legs. They both looked great. Fergus really doesn't gallop, but every once in awhile will do his extended, mile-covering canter…and that day, he was doing just that. Dallas was cantering hard to try to keep up, and out of the blue, I SAW who he really is when I watched some magic switch flip and he took off. Flat out gallop, eating up the ground. Amazingly, it got faster and faster and faster. My mouth was literally hanging open. I have never seen a horse…QH's to OTTBs…move that fast, and continue to accelerate like that, during pasture play. He knew what he was doing, only opened up like that on straight lines/long sides of the pasture. And he did it twice. It was beautiful and awe-inspiring and a little terrifying all at once. :lol: :shock:

I knew he was athletic from his temper tantrums, but wow. Afterwards, while both out of shape cream puffs were catching their breath, I told Dallas how amazing he was, and that he had to promise that he would only go that fast with a human aboard WITH PERMISSION and that he he had to slow down if they asked him to. I really hope he understood. 8-)

I have also watched him when the neighbor cows come into view. They intrigue the heck out of him. He runs over to watch them file out, and just stares and stares, ears perked, body coiled. He doesn't seem scared at all. Even DH mentioned that he wondered if Dallas ever had a chance to help with cattle.

I wonder what the background of his family tree is. I wonder what sort of jobs are "in his blood" from his QH genes. Part of me looks at his pretty, pretty head and wonder if there is a pony breed in there. I stare at his absurdly thick tail and awesome mane and wonder if he was gelded later in life, or if that could be another pony breed indicator. None of it really matters…he is who he is and that's all he needs to be…but I just wonder.

It might be fun to see how he'd enjoy playing with a ranch class type western rider someday, and I do have a very kind friend in mind to invite over for play dates some day. But I also feel like he would do quite respectably in 'the sandbox'. For now, it's been a hoot getting to know him. It's been many many many years since I had to teach Fergus about things like ground tying and offering a human his feet and fly masks helping to put on halters and such….and it's been fun doing it again. :D Even more fun since Dallas (knock wood) has been very reasonable in his confusion, and even in his refusals.

I just love being out in the pasture with both of them. It is so clear how they interact, and what I can expect…I know Fergus like the back of my hand, and can read his body language quite easily. Dallas is also very consistent in his reactions to Fergus, so I feel very safe that I am understanding them, which makes me feel very safe. I didn't realize just how long it had been since I felt like I "knew" a herd….there was a great deal of change within pastures at the place we recently left and I didn't realize how insecure it can make a human feel as the horses are trying to work it out. It is so peaceful now…
Attachments
Dallas31.jpg
Dallas31.jpg (48.77 KiB) Viewed 24716 times
Dallas30.jpg
Dallas30.jpg (49.9 KiB) Viewed 24716 times

KathyK

Postby KathyK » Mon Apr 04, 2016 11:54 pm

I'm so happy for you and both these lovely horses.

fergusnc
500 post plus club

Postby fergusnc » Tue Apr 05, 2016 1:21 am

And the boys have decided they actually like their stalls as of this afternoon, lol. So here is a grainy old phone photo of ol' Fergus actually inside TLRB. :D
DH continues to work on getting the stalls done, versus just functional, and we are closer and closer. 8-)
Attachments
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (133.93 KiB) Viewed 24688 times

Kelo
Herd Member

Postby Kelo » Tue Apr 05, 2016 12:48 pm

Yay for you, fergusnc :mrgreen: And, of course, Mr. fergusnc, Fergus and Dallas!

PaulaO

Postby PaulaO » Tue Apr 05, 2016 1:42 pm

Dallas chose the right person :D

Return to “The Observation Lounge/ Cookbook Forum even Hot Topics”