Udder cleaning

PaulaO
Bringing Life to the DDBB

Udder cleaning

Postby PaulaO » Thu Aug 25, 2016 1:02 am

Bob was obviously a gelding so I dealt with sheath cleaning. Miss A. is a mare and I have no clue as to how to clean her udder. Frankly, I have no idea where it is (well, I have a general idea). Any tips or tricks? Are there other mare bits that need to be cleaned?

Hayburner

Re: Udder cleaning

Postby Hayburner » Thu Aug 25, 2016 2:06 am

PaulaO. Thanks for posting this question. Having only a gelding for the last 15 years , I had no idea what the udders were! Lol

The best was the day my girl got mastitis and my vet said I should milk her! Omg my eyes got as big as saucers, who me!? Milk her!!

I had the vet teach me how to do it! It was not something I enjoyed, but it certainly made her more comfortable and she was thankful.

For my mare, since she did have a foal, her udders are more pronounced. I get a damp cloth or a baby wipe and wipe the fold between the two boobs. If she's really cruddy , I put a little baby oil or sheath cleaner between there, let it sit and soften the gunk, then thoroughly wipe it clean.

As for her girly parts, under her tail, I haven't tackled that yet

Luckily, my mare is fine with this.

Hope someone chimes in on how to clean the girly parts.

StraightForward

Postby StraightForward » Thu Aug 25, 2016 3:19 am

I just reach in between the udders and gently clean out any grime that has built up. My girl's breeder does this to all the mares, so she was used to, and enjoys it. I've used sheath cleaner when I already was cleaning my gelding's sheath, but it doesn't seem to be necessary. Much easier than sheath cleaning. I don't do anything under the tail unless there's a leaky butt issue, then just a damp cloth to clean things up.
Keep calm and canter on.

Chisamba

Postby Chisamba » Thu Aug 25, 2016 11:50 am

I just use fingers or a soft brush to clean. I do it daily when i groom. Unless you leave it for long time, no special cleaning needed.

I wipe underside of tail bone and under the tails with a soft dry cloth. If there is a lot of gunk, I dampen the cloth.

I use a separate but similar cloth and technique eyes and nostrils and ears.

Just part of cleaning.

Hayburner

Postby Hayburner » Thu Aug 25, 2016 2:19 pm

Well, I guess it's time for me to lift the tail to clean her privates...

myleetlepony
Herd Member

Postby myleetlepony » Sat Aug 27, 2016 12:38 am

My mare LOVED having her udders cleaned daily. I kept a pack of baby wipes (Aldi has them cheap!) and just made a wipe-down a part of our daily grooming routine. Wipe between the nipples, on each side of the udder, and under the tail and underside of tail. If you do it regularly, it's quick and easy. Just be sure to warm the wipe somehow in the winter ;)

piedmontfields

Postby piedmontfields » Wed Aug 31, 2016 3:26 pm

In summer, I clean her udder as part of the post-ride shower/hose off. She enjoys it. In winter, I use a damp cloth (but she stays a lot cleaner since she wears clothes). IMO, this is all so much easier than keeping geldings clean!

silk
500 post plus club

Postby silk » Thu Sep 01, 2016 10:59 pm

My mare hates her udder being cleaned, unless she's hot and sweaty and it's itchy. I only ever hose it a few times a year and might get an opportunity to give her a scratch an additional few times a year.

My filly foal LOVES being scratched up there so I'm making the most of teaching her it's a good thing to be done while she's in that itchy-foal stage.

I would only ever use water or mild soap, never baby wipes. Personally I hate wipes but that's just me.

Koolkat
500 post plus club

Postby Koolkat » Sun Sep 04, 2016 12:29 am

I clean KK's udder ~once/week. As she has sweet itch and I put SWAT on her belly, I will just run my fingers through there with a gentle scratching motion. I wear gloves for the SWAT and in addition, SWAT is in a Vaseline type base so there's no friction. I usually get off quite a bit of scruffy black stuff. She says it feels good.

She hasn't done this in a few years, but back when I was riding/boarding her, she would lift her hind leg and point at her belly with her nose when she needed attention!

Return to “Veterinary, Nutrition, Grooming & Farrier Questions”