Dex and odd body odor

lorilu
Herd Member

Dex and odd body odor

Postby lorilu » Sat May 21, 2016 12:42 am

I have an older (27) retiree who struggles with Heaves/COPD, especially during our hot summers.
BEFORE I ask my question, let me assuage your comments/concerns/etc etc. I do all the maintenance tricks (wet hay, damp feed, mister, out 24/7), supplements (tumeric based histamine regulator (Histall H), smartbreathe, fish oil, occasional OTC Cough medicine).

Her vet has given me a Dex regime with occasional Ventipulmin that worked last summer. As we head into the hot season again, I have started the Dex to prevent a flare up.

I notice that when she is on Dex, she has a strange sweet odor about her. I know odors sometimes indicate liver issues. I know Dex is a steroid....

Before I call her vet, let me ask.... is this a normal thing? Is it her just shedding the Dex metabolites?

(She looks really good for an old gal!)

myleetlepony
Herd Member

Re: Dex and odd body odor

Postby myleetlepony » Sat May 21, 2016 1:19 am

If that is normal for her when she is on Dex, I would not worry about it. I've known a few horses that had odd scents when on meds or supplements, even non-stinky ones.

Chisamba
Bringing Life to the DDBB

Postby Chisamba » Sun May 22, 2016 10:16 am

It could be the turmeric our OTC cough medicine causing the odor, if the needs have been consistently and the odor is new I would ask the vet.

I have used Dex a few times and not noticed an odor associated with it. Dex is one of those very widely used drugs whose interactions and side effects are well known . Is she drinking more and urinating excessively?

lorilu
Herd Member

Postby lorilu » Mon May 23, 2016 8:39 pm

Thanks Chi. I am pretty sure it's the Dex, as she gets the others rather regularly.
Since she lives out 24/7, I am not sure about water intake......

Return to “Veterinary, Nutrition, Grooming & Farrier Questions”