Rustle bucks

gypsy still flies
Greenie

Rustle bucks

Postby gypsy still flies » Sat Oct 17, 2015 11:37 pm

Rustle bucks. Not all the time. Never really during the summer but it's fall and it's getting cooler. I never had to ride a buck because Gypsy wasn't a bucker so I don't know if there's something I should be watching for or not.

I rode yesterday and he was great. I rode today and he bucked. I stayed on and we kept working because I don't want him to think he can throw a buck and we're done. The only difference between yesterday and today was the barn was having a kid's birthday party and he loves the activity and attention. But after I mentioned to the barn owner that he bucked, she said he's been bucking in the morning when she puts out breakfast hay.

I did pull his BOT sheet out to use and I've been doing stretches with him. I didn't come off but I really don't like ruding a buck. Any suggestions?

Moutaineer
Bringing Life to the DDBB

Re: Rustle bucks

Postby Moutaineer » Sun Oct 18, 2015 12:15 am

If he's doing it out of joie de vie you need to tell him to tone it down... This is not a time to be overly sensitive about his feelings, just get his head up. I generally tend to pull harder on one rein than the other to throw them off kilter, and then keep them moving forward. I dislike bucking intensely.

You might want to lunge first to get him settled and focused if he's feeling a bit fresh. My new big guy can get a bit whoopee if he's been off work for a bit and its cooler. Lunging keeps us both safe.

On the other hand, if it is out of character and he's doing it, say, just in a,canter depart in one direction, then I would check his hocks, particularly, but also other potential sources of pain.

Canyon
500 post plus club

Postby Canyon » Sun Oct 18, 2015 1:15 am

Yes, these cooler days will get them going! My ancient WB even throws in a "yippee" move occasionally when I turn my two out in the morning.

I second Moutaineer's suggestion to try lunging. I've been lunging my youngster over cavallitti to strengthen his HQs; I can tell pretty quickly how much of a wild child he will be and let him work it out, before I get on. There's no shame in lunging before you mount up.

Suzon
Herd Member

Postby Suzon » Sun Oct 18, 2015 8:19 pm

I always do an exercise with them (before they start bucking, so they can learn what's expected first). Here's my suggestion...YMMV. Pick up one rein and bring the head to the side. Apply steady pressure until the horse takes two big steps to the side with his hind end...and doesn't cross his legs. By "kicking the hind end out from under him" you've stopped the engine so to speak. Now ask him to back up. Pick up rein, two big steps to the side, back up. Rinse repeat on both sides. If he offers to buck, stop whatever you are doing and work on this. It's awkward and hard work for the horse and he will soon learn that bucking equals something that's not much fun to do.

gypsy still flies
Greenie

Postby gypsy still flies » Sun Oct 18, 2015 10:07 pm

Thank you for the suggestions. I have things to try this week on my days off. Will report back on progress.

xc4fun
Greenie

Postby xc4fun » Sun Oct 25, 2015 6:28 pm

The Fall friskies! Get his head up and keep his tail down! :-)

Return to “Veterinary, Nutrition, Grooming & Farrier Questions”