Turnout question

Moutaineer
Bringing Life to the DDBB

Turnout question

Postby Moutaineer » Sun Oct 11, 2015 3:03 pm

I guess I'll get this kicked off!

So, I have had my new horse since February, He lives at a very nice little boarding barn. His current living situation is turn
out all day in his own grassy paddock, in at night--reverse that in the summer. His paddock is bounded on two sides by the mare pasture, but he is out alone. Barn Owner guards her grassy paddocks fairly fiercely so in spring and fall, or in the summer when just irrigated, or really any time when there is the chance they will get torn up, he doesn't go out.

I have the opportunity to move him to the gelding pasture. It is huge. There are six other horses in a pretty settled herd out there. They are a peaceful and largely fairly elderly group with an established boss. My horse isn't really the alpha type, so I think he'd just find his place and settle right in.

Assume proper socialization period by someone who is risk averse.

Advantages would be that turnout out there is fairly consistent. Very seldom are those horses kept in. He's get to socialize more and he'd get to move more than he does now with lots of space.

Disadvantages are the potential for injury (this is a pretty fancy, irreplaceable horse,) the fact that he might get herdbound, and it's a long walk in the dark...

Thoughts?

Chancellor
Site Admin

Re: Turnout question

Postby Chancellor » Sun Oct 11, 2015 3:06 pm

Oh, that's a tough one. I'm currently shopping for my next horse and I thought I had found a great boarding barn. But they only do gang turnout. I am just too afraid to try it. I'm always afraid that some barn staff isn't going to pay attention when there are arguments. Barn staff are usually kept too busy for that.
How large is the turnout?

Moutaineer

Postby Moutaineer » Sun Oct 11, 2015 3:31 pm

Probably about 4 acres. Lots of room to get away from each other. Highly visible from the entire farm.

Silverado
Herd Member

Postby Silverado » Sun Oct 11, 2015 4:02 pm

Always hard to know what may happen when turned out with so many other horses. It's a risk especially since this sounds like he may be your heart horse. How old is he? That's really hard call to make.

I hate when horses become herd bound but if you are bringing him in every night, that will give him a "beak" and he will not be living with the other horses 24/7. I think that will make a huge difference in him not becoming herd bound.

Really, really hard decision to make, think it over long and hard.

Just wanted to add….

I appreciate how hard this is for you. Good Luck in your decision making, I am sure you will make the right decision for you.

Fatcat
Herd Member

Postby Fatcat » Sun Oct 11, 2015 4:41 pm

How happy is he with solitary turnout? I.e. Does he put his nose down and eat without fussing about not having buddy? I've had horses that were fine being alone without another horse in sight, and others need to have their hoofies held or they have meltdown. Four acres isn't very big for 6-7 horses. If it was ten acres I'd feel better about them being able to get out of each other's way.

P.s. It feels good to have to forum back! Hope we can all play nice!

Ganas
Herd Member

Postby Ganas » Sun Oct 11, 2015 4:59 pm

If it were my horse I'd definitely try the gelding pasture, although I agree with Fatcat that it's a little small.

BUT, I've also never had a problem with herd bound horses. The only herd bound horses I've ever known are ones that spent large portions of their life in a herd without being in work at the same time. One of mine is not particularly fond of when any of the others leave, but he has no problem being ridden out alone by himself- working alone has always been a fact of life for him.

I like that it's a gelding only pasture as I do feel that reduces the chance of injury.

Imperini
Herd Member

Postby Imperini » Sun Oct 11, 2015 5:39 pm

You said the gelding pasture is peaceful and settled, so I if that is the case and there are no bullies among them then I would probably go for that option. If there are any bullies that makes the decision harder. In most situations I say the more turn out the better especially with a horse that likes going out. There is a risk, but there are also a lot of benefits.

PaulaEdwina
Greenie

Postby PaulaEdwina » Sun Oct 11, 2015 10:06 pm

I am all for herd turnout. Fella is out 24/7. IMO it makes for a saner, healthier horse. He is not herd bound. He occasionally gets scraped up in play and such, but again, I think that is normal, healthy, and expected. BTW Fella is out on about 12 acres with 5 other geldings.

Paula

Avola
Herd Member

Postby Avola » Sun Oct 11, 2015 10:21 pm

I'm all about turnout. My 4 are turned out every day all day and id the weather is nice (read: it's not pouring rain sideways) stay out all night as well. The total property is a bit over 13 acres and it's divided into two pastures about 6 acres each with plenty of trees for cover (this is Oregon after all - it rains - a lot). If the gelding pasture is peaceful and settled, I'd give it a try.

gypsy still flies
Greenie

Postby gypsy still flies » Sun Oct 11, 2015 11:37 pm

I have Rustle at a place with 24/7 turn out with the 4 stall shed row in the paddock. He loves it and has thrived there. He was at a place that turned out for 8 hours only every day except if it was raining, too hot, too cold, too "fill_in_the blank" and he was not happy. I moved him a year ago and he is a very happy boy.

Magicboy

Postby Magicboy » Mon Oct 12, 2015 2:32 am

I'd do the gelding turnout. Your guy will be happier in a herd after all. Are the others shod in the back?

Moutaineer

Postby Moutaineer » Mon Oct 12, 2015 3:31 am

Well, I'm afraid I bottled out... he's really quite happy where he is and it just seems like tempting fate when everything is going well. Especially at this time of year when everyone is feeling frisky and ripping shoes off left, right and centre. I will reconsider in the spring...

kande50

Postby kande50 » Mon Oct 12, 2015 10:06 am

Moutaineer wrote:Well, I'm afraid I bottled out... he's really quite happy where he is and it just seems like tempting fate when everything is going well. Especially at this time of year when everyone is feeling frisky and ripping shoes off left, right and centre. I will reconsider in the spring...

A friend of mine lost her best horse from a kick to the hock, which is what has motivated me to maintain so many separate pens.

khall

Postby khall » Mon Oct 12, 2015 12:22 pm

I do herd turn out unless a horse does not play well with others. I have large pastures with usually mix groups. I do watch carefully that the horses get along and will shift them around if needed. So I vote give it a try, but I would separate out one calm friendly gelding and let them get acquainted then gradually ad in the others.

Code3
Herd Member

Postby Code3 » Mon Oct 12, 2015 1:50 pm

I'd give it a try and see if it works. It sounds like a quiet herd.

My horses are outside 24/7 unless it is raining, then they are in overnight. I think it is so much better for them being out and moving, since they were designed to move and graze, plus they are such social animals.

I'm down to two horses and surprisingly I'm able to take either one away and the remaining horse doesn't seem that upset or even interested as we leave. They get slightly more animated when we come home, but not much.

greenhorse
Novice

Postby greenhorse » Tue Oct 13, 2015 1:47 pm

Ideally, I am a big fan of turnout. You already know the pros and cons. One concern I haven't seen yet is how stable is that group situation? By that I mean, how often does the barn add or remove horses from the group? Some barns think nothing of adding a new horse for a few days, and them moving them elsewhere, and adding another, etc. So, if the barn has that tendency or the tendency to just toss the new horse into the mix and see how it goes, I wouldn't want to risk it.

Hope that made sense....I should be sleeping right now...

Backyarder
Novice

Postby Backyarder » Tue Oct 13, 2015 2:28 pm

My horse has been in a small herd most of her life with no issues but last Nov she was turned out with a new mare for awhile. things were fine at first and after 3 months the new girl kicked Roxy in both knees, the right knee was bad, the injury penetrated the joint capsule...we worked hard to avoid infection and she is still with us, but it was touch and go. My point is..if he is happy alone he is safe...the other mare was not shod..there is a lot of power behind a horse's kick, shod or not...they have been in separate paddocks ever since.

Tarlo Farm
500 post plus club

Postby Tarlo Farm » Thu Oct 15, 2015 12:05 pm

If no one is shod on the rear hooves, give it a try in the spring. They're all geldings, four acres is plenty of room to get away if need be, he'll be happy.

Hoof'n it
Herd Member

Postby Hoof'n it » Sun Oct 25, 2015 10:40 am

Are the horses in the herd turn out shod? Fronts and or backs? If so, my answer would be no-way. You are asking for trouble.
If the horses all have no shoes, I would say at least try it. You won't know if he his herd bound, until you try it and give him time to get into a routine.

I personally hate having horses in sole turn out.... They are herd animals an do the best when they are in a herd. But add shoes into the mix and it's a recipe for disaster. So I have a few sole turn out grazers here as they have shoes on.

I have a herd of 9 horses in my back paddock, all get on really well, and all have no shoes or covers on. Injuries are just part of the course of having them in a herd, but you lessen the risk without shoes.

Return to “Veterinary, Nutrition, Grooming & Farrier Questions”