Flax Substitute & Vit E Question

Hayburner
Bringing Life to the DDBB

Flax Substitute & Vit E Question

Postby Hayburner » Tue Feb 28, 2017 2:42 pm

I've tried both HorseTech and Triple Crowns flax - My old guy won't touch either of them and my mare will eat some of the Triple Crown Omega Max ( renamed Natural Golden Flax). The TC suggests a minimum of 3/4 cups a day - I dropped my mare down to 1/2 cup and I still find some left in her bin.

If there is some left at dinner - when I put her Nano-E in her bin - it gets the flax wet and she seems to avoid eating it up and any bits of grain that sticks to it. Maybe it's the taste of the Nano-E that she is not liking either..

Any suggestions for any easy for barn staff to feed, Flax substitute but still gives them the Omega 3 & 6's in a pellet?

Also, to simplify her Vitamin E - I may decide to switch her to a powder form (Elevate) once she's got her levels up and her injury is healed ( sprained ankle) do I need to wean her down from the Nano-E when I make the switch to another brand and form of Vitamin E? I have found that that Nano-E by giving her a double dose daily did bring her Vit E levels up quite quickly.

Thanks!

Sunshine2Me
Herd Member

Re: Flax Substitute & Vit E Question

Postby Sunshine2Me » Tue Feb 28, 2017 7:49 pm

I feed just regular flax seed to my gelding. Is that something you are able to try, or can they not have it for some reason?

Hayburner

Postby Hayburner » Tue Feb 28, 2017 9:00 pm

I thought I heard that it should be crushed and used asap to be most beneficial. Something about it not being fully digested and not absorbing when not digested.

It that incorrect?

Sunshine2Me
Herd Member

Postby Sunshine2Me » Tue Feb 28, 2017 10:14 pm

My gelding has seasonal allergies (yes, my horse has hay fever!) and I feed it about 9 months out of the year. I buy a big bag and store it in a rubbermaid container, and he eats it just fine and it does a great job. I can notice a difference in about 3 - 4 days. You could go to a health food store or bulk store and buy a small amount to see if they'll eat it before you purchase a large bag. We have a grocery store here called Hy Vee that has a large bulk section, and I bought the brown flax seed there initially to try it.

westisbest
Herd Member

Postby westisbest » Tue Feb 28, 2017 11:21 pm

I buy milled ie ground stabilized flax at the feed store. Get a 30 or so lb bag it lasts about a year. I keep it in the garage which I don't heat as I keep my farm winter storage potatoes in there as well :)... it goes in his baggy with mineral compound, joint supplement, Lysine and randomly as in after worming or feed change, probiotics. The contents get mixed in his breakfast complete feed along with a glug, about two ounces of organic apple cider and it all gets mixed together so no taste issues.

myleetlepony
Herd Member

Postby myleetlepony » Wed Mar 01, 2017 1:10 am

I used regular, whole flax seed. I would by a 40lb bag from the feed store and store in a large plastic container made for dog food, so it was sealed. I considered grinding with their teeth to be crushed and swallowed quickly :)

I have since switched to Renew Gold, which is flax and coconut oil.

As far as Vit E, I used Elevate to solve a deficiency and have now moved to Ultracruz for maintenance. Both are natural forms, but Elevate, NanoE and Emcelle are slightly more easily absorbed. I found the Ultracruz to still be a better bang for my buck as their dosage is 8000iu/serving. I figure he's absorbing more than half, so I'm saving money over doubling one of the other three. And no, there was no weaning down. I just switched.

Kyra's Mom
500 post plus club

Postby Kyra's Mom » Wed Mar 01, 2017 4:00 am

Our local feed store quit carrying the Triple Crown flax and although I like the Horse Tech products, my wallet didn't.
So, I am another that has switched to Renew Gold. It has flax seed, rice bran and coconut meal. My mare was leaving a little puddle of her powder supplements when I was feeding a cup of hay pellets with her flax, vitamin and Remission. She loves the Renew Gold. Not so much as a grain of Remission or a pellet of vitamin left in her small feeder.

Susan
from susamorg on the UDBB

Hayburner

Postby Hayburner » Wed Mar 01, 2017 2:16 pm

thanks for the suggestions of Renew Gold. Maybe with the added ingredients it has a better taste than plain ground up flax.

texsuze
500 post plus club

Postby texsuze » Wed Mar 01, 2017 9:20 pm

Manna Pro makes a ground flax (not pellets) which I like:

www.mannapro.com/products/equine/nutrit ... imply-flax

Right now I'm using their Senior Weight Accelerator, which is ground flax plus some probiotic stuff. Hasn't added any weight to my oldster, but his coat is shiny ;)

I've heard that adding peppermint oil, or maybe some form of fenugreek (?geek?) can possibly help with palatability.

greenhorse
Novice

Postby greenhorse » Sat Jul 15, 2017 3:25 am

I've heard some feed chia seeds.

Return to “Veterinary, Nutrition, Grooming & Farrier Questions”