I think I'm getting too old for weddings

TeresaA
Herd Member

I think I'm getting too old for weddings

Postby TeresaA » Tue Apr 05, 2016 8:49 pm

DH's nephew is getting married and we're invited. I wasn't so keen on spending my vacation in Calgary in April at a family event but told him to go ahead. A few discussions later and we decide that we'll both go and after the wedding head south to Arizona for a week. Now that sounds more like it. So we book our flights and return the RSVP for the wedding. It's in Emerald Lake, BC (in the mountains a few hours from Calgary).

I go shopping and buy a dress (red, faux wrap dress, I refused to buy black) and a pair of pumps (my other dress shoes were so old that they were falling apart). I look at the weather it's going to be in the low teens to high twenties while we're there (low teens in the mountains). I tell DH that I am just brining a spring jacket so that I don't have to lug a heavy winter coat over half the continent. I can bring a spring jacket and be comfortable.

I'm excited for the trip- between work stress and my mother's death a few weeks away seems like just the ticket.

Today DH sends me a text (he was visiting his sister, mother of the groom). 'you might want to bring your heavy coat- the wedding is outside'

:shock: um. what?

I figure he's joking. Because who in their right mind plans an outdoor wedding in the mountains, in Canada, in APRIL??

, He's not joking. And it wasn't in the invite. I checked. Fine I text. But I'm not bringing my coat. And I'm not ruining my new shoes traipsing through mud. So if it's cold I will wear my jeans to the wedding and change for the reception. Unless it's a pig roast or something outside.

He thinks I'm joking but I'm really not. I have no interest in standing in a light dress, pantyhose and pumps while the cold arctic wind blows up my skirt so that two people can pledge their love in the outdoors. In april. In Canada. Even with a coat it will be cold.

I'm tired of weddings. I think people are getting carried away. So I will go and smile. In my jeans. And probably create a scandal.

I really hope that there's an open bar.

Suzon
Herd Member

Re: I think I'm getting too old for weddings

Postby Suzon » Tue Apr 05, 2016 9:18 pm

Get down with yer bad self. I totally agree.

orono
Herd Member

Postby orono » Tue Apr 05, 2016 9:53 pm

Emerald lake is one of the most beautiful places on earth. There is also no shortage of shopping opportunities in Banff and Lake Louse, on your way there. I hope you can enjoy the trip.

PaulaO
Bringing Life to the DDBB

Postby PaulaO » Wed Apr 06, 2016 12:25 am

I'm totally on your side. I think you should dress like Nanook of the North.

Chisamba

Postby Chisamba » Wed Apr 06, 2016 12:33 am

Weddings are for those getting married. I would like to be warm myself, dress pants, warm boots and a nice blazer would be my choice. I would not want to detract from the bridal party.

That said my niece just got married and I could not afford to go. It would have been nice to see family and join the celebration.

It has nothing to do with age..... Lol.

Chancellor
Site Admin

Postby Chancellor » Wed Apr 06, 2016 12:46 pm

Hopefully the view will be like Mountaineer posted in her thread the Big Move and you will be so distracted by the scenery you won't mind the cold?

Several years ago, I went to a funeral that was held outside in December. I dressed up and my feet froze. It was sooooo painful after that while my feet thawed. I don't blame you for not wanting to wear pumps and hose outside in the freezing cold.

kande50

Postby kande50 » Wed Apr 06, 2016 12:53 pm

PaulaO wrote:I'm totally on your side. I think you should dress like Nanook of the North.

I'd probably wear something decent underneath in case it warmed up and I wanted to remove a few layers, but my outerwear would be substantial because I hate being cold, and it takes a lot of layers to stay warm when I'm just standing around.

amygdala
Herd Member

Postby amygdala » Wed Apr 06, 2016 1:46 pm

i'm with kande50! if you don't want to carry a lot of winter stuff when heading south, send the jackets etc home after the wedding. also, might want to find out what the bride & groom are planning to wear --just to know how nuts they are!

boots-aregard
Herd Member

Postby boots-aregard » Wed Apr 06, 2016 3:11 pm

What size shoes do you wear? I actually have a pair of shearling lined boots -- dressy, with heels! -- that keep me toasty in cold weather, of which we have little here in California. I can send them your way.

PaulaO

Postby PaulaO » Wed Apr 06, 2016 3:19 pm

boots-aregard wrote:What size shoes do you wear? I actually have a pair of shearling lined boots -- dressy, with heels! -- that keep me toasty in cold weather, of which we have little here in California. I can send them your way.

Hence your user name--boots!

TeresaA
Herd Member

Postby TeresaA » Wed Apr 06, 2016 7:09 pm

boots-aregard wrote:What size shoes do you wear? I actually have a pair of shearling lined boots -- dressy, with heels! -- that keep me toasty in cold weather, of which we have little here in California. I can send them your way.

oh that is sweet. If I wasn't heading south after I would just bring warm stuff but don't want to be over burdened. I will see what the day holds. hopefully the reception is indoors and I can wear the red dress. It's the first dressy thing I've bought in a long time.

Tuddy
500 post plus club

Postby Tuddy » Wed Apr 06, 2016 11:19 pm

I was in the mountains (Banff) May long weekend one year. It was blizzard-ing.

I work in Regina, Saskatchewan and this was the weather today - when I left work, snow on the ground and had to scrape my windshield. Mid morning, was a down pour of rain with some hail, now we have sun and it is melting everywhere. And it is windy as hell today too.

This past Saturday was 22°C/72°F, today is around 10°F/51°F.

I

orono
Herd Member

Postby orono » Thu Apr 07, 2016 1:15 am

Bring warm stuff and then mail it back to your home address before leaving Canada.

pawsplus
Herd Member

Postby pawsplus » Thu Apr 07, 2016 11:01 am

I'm so over them. My step brother is getting married (2nd time around) next weekend. Sooooo not looking forward to it. I don't have to go far (wouldn't go if I did!), but it ruins my one day off during the week. At least it's been determined (though it was not in the invite) that we're not to bring gifts (he's wealthy). No idea what I'm wearing. April in TN can be 80 F and sunny or raining and 40. So we'll see. Not buying anything new though!

I don't really get the hoopla around weddings. Why spend so much on one party? Esp as chances are good that it will end in divorce. I spent $700 on my wedding and it was very nice. Didn't last, but oh well. ;-)

Tarlo Farm
500 post plus club

Postby Tarlo Farm » Thu Apr 07, 2016 2:07 pm

Borrow warm stuff. Tell people ahead of time that you're looking to borrow stuff. See what folks have. For instance, I could dress you in a ski suit, Arctic Carharts, some simple black polar fleece pants, assorted wind pants (like for cross country skiing), or simple long johns! :lol: :lol: :lol: Have fun!

kande50

Postby kande50 » Thu Apr 07, 2016 2:15 pm

pawsplus wrote:
I don't really get the hoopla around weddings. Why spend so much on one party? Esp as chances are good that it will end in divorce. I spent $700 on my wedding and it was very nice. Didn't last, but oh well. ;-)

Could it be because people are so often young and clueless (or old and still clueless) when they're planning a wedding?

I just read somewhere that most girls dream of the day they get to be a bride from the time they're little, which just plain doesn't compute for me. But then, my mother didn't have a wedding, and neither of my sisters had one, nor did I, as none of us apparently, had been dreaming of the day we'd get to be a bride. I think we were all too busy dreaming of owning a house and horses to want anything to do with weddings.

Rosie B
500 post plus club

Postby Rosie B » Thu Apr 07, 2016 4:08 pm

I'm totally with you guys. TeresaA - wear whatever you want as long as it's comfortable.

I would not have taken the least bit of offence to anyone wearing whatever they wanted at my wedding.... Then again hubby and I got married in our backyard and had a big potluck followed by party with an open bar. :) Most of the guests said it was the most fun they'd ever had at a wedding. That was a point. A fun and low key day for hubby and I, and a great party afterward. :)

Rhianon
Herd Member

Postby Rhianon » Thu Apr 07, 2016 5:19 pm

orono wrote:Bring warm stuff and then mail it back to your home address before leaving Canada.

Canada Post is very expensive for something like this.

I think the telling folks in advance you'll need borrow warm stuff is a great idea!

And, don't worry, a nice red dress always finds some occasion to take itself to.

PaulaO

Postby PaulaO » Thu Apr 07, 2016 6:10 pm

I NEVER dreamt of my wedding day when I was a littler kid. I was too busy playing outside. I had about 60 people at my wedding and my mother planned the whole thing. I really didn't care. My niece, however, got married just so she could be the star for one day. :roll:

Chisamba

Postby Chisamba » Thu Apr 07, 2016 7:39 pm

Rhianon wrote:
orono wrote:Bring warm stuff and then mail it back to your home address before leaving Canada.

I think the telling folks in advance you'll need borrow warm stuff is a great idea!

And, don't worry, a nice red dress always finds some occasion to take itself to.

I would think some one living in Canada would know what Canada post costs, no?

Chisamba

Postby Chisamba » Thu Apr 07, 2016 7:43 pm

I personally do not see why a nice pair of dress slacks would cost any more to travel with than a pair of denims. underarmor or most warm under layers would fit into the average bra cup in luggage. i do not see the problem with dressing well and still travelling light.

I happen to find denims pretty darn cold to wear, so I do not see this as being a warmer option.

orono
Herd Member

Postby orono » Thu Apr 07, 2016 8:44 pm

Rhianon wrote:

It can be, Greyhound is a much more economical option but not as convenient.

Return to “The Observation Lounge/ Cookbook Forum even Hot Topics”