What to use for Chigger bites?

Josette
Bringing Life to the DDBB

What to use for Chigger bites?

Postby Josette » Tue Aug 30, 2016 1:49 am

I hate these nasty bugs. My guy has white legs and got all bitten up with lots of scabs. He was stomping his feet so I've tried scrubbing his legs with Betadine soap, dry and apply fly repellent. I did not put topical cream as it attracts dirt. Is there anything else I should do to help these wounds heal? Any repellent that really works?

Quelah
Herd Member

Re: What to use for Chigger bites?

Postby Quelah » Tue Aug 30, 2016 3:56 am

I know nothing of chiggers, we don't have them, but panalog ointment (not cream) is my go to for nasty bug bites on animal or human.

texsuze
500 post plus club

Postby texsuze » Tue Aug 30, 2016 5:18 pm

For repellent (repellant?) that keeps stuff off, I use WIPE by Farnham (little green jug). It is slightly oily, not unpleasant smell, and needs to be applied with a rag, but it does the trick and lasts the entire day/night. Most fly sprays just don't seem to last like WIPE does.

How do you tell chigger bites from, say, ant bites? We have tons of chiggers around here during the summer, but my guy and my hens don't seem to be bitten (or maybe, bothered) by them. DH, however, is a 'red bug' magnet :)

Quelah
Herd Member

Postby Quelah » Tue Aug 30, 2016 5:23 pm

I wouldn't worry about dirt sticking to ointment, it's the way of it. Maybe keep his legs wrapped for a while with ointment on? Neosporin or some such. Those scabs will be more comfortable and will heal/come off sooner if you can keep them softened.

Return to “Veterinary, Nutrition, Grooming & Farrier Questions”