Nose band?

Hayburner
Bringing Life to the DDBB

Nose band?

Postby Hayburner » Sun May 22, 2016 1:31 pm

Is a wider nose band more gentle than a slim one?

I found a nice Crown brand bridle and the nose band is wider than my old Stubben, and it's padded, will it be more comfortable?

Chisamba

Re: Nose band?

Postby Chisamba » Sun May 22, 2016 1:53 pm

I think the nose band should not be tight enough that width or padding makes a difference. Or in other words, if you have to put a wider or more padded nose band for the comfort of your horse, you are putting it on too tight.

Now, I choose them for appearance,. A big nosed horse carries a wider band better, a petite pretty face can be swallowed by a wide band.

Hayburner

Postby Hayburner » Sun May 22, 2016 6:22 pm

I don't fasten it too tight, I leave 2 fingers at the cheek area as my guide
Tho this bridle has a crank, can you also leave them on the loose side? Or due to the design do they have to be "cranked" tight? If so, it's going back.
My girl does have a more refined face so it might look too bulky. I just really like the white being to set off her features.

Code3
Herd Member

Postby Code3 » Sun May 22, 2016 9:14 pm

I agree with chisamba. No, you don't have to crank a crank noseband. So if you like the way it looks on your horse, keep it.

myleetlepony
Herd Member

Postby myleetlepony » Sun May 22, 2016 10:51 pm

Chisamba said it best. I ride one horse who's bridle is a crank noseband (built into the crown piece so can't be replaced). I leave it so at least three fingers can be placed underneath and it's fine.

Sue B

Postby Sue B » Mon May 23, 2016 2:48 pm

Rudy much prefers his nicely padded Red Barn noseband to the unpadded one even though, like many of us here, I don't make it tight. I don't know if it's because the leather is softer or the padding feels nice or what, but all I know is he likes his noseband. Tio, otoh, doesn't care so long as the bridle fits. Neither horse uses a flash btw.

Return to “Veterinary, Nutrition, Grooming & Farrier Questions”