Trader Joes Recommendations

Minz
Novice

Trader Joes Recommendations

Postby Minz » Sun Mar 20, 2016 5:05 am

I am a Canadian heading to Ohio in a few weeks for Equine Affaire. In addition to the horse shopping, I have a list of other US only products I intend to pick up. I have heard so much about Trader Joes I have decided to add that to my list of stops this year. Cookie butter is the big standout from the UDBB thread, but Americans, please tell me... Is there a must have product you can think of that is only available at Trader Joes? I have a plug in cooler, so refrigerated items are not out of the running, but frozen are.
Thanks, and looking forward to your ideas. I am a foodie, so I am open to just about anything!!

PaulaO
Bringing Life to the DDBB

Re: Trader Joes Recommendations

Postby PaulaO » Sun Mar 20, 2016 11:20 am

Look carefully at labels. I bought frozen mushrooms that were sourced from India.

I love all the popcorn types: movie, olive oil popped, air popped, cheese/caramel mix. Cookies are also good. Try the JoJos, their version of Oreos (chocolate and golden).

Josette

Postby Josette » Sun Mar 20, 2016 11:32 am

We have a Trader Joe near us but I honestly do not go out of my way to shop there. As mentioned read the labels for source of items. I do buy portobello mushroom raviollis (not store brand) and their organic tomato vodka sauce for a quick dinner. The Wegmans doesn't carry it - - now that is a huge store similar to Whole Foods. I hope you are not disappointed as there is lots of frozen quick dinner items in the store but I do understand the appeal.

myleetlepony
Herd Member

Postby myleetlepony » Sun Mar 20, 2016 3:24 pm

Their LARGE chocolate bars...and vanilla Joe-Joe cookies! SO loves their cinnamon scones.

Sunny Santa Cruz
Greenie

Postby Sunny Santa Cruz » Sun Mar 20, 2016 6:50 pm

Everything is wonderful! A fabulous selection of cheeses, many kinds of sweets, cookies, chocolates. Love there precooked white and brown rice in the frozen foods. Great selection of appetizers. Nice fresh meats, marinated. Love the wine selections. I could go on and on.

Minz
Novice

Postby Minz » Sun Mar 20, 2016 9:24 pm

Thanks for the ideas. I am not worried about being disappointed. Anything I buy is purely for the fun factor. Cookie butter is not exactly serious stuff. I will probably not even like it, but I have to try it. There are just little differences in the foods in your grocery stores that are different than what we can buy. Even going up and down the aisles and thinking "gross" at some things is fun. My dad grew up living over a grocery store, so he instilled in me a love of looking at the foods people eat everywhere I go. There isn't a huge difference in what you have, but it is the little differences that are fun. Even your selection of M&M flavours is a treat. For the most part we can only get original and peanut. Stuff like that entertains me. What can I say, it doesn't take much. Lol. I will say though, I couldn't live long term in the states without bringing a case of Ketchup Chips with me. I have no idea why you don't have them. Craziness!!

Maple
Greenie

Postby Maple » Sun Mar 20, 2016 9:31 pm

They have this soup that comes in wax-paper cartons that is just divine. My favorite is the organic roasted red pepper and tomato soup, another fave is butternut squash, and there's one that corn and pepper too, I think. Whenever I go to TJs I stock up on these, they're great to take to the office in the winter and heat up in the micro for a quick hot lunch.

Bonus is that the calories are very low on all these soups, fabulous for when you are on a diet.

heddylamar

Postby heddylamar » Sun Mar 20, 2016 10:47 pm

I am not a huge TJ fan, but second the chocolate recomendation. Any time I need large quantities lf chocolate, I head to TJ's for the unlabelled bars.

You can also p/u fairly cheap bags of nuts.

Saddlebum
Herd Member

Postby Saddlebum » Sun Mar 20, 2016 11:56 pm

Ketchup Chips???? wow, actually they sound good. We do not have a T.J. within hours of here. Wish we did. HAVE FUN!

orono
Herd Member

Postby orono » Mon Mar 21, 2016 4:09 am

Loved TJs when we were in So Cal!! We were camping, so had a lot of their prepared salads, wines, chocolate, beef jerky, snack foods. Everything was awesome.

AmityBee
Herd Member

Postby AmityBee » Mon Mar 21, 2016 8:38 am

Minz wrote:Thanks for the ideas. I am not worried about being disappointed. Anything I buy is purely for the fun factor. Cookie butter is not exactly serious stuff. I will probably not even like it, but I have to try it. There are just little differences in the foods in your grocery stores that are different than what we can buy. Even going up and down the aisles and thinking "gross" at some things is fun. My dad grew up living over a grocery store, so he instilled in me a love of looking at the foods people eat everywhere I go. There isn't a huge difference in what you have, but it is the little differences that are fun. Even your selection of M&M flavours is a treat. For the most part we can only get original and peanut. Stuff like that entertains me. What can I say, it doesn't take much. Lol. I will say though, I couldn't live long term in the states without bringing a case of Ketchup Chips with me. I have no idea why you don't have them. Craziness!!

I can totally relate, I'm very much like that too. I love roaming around ordinary grocery stores in other countries. I think many people are like that. I live fairly close to the dutch boarder (I live in germany) and going there for these special items is a thing. I think almost everybody does it now and then. Dutch and german people alike. :D

PaulaO

Postby PaulaO » Mon Mar 21, 2016 1:01 pm

They do have wonderful cheese--smoked gouda is fab. I don't buy chocolate there because I eat milk chocolate (I personally see no use for dark chocolate--so sue me). Their pasta sauces are very reasonably priced.

no.stirrups
Novice

Postby no.stirrups » Mon Mar 21, 2016 9:25 pm

Mmmmm. Trader Joe's. [Drooling.] But like you, Minz, I am easily entertained. Every time I go, I mostly buy things because I don't have any idea what they are or what to do with them. Cookie butter is a repeat purchase, though. You might want to have early Christmas shopping in mind. My Dad, for example, likes honey in his tea, so I get him different varieties. If you know anyone who is into hot sauces, they have a whole aisle!

And by the way, while you are at Equine Affaire, look for me and my saddles in the trade show!!!

awa
Novice

Postby awa » Mon Mar 21, 2016 9:29 pm

Triple ginger cookies

KathyK

Postby KathyK » Tue Mar 22, 2016 12:07 am

awa wrote:Triple ginger cookies

Now you've gotten my attention.

heddylamar

Postby heddylamar » Tue Mar 22, 2016 12:55 am

KathyK wrote:
awa wrote:Triple ginger cookies

Now you've gotten my attention.

You've reminded me -- black licorice Scottie dogs!

VBOpie
Herd Member

Postby VBOpie » Tue Mar 22, 2016 1:28 am

We love TJ's organic raisin bran and maple pecan clusters breakfast cereals. Also, their different flavor breakfast bars-fig, apple, etc. TJ's has a really good quinoa and black bean chip, too - and a luscious ready made bavarian chocolate pudding!

StraightForward

Postby StraightForward » Tue Mar 22, 2016 3:13 am

I used to love the place, then we finally got one in Boise and I can't be arsed to go there.

But they do have this really spice trail mix with kaffir lime leaf. That's tasty, but probably not if you don't like HOT.

I used to be a sucker for the cocoa-dusted chocolate covered almonds. Yeah, lots of the candies that come in tubs, usually above the freezer bins. Good stuff there.
Keep calm and canter on.

hoopoe
Herd Member

Postby hoopoe » Tue Mar 22, 2016 1:23 pm

simmer sauces, Indian and Thai
fried plantain chips
Carolina Gold BBQ sauce

so many good frozen things, but it does not sound like that is an option in your situation

bettyk
Greenie

Postby bettyk » Tue Mar 22, 2016 6:39 pm

Maple wrote:They have this soup that comes in wax-paper cartons that is just divine. My favorite is the organic roasted red pepper and tomato soup, another fave is butternut squash, and there's one that corn and pepper too, I think. Whenever I go to TJs I stock up on these, they're great to take to the office in the winter and heat up in the micro for a quick hot lunch.

Bonus is that the calories are very low on all these soups, fabulous for when you are on a diet.

I also love the roasted red pepper and tomato soup! BUT...have you ever tried it with their quattro formaggio cheese sprinkled on the top? To die for!

Minz
Novice

Postby Minz » Tue Mar 22, 2016 9:09 pm

Oh, you guys are killing me!!! This is awesome. Now for cheese, I have a standing date with Grandpa's Cheese Barn, somewhere along the route to Columbus. My friend and I originally stopped because of the crazy name, I mean really... Who calls their business Grampa's Cheese Barn?, but we are going back for the cheese, and everything else that they sell. It was insane, but so much fun, and had samples of just about everything in the store. Two weeks, I can't wait. I just need my stomach to behave and not be sick from chemo the day before we are scheduled to leave. Fingers crossed. Last week I wasn't sick after chemo, so if I make it through this week vomit free, I should be good to travel. Cancer sucks, so I am taking every opportunity to have fun when I am feeling good, like Equine Affaire. I just wish it wasn't quite so long a drive.

No.stirrups, of course I will find you, but how do I find you? Booth#, company name, Please pm me if you don't want to post it here. One of the highlights of my first ever trips to Devon was meeting Om. I love the idea of meeting DDBB people in real life.

no.stirrups
Novice

Postby no.stirrups » Tue Mar 22, 2016 10:49 pm

Absolutely Minz! I was on the road when I posted before so I didn't have the details on me. I'll be in booth #1030 in the Bricker building. My business is The Saddle Tree and I'll have my Black Country, Frank Baines, and Harry Dabbs saddles. I believe there will be only one other business solely focused on English saddles (Schleese) so even if you forget all the details, I should stand out! I can't wait!

Minz
Novice

Postby Minz » Wed Mar 23, 2016 1:02 pm

Fabulous no.stirrups!! My friend and I are hard core shoppers. No wandering around for us. When we go to the Royal, or something like EA we start in one corner of the building and systematically work our way through checking out just about every booth. Schleese is a local business to where I live, and I have many opportunities to see their products and talk to their sales staff. Other than a quick hi, they are one of the few booths that we probably wouldn't bother with. Can't wait to meet you!!

It sounds like TJ's may be good for our lunches. 4 days of food truck lunches may be a bit much for my dodgy stomach. We always hit a supermarket for breakfast stuff and snacks anyhow, particularly if breakfast isn't included with the room.

exploding pony
Novice

Postby exploding pony » Wed Mar 23, 2016 9:38 pm

Blue cheese pecan dip and pita chips - yum!

PaulaO

Postby PaulaO » Thu Mar 24, 2016 8:09 pm

How have I lived without blue cheese pecan dip. That is something that cannot come into my house or I will eat the entire container in an evening!!!!

gypsy still flies
Greenie

Postby gypsy still flies » Fri Mar 25, 2016 5:22 pm

Minz wrote:Lol. I will say though, I couldn't live long term in the states without bringing a case of Ketchup Chips with me. I have no idea why you don't have them. Craziness!!

I don't either. I had a friend with family in Nova Scotia. He would summer up there every year and bring back a case of ketchup potato chips. They're addicting.

chantal
500 post plus club

Postby chantal » Sat Apr 02, 2016 5:38 pm

Creamy Toscano cheese soaked in Syrah. Decent cheeses at reasonable prices, and some sausages too. I usually go there if I'm doing appetizers. Dried fruits and nuts. Many fruits don't have added sugar, we love the dried apples and apricots, and cherries.

The pizza dough and sauce is decent to make homemade pizza in a pinch. I love the chicken andouille sausage. Kirngles are amazing for breakfast (not healthy at all) and I get my buttermilk there, it's the best I've found. I also get their minty bones and chicken breast treats for our dog there.

Return to “The Observation Lounge/ Cookbook Forum even Hot Topics”