Help me find my new horse?

Imperini
Herd Member

Help me find my new horse?

Postby Imperini » Thu Mar 31, 2016 12:20 pm

VHS! Are you ready shoppers?

Talked DH into it and I am officially looking! woohoo! It's a little bit scary I have to admit, since it's been eight years since I've owned and back then I was at the same barn for almost 10 yrs, but I will adjust and manage I'm sure.

I am trying not to be in a hurry because I would like to find a horse that will stay with me for a while, and I also am being realistic that my location and budget limitations may make things take longer. Here's what I'm looking for:

- Age preference is 7 - 14 yrs old, a little older for a well trained horse would be ok too but middle of that range would be perfect
- Mare or gelding is fine, preference for geldings but I usually get along with both so it's not a huge deal
- A sturdy 15h - 17h but 15.2h - 16.2h is ideal, I'm not tiny so 15h is pushing it but giants at 17h might scare me :lol:
- No real breed preference, but nothing willowy. I'd love a warmblood or wb cross but being realistic about my budget.
- Here's the most important part.. super sane! I am a nervous person in general, I spook easily and a lot, if I were a horse I would drive you insane. So that being said a spooky horse just won't do it for me. I also have some physical issues that make horsey acrobatics extremely undesirable, not that they're desirable in the first place, but if they happen for me I'm probably coming off because I just can't follow unexpected acrobatics easily.
- Some dressage training, the more the better, with potential to move up. Not looking for an FEI horse because I'm realistic (wouldn't complain about one either) but would still like some potential to move up the levels a bit. A horse that's not afraid to do a little jumping here and there would be nice too.
- For location I'd prefer to stay in Ontario (within 4 hours of Toronto area) though Michigan or New York if they're close to the border wouldn't be out of the question.
- Budget .. dun dun dun.. my nemesis.. lol .. prefer to stay under 10k CAD, could probably manage a little wiggle room for something exceptional

Hopefully that wasn't too wordy and this will be fun!

PaulaO
Bringing Life to the DDBB

Re: Help me find my new horse?

Postby PaulaO » Thu Mar 31, 2016 1:09 pm

My gosh, we could be twins (except I'm not actively looking). Please keep us posted. Most important thing--what color????? LOL

Imperini
Herd Member

Postby Imperini » Thu Mar 31, 2016 1:33 pm

Oh yeah forgot about color. Definite bonus points for spots, pinto or appy variety both. Orrr black to match my cat and dog lol.

Chisamba

Postby Chisamba » Thu Mar 31, 2016 1:44 pm

I was very excited to read the first post, where no color was mentioned. I was like, " yay, a person who knows color is the last thing on the list !!"

i was very excited when Quelah bought a pinto, despite herself, lol.

okay, i am happily going to vhs

Josette

Postby Josette » Thu Mar 31, 2016 3:36 pm

Maybe this guy is still available. He looks like a sweet sane horse IMO.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7RXBu6RFzYU

Imperini
Herd Member

Postby Imperini » Thu Mar 31, 2016 3:47 pm

Josette wrote:Maybe this guy is still available. He looks like a sweet sane horse IMO.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7RXBu6RFzYU

Haha I remember and liked him, I hunted down his original ad after TR_Teacher decided to pass on him but it's gone now

PaulaO

Postby PaulaO » Thu Mar 31, 2016 4:15 pm

I think Legend had some soreness issues so you may have passed on him.

PaulaO

Postby PaulaO » Thu Mar 31, 2016 4:17 pm

TeresaB
Greenie

Postby TeresaB » Thu Mar 31, 2016 6:45 pm

A 12 yr old AQHA gelding with a temperament rating of 1. He's 16.2 and in Petrolia. Not really dressage-y though.

Oops, just did the currency conversion and he would be $11,000 CAN.

Oh gawd, oops again. I watched the video. Yikes. I'll keep looking.

http://www.dreamhorse.com/ad/1982151.html

Mareless
Herd Member

Postby Mareless » Thu Mar 31, 2016 8:00 pm

TeresaB wrote:A 12 yr old AQHA gelding with a temperament rating of 1. He's 16.2 and in Petrolia. Not really dressage-y though.

Oops, just did the currency conversion and he would be $11,000 CAN.

Oh gawd, oops again. I watched the video. Yikes. I'll keep looking.

http://www.dreamhorse.com/ad/1982151.html

LOL, I clicked on the video and thought you must be a day early for making an April Fool's joke. That horse is definitely not dressage-y.

TeresaB
Greenie

Postby TeresaB » Thu Mar 31, 2016 8:20 pm

Yep, idiot here. :-)
I based my not dressage-y comment on the description in the ad. Then, I watched the video. The first seconds of the video I thought something was really wrong with the horse and it must be injured. Then when it started to jog I realized the first painful seconds was the walk. That is messed up.

VBOpie
Herd Member

Postby VBOpie » Thu Mar 31, 2016 8:51 pm

PaulaO's suggestion is exactly what I am looking for! If only he was in the mid-Atlantic/Virginia area!

PhoenixRising
500 post plus club

Postby PhoenixRising » Thu Mar 31, 2016 9:29 pm

I'm not familiar with this website, but it came up when googling for horses for sale in Ontario. Doesn't say her age, but she looks cute.
http://www.equinenow.com/horse-ad-1064133

I'm not sure on the temperament on this one, but also looks interesting.
http://www.equinenow.com/horse-ad-1069234
Go confidently in the direction of your dreams, live the life you've imagined!

Imperini
Herd Member

Postby Imperini » Thu Mar 31, 2016 11:27 pm

Ahhhh the pony crosses! I love them! Inquiring on the gelding though I'm a little worried he'll make my butt look big. The Welsh cross is 17 though, it shows in the pedigree section :(

Though she's lovely to look at the mare with the 5/10 temperament scares me (because I'm easily frightened)

Western pleasure.. hmmmmm now there's an idea (kidding!)

Josette

Postby Josette » Fri Apr 01, 2016 12:06 am

PhoenixRising
500 post plus club

Postby PhoenixRising » Fri Apr 01, 2016 1:14 am

Imperini wrote:Ahhhh the pony crosses! I love them! Inquiring on the gelding though I'm a little worried he'll make my butt look big. The Welsh cross is 17 though, it shows in the pedigree section :(

Though she's lovely to look at the mare with the 5/10 temperament scares me (because I'm easily frightened)

Aaah. The pedigree section. Would have made sense for me to look there, huh.

Yeah, I hesitated at the 5/10 too, but I think its also a somewhat relative number so I would be curious anyway lol.
Go confidently in the direction of your dreams, live the life you've imagined!

PaulaO

Postby PaulaO » Fri Apr 01, 2016 12:32 pm

I don't think the gelding will make your butt look big, and even if it does, who cares???? Please let me know what you think of him. I'd snap him up if I were closer. I'm not into jumping, but he sure is a cutie and could easily make a nice dressage hony.

Hayburner

Postby Hayburner » Fri Apr 01, 2016 3:46 pm

My dear you are In horse country - put some feelers out and some wanted signs up in the tack and feed stores. Fingers crossed that the right one comes along.

I am the same type of rider as you (which btw- I hate being like this)-unfortunately, my new horse is a bit quick for me and more than I can handle w/o my trainer..but, I plan to stick with her and hope it all works out for us.

Josette

Postby Josette » Fri Apr 01, 2016 9:09 pm

Have you considered leasing a horse that is good for lessons? It might help you build your confidence, seat, skills while you are looking.

Imperini
Herd Member

Postby Imperini » Fri Apr 01, 2016 11:05 pm

Josette wrote:Have you considered leasing a horse that is good for lessons? It might help you build your confidence, seat, skills while you are looking.

I part board a horse now that nearly fits my description except he's a bit older and not for sale, he's super awesome so now I want one of my own :D

orono
Herd Member

Postby orono » Sat Apr 02, 2016 2:33 am

^Oh Good!! I was going to start a post asking if you've been riding during your ownership 'hiatus' and if not it might be a good idea to get back in the saddle first, before buying. I still have friends in that area, so will keep my eyes open for you.

Helygen
Greenie

Postby Helygen » Sat Apr 02, 2016 12:15 pm

I am selling my gelding. He's coming 8 years old, Canadian Warmblood (3/4 warmblood x 1/4 TB). He's 16.3 and solid as a tank. He's bay with no white markings. He is located in Avonmore, ON (SE of Ottawa) so a bit more than your 4 hours but still no cross border shopping (or currency exchange!) required.

He's currently in professional training to get him fit and ready to sell (has been since Feb) - he was leased last summer by a 14 year old girl that wanted to make him into a hunter. Because he doesn't totally get the jumping thing (it's comical), she quit leasing him so he had the winter off. He has WTC, SI, LY, and low jumping experience. He's UTD on farrier, teeth, vacs and deworming. He's awesome to trailer - he's been on long distance trips as well as short and he just walks onto the trailer.

You mentioned sane, right? He is not spooky in the slightest - case in point, when he was 2 a deer crashed through his field in a blind panic due to a tree branch caught in it's antlers. All the other horses panicked; my gelding watched for a couple of seconds then went back to mugging me for cookies. He's seen crop dusters, trains, tractors, bears, moose, etc. and it's no big deal. If he doesn't get ridden all the time, he gets super lazy. Not resistant to work as he will happily go to work if you ask him; the key is that you have to ask him or he'll happily stand in the middle of the ring and have a snooze! Definitely more whoa than go when out of work. :) And acrobatics are pretty much too much effort.

I'm going out to watch his session with the trainer today so I'll try to get some video. If you are interested you can PM me or just shoot me an email directly to emma [at] ewejump [dot] com.

Pool noodles (sorry for the size and crappy quality - old phone):

KathyK

Postby KathyK » Sat Apr 02, 2016 12:35 pm

^^^^^ !!!!!

demi

Postby demi » Sat Apr 02, 2016 4:53 pm

^^^^ also agreee. He looks and sounds special. 16.3 is on the tall side of what you want, but if he really is not spooky, it could work??

Imperini
Herd Member

Postby Imperini » Thu Apr 07, 2016 11:41 pm

What do you all think of this guy?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kYM8Ut3ZjaY

I'm really not quite sure what to think as he's cute but the video is squished and all that counter bend at the canter.. but still cute

Chisamba

Postby Chisamba » Thu Apr 07, 2016 11:57 pm

do you have more information on him, is he a baby? was his rider a beginner, i ask because although i am not averse to riders being in a vest, it worries me that they might have been afraid he would buck.

that said, he looks a bit green, if he is not green, then i would worry about his tendency to pull his head down, and her tendency to pull the outside rein, counter bending him

he looks quite cobby, ie, well boned but short backed, and I thought his trot, although not ridden forward, looked like it had lots of room to stride out. i would have liked to see what he did with a loose rein.

orono
Herd Member

Postby orono » Fri Apr 08, 2016 12:42 am

I would like to see him ridden in an arena without a bunch of stuff used for 'steering'..

eta, what levels of dressage are you realistically looking to do?

Imperini
Herd Member

Postby Imperini » Fri Apr 08, 2016 1:01 am

He's 12 yrs old and advertised as well schooled on the flat and over fences. I am pretty sure the rider is a beginner and was thinking most of what I am concerned about with him could be attributed to the rider. There were a few videos of other horses from the same place where the riders were in vests so I don't think that's too concerning.

It does look like this is a camp/trail riding place that has a lot of horses come and go so I am not terribly impressed with that. Still might be worth a look, he's just a couple of hours away, but wanted some other opinions on him as well.

I'm currently on the fence about whether I should actually do this or not. One part of me thinks I should get back on track to correct my physical issues (hip problems that could possibly/probably be corrected with surgery), save some more to increase my budget, and eventually aim for a horse for higher level work. Another part of me would be happy with a horse that could do 1st/2nd level work and be extremely sane and safe, and this guy was aimed at that part of me. I feel so wishy washy and indecisive :( I think either way I would end up happy, they both end with horse after all, but one way is a significantly longer path.

Chisamba

Postby Chisamba » Fri Apr 08, 2016 1:31 am

a friends husband recently posted "my horsey wife had surgery and will not be riding for a while, please pray for me,"

i get grumpy when i do not ride, so for me, the horse sooner would be better than the horse later, however, you are you, and need to may you happy

M&M
Herd Member

Postby M&M » Sat Apr 09, 2016 12:49 pm

I'm not wanting to put either of you on the spot, but I'm assuming you and Helygen PMed and it didn't work out? I would hate to have you not check out her horse because of his size. I'm not looking for details about why you don't want him!

Imperini
Herd Member

Postby Imperini » Sat Apr 09, 2016 1:23 pm

M&M wrote:I'm not wanting to put either of you on the spot, but I'm assuming you and Helygen PMed and it didn't work out? I would hate to have you not check out her horse because of his size. I'm not looking for details about why you don't want him!

Yes, I spoke with her and decided he was just a bit young and a bit big for what I am looking for, but he certainly is a very lovely boy!

Josette

Postby Josette » Sat Apr 09, 2016 3:13 pm

IMO - when you see an advertisement or video it should make you excited and motivated to visit that particular horse. If no bells are ringing then I say pass. There are so many available horses so take your time searching. Ever watch that TV show 'Say Yes to the Dress' - review your priorities for size, safety, soundness and in addition to you clicking with the right horse. It is after all about a partnership. :)

Imperini
Herd Member

Postby Imperini » Mon Oct 31, 2016 12:32 pm

Ok I had mostly put this search on the back burner, but I saw this one last night and I really like her

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JOOR3UW8uKs

Comments?

PaulaO

Postby PaulaO » Mon Oct 31, 2016 1:16 pm

I'm shallow enough to buy her on her face alone. I'm sure there are Morgan peeps here who can give you the lowdown on her breeding (assuming you would get to see her papers). Morgans can be either high as kites (yes, I've known several) or down to earth wonderful (see Denny Emerson's public FB page). Definitely check her out.

Josette

Postby Josette » Mon Oct 31, 2016 2:04 pm

This is a very cute mare being ridden by a very tactful, balanced and sensitive rider. The rider is wonderful IMO. However, I would wonder how this mare might go with a greener rider or more nervous rider. I'm guessing this is a younger or green horse and is being ridden by her trainer. (ok - I just read she is age 6.) Also as a Morgan she is much smaller than a WB type or even a QH type. She looks lovely for the right rider.

calvin
Herd Member

Postby calvin » Mon Oct 31, 2016 3:05 pm

Love Morgans! Some are hot, some are not . . . but this one is SO pretty!

Also have a look at this gal - sounds sane and sensible and priced right due to the issue as noted by the seller: [url]http://www.warmblood-sales.com/HorseDetail.asp?HorseID=36846&UserID=14491/url]

redsoxluvr
Herd Member

Postby redsoxluvr » Tue Nov 01, 2016 5:00 am

I am sad to report that bomb proof horses are a myth. Even the best trained, most reliable horse can become frightened by something. You as the rider need to be able to deal with what the horse does. If you persist in looking for some equid saint that will stand calmly in cannon fire you will be always end up being disappointed. I know of someone who is now on her third attempt at finding her equid saint without ever really dealing with the real issue - her.

For you, I would reach out to your local mounted police departments. Ask them if they offer desensitization training classes. This way, you can take whatever horse you end up with through the training and end up with exactly what you need. Working through the exercises together will teach you the handler how to deal with how the horse responds to whatever challenges it. One of our young horses was purchased by a BNT in CA and they put this very sensitive, explosive youngster through a course run by the police department. It included crowd control, desensitization, the whole shebang. He ended up becoming a super GP horse for the lady, and far more importantly was safe and rideable.

Imperini
Herd Member

Postby Imperini » Tue Nov 01, 2016 12:13 pm

Thanks for the comments on the little mare. The rider in the video is said to be 5'11" and I'm much shorter than that so I think height wise she'll be fine. Having had an Arab (sadly not a sane one) and a Saddlebred in the past I think it's very important that I also try out the above Morgan :D Of course this one hasn't been doing saddleseat which my other two did before I got them so that's a bonus. I've been chatting with the current owner and she still sounds just as lovely as I thought when I first saw her so I am going to go see her.. woohoo!

I should also clarify I'm not expecting to find a bombproof horse, although I have ridden at least one horse that I would designate as such, she just didn't care much about anything and I don't think in the years that I rode her that she ever spooked. What I am looking for is a horse that's not going to spook because a butterfly flapped its wings in another country. I spook at legit scary things too, that's okay. What I am looking for is a horse that's not going to end up in the next county because there was something scary. The saddlebred mare I had was not bombproof but her spook was to either rubber band around the scary thing to give herself a liiiiittle extra room, or stick her lovely giraffe neck as high as she could and puff at it. This is what I'm looking for.

Tuddy
500 post plus club

Postby Tuddy » Tue Nov 01, 2016 1:55 pm

www.canadianhorselink.com

Check out Petra's ad under the mares for sale. I personally know the owner, have clinic'd with her and this mare will have a solid base on her. I do know that the owner does have some youtube videos available to watch as well. Owner is also a student of Ecole de Legerete.

Here is her owner's website as well:

http://www.levaahoclassicalhorsemanship.com/index.html

And shipping from BC to Ontario is not that over the top cost wise. I know when I shipped my Tuddy from Quebec to Saskatchewan, it was a drop in the bucket compared to the rest of the sale.

Good Luck and Happy Shopping!

Backyarder3
Novice

Postby Backyarder3 » Wed Nov 09, 2016 2:09 am

Quelah
Herd Member

Postby Quelah » Wed Nov 09, 2016 3:17 am

Chisamba wrote:I was very excited to read the first post, where no color was mentioned. I was like, " yay, a person who knows color is the last thing on the list !!"

i was very excited when Quelah bought a pinto, despite herself, lol.

okay, i am happily going to vhs

LOL! His base color is black and he does have narrow blaze so technically he's got 4 whites and a narrow blaze. All kidding aside though, he's seeming to be a lovely horse that I would adore in any color. His personality is "just right". Fingers crossed he is to ride like he is to live with.

Imperini
Herd Member

Postby Imperini » Wed Nov 09, 2016 1:18 pm

I won't buy a horse without being able to see it, for me having even a little bit of interaction is an important part of making a decision.

If anyone is wondering sadly I didn't end up going to look at the little Morgan mare I posted above. I arranged to go see her but she ended up being sold before I even got the chance.

Instead I went to see another mare and she's really quite lovely, I enjoyed riding her, and she has a super fun canter. I have video of me riding her but I'm not going to post it here since she's not my horse and it's me riding her (PM if you want to offer an opinion). We shall see what happens here! Exciting times :)

Imperini
Herd Member

Postby Imperini » Mon Nov 14, 2016 7:50 pm

PPE Thursday .. where's the bitey fingernail smiley? :D

PaulaO

Postby PaulaO » Tue Nov 15, 2016 1:25 am

Fingers crossed. At least tell us what color she is!

Snork
Herd Member

Postby Snork » Tue Nov 15, 2016 2:14 am

How did it go?

Chisamba

Postby Chisamba » Tue Nov 15, 2016 6:50 am

Wish u luck

StraightForward

Postby StraightForward » Tue Nov 15, 2016 3:28 pm

Fingers crossed for you!
Keep calm and canter on.

Imperini
Herd Member

Postby Imperini » Tue Nov 15, 2016 5:24 pm

Thank you! I'm finding myself very impatient but I guess after waiting this long for the right one to come along I can wait a little bit longer. I did take a some time to decide on whether to move forward with a PPE simply because I want to make sure I am making the right decision. I had some reviews of the video I took the first time I went to see her and since I can be timid as well as it being the first time riding her she was a bit behind my leg and not on the aids. Not her fault, I didn't ask so I didn't get. So I went back with the video review comments in mind, pulled her right out of the pasture so I could get a good idea of how she is from start to finish, and found that if I ask I get and that I still very much enjoyed her. She did get tired toward the end of the ride and try to curl behind the contact as an avoidance but that was the worst she did.

As for color she has polka dots, so I will be sure to stand out!

piedmontfields

Postby piedmontfields » Mon Nov 21, 2016 9:51 pm

So, is the polka dotted horse the one? Inquiring minds want to know... :-)

Imperini
Herd Member

Postby Imperini » Mon Nov 21, 2016 11:05 pm

What a slacker I am not updating this post, I've been busy arranging for her to come home :D Don't worry I will definitely give her a proper introduction after she gets here Saturday

Return to “The Observation Lounge/ Cookbook Forum even Hot Topics”