4 year old Dutch Warmblood - PPE - bone fragment off Navicular wing **update radiographs added

theautumnleaves
Greenie

4 year old Dutch Warmblood - PPE - bone fragment off Navicular wing **update radiographs added

Postby theautumnleaves » Tue Jan 10, 2017 11:16 pm

4 year old Dutch WB mare, Not in work, No other findings on extensive pre-purchase exam

My vet found a small bone fragment (rounded) off the wing of the navicular bone when he was closely reviewing the radiographs of the PPE. He thinks it might be from an old impar ligament strain.

Pre-purchase exam vet: Many european WBs have “curious” navicular radiographs. This mare has very large, straight, well-shaped hooves which are in her favor. She is very very sound.

My vet: This bone chip, along with numerous and large lollipop synovial invaginations ( more than he likes to see even on WBs), are of great concern. Resale will be nigh impossible if I ever want to.

I am between two opposing opinions and would love some additional insight. Thank you,
Last edited by theautumnleaves on Fri Jan 13, 2017 2:59 am, edited 1 time in total.

Chisamba
Bringing Life to the DDBB

Re: 4 year old Dutch Warmblood - PPE - bone fragment off Navicular wing

Postby Chisamba » Wed Jan 11, 2017 12:59 am

Well, i am the person who says xrays to not always reflect soundness, and a horse with a strange x-ray can be sound for life. But that would worry me, especially if it was an expensive horse.

Quelah
Herd Member

Postby Quelah » Wed Jan 11, 2017 1:40 am

Agree that many WBs have "curious" navicular radiographs, BUT that doesn't account for the fragment. Does resale matter to you? If it does, I would pass personally. There are places I'd be ok with a chip and have bought horses with chips. Navicular is not one of those places.

If you really really like the horse and resale is not an issue, I'd probably send the rads to a vet school or some such for radiologist's take.

Kyra's Mom
500 post plus club

Postby Kyra's Mom » Wed Jan 11, 2017 1:48 am

With the horse not in work, I would be majorly worried.

I had a friend with a gelding that tore the impar ligaments in both front feet. He came back from the trainers lame and never recovered. He was eventually euthanized. Ligaments are hard to heal well at best and that one in particularly bad if it tears. History of possible "strain" and I think I would pass.

Ditto what Quelah said if the horse were not going to be sold on. Get other opinions.

Susan
from susamorg on the UDBB

Tsavo

Postby Tsavo » Wed Jan 11, 2017 2:24 pm

If the horse was in work I would offer an extremely small (insulting) amount of money. Since it is out of work I would pass.

theautumnleaves
Greenie

Postby theautumnleaves » Thu Jan 12, 2017 9:24 pm

Well, the PPE vet had colleagues look. My vet had colleagues look. Guess they agree to disagree group:group.

My vet still thinks there is an avulsion fracture of the lateral distal side of the NB near the impar ligament - LF. However, he cautioned me that ASIDE from that, the synovial invagination lollipops on the RF are not just in the middle of the NB, but toward the wing. So he's basically very concerned there too. "Moderately High Risk"

If anyone wants to look for learning purposes, photos here:

RF
http://s446.photobucket.com/user/operad ... sort=3&o=0
LF
http://s446.photobucket.com/user/operadressage/media/LF_zpsubl4bvga.jpg.html?sort=3&o=1

This is the hardest PPE I have ever been through.

Tsavo

Postby Tsavo » Fri Jan 13, 2017 1:49 am

Aside from any future resale, I haven't heard any vet you consulted say this is likely to affect soundness. Will it?
Last edited by Tsavo on Fri Jan 13, 2017 4:59 am, edited 1 time in total.

theautumnleaves
Greenie

Re: 4 year old Dutch Warmblood - PPE - bone fragment off Navicular wing **update radiographs added

Postby theautumnleaves » Fri Jan 13, 2017 2:59 am

Yes, the "Moderately High Risk" is for a navicular bone related lameness.

Tsavo

Re: 4 year old Dutch Warmblood - PPE - bone fragment off Navicular wing **update radiographs added

Postby Tsavo » Fri Jan 13, 2017 5:00 am

I would walk away. Quickly. Seems like free might be too high a price tag.

Sue B

Postby Sue B » Mon Jan 16, 2017 3:51 pm

My friend bought a Holsteiner as a barely broke 5yr old. Soundness problems did not show up until he was in moderate work (she's an eventer, so long trots, and slow gallops, low jumps) and then it was intermittent. When he developed occasional stumbling with falling to knees, she had a full lameness workup done. His naviculars look like that 4yr old's. At the grand old age of 7, he is officially a pasture puff. Btw, he looks great trotting and galloping out in the pasture--no evidence of unsoundness at all!

Return to “Veterinary, Nutrition, Grooming & Farrier Questions”