The Bath Tub

Koolkat
500 post plus club

The Bath Tub

Postby Koolkat » Mon Apr 04, 2016 3:43 am

How do you feel about this apparatus? We're going to redo the bathroom off the master bedroom and I'm contemplating getting rid of the Jacuzzi in there and replacing it with a large "open" (there would be some glass walls) shower. It would have a seat in it so would have an "age in place" quality to it. There is now a tiny shower in the room (for use before getting in the Jacuzzi, that area would be folded in to a good size closet to make it more of a closet/dressing area). The house also has another full bathroom (typical bath/shower combo) which is in the shared area of the other bedrooms, so there would be a full bathroom for children, guests, etc.

That reconfiguration would suit us, we never use the Jacuzzi (or bathtub) and are shower and go types. My concern is for resale. The bath/shower combo is the most usual configuration and not one that "surprise" anyone. The very nice large shower might be attractive and some might love it, but I worry we would be narrowing our "audience" even further than we already are with a farm resale.

Any thoughts? How much would you miss your "personal" bathtub?

Moutaineer
Bringing Life to the DDBB

Re: The Bath Tub

Postby Moutaineer » Mon Apr 04, 2016 4:05 am

We got rid of our master bath tub and have never missed it.

You know, do you really want to compromise your own comfort and happiness in pursuit of an eventual resale?

If someone wants the property, is the lack of a bathtub in the master going to be a real stumbling block?

Niki
Greenie

Postby Niki » Mon Apr 04, 2016 4:23 am

I used to have a spa bath...lucky to use it once a year.
We opted to put a double shower in our ensuite and a larger than average very rectangular steep sided bath with a shower over it in the main bathroom. It allowed both options and easier if kids are here.

Minz
Novice

Postby Minz » Mon Apr 04, 2016 6:45 am

So many people I know have taken out their master bathtub and replaced it with a high end shower. If you make the shower really nice, I don't think it will affect your resale prospects at all. With an aging population, showers are far more desirable than baths. You already have a bath elsewhere in the house for your resale prospects, so, definitely don't worry, and go ahead and create your dream shower. Buyers will love it as much as you do. Fwiw, I have a seat in my shower, and it is the best thing ever. After I had surgery, the homecare nurses were thrilled at the setup which was so much safer than a tub, and although I don't use it all the time, it is great for safely shaving legs and washing toes;-)

boots-aregard
Herd Member

Postby boots-aregard » Mon Apr 04, 2016 7:46 am

As long as the house has a bath tub in another bathroom, I say go with the shower.

heddylamar

Postby heddylamar » Mon Apr 04, 2016 12:19 pm

Large walk in shower.

Unless you're planning to sell in the next few years, go with what you want. You live there, not some potential buyer.

We have a jacuzzi tub, second house with one. It's been used as a bathtub two or three times in nearly 10 years. The previous one was used about the same.

The new house we're eventually building will have a large walk-in shower with double showerheads, and space to eventually add a permanent seat, if we want.

piedmontfields

Postby piedmontfields » Mon Apr 04, 2016 1:17 pm

We have a giant ocean of a jacuzzi tub. It is simply too large to be useful or work well in a large bath layout, although I do use it a few times a month as I like to soak. We plan to update the bath with a larger shower and a smaller free standing tub. I'd say go with just a big shower with a bench.

Kelo
Herd Member

Postby Kelo » Mon Apr 04, 2016 2:46 pm

I say big shower.

We have a walk-in shower. It's not huge, per se, but it is roomy enough, perfect and I loooooooooooove it. I love it so much, I show it to people when I give house tours. :lol: In my old house I had a traditional tub-with-shower, and this walk-in is just awesome.

We also put in a separate whirlpool tub, just because there was space. I've used it once and don't plan to ever use it again. It's a waste of space. Maybe the house's next owner will like it one day? Or otherwise it will literally spend its useful life collecting dust. *shrug*

But if one had to pick, I'd pick the shower without hesitation. The next owner can put in a tub themselves if they like it that much.

WheresMyWhite
500 post plus club

Postby WheresMyWhite » Mon Apr 04, 2016 2:52 pm

I replaced my soaker tub with a higher end tiled, walk-in shower with 2 heads (albeit small as the master bathroom was 8'x8' :eek: and no way to expand).

Never missed the tub (and at almost 6' didn't come close to fitting in it).

Go for the nice shower!

Hayburner

Postby Hayburner » Mon Apr 04, 2016 3:59 pm

I did put an air tub in my new house - but, rarely use it. The 2nd floor has a tiny tub/shower combo, used only when guest come.

I would probably frown on a house that did not have a tub in the master bath - but, that's only because it's what I'm use to.
To make your shower more inviting - put in a steam shower. That would help on resale. I put one in and I do use it occasionally. It's great when you have a cold.... I prefer it over my air tube.

Tarlo Farm
500 post plus club

Postby Tarlo Farm » Mon Apr 04, 2016 4:15 pm

As an active, healthy 58 yo with a broken leg, I say go for the shower, with a handheld option and a built-in seat. :roll:

DJR
500 post plus club

Postby DJR » Mon Apr 04, 2016 4:21 pm

I'm the contrarian here, but no surprise as I have a bath ALL THE TIME and only use the shower once in a blue moon (e.g., after putting up hay!). LOVE MY BATHS!!

It's a minus in my books if there isn't a decent, deep bath tub in a place I'm looking to buy. I don't like renovating so it does factor in to my final decision. But, I do still agree with what others have said that you need to put your own comfort first and not worry about resale unless that's pending in the near future.
formerly known as "Deanna" on UDBB -- and prior to that, as "DJD".

Tarlo Farm
500 post plus club

Postby Tarlo Farm » Tue Apr 05, 2016 1:59 pm

I have to add that I have a deep, wonderful bathtub with an old-fashioned type shower head arrangement. Fortunately, the handicap bath chair is adjustable at it's highest point, to the edge of the tub. She's got a tub elsewhere in the house.

Chisamba

Postby Chisamba » Wed Apr 06, 2016 9:54 am

Ivexpect a tub preferably with jets in the master. However are you planning to move soon? Bathrooms date quickly and is something you will probably update for resale when you need to sell if it's at least a decade away.

angela9823
Herd Member

Postby angela9823 » Wed Apr 06, 2016 3:28 pm

Very timely. We've just added 2100 square feet to our home - this is including a four car heated garage though. The whole upstairs is a master suite. I hate tubs!! So we are doing a very sizeable shower with three shower heads and a seat. But I have built it with resell in mind. We have two other bathrooms that do have tubs. And this can easily be retrofitted with a tub or have a claw tub installed in the middle. Possibly think about that? Maybe design it so it would be very easy to add a tub with slight modifications? With ours, we could take down the 18 inch wall on the front side that has glass, take out the glass too and easily put a tub for a wet room area. It would possibly be a day's work only doing the modification. The way it is setup, there would be no sheet rock work a new owner would have to do to accommodate it either unless they took down the tile. They'd have to clean up behind that area.

Canyon
500 post plus club

Postby Canyon » Wed Apr 06, 2016 10:45 pm

Water is precious in the southwest; I think baths are a waste of water. Besides, just when I get relaxed in a bath, the water gets uncomfortably cool. We do have a nice hot tub outside that we keep very clean and rarely needs a water change. I enjoy a good soak in our hot tub - the water temperature barely fluctuates, lots of seats and jets to work on achy muscles, and a nice view!

Our master suite has a big shower with double shower heads and a seat; the bathroom down the hall has a tub and shower.

Rhianon
Herd Member

Postby Rhianon » Thu Apr 07, 2016 5:15 pm

Shower. As long as there is one tub in the house, you're fine.

I love a long soak in deep, hot water. But that's what the hot tub is for.

Kyra's Mom
500 post plus club

Postby Kyra's Mom » Fri Apr 08, 2016 5:29 am

I am glad you posted this. I too have the monster tub in the master. I haven't used it in almost 2 years and don't ever plan to. I have used the regular tub in the guest BR I think about 3 times so far. That large tube is such a frivolous a waste of water (also desert area with disappearing aquifers :cry: ). I am not a bath person. Now I do enjoy my floats at the float center. Giant tub filled with skin temp water with magnesium sulfate which allows you to float. Total relaxation :D .
I already have a nice shower and the tub is underneath a window so I'm not sure about moving the shower area but, I could sure use that large space for something else. Right now, the edge of the tub holds my clothes (yes, highly organized and attractive...NOT) and the cats occasionally use the tub to play in :roll: .

My sister's fancy new (3 years ago) condo was built with only a shower in the master. Guest bathroom has a nice tub. So, I think as long as there is a tub in the house you should be good...All the units in her development were snapped up in short order.

Susan

Tabby
Herd Member

Postby Tabby » Sun Apr 10, 2016 10:56 pm

Agree with all those regarding a large walk-in shower. With a seat - so you can shave your legs in comfort. We bought our current house because of it's beautiful walk-in shower with seat. I love it! However, please take into account a few things.

The main thing: do you have another bathtub in the house? Our house has one in the en-suite of the master bedroom. When we first moved in, DSD was still more comfortable with baths than showers and it meant she was bathing basically in my room (I was left with the wet floors, towels etc.) until she got a little older. Not a big deal or anything but it did make me question the previous owner's decision to take out the main bath tub and not the en-suite. Also, my brother bought a house with one of those giant 2-person jacuzzi tubs and a tiny shower stall. Eventually, he and his wife had a child and they had to put in a bathtub in the basement bathroom. In other words, a house MUST have a bathtub - a regular one - if it is going to be livable for families. (I'm thinking ahead to selling in the future).

On the flip side, my elderly mother can't possibly get herself into a tub if she tried. The walk-in shower has been great for her when she visits. She really only comes overnight at Christmas time but it has been a blessing. And I DEFINITELY wouldn't want her coming into my bedroom for a shower.

I think you have to look at your house layout, who your family members are, how long you expect to stay there and who might eventually buy it after you.

Return to “The Observation Lounge/ Cookbook Forum even Hot Topics”