Coffee!

Wicky
Herd Member

Coffee!

Postby Wicky » Mon Mar 28, 2016 10:20 pm

My plans for next week (have to go to Portugal tomorrow - drat, no time to buy another horse :lol: ). I am going to roast my own coffee! Bought some green decaffinated beans. I have an old popcorn popper type coffee roaster (bought many moons ago and never did it). Bought a really expensive coffee grinder. I have given up all kinds of sweetener, including no cal, in order to lose the weight I gained when my thyroid gave up the ghost, so really great coffee with cream (yes, Atkins-type diet) will be really wonderful. But I hate almost all coffees - and while reading about coffee on the geek sites, I am finding out why. I found some wonderful coffee in Peru, but haven't had anything like that since.

So, when I return Sunday, I will see what I can do!

AirsAboveNC
Novice

Re: Coffee!

Postby AirsAboveNC » Mon Mar 28, 2016 10:21 pm

My uncle made a roaster himself from an old air popper. Some of the best coffee I ever had.

carpevita
Herd Member

Postby carpevita » Tue Mar 29, 2016 10:55 am

Hmmm I adore a breve latte----no sweetener needed!

M&M
Herd Member

Postby M&M » Tue Mar 29, 2016 12:10 pm

But I'm curious about the part about now knowing why you hate most coffees - tell us why!

Chancellor
Site Admin

Postby Chancellor » Tue Mar 29, 2016 12:33 pm

Wicky, try La Colombe coffee. Their single origin coffees are FANTASTIC!

Racetrackreject
500 post plus club

Postby Racetrackreject » Tue Mar 29, 2016 2:40 pm

Yes, please share with us why you hate most all coffees. I'm wanting to know because I love the way coffee smells. It smells so good, I want to eat it right out of the can, but I have tried to drink it every way imaginable and it's a no go. How can something that smells so incredible taste to bad?? lol

Chisamba
Bringing Life to the DDBB

Postby Chisamba » Tue Mar 29, 2016 3:40 pm

I like ethiopean Yirgacheffe, and Kenyan coffee. I am not sure where you would get it green. but if you can try it at least once

WheresMyWhite
500 post plus club

Postby WheresMyWhite » Tue Mar 29, 2016 3:45 pm

Malawi and Zimbabwe are my personal preferences but they also differ year to year. I also just tried Ethiopian Guji, strong but liked it once I got used to the strong :)

I also add a tsp of cane sugar and heavy whipping cream :D

PaulaO
Bringing Life to the DDBB

Postby PaulaO » Tue Mar 29, 2016 3:56 pm

Please explain the phrase "no time buy another horse....."

Wicky
Herd Member

Postby Wicky » Tue Mar 29, 2016 5:07 pm

Well, according to the free Kindle book I got about coffee and home roasting, the time and temperature is critical - you roast until the "first crack" which I guess is the beginning of exploding beans, and the "second crack" which is when the beans reach a higher temperature and explode some more :?: and then you cool them down, and let them de-gas (give off gas) for 24 hours or so (but decaf beans do not need to de-gas), and then they are good for up to seven days when stored properly - no humidity, no oxygen, and you should grind right before you make the coffee. So how many times can you go to the specialty coffee store to get coffee that has just been roasted the previous day? And drink it within the week? Most coffee has hung around for a while before you buy it so it is not optimal. When I lived in Seattle I used to drive past the Starbucks facility and it always smelled of burnt coffee. Hated that.

So since I cannot buy coffee every other day, I do not have wonderful coffee. Even the Illy, which is what I have been ordering, is not as good as really good coffee.

As to "no time to buy another horse" - :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: I will NOT give myself time to see another horse!

M&M
Herd Member

Postby M&M » Tue Mar 29, 2016 11:38 pm

Green coffee beans can be bought at a wonderful coffee store in Keene, NH.

https://primeroast.wordpress.com/

chantal
500 post plus club

Postby chantal » Sat Apr 02, 2016 4:30 pm

So let us know if you unexpectedly found time to buy another horse... :)

I am very picky about coffee and buy counter culture coffee at our local shop to use at home. I may have to take up roasting coffee though with some changes coming... I have a friend who roasts coffee and it's amazing. He buys green beans in bulk online I believe. And he is very picky. He has a roaster.

I'm interested to hear how this turns out.

PNG_Pony
Herd Member

Postby PNG_Pony » Sat Apr 02, 2016 9:35 pm

The language group I work with grows and roasts its own coffee to sell locally to support language development and local widows or families in need. It's been a fascinating learning curve as we've been learning the ins and outs of roasting, especially because I'm not a coffee drinker! (We only started this small business a year or so go). Our first coffee huller was made from old air conditioning and washing machine parts! Have fun!

AirsAboveNC
Novice

Postby AirsAboveNC » Sat Apr 02, 2016 10:10 pm

Wicky wrote:Well, according to the free Kindle book I got about coffee and home roasting

Please share the info about this book.

Wicky
Herd Member

Postby Wicky » Sun Apr 03, 2016 8:46 pm

http://smile.amazon.com/COFFEE-ROASTING ... ext&sr=1-1

Just got back from Portugal, no new horse in my carry-on (or anywhere else, thank you!) So sometime this week, I will venture into the world of coffee roasting. I hope!

Return to “The Observation Lounge/ Cookbook Forum even Hot Topics”