Retiring neurological horse

jeniferkey
Greenie

Retiring neurological horse

Postby jeniferkey » Tue Oct 25, 2016 5:30 pm

Not really a question, but I'm working up to the decision to retire Miaren. He's been NQR for two years now. First he started stopping at jumps and then I started feeling something happening with his hind end at the walk and eventually the trot. To catch it I had to video him and it showed he was tripping behind more on the right, but sometimes on the left. The vet that came out last year said it was a stifle issue and we worked to strengthen it, but that work made him unridable. I'd mount up and he'd refuse to move. But, he didn't present as lame.

Anyway, I gave him a year off, hadn't seen the stumbling and started riding again. After a few weeks of light work he made it clear he didn't want to be ridden. This time I had out the chiropractor and then a different vet for another work up. He didn't present as lame, but the vet did say he's neurological on his right hind, and possibly his left.

The vet said I could do quite a bit of diagnostic work to see where it was coming from, but that he didn't see it as EPM or degenerative, or he thinks we'd have seen it get worse. We think the pain comes in when Miaren compensates for the control and uses muscles and moves in ways that then make him sore. I've heard of a number of people spending quite a bit of money to find the source, but very few who said that it was useful in bringing the horse back. He seems mostly normal on pasture, I can tell he's moving differently than in the past, but nothing someone who didn't know him would notice.

I will probably put him on a supplement that my trainer recommends, but it seems the kindest thing is to retire him. Over the summer he seemed fine when I first started working him, so I'm thinking that flexing and turning aggravates whatever he does to compensate. The vet really had to work hard to find any signs, but I know when he's stumbling behind and the vet could catch him not using the right hind correctly in his tests.

So, after the next farrier visit I'll pull his shoes and send him to live out with Emma, the Shire. He's not a lot of trouble at my place, but he's not made friends with the other two and terrorizes them a bit. I'm hoping he'll buddy back up with Emma and maybe he can have a grooming partner. Right now I'm it, and I don't scratch for nearly as long as he'd like. He's coming 14, so this is hard, but maybe I can take him out to the kennels some times to watch the hounds working from the pasture.

He loved jumping.

Out with the hunt.

Canyon
500 post plus club

Re: Retiring neurological horse

Postby Canyon » Tue Oct 25, 2016 8:50 pm

Gosh, I'm sorry to read this. He is a beautiful horse and clearly used to enjoy being ridden. This decision must be so hard...Hugs to you both.

Chisamba
Bringing Life to the DDBB

Postby Chisamba » Tue Oct 25, 2016 9:19 pm

I am sorry to hear this too.

I do not want to overly distress you, but i would like to give a little warning. I have had two experiences with horses that had neurological issues and in both cases retired them to live out their lives. the interesting thing about it is that they worsened more rapidly as soon as they stopped light work. The only reason i can think of is that some work requires them to retain muscle memory of how and where they are using their feet. Once they moved around less, the result was unfavorable with regard to maintaining footing in the snow etc. It is very distressing for a horse to go down in the snow, or to roll and not be able to get up, so I am giving you a little warning.

I am sure Miaren will he live a happy retirement, i just mention it so you can be a very watchful for loss of balance, ability to get up and down, etc.

quinta
Herd Member

Postby quinta » Wed Oct 26, 2016 12:33 am

Oh, I am so sorry to hear this. I enjoyed your posts about Miaren, and the two of you always seemed to be having such grand adventures. A really tough decision to make, even when it is the right one. I hope retirement is good for him, and that he indeed bonds up with Emma.

Hayburner

Postby Hayburner » Wed Oct 26, 2016 12:25 pm

Sorry to hear that you need to retire this stunning guy!

LeoApp
Herd Member

Postby LeoApp » Wed Oct 26, 2016 1:00 pm

I don't understand why you wouldn't at least do the blood test for EPM and if it is that, you could treat for it without going too crazy doing tons of diagnostics. I have a friend whose mare has EPM and her symptoms were very much like what you described. It never got any worse. It was just a NQR hind end weakness.

exvet

Postby exvet » Wed Oct 26, 2016 1:28 pm

I agree with the idea of investigating those diseases/conditions which are known to respond to treatment and do not require extensive diagnostics. In addition to EPM you might also consider a muscle biopsy. While I'm not saying he has any of the typical muscle/metabolic diseases a biopsy would not only cover those diseases but rule in/out equine (lower) motor neuron disease too. While he doesn't sound like your classic case, he is the right age for onset. I will also add that retiring him and doing what you can to keep him happy and engaged is also a reasonable choice/decision without going further.

LeoApp
Herd Member

Postby LeoApp » Wed Oct 26, 2016 5:35 pm

Yes I agree with exvet. I don't want to make you think that I disagree with your retiring him. Just curious why you would go straight to that solution without doing something pretty simple. And if you did a test for EPM and it was inconclusive, you could just stop right there.

Josette

Postby Josette » Wed Oct 26, 2016 8:17 pm

I'm so sorry to hear about Miaren. I retired a navicular horse and it was so discouraging being unable to keep him sound. I spent a fortune and tried everything. The worse part is he has a great mind for riding/trails/ring work and really missed not being ridden. He would self load into my trailer and I could take him anywhere.

Chisamba

Postby Chisamba » Thu Oct 27, 2016 3:19 pm

As a side, did you test for Lymes. Can present as you have described and is treatable.
Last edited by Chisamba on Thu Oct 27, 2016 7:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jeniferkey
Greenie

Postby jeniferkey » Thu Oct 27, 2016 5:56 pm

I do wonder if retiring will make things worse, but riding seems to make him feel worse than when he was off for the past year. I know Emma travels a lot over the 20 acres during the day, so it's not like he'll be keeping still and not getting exercise.

My vet does not think it's EPM for a variety of reasons, and said if we do test it's more than likely he'd show up as positive with the area we live in. I am following the advice of my vet. I've had some friends do all the EPM treatments and they both said they would not do them over if they had the option. The horses didn't improve considerably and it was a lot of money and anguish.

I have not tested for Lyme. The incidence of it in Texas is extremely low. Also, reading up on testing and treatment, it doesn't sound any more definitive than EPM for diagnosing and treating. Again, I'll follow my vet on this.

With the time off, over the summer, he got back to happy Miaren running around the pasture. And my first few rides back on him were pretty great. It was a contrast to green Topper who I'd been riding where Miaren would happily give me what I asked for. So, I think he can be comfortable again, which is my main concern at this point.

While I might not be following your advice, I do appreciate hearing what you think. My vet did think we could get him to a point of comfort and light work since the tripping wasn't severe, but he did want us staying off uneven ground, so trail riding was out, and I don't see Miaren doing basic ring work and not being bored. But we will be watching to see how he likes his life with Emma, and adjust accordingly if needed.

capstone
Herd Member

Postby capstone » Thu Oct 27, 2016 6:33 pm

In my experience, because the incidence of Lyme is very low in Texas, the vets do not have as much experience managing it as vets in other areas. I know my vet is not at all comfortable with the idea of managing a horse with Lyme, and I generally trust him implicitly with all of my horse's needs.

LeoApp
Herd Member

Postby LeoApp » Thu Oct 27, 2016 6:52 pm

Since Lyme is endemic to where I live, the vets here have LOADS of experience dealing with it. I can't even tell you how many horses I know that have had it and been treated for it, all successfully, I might add. I think Lyme is going to be more and more widespread over time. We do Lyme titres that show the severity of the disease. It is pretty accurate. Maybe vets from the Northeast should give a symposium on Lyme and its diagnosis and treatment, to vets in other regions. :)

jenniferkey - from your description I did not think 'Lyme'. However now that I am writing this, there a loads of other tick borne illnesses around. Some of them are scary as heck.

Anyway, of course you have already discussed things with your vet and pros and cons of various approaches. I think he will be happy in retirement!

Chisamba

Postby Chisamba » Thu Oct 27, 2016 7:05 pm

Yes Lyme is also quite widespread here. On more than one occasion a horse that suddenly started stopping or being stubborn, and tripping had a high Lyme titre and became completely comfortable with treatment which is why i immediately thought of it. However, not familiar with Texas, so I did not meant to muddy the water.

I agree on the EPM, from my experience it is pretty non definitive and my mare who had it did not recover at all after treatment. Some have had success with treatment of it. Since he has already been on rest for some time, and seems to have done okay, I am sure he will have a happy retirement with his new friend.

jeniferkey
Greenie

Postby jeniferkey » Tue Nov 01, 2016 5:02 pm

Small update. He trotted up for breakfast two days ago, hadn't done that in weeks. I dropped him off at the farm with Emma yesterday. He was born on the place, and seemed to remember it as he raced around the pasture with his tail over his back. Then he settled with Emma and this morning they were happily eating hay together.

LeoApp
Herd Member

Postby LeoApp » Tue Nov 01, 2016 5:30 pm

Horses have great memories. I bet he did remember the place.

jeniferkey
Greenie

Postby jeniferkey » Fri Nov 04, 2016 5:45 pm

I think Miaren's enjoying staying at the parents' with Emma. He didn't have big water puddles to play in at our place.
https://youtu.be/rbg9fwok0b4

Josette

Postby Josette » Fri Nov 04, 2016 6:08 pm

Now that is a happy horse for sure! :D

om!
Greenie

Postby om! » Sat Nov 05, 2016 1:38 am

It's a cheap and easy try. I had great luck with bee pollen with an epm horse, got it from Springtime. You will know in a week or so if it is what your horse needs. Hope this helps

Josette

Postby Josette » Wed Nov 09, 2016 11:17 pm

Jenifer - thought this article might interest you in regards to neurological dx and Vit E.

http://www.thehorse.com/articles/38401/ ... 11-09-2016

TeresaA
Herd Member

Postby TeresaA » Sun Nov 13, 2016 12:13 pm

I love that you considered options, consulted with your vet and then retired your horse so he could be happy. I'm glad that you didn't try to sell him or place him where you wouldn't know what happened to him. He's a beautiful horse and your love for him is clear.

PaulaO

Postby PaulaO » Thu Nov 17, 2016 4:20 pm

What TeresaA said. This it be right.

Return to “Veterinary, Nutrition, Grooming & Farrier Questions”