Greyhounds- tell me what you know

Racetrackreject
500 post plus club

Greyhounds- tell me what you know

Postby Racetrackreject » Mon Mar 07, 2016 8:20 pm

I've gone round the bend and I'm thinking of getting another dog. It's the dog's fault really. I was minding my own business in PetSmart, while on the fringe of a round pen of Greyhounds for adoption. The dogs all seemed friendly, but standishoffish at the same time. This one dog made it's way over closer to me, so I petted her just a tiny bit. Then every time I moved, this dog would push the others out of the way to get to me and she followed me everywhere. Several people who were also petting the Greyhounds commented that I had just found myself a new dog. This was the only Greyhound to act this way and I was the only person she did this to, and now I want one. I know that particular Greyhound is probably adopted out already, but there was another I liked as well, a fawn male who was stunning, imo. The female, and most of the others, were brindle.

So, if one was thinking about getting a Greyhound, what are the important things to know? I'm sure these likely came from the racepark, but they seemed well-socialized and had the friendly but yet aloof thing down pat. Is there anything to worry about having them around a small dog (JRT) and a cat?

Has anyone here had a Greyhound? Was it off of the track?

Josette
Bringing Life to the DDBB

Re: Greyhounds- tell me what you know

Postby Josette » Mon Mar 07, 2016 8:41 pm

The cat could possibly be an issue IMO. I understand they are lovely dogs when I've see these rescue groups.

http://greyhoundcrossroads.com/index.ph ... at-testing

okay - found this link.

Chisamba
Bringing Life to the DDBB

Postby Chisamba » Mon Mar 07, 2016 9:49 pm

my friend had greyhounds, they were very sweet dogs, yes, a bit aloof, but also affectionate, very relaxed, needed only limited exercise, and they had a cat too.

the warning was that they do not come back if they see something and begin to run. so exercise on leash or in a fenced area.

Koolkat
500 post plus club

Postby Koolkat » Mon Mar 07, 2016 11:20 pm

I think you should get the female, she picked you.

Signed, Enabler

HaltatG
Greenie

Postby HaltatG » Tue Mar 08, 2016 12:00 am

Nothing gets me out of lurker mode quicker than the chance to talk about greyhounds! I am a convert - wish I had saved the thread I started over at UDBB because it really documented me moving from skeptic to full-on drinking the Kool-Aid. ;)

Greyhounds are fantastic dogs. We have two retired racers, and are active with our local greyhound group. In general, I'd say greyhounds are extremely easy to have around - couch potatoes who are happy to sleep and lounge 18+ hours a day! Ours like to zoom for a few minutes a week, and are content with easy walks the rest of the time. They are extremely affectionate with us, but are not overly friendly to strangers (can be aloof). Both of ours are big snugglers - one of them would prefer to be in full body contact with one of us at all times. Ours are both small-dog safe, but neither is cat-safe. However, many adoption groups do cat-testing, and several of our friends have cat-tolerant greys. One thing to know about dogs coming directly from the track or a kennel situation, is that they may have had no exposure to things that are part of our everyday lives - stairs, sliding glass doors, slick floors, mirrors. They just need to learn about living in a home! Track dogs are really used to a regimented life - meal times, turn-out times, etc. and may take some time to adjust.

"My" dog is nearly 11, and is content to relax at home most of the time. She does like short hikes and walks. She loves toys and plays everyday. She's never met a stranger, and loves all people. She is not thrilled with rude dogs, and may snark at them if she can't avoid them. I think a lot of track dogs, raised with litter mates for much longer than the average dog, are very good at doggie communication and don't like dogs who aren't. My sweetheart's dog is 6, and is an adventurer. Her favorite thing is to be out blazing trails on a long hike. She's more aloof with people, but loves being in a big pack of dogs. She has an excellent recall and is allowed off-leash in certain situations, while my dog never is. I was worried about having two females, but we've had no issues. I would have another in a second!

If there are any specific questions I can answer, let me know!

redsoxluvr
Herd Member

Postby redsoxluvr » Tue Mar 08, 2016 3:35 am

My sister does greyhound rescue. She has cats and has not had any issues. They are by and large couch potatoes. I do have a large pasture that she will bring them over to be turned loose in. They will run the length of it once or twice and then just play like normal dogs. They aren't my chosen breed - I have working ranch dogs - but they are nice enough. They aren't really chewers or barkers per se. One thing I know about hers is that they find "sit" physically difficult. I'm not sure why - maybe it is their conformation.

TeresaB
Greenie

Postby TeresaB » Tue Mar 08, 2016 4:04 am

Greyhounds! I've had many over the past 20 years. I'm active in a local rescue and have fostered and also do home visits.

The adoption process generally consists of filling out an application, having someone come by for a home visit, and then having an adoption counselor talk with you to setup visits with possible matches that are currently in foster homes. Not all rescues are that thorough, but you'll end up with the best possible match with that protocol.

You will indicate on your application if you are looking for small dog, cat, and/or small child safe. Not all hounds will be compatible with little things, but many are!
Being sight-hounds, they are on-leash or 'fenced-in area at all times' type of dogs. They don't require tons of exercise and they are not outside dogs. They go out to potty, get some zoomies out and then back inside on a soft bed. Having said that, I currently have a 2yr old female which is unlike any Greyhound I've known. She is obsessed with her ball and will run and play by herself for quite some time. And then she prefers to lay in her self-made dirt roll hole rather than come back inside. Weather permitting, she'll stay outside the entire time I'm riding and doing chores. She's also a digger. As ready mentioned, they are generally quite, peaceful, non-destructive beings. Just sweet as can be.

fergusnc
500 post plus club

Postby fergusnc » Tue Mar 08, 2016 12:19 pm

Very cool dogs. I looked into rescuing at one point, but I am drawn to dogs with a more fall all over themselves to tell you how much they missed you when you are fine for 2 minutes types….the greyhounds I met were all very subtle. :-)
During my research, I heard the same thing about small dogs and cats…some are fine and some have a very high prey drive for cats, squirrels, etc. Also was told never ever never ever off leash when outside of a fence. They can get "up to speed" in a blink of an eye and will go right in front of a car (and have no clue) to chase their prey. They get cold super easily (not sure about hot temps) as they are so lean and have so little fat. Not sure if it is an issue nowadays, but back when i was looking (many years ago), you had to make sure your vet was familiar with how to anesthetize them…something about how to dose them or which drugs to use as their weight didn't factor in how little fat they had and how the drugs were metabolized? Back then, vets unfamiliar with this had killed some when putting them under for dentals, etc. Other thing my vet mentioned was their thin skin…if they wrestle and nip during play, they can tear (and need stitches) easily. Some rescues recommend muzzling them during play time for this reason. As others have said, big couch potatoes for the most part. I think they are just so regal and elegant, and gorgeous. And for what I heard (years ago) they endure in a racing lifestyle, they sure deserve a nice home. 20 years ago, a friend did nothing but GH rescue in FL and the stories she told me of how some dogs were found were sickening and sadistic and I will not forget them. It was punishment for not winning. :-(

Tarlo Farm
500 post plus club

Postby Tarlo Farm » Tue Mar 08, 2016 1:34 pm

Nothing other than while visiting Orchard Beach OR a number of years ago a couple had a rescue pair they'd walk on the beach early in the morning when the tide was out. I say "walk" euphemistically. They'd turn the dogs loose and those dogs turned into liquid silver streaking across the open sand. They were magnificent! I've never seen a more beautiful dog run.

Racetrackreject
500 post plus club

Postby Racetrackreject » Tue Mar 08, 2016 2:16 pm

Thanks so much for all of the information!

I have found the rescue that had the dogs at Petsmart, but I am out of their area. :( I will still look into it though, if not for now, maybe for in the future.

The plan was that the Greyhound would basically be an inside only dog, like my JRT, and would go out only to use the restroom and to play for a few times a day with Pepper and Merri (who both prefer to be out during the day and in at night). I still think they seem like cool dogs, so this is definitely something I'm going to file for later, if nothing works out now.

Thanks again!

Koolkat
500 post plus club

Postby Koolkat » Tue Mar 08, 2016 8:00 pm

Tarlo Farm wrote:They'd turn the dogs loose and those dogs turned into liquid silver streaking across the open sand. They were magnificent!

Beautiful, Tarlo.

NancyP
Novice

Postby NancyP » Sat Mar 12, 2016 1:34 am

Jeepers...I've not been on here for a few days and I come back with only a minute to spare and here is a topic near and dear to my heart.
We have THREE retired racers :)

this link will give you answers to questions you never knew you had.....there are several people there from Texas who would be more than happy to help you out. Probably at the meet and greet you attended.....

http://forum.greytalk.com/

PM me if you want....

Minz
Novice

Postby Minz » Sun Mar 13, 2016 3:43 am

A friend's greyhound is a beautiful dog, but she is not safe with cats or small dogs. Her racing/prey instinct is just too strong. Getting a fostered dog would be better because these dogs are behaviour tested before adoption. Beautiful dogs,, and great pets. I think you should do it. Just like an OTTB, you are helping a dog to lead a new life as a productive member of society.

Racetrackreject
500 post plus club

Postby Racetrackreject » Sun Mar 13, 2016 5:30 pm

Thanks guys! It seems that all of the rescues I have checked out don't let you pick the dog. They come out and do home visits and choose the dog they feel you should have. I understand why they do it, but I'm not so sure I'm comfortable with that sort of process. Is this normal for all Greyhound rescues?

TeresaB
Greenie

Postby TeresaB » Sun Mar 13, 2016 8:30 pm

It is the norm now. When I got my first greyhound in the early 1990s, I went to a kennel at a race track in Colorado Springs. They opened a bunch of the crate doors and out popped a bunch of dogs. One male picked me and home we went. It was quite a learning curve for me and the dog. At that time, there was no foster program so it was just me and a book, 'Adopting the Racing Greyhound'.

The adoption form should ask questions about your preferences. Male, female, color, cat safe, etc. While it is true the adoption group will make a match based on the information you provided, you can go visit the dog but are not obligated to take the dog. The group I'm involved with will suggest a few dogs and then have the fosters of those dogs go to the next meet and greet where the potential adopter can meet more than one dog at a time.

Fair warning, the dog will pick you, not the other way around. :-)
Last edited by TeresaB on Mon Mar 14, 2016 2:45 am, edited 1 time in total.

NancyP
Novice

Postby NancyP » Sun Mar 13, 2016 11:39 pm

The group that I worked with in Ottawa (I am in Eastern Ontario) got their hounds from a placement/holding kennel in Northern Vermont.
The coordinator in Ottawa came here and did the home visit and she and the kennel master made several suggestions on hounds they thought would suit our lifestyle.
The following week I made the 5 hour drive and got to choose my dog 'Nixon' ... and he was at the top of her suggestions.
The following year I went back and came home with another of their top choices 'Ruby'.
Our third Grey 'Nigel' was 'bounced' to us from a home in Ottawa. He lived with them for 4 months, but it wasn't 'working out' ...no fault of his...they had a new baby. Grrrrrr.....

Now, the Ottawa group fosters the dogs.
You can go and meet them in their foster homes or at a 'meet and greet' ... I believe you can even have one at your home on trial... and then you get to decide. I think fostering is a good idea.

And yes... the hound will pick you :)
The first time I went to Vermont, I was sure that I was coming home with a hound named 'Curly'. Based on his photos and description, he was the hound for me. I didn't even want to meet any of the other dogs.
However...when we got there, Curly was very aloof with me... he bonded right away with my friend - who was not there to adopt a dog. But Nixon just came quietly out of his kennel and leaned on me. I walked several other dogs, but always came back to him. He has been with us nearly 6 years and is the dog of my dreams :)

Return to “The Observation Lounge/ Cookbook Forum even Hot Topics”