Seedy toe

PaulaO
Bringing Life to the DDBB

Seedy toe

Postby PaulaO » Fri Jan 11, 2019 6:10 pm

Ariel has a spot of seedy toe on her left front, at the apex of the hoof. There is a vertical crack. Farrier (Anthony) was out yesterday and trimmed and pared the spot. He said it will be fine til spring; there's no point in going full tilt into it because of the mud. Needless to say I've been Googling and am about to faint thinking it's going to full into white line disease. Anthony said not to worry, it's just a spot, she has good hooves, and it's very common this time of year. She'll have to wear shoes and pads if we go full into it now, whereas in spring she will have just shoes.

I'm talking this out loud. Any words of advice?

Chisamba

Re: Seedy toe

Postby Chisamba » Sat Jan 12, 2019 2:46 pm

It's easier to treat unshod. Try treat daily. Get whichever treatment you prefer as deep as you can. I like Durasole

piedmontfields

Postby piedmontfields » Sat Jan 12, 2019 11:25 pm

What Chisamba said. Much easier to treat now and you can follow up in spring if needed. Emi used to have quite a bit of white line (powdery) when I got her but with care and a better trimmer, it's been pretty much absent for years.

PaulaO

Postby PaulaO » Sun Jan 13, 2019 9:06 pm

Ariel has a consult with a certified journeyman farrier on Friday. He’s very difficult to get in with and likes problems. He wrote me a lengthy text describing white line, the biomechanics of everything including the notched coffin bone, and what showing is appropriate. He won’t have time to do her Friday, but if it’s straightforward, my regular farrier should be able to,handle it. I feel much better.

texsuze
500 post plus club

Postby texsuze » Mon Jan 14, 2019 7:50 pm

One farrier told me that putting Campho-phenique ointment in the area can help a bit. My oldster had a bit of seedy toe about a year ago that my farrier managed with the right trimming and his special formula of copper liquid mixture. My guy wears shoes all around since he is not a candidate for going barefoot.

Cracks often are a result of over-rasping, so I always monitor my farrier, since he gets a bit carried away with the rasp.

cb06
Herd Member

Postby cb06 » Fri Jan 18, 2019 1:33 pm

I like the podi green products (gel and liquid), similar to clean trax. They produce the gas which seems to be much more effective getting up into the hoof and killing the bacteria/fungus.

https://www.valleyvet.com/ct_detail.htm ... 4d0e7338be

PaulaO

Postby PaulaO » Fri Jan 18, 2019 9:25 pm

I got the second opinion today, and it jibes with what Anthony said. Pare out and Dremel the spot, and put on shoes to maintain the integrity of the hoof and to avoid any further cracking. She was just trimmed so I’ll wait a few weeks before shoeing. In the meantime, I’ll treat with DuraSole since I have that in my tack trunk.

Return to “Veterinary, Nutrition, Grooming & Farrier Questions”