Blood Work ?

Hayburner
Bringing Life to the DDBB

Blood Work ?

Postby Hayburner » Thu Sep 22, 2016 1:39 pm

My new mare is quite a pistol when she's in season - at times - she's un-rideable for me. Her brain is just out there. She'll be fine in her stall but bring her out to lunge her and she's a nut case and a sweated mess. She did have a foal last May so maybe her hormones are still out of whack. Her udders also never really went back to a totally shrunken state. When she's in season they do seem to get a little bigger.

She gets very little grain ( low carb) , lots of hay - but, probably not super high quality. I did put her on Triple Crown Omega Max - golden flax and also a double dose of Mare Magic. I don't want to overload her with unnecessary supplements, but I'd like a willing and sane partner.

I'd like the vet to run some blood work to see if she's missing or low on any key vitamins/minerals. Not only from a moody mare point, but also because of how little grain she gets.

What tests should he run to make sure I am meeting her nutritional needs?

Thanks !

Fatcat
Herd Member

Re: Blood Work ?

Postby Fatcat » Thu Sep 22, 2016 6:36 pm

I'd say ask your vet. However, in our area we need to test for selenium as we're in a deficient region. Your vet ought to know what bloodwork to check for basic nutrient deficiencies.

Koolkat
500 post plus club

Postby Koolkat » Mon Sep 26, 2016 12:01 am

She may be physically uncomfortable (the way some people are) when her hormones are in that state. I had an Arab mare that was very uncomfortable when cycling, would squeal/kick out when asked for transitions, etc.

Hayburner
Bringing Life to the DDBB

Postby Hayburner » Tue Sep 27, 2016 1:22 am

Thanks Koolkat I have thought that could be an issue too. Especially since her udders still get a little larger.

I a, having the vet come to see if she has low grade mastitis and also get some nu,bears on her Vit E, selenium, magnesium and whatever else he suggests.

Koolkat
500 post plus club

Postby Koolkat » Thu Sep 29, 2016 11:02 pm

My mare would literally squeal when asked for a canter transition. . . .

Return to “Veterinary, Nutrition, Grooming & Farrier Questions”