Prascend how do you administer?

Melody
Novice
Posts: 59
Joined: Sun Oct 11, 2015 4:22 pm
Location: Meeker, OK

Prascend how do you administer?

Postby Melody » Fri Apr 06, 2018 11:43 pm

Going to start one of my horses on this tomorrow. How does everyone give the pill? Just put it in feed or in a treat? She gets a bunch of stuff like oil and a small amount of unsweetened applesauce with some supplements all mixed into the feed. Also some red cherry flavored liquid chasteberry. I have heard of some people putting pills in a fig newton, haven't tried that yet.

Hayburner
500 post plus club
Posts: 517
Joined: Mon Oct 12, 2015 12:48 am
Location: Western PA

Re: Prascend how do you administer?

Postby Hayburner » Sat Apr 07, 2018 2:44 am

Since my old guy is on Triple Crown Light, it's a pelleted feed so he would leave the Prascend. I put it in a small piece of apple and he eats His dosage of 1 1/2 pills and also an Equioxx pill.

Abby Kogler
Herd Member
Posts: 203
Joined: Sun Oct 11, 2015 2:29 pm

Re: Prascend how do you administer?

Postby Abby Kogler » Sat Apr 07, 2018 3:02 pm

I give it separately, just in my hand, with a small amount of grain (Carboraider Complete or Triple Crown Sr) and he eats it out of my hand. Its never been any issue. I don't want to put it in his bucket of supps, this way I know he actually eats it.

Dapple Field
Herd Member
Posts: 97
Joined: Sun Oct 11, 2015 11:44 pm
Location: NorthEast Kingdom, VT

Re: Prascend how do you administer?

Postby Dapple Field » Sat Apr 07, 2018 9:07 pm

For our pony, i just put it in with his tiny bit of grain. It's a deep feed tub so little chance of him tossing it out. I think the first few times I put it in a slice of apple just to make sure he would eat it.

Melody
Novice
Posts: 59
Joined: Sun Oct 11, 2015 4:22 pm
Location: Meeker, OK

Re: Prascend how do you administer?

Postby Melody » Sat Apr 07, 2018 9:40 pm

She licked her feed pan clean. She's not one to drop food and I think the pill dissolved in her stuff she gets. My husband thought we maybe should stop the chasteberry but I have heard of people giving both. I am assuming this prascend may take a little while to work?

User avatar
Fatcat
Herd Member
Posts: 312
Joined: Sun Oct 11, 2015 4:36 pm
Location: Oregon

Re: Prascend how do you administer?

Postby Fatcat » Sat Apr 07, 2018 11:39 pm

I put it in a fig or Apple bar (like fig Newton)
An attitude of gratitude brings opportunites.

User avatar
musical comedy
500 post plus club
Posts: 531
Joined: Sun Oct 11, 2015 3:41 pm
Location: New Jersey

Re: Prascend how do you administer?

Postby musical comedy » Sun Apr 08, 2018 12:13 am

My horse loves bananas. He gets 2 Pracend. I slice two small pieces of banana and stick the pill in the center. I've done this with other meds as well. The great thing about the banana is that he pretty much swallows it whole since it is so soft. To put the pill in something that requires chewing, he might get a bad taste and not eat it.

Palogal5
Greenie
Posts: 27
Joined: Fri May 13, 2016 1:26 pm

Re: Prascend how do you administer?

Postby Palogal5 » Tue Apr 10, 2018 12:49 pm

Melody - My horse showed a dramatic turnaround in 60 days after starting pergolide.
The medicine is too important and expensive for me to risk dropping it in the feed pan. I feed it by hand.
Some horses don't mind the taste, but many hate it. And it can give them a sour stomach. Mine will frequently go off his feed.

Melody
Novice
Posts: 59
Joined: Sun Oct 11, 2015 4:22 pm
Location: Meeker, OK

Re: Prascend how do you administer?

Postby Melody » Tue Apr 10, 2018 4:57 pm

I hope she doesn't go off feed. She usually starts doing that anyway in the summer because of her anhydrosis. That along with EPSM and cushings is hard to deal with. Anhydrosis got much worse since we added cushings to the mix. That's why I use a little bit of unsweetened applesauce. She will eat just about anything I put in her feed but doesn't like the ONE AC. Seems to eat it with applesauce. Had an acupuncture vet finally come out because someone on here said it helped their horse with anhydrosis and cushings but this vet was afraid to do too many points on her. Just did a few that were supposed to help immune system. So far the pill seems to dissolve in the mess she gets and she is licking her pan. She usually does not drop food as her face never leaves the feed pan until she is done. She turned 21 today, with all her problems I never thought she would make it this far.

User avatar
musical comedy
500 post plus club
Posts: 531
Joined: Sun Oct 11, 2015 3:41 pm
Location: New Jersey

Re: Prascend how do you administer?

Postby musical comedy » Tue Apr 10, 2018 7:41 pm

Melody, I have read (on Dr. Kellon's Cushings Group) that it is very common for horses to go off feed, but this is temporary. Mine did not go off feed, but he became extremely lethargic almost like he was tranquilized. It subsided in short order. I just increased to two pills within the last couple weeks with no negative side effects.

I had not read about Pracend giving horses a sour stomach. Palogal, are you giving Pracend pill or are you giving one of the compounded versions?

Melody
Novice
Posts: 59
Joined: Sun Oct 11, 2015 4:22 pm
Location: Meeker, OK

Re: Prascend how do you administer?

Postby Melody » Wed Apr 11, 2018 4:50 pm

The prascend pill. This is day five and she doesn't want to completely finish her breakfast. This could be the pill or time of year. She is in heat too. Seems lethargic but heck, that's her most of the time anymore. It's going to be hard to tell what's going on with her many problems. I left her in her stall for a little while this morning to see if she will finish. She ate over 2/3 and licked the pan where she ate. I guess I will have to resort to the fig newtons or apples to make sure she gets all of the pill from now on.

Palogal5
Greenie
Posts: 27
Joined: Fri May 13, 2016 1:26 pm

Re: Prascend how do you administer?

Postby Palogal5 » Fri Apr 13, 2018 11:45 am

musical comedy - I started 2 yrs ago with the compounded version and it worked very well. Then I got the second batch and I believe it was bad. He soon started to have problems and his ACTH started to rise. A different Vet strongly urged me to switch to Prascend and I did. He believes this is not a disease you can rely on a compounded medicine. Now I agree. Last winter he went completely off is feed for 3 months. This winter he's eating fine.
I also now give him some alfalfa hay with feed. It helps buffer the stomach.

Melody - My horse had a bout of anhydrosis last summer and I gave the ONEAC in a syringe with sugar free pancake syrup and water. He loved it

Melody
Novice
Posts: 59
Joined: Sun Oct 11, 2015 4:22 pm
Location: Meeker, OK

Re: Prascend how do you administer?

Postby Melody » Fri Apr 13, 2018 4:43 pm

It seems to be a no go on fig newtons. I offered her one and her brother that was standing next to her. He is not picky. He kept trying to like it, would take it and spit it out. She was not having it. Apples seem to work. I wish someone made a real tasty pill pocket like they have for dogs and cats. Not finishing her feed still but it got real hot and super humid. More like June. Our dewpoint right now is 67. That has always bothered her. Sophie has had chronic anhydrosis since she was really young. She usually eats the ONE AC mixed in her food but I might have to try and syringe it in her mouth. Nothing is easy with this horse. I am afraid it could be her last summer if something doesn't start to kick in. She looses over 100 pounds the last couple of summers and I can't keep her comfortable no matter what we do. That said she ran up to the barn this morning with her brother. Tomorrow we get cold again so will be interesting if that makes a difference.

User avatar
Fatcat
Herd Member
Posts: 312
Joined: Sun Oct 11, 2015 4:36 pm
Location: Oregon

Re: Prascend how do you administer?

Postby Fatcat » Fri Apr 13, 2018 11:21 pm

Melody wrote:It seems to be a no go on fig newtons. I offered her one and her brother that was standing next to her. He is not picky. He kept trying to like it, would take it and spit it out. She was not having it. Apples seem to work. I wish someone made a real tasty pill pocket like they have for dogs and cats. Not finishing her feed still but it got real hot and super humid. More like June. Our dewpoint right now is 67. That has always bothered her. Sophie has had chronic anhydrosis since she was really young. She usually eats the ONE AC mixed in her food but I might have to try and syringe it in her mouth. Nothing is easy with this horse. I am afraid it could be her last summer if something doesn't start to kick in. She looses over 100 pounds the last couple of summers and I can't keep her comfortable no matter what we do. That said she ran up to the barn this morning with her brother. Tomorrow we get cold again so will be interesting if that makes a difference.


Sometimes it takes a few times for them to acquire a new taste. Every time I change treats I get the "phooey!" Response :lol: Try apple bars and give them a few that are not pill filled first.
An attitude of gratitude brings opportunites.

Melody
Novice
Posts: 59
Joined: Sun Oct 11, 2015 4:22 pm
Location: Meeker, OK

Re: Prascend how do you administer?

Postby Melody » Sat Apr 14, 2018 4:58 pm

We are having a hard time finding the apple fig newtons. I guess she doesn't mind the pill in a piece of real apple so I guess we stick with that for now. Maybe I can find a recipe for some kind of apple bars I can make myself. When she was younger she would not eat apples at all. Took her a while to like them. Now my half Arab has decided she doesn't like apples anymore. Picky horses. She had a hard time yesterday, was hot and very humid. Dewpoints close to 70. Now today we seem to be back to winter. Hope this pill works with her.

User avatar
musical comedy
500 post plus club
Posts: 531
Joined: Sun Oct 11, 2015 3:41 pm
Location: New Jersey

Re: Prascend how do you administer?

Postby musical comedy » Mon Apr 16, 2018 1:49 pm

Palogal5 wrote:musical comedy - I started 2 yrs ago with the compounded version and it worked very well. Then I got the second batch and I believe it was bad. He soon started to have problems and his ACTH started to rise. A different Vet strongly urged me to switch to Prascend and I did. He believes this is not a disease you can rely on a compounded medicine. Now I agree. Last winter he went completely off is feed for 3 months. This winter he's eating fine.
I also now give him some alfalfa hay with feed. It helps buffer the stomach.
Palogal, when he went off his feed for 3 months, was he on the Pracend or the compounded?

My horse has always been fat and laminitis has always been a concern. He was moderately IR. This year he is losing lots of weight. The weight loss started when I put him on Pracend. When the ACTH dropped, so did the Insulin, so I'm thinking his obesity had to do with the IR and the Pracend put in under control. I could never figure out while he was so plump when he didn't eat enough calories to warrant it.

I'm am starting to question the ACTH readings. One I'm pretty sure was in error and I think it was my vet's fault. Possibly didn't process the blood properly or get it to the lab quickly enough. On 2/21/18 ACTH was 51. I increased to 2 Pracend on 3/15/18 and tested blood on 4/12/18. Came back 32.2. So...the additional pill only brought it down from 51 to 32.2. High range is 35. I'm not sure whether to increase it or not. Vet seems to be ok with it because it is not above the normal max, but I know that Dr. Kellon thinks Cushings horses should be low in the range to prevent laminitis.

User avatar
Fatcat
Herd Member
Posts: 312
Joined: Sun Oct 11, 2015 4:36 pm
Location: Oregon

Re: Prascend how do you administer?

Postby Fatcat » Mon Apr 16, 2018 4:42 pm

Melody wrote:We are having a hard time finding the apple fig newtons. I guess she doesn't mind the pill in a piece of real apple so I guess we stick with that for now. Maybe I can find a recipe for some kind of apple bars I can make myself. When she was younger she would not eat apples at all. Took her a while to like them. Now my half Arab has decided she doesn't like apples anymore. Picky horses. She had a hard time yesterday, was hot and very humid. Dewpoints close to 70. Now today we seem to be back to winter. Hope this pill works with her.


I just found these, the Equine version of Pill Pockets. They might be worth a try:

https://www.smartpakequine.com/pt/pill- ... avor-14365
An attitude of gratitude brings opportunites.

Melody
Novice
Posts: 59
Joined: Sun Oct 11, 2015 4:22 pm
Location: Meeker, OK

Re: Prascend how do you administer?

Postby Melody » Tue Apr 17, 2018 4:28 pm

Thanks! I checked them out and just ordered some. I have two other horses on previcox so if Sophie doesn't like these I am sure someone will. I knew there had to be something like that or someone should invent it. Thought we were over the off the feed thing because yesterday she finally licked her feed pan clean twice. Today we are back to not wanting to finish. I cut out some of her supplements, cut the feed down and added some timothy/alfalfa pellets we had on hand. Don't usually feed that to anyone but my husband had gotten some to try and get our old llama to eat better. The llama won't touch them but Sophie is eating some. Sophie is getting the pill in the apple pieces but I hope this smartpak thing works.

Palogal5
Greenie
Posts: 27
Joined: Fri May 13, 2016 1:26 pm

Re: Prascend how do you administer?

Postby Palogal5 » Thu Apr 19, 2018 12:23 pm

musical comedy - He was on the Prascend when he lost his appetite. His ACTH had gone up to the low 60's and we tried to raise his dose to 1 1/2. He stopped eating so we dropped it back to one. Later, we tried again to raise the dose and he did it again. So back to one pill again.

Now, I have no choice. His ACTH in January jumped to 200! Because of his history only raised it half a pill. Retested in March and it was 120. Had to raise it to 2 pills. I'll retest in May and suspect I'll have to go up again. This disease seems to be raging out of control in this horse. He's only 14 yrs old and I'm at my wits end with it. I could write a book about the saga of the last 4 yrs.

User avatar
musical comedy
500 post plus club
Posts: 531
Joined: Sun Oct 11, 2015 3:41 pm
Location: New Jersey

Re: Prascend how do you administer?

Postby musical comedy » Thu Apr 19, 2018 3:13 pm

Palogal5 wrote:musical comedy - He was on the Prascend when he lost his appetite. His ACTH had gone up to the low 60's and we tried to raise his dose to 1 1/2. He stopped eating so we dropped it back to one. Later, we tried again to raise the dose and he did it again. So back to one pill again.

Now, I have no choice. His ACTH in January jumped to 200! Because of his history only raised it half a pill. Retested in March and it was 120. Had to raise it to 2 pills. I'll retest in May and suspect I'll have to go up again. This disease seems to be raging out of control in this horse. He's only 14 yrs old and I'm at my wits end with it. I could write a book about the saga of the last 4 yrs.
So you are on two pills now again? And he's eating? My guy is showing lack of interest in his senior and leaving a little bit of it.

Dr. Kellon's site says to increase slowly, 1/4 pill at time. I didn't do that. I went to 1 and then 2. Gee, I really feel for you with a 14 year old with this problem. Is he sound and rideable? Any laminitis? My guy is sound, but retired and never had laminitis. Having dealt with founder, I am petrified of seeing it again.

Palogal5
Greenie
Posts: 27
Joined: Fri May 13, 2016 1:26 pm

Re: Prascend how do you administer?

Postby Palogal5 » Thu Apr 19, 2018 5:57 pm

He's only been on 2 pills since March. I raised him 1/2 a pill at a time.

I live in daily fear of laminitis... so far so good. He Has had 3 abcesses since Oct. Prior to that he'd had one abcess in his life due to a hot nail.
I've barely been able to ride him since Oct. because of the abcesses. Then in February he broke out in an epic case of rain rot. Head to tail. 100% of his body. So , couldn't ride because of that. Got it under control and last week it's come back in places. Based on how he's behaving and how the new hair is coming in I'm sure this disease is not being managed.
Now that grass is coming in I"m not so worried if he quits eating his feed. He doesn't get much anyway. I only want him to get the Smart Pituitary (double dose) and ground Flax supplements.

Looking back,, I'm sure this horse would have tested positive as a 10yr old. I think this disease was coming in his future, but he had colic surgery 4 years ago and I think the stress of that shifted Cushings into overdrive.

Palogal5
Greenie
Posts: 27
Joined: Fri May 13, 2016 1:26 pm

Re: Prascend how do you administer?

Postby Palogal5 » Thu Apr 19, 2018 6:00 pm

Also, I have to worm him more often. He now has a high fecal egg count every time. Clearly his immune system is not functioning.

User avatar
musical comedy
500 post plus club
Posts: 531
Joined: Sun Oct 11, 2015 3:41 pm
Location: New Jersey

Re: Prascend how do you administer?

Postby musical comedy » Thu Apr 19, 2018 7:10 pm

Palogal5 wrote:He's only been on 2 pills since March. I raised him 1/2 a pill at a time.

I live in daily fear of laminitis... so far so good. He Has had 3 abcesses since Oct. Prior to that he'd had one abcess in his life due to a hot nail.
I've barely been able to ride him since Oct. because of the abcesses. Then in February he broke out in an epic case of rain rot. Head to tail. 100% of his body. So , couldn't ride because of that. Got it under control and last week it's come back in places. Based on how he's behaving and how the new hair is coming in I'm sure this disease is not being managed.
Now that grass is coming in I"m not so worried if he quits eating his feed. He doesn't get much anyway. I only want him to get the Smart Pituitary (double dose) and ground Flax supplements.

Looking back,, I'm sure this horse would have tested positive as a 10yr old. I think this disease was coming in his future, but he had colic surgery 4 years ago and I think the stress of that shifted Cushings into overdrive.
Gee, I'm really sorry and I can really relate because I've had more than my share of horsey sicknesses.

I was going to write that it sounds like his immune system is comprimised and then your posted the same.

Why do you suppose he is getting the abscesses if he doesn't have laminitis.

What are you treating the rainrot with? I have not had that on the whole body, but I have had the 'scratches' on the cannons which I believe is the same species of fungi/bacteria. My opinion is that once some horses it is never irradicated. It lies dormant and then pops up again. You have to be proactive and treat before you see it come back.

I don't think many people with younger horses get ACTH tested. I'll bet that are some positives out there and they don't know it yet.

Is Smart Pituitary something you can give in addition to the Prascend? I'll check it out. I don't think you're supposed to give Chasteberry with Prascend.

Please provide updates here because I and probably others are interested.

Palogal5
Greenie
Posts: 27
Joined: Fri May 13, 2016 1:26 pm

Re: Prascend how do you administer?

Postby Palogal5 » Fri Apr 20, 2018 2:44 pm

I don't know why abcesses are common with this disease. Just one more fun thing that comes with it. This disease is so insidious. I liken it to Diabetes in humans. It affects everything in the body.
I've tried many things for the rain rot. Baths with medicated shampoos, Equiderma, etc.. Now I'm using a powder called Coat Defense that is helping.

I can guarantee you there are people out there unknowingly dealing with Cushings. My horse is not unique. I had to force my Vet to test him. He did not look the part at that time. No classical symptoms, but he was behaving like he had had a nervous breakdown. I was going on intuition. And, the fact that one of my best friend's horse got diagnosed at 10.
Unfortunately, now that he's been on pergolide for 2 yrs. he is now showing ALL the classical symptoms. Go figure...

I give the Smart Pituitary in addition to the Prascend. My Vet had to call SmartPak to ok the double dose. I was hoping it would help with the skin problems and give the immune system a boost.

Thank you for your interest. Trying to manage this horse and researching Cushings has become a full time occupation :(

Palogal5
Greenie
Posts: 27
Joined: Fri May 13, 2016 1:26 pm

Re: Prascend how do you administer?

Postby Palogal5 » Fri Apr 20, 2018 2:46 pm

Also, I just learned that Prascend is doing a study and offering free testing. If anyone is interested ask your Vet about it.

Melody
Novice
Posts: 59
Joined: Sun Oct 11, 2015 4:22 pm
Location: Meeker, OK

Re: Prascend how do you administer?

Postby Melody » Fri Apr 20, 2018 5:54 pm

Palogal5 wrote:Also, I just learned that Prascend is doing a study and offering free testing. If anyone is interested ask your Vet about it.


Free testing? I might have to ask my local vet, the vet that wanted us to try Sophie on this drug said she would be OK with us not testing. This on again off again with the feed will drive me nuts but at least I know why she is doing it. Last night she licked the pan, this morning left about a third. My girl also has scratches from hell. We have been dealing with it forever, many many years. I have a huge list of things I tried on her. Had it cultured from the vet. A very resistant bacteria. We have it more under control now then it's ever been. Just using Equiderma Zinc cream every other day.

User avatar
musical comedy
500 post plus club
Posts: 531
Joined: Sun Oct 11, 2015 3:41 pm
Location: New Jersey

Re: Prascend how do you administer?

Postby musical comedy » Fri Apr 20, 2018 6:17 pm

For scratches on the pasterns, Panlog clears it for me always. It requires a prescription. Have to keep picking the scrabs off.

For the kind of body rainrot that Palogal has, I would try an antibiotic. Not SMZ's, but something stronger.

I was talking with my friend last night about subjects related to this. She was telling me when she bought her ottb, he came with
severe rainrot. Before she could get a chance to treat it, he injured himself in turnout (laceration) and had to go on antibiotics. The
rainrot resolved and never returned.

Rainrot is bacterial, not fungal. It is Dermatophilus Congolensis. That's why an antibiotic would work.

Josette
500 post plus club
Posts: 849
Joined: Sun Oct 11, 2015 3:53 pm
Location: NJ

Re: Prascend how do you administer?

Postby Josette » Fri Apr 20, 2018 7:39 pm

When I started my 17 yr old on Prascend he started to have colic issues - 3 episodes. No prior hx of colic while I owned him. He was started on quarter tablet and then gradually increased to half tablet - ACTH was as high as 90 and then retested at 29. So now he gets a daily dose of Succeed paste and so far it appears to have resolved the GI issues. He also gets Thyro-L twice daily which was started prior to the Prascend. He had no issues with the thyroid medication so I concluded the Prascend triggered his colics. (Vet came out and tested him for ulcers too - negative.)

I give the Prascend half tablet in a small apple slice. I saw mention of the Smart Pak Pill Pockets but the ingredients contained molasses. That somehow seems like higher sugar content then an apple slice IMO. Has anyone run that past their vet for use with Cushings or Metabolic horse?


Return to “Veterinary, Nutrition, Grooming & Farrier Questions”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests