Pentosan/Glucosamine

Srhorselady
Herd Member

Pentosan/Glucosamine

Postby Srhorselady » Fri Dec 01, 2023 11:00 pm

Thank you Chisamba! My Vet was able to order the Pentosan/Glucosamine combo for my guys at $130 for 30 ml which is about what I had been paying for just the Pentosan. I’m waiting to hear what dosing protocols I’ll need to use since they’ve been off it for six months. I have definitely noticed an increase in stiffness in my oldest horse since he’s been without his monthly IM injection. He’s also lame/off in corners now. Since he’s 28 I try to make him as comfortable as possible. His 25 year old pony companion, who gets it too, is still pretty active and it hasn’t been as noticeable. Thank you so much for mentioning it here so I could ask my Vet to follow up.

Chisamba
Bringing Life to the DDBB

Re: Pentosan/Glucosamine

Postby Chisamba » Mon Dec 11, 2023 7:20 pm

Yay, I'm so glad. I have all my horses that needed it back on it. ( all the older school horses that need a bit of maintenance.) We do the one a month protocol.

Srhorselady
Herd Member

Postby Srhorselady » Mon Dec 11, 2023 9:48 pm

I just started the once a week for 4 weeks loading protocol for my two since they have been off it for over 6 months. Then I’ll go back to once monthly. Keeping my fingers crossed that this combo will continue to be available! Several years ago I started one of my newly acquired senior horses on Adequan loading dose then changed to the Pentosan which is what I had my other horses on. I then compared his lateral work while on both. He was a 19 year old talented thoroughbred. His cross over in leg yield was several inches better on the Pentosan. For the last 10 years I’ve had all my horses over 16 (I just picked that age to start them) on monthly Pentosan.

Chisamba

Postby Chisamba » Tue Dec 12, 2023 12:56 pm

Well factually, pentosan actually had medical approval and in 50 years glucosamine never has. So....

exvet

Postby exvet » Fri Dec 15, 2023 1:00 pm

Chisamba wrote:Well factually, pentosan actually had medical approval and in 50 years glucosamine never has. So....

Yabbut..........the approved purpose for pentosan, here in the US, has been completely different than what we primarily use it for in veterinary medicine. Injectable glucosamine is approved by many European countries for management of osteoarthritis. Vitamin B12 injectable is FDA approved for use as an antidote for cyanide poisoning but that's pretty much it yet I use it for multiple conditions where deficiency of the vitamin is either proven or highly likely.

Research in what you plan to use or have used on your horse, cat, dog, etc is key. That doesn't always mean what ever the medical device or medication is made it through the FDA approval pipeline. Having done so also doesn't make or guarantee the item 'safe as directed' when used in any particular animal (individual) though the conventional acceptance is that if FDA approved the item likely is safer or less risky than not treating (or at least is supposed to improve quality of life on a recognizable level).

I feel like the pet food industry and the pharmaceutical industry have made life a proverbial jungle to carefully wade through at every turn. Even Dr. google only knows so much and the constant chatter/gibberish makes it even more challenging to sort through it.

Chisamba

Postby Chisamba » Fri Dec 15, 2023 1:16 pm

Exvet, pentosan is approved for arthritis. Yes it was originally appriveded in humans for cystitis,

That said I agree with you. Although the particular minefield us also neutrasueticals. Omg!!

They could be selling you dirt and claiming it's blah blah blah. The miracle cure for diabetes. Lol

Srhorselady
Herd Member

Postby Srhorselady » Fri Dec 15, 2023 3:52 pm

I agree with both of you! I have had discussions with my Vet about the possibilities of harm in these ingredients (which is minimal). I have also had multiple horses on Pentosan IM injections for years and my perception (ie anecdotal evidence only) is that it has helped with osteoarthritis in senior horses. From the advertising it sounds like the FDA approved product has met the effectiveness guidelines. Glucosamine I’m not as sure of, but there is unlikely to be harm. Which is why I wish to continue using this product at a reasonable price in my senior horses.

Return to “Veterinary, Nutrition, Grooming & Farrier Questions”